View Full Version : PG Gourmet Series Bombones

BTcigars
05-22-2011, 10:29 PM
Size: 3 ½ x 43
Strength: Medium
Wrapper: USA Connecticut
Binder: Dominican Republic
Filler: Dominican Republic

On this particular morning, around 8:00 am, I was able to give this small cigar a try. I started by observing the physical attributes of this cigar. I noted how the wrapper looked silky in appearance. The aroma of the wrapper produced a cedary, pungent smell, while the foot smelled of wood and tobacco. When I pinched the body of the cigar, it was quite firm.

Next I took a Soligen single blade guillotine and cut the cap. The cut basically filleted the cap off, which was impressive and unexpected from such an inexpensive cutter. I tested the pre-light draw and found it to be loose. The flavors that I received on that draw was of a rich woody taste.

I had now lit the cigar and taken a few puffs off of it. These first few puffs were full of pepper. A bit of a contradiction since this cigar is so small and unintimidating looking, you wouldn’t expect such a large character from it.

The predominate flavors being offered up by this stick was of pepper, toast, and wood. The smoke was very spicy through the nose when retrohaling. The aftertaste produced a spice that lingered on the back of my tongue. The draw was still effortless and large blooms of smoke was being produced by this small stick.

It was at the halfway point when I finally tipped the ash. The ash was light gray and firm albeit the morning wind was causing it molt just a bit, but nothing serious. Shortly thereafter I decided the take off the band, which was easy enough, because it slid right off the foot of the cigar. The flavor profile had remained the same and now the cigar was burning noticeably slower.

Now into the final third of this Bombones, the taste had started to changed a bit. It was taking on a bit of a bitter character and I realized that the cigar smoke was getting hot. To remedy this all I had to do was keep one side of my lips lightly parted when I took a draw. The extra ambient air, included with the draw, cooled the smoke coming from the cigar and thus allowed more flavor to come through. This was easy enough to do since the draw was so easy on this cigar.

I was now having to put this cigar into the ashtray because I had smoked it down to my fingers. The flavor notes had changed somewhat and had become toasty and spicy until the very end. Even when finished with the cigar, the spice in the aftertaste was still present on my palate for sometime.

I rated this cigar a 4 out of 5, excellent. My full review with more pics can be found here (http://www.btcigars.com/?p=311).

http://www.btcigars.com/Photos/PG/PG4/PG4_001.jpg

http://www.btcigars.com/Photos/PG/PG4/PG4_004.jpg

http://www.btcigars.com/Photos/PG/PG4/PG4_008.jpg

icehog3
05-22-2011, 10:59 PM
Thanks for the review and pics! :tu

mfarre03
05-23-2011, 04:02 AM
Nice review, you know you could have smoked it down a little farther..lol

hscmit
05-23-2011, 07:27 AM
interesting little smoke, and thanks for the good review

sounds perfect for those looking for winter smokes

RevSmoke
05-23-2011, 08:57 AM
Don't know if I even dare say it, but this is one of the best cigars our there - at any size.

Emjaysmash
05-23-2011, 09:23 AM
Don't know if I even dare say it, but this is one of the best cigars our there - at any size.

I think I still have the pics of you nubbin the heck out of the one you smoked at Titletown.

BTcigars
05-23-2011, 09:57 AM
Nice review, you know you could have smoked it down a little farther..lol

LOL I know I could of smoked it just a tad more but I did want to go inside and get my pipe tool, which makes for the perfect nubber.

Also, thanks for the kind words everyone!

burnem
05-23-2011, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the review. I've wanted to give these a try nut feared they would be too mild/u.eventful. Guess I was fooled by the appearance like you were.

MarkinAZ
05-23-2011, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the review and pix BT. About time somebody laid out a review on this fine brand that's been around for a very long time:=:

Double dawg you Todd:D +1