PDA

View Full Version : computer trouble

AAlmeter
11-20-2008, 08:06 PM
I'm honestly about ready to boot the damn thing out the window. I'm very low on vitamin N and have spent the day dealing with things related to remodeling and the jobless situation. Ready to flip....

...and of course, the sound no longer works on the computer. When I reboot, the typical Windows chime works just peachy.

When I try to play a little Nuge to soothe the soul, I get this pile of bunk from my box of rocks:

Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly.

I've kicked it, rebooted it, and sprayed the f'er with WD40. Anything else I can do short of reinstalling windows or taking it out back and shooting it?

dunng
11-20-2008, 08:07 PM
What type of PC is it? From there you need to find the sound card drivers... Hopefully that is it. :ss

AAlmeter
11-20-2008, 08:10 PM
Uhhh...its an HP. I know Im running XP. It humms and the monitor shines. About as useful as I can be in this arena.

dunng
11-20-2008, 08:17 PM
Model?

Steve
11-20-2008, 08:17 PM
Ah yes, a little NUGE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3J-XYnZHfU) to settle the nerves!

Cigary
11-20-2008, 08:19 PM
Do you have the CD that either came with it or that you made to backup files? You just put the CD in their and run it and you can be specific as to what files you need to have put back in as you probably have your drivers corrupted or you can go to HP tech support and get it there. If the computer is less than a year old call tech support and they will walk u thru it for free. If you don't have a warranty prepare for a ream job for$50 to $100. Or you can do like I had to do this last week, order a back up CD becuz I was too lazy to make one and my laptop took a 12 pound dump on me and had to reformat the whole thing,,,good thing I backed up stuff on a flash drive. I love computers as they make me crazy!

AAlmeter
11-20-2008, 08:20 PM
Model?

It looks to be a Pavillion, a1424n.

AAlmeter
11-20-2008, 08:21 PM
Ah yes, a little NUGE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3J-XYnZHfU) to settle the nerves!

Brother, you linked to my favorite song....if only I could hear the damn thing!

dunng
11-20-2008, 08:22 PM
Sound Drivers from HP - LINK (ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software7/COL13903/pv-39086-1/sp26665.exe) :ss

dunng
11-20-2008, 08:26 PM
I went over the original port and had another question... Right Click on My Computer and select Manage - Device Manager - are the ? or ! for any items? Also then select Properties on them and see the status... :ss

Steve
11-20-2008, 08:31 PM
I was working on a couple of projects around here the other night while my wife and 9 yr old daughter we running some errands and had that track cranked WAY up. I didn't hear them come in. They caught me rocking the air guitar way hard :ss. I thought they were going to pass out laughing! Oh well, that's what dad's do!

Brother, you linked to my favorite song....if only I could hear the damn thing!

AAlmeter
11-20-2008, 08:37 PM
I went over the original port and had another question... Right Click on My Computer and select Manage - Device Manager - are the ? or ! for any items? Also then select Properties on them and see the status... :ss

You're off the hook! The link you sent me combined with a reboot got sweaty teddy back on the speakers! The neighbors are pissed but I'm quite happy....

Many thanks!

AAlmeter
11-20-2008, 08:41 PM
I was working on a couple of projects around here the other night while my wife and 9 yr old daughter we running some errands and had that track cranked WAY up. I didn't hear them come in. They caught me rocking the air guitar way hard :ss. I thought they were going to pass out laughing! Oh well, that's what dad's do!

I know the feeling well. I was putting in the ledger board for the new tub today. Naturally, I was going full bore Axl with the radio blasting 'Welcome to the Jungle' when my buddy walked in (without my noticing). He doesn't seem to think I do a very good Axl impersonation.

I think I'm pretty damn good....It's gonna bring you down! HUH!

*By the way....got some Fred Bear going now...

Steve
11-20-2008, 10:13 PM
:tu

I know the feeling well. I was putting in the ledger board for the new tub today. Naturally, I was going full bore Axl with the radio blasting 'Welcome to the Jungle' when my buddy walked in (without my noticing). He doesn't seem to think I do a very good Axl impersonation.

I think I'm pretty damn good....It's gonna bring you down! HUH!

*By the way....got some Fred Bear going now...

TideRoll
11-20-2008, 10:31 PM
The time-honored first solution to all Windows issues: reboot.

Steve
11-20-2008, 10:38 PM
Amazing isn't it!

TideRoll
11-20-2008, 10:53 PM
Amazing isn't it!

Indeed. When I've made trips to friends houses to help them with some odd problem and I just reboot it and it stops (which is probably a good quarter or third of the time), I almost hate to blow their image of me as the worlds fastest troubleshooter.

Something is up with one of my setups that is not that different than his. System themes not working and the sound card not getting picked up, every other boot, it appears. The system is up most of the time anyway, and it took me a bit to pick up on the pattern, but it only started a week or two back. I guess I'll have to start looking for some kind of hung update or something, etc. But anyway, I fiddled with it for probably a half hour when it first happened, even going so far as to download an updated driver. Then it hit me like a bolt from the blue: "Hey, reboot and see what happens."

dunng
11-21-2008, 06:14 AM
You're off the hook! The link you sent me combined with a reboot got sweaty teddy back on the speakers! The neighbors are pissed but I'm quite happy....

Many thanks!

Sweet, glad it helped! :ss

tedrodgerscpa
11-21-2008, 02:20 PM

True 'dat...

Mrs. TedRodgersCPA will call me from home saying "blah blah blah isn't working on the computer..."

My reply is always "Did you reboot?"

Fixes the error 9 times out of 10.

Glad you're back up and running, bro.