PDA

View Full Version : New lawn mower...

hammondc
05-22-2011, 01:09 PM
So, the old Troy Bilt finally kicked it. Flames and all. I went and got a Honda. That is one fantastic mower. I did not realize how bad my old one sucked. If anyone here is looking for a new mower, I can highly recommend a Honda.

E.J.
05-22-2011, 01:34 PM
Congrats on the new Honda.... There is something satisfying about a fine lawnmower and cutting your own grass.

I cut with a Toro 20057 Super Recycler and could not be more pleased....

hammondc
05-22-2011, 01:43 PM
I looked at the Toro mowers, but do not like that personal pace thing.

kydsid
05-22-2011, 02:08 PM
I like my Toro with personal pace, it really isn't hard to get adjusted too. Plus its a Toro with a Honda motor. :D

Volusianator
05-22-2011, 02:19 PM
:np

hammondc
05-22-2011, 04:53 PM
ok.....

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a142/hammondc/Random2/IMG_20110522_173258.jpg

TonySmith
05-22-2011, 09:20 PM
Nice mower, but I ride mine:D

TBone
05-22-2011, 09:46 PM
Ew look at the shiny one...

forgop
05-23-2011, 04:02 AM
Can't wait to get mine back out of the shop. This rain has been brutal on my grass as it grows to be almost a foot tall in spots in just 10 days. I feel bad with my neighbor's yards looking perfect while mine looks like a disaster in the meantime. At the moment, I even wish I had a 21" push mower so I could do it.

mfarre03
05-23-2011, 04:04 AM
Real men ride!!...get ridden?? idk...nevermind

thebayratt
05-23-2011, 07:10 AM
I had a Toro with the personal pace a handful of years ago. It would haul butt... but the belt started slipping bad.. Then hurricane Katrina decided she wanted it more than I did!
Then I got a Cub Cadet with the free spinning front wheels. It was nice until the Kohler engine screwed up and mysteriously "wasn't under warranty"..... BS
So now, have a Troy Built High-wheel, with the Honda. No self propelled, no fancy this that or another. Just a strong simple mower. Have had no problems yet from it.

76GTFan
05-23-2011, 07:13 AM
Have a Honda, but recently went to a reel mower. For you Bermuda folks, its the beez kneez.

hammondc
05-23-2011, 07:35 AM

One of these days, I will have a yard big enough to justify it. Unfortunately, the houses here are crammed together so tight that everyone get a small yard.

Ew look at the shiny one...

I know. Give it a couple weeks, it'll at least be dusty.

I had a Toro with the personal pace a handful of years ago. It would haul butt... but the belt started slipping bad.. Then hurricane Katrina decided she wanted it more than I did!
Then I got a Cub Cadet with the free spinning front wheels. It was nice until the Kohler engine screwed up and mysteriously "wasn't under warranty"..... BS
So now, have a Troy Built High-wheel, with the Honda. No self propelled, no fancy this that or another. Just a strong simple mower. Have had no problems yet from it.

My brother in law has the same mower. I like the free front wheels but the engine is garbage. I think the newer one have Briggs & Stratton.

Have a Honda, but recently went to a reel mower. For you Bermuda folks, its the beez kneez.

I have St Augustine. However, my neighbors mix of at least 10 different grasses/weeds has some bermuda and it is creeping into my yard. I will I had a way to kill it.

OLS
05-23-2011, 07:41 AM
Don't worry, your St. Augustine will soon teach him a lesson on invasiveness. :r If you want my advice,
take a cane knife to the dividing line ASAP. Sharpen that bad boy up and chop you a nice DEEP line and
cut off all the subterranean feelers. It won't be long before the bermuda is sustaining itself. You might
still have a shot.

hammondc
05-23-2011, 07:44 AM
Don't worry, your St. Augustine will soon teach him a lesson on invasiveness. :r If you want my advice,
take a cane knife to the dividing line ASAP. Sharpen that bad boy up and chop you a nice DEEP line and
cut off all the subterranean feelers. It won't be long before the bermuda is sustaining itself. You might
still have a shot.

Yep. I should try that. I think the problem is the seedlings are blowing into my lawn. The patch of bermuda is in the middle of the yard. Stupid grass.

76GTFan
05-23-2011, 07:47 AM
I have St Augustine. However, my neighbors mix of at least 10 different grasses/weeds has some bermuda and it is creeping into my yard. I will I had a way to kill it.

You can't kill it. Put zoysia down if you want. that will kill Bermuda.

HK3-
05-23-2011, 12:36 PM
Reminds me of my dads old mower when I was a kid... 5hp craftsman that I used to cut bike trails in the woods when he wasn't mowing the yard. That thing was a tough mutta....

I cut my grass at lunch time today. Using a 52 inch zero turn on less than half an acre sure makes it simple. ;)

BC-Axeman
05-23-2011, 01:05 PM
Personally, on a small residential sized lawn, I would rather use a push type reel mower.
I have a twenty year old 4hp Craftsman for my lawn. If it dies I'll probably put a new motor on it like I did on my DR trimmer mower. Went bigger... uhr, uhr, uhr. (BTW, always check for mouse nests under the covers where the air cools the head after storage for a while.)
California has banned a lot of engines and tools so we have to get creative out here.

CRIMPS
05-23-2011, 01:30 PM
The Honda is pricy, but worth it in my opinion.

I may be shopping for a riding lawn mower in the near future...

Volusianator
05-23-2011, 01:48 PM

Our yard is just over an acre, I sold our rider last year, I can use the exercise.

TonySmith
05-23-2011, 03:48 PM
Our yard is just over an acre, I sold our rider last year, I can use the exercise.

Actually my wife does the mowing...I don't complain

junkinduck
05-23-2011, 04:17 PM
If I were to start with a push mower by the time I were finished it would be time to start again. Hard to smoke when pushing been looking for a way to mount a cigar holder to the old simplicity.

T.G
05-23-2011, 04:24 PM
If I were to start with a push mower by the time I were finished it would be time to start again. Hard to smoke when pushing been looking for a way to mount a cigar holder to the old simplicity.

Any place to clip one of these?
http://www.cigarsinternational.com/prodDisp.asp?item=M-44824-2&cat=82

longknocker
05-23-2011, 04:43 PM

My Golf Cart!:tu:D Works Great & Clips To Just About Anything!:)

junkinduck
05-23-2011, 08:43 PM

have to order one next time. looks like it might be handy for all sorts of things.

Volusianator
05-23-2011, 09:13 PM
I won my push mower in a putting contest in 1990, Ariens and still works like the day I got it, love that mower.

hammondc
05-24-2011, 05:56 AM
I won my push mower in a putting contest in 1990, Ariens and still works like the day I got it, love that mower.

Ariens makes some nice stuff.

jerseyjay
05-24-2011, 07:13 AM
Nothing like riding a tractor, mowing grass, sipping on a cold one, smoking a fine stogie and listening to good music. Bliss !

Nevertheless, enjoy your new lawn mower ;)

E.J.
05-24-2011, 07:45 AM

21+ years worth of service lawn mower....that was one Hell of a putt(series of putts)..:tu

RGD.
05-24-2011, 05:03 PM
So, the old Troy Bilt finally kicked it. Flames and all. I went and got a Honda. That is one fantastic mower. I did not realize how bad my old one sucked. If anyone here is looking for a new mower, I can highly recommend a Honda.

When I replaced my old Troy Bilt several years ago I went with a Troy Bilt with a Honda motor.

:tu

Ron