PDA

View Full Version : Why Herf?

massphatness
11-20-2008, 07:40 PM
I returned to Massachusetts on Sunday from a weekend of herfing in conjunction with the Ybor City Cigar Heritage Festival in Tampa. I’ve been doing a great deal of thinking about herfs in general since I’ve been back, and while a lot of the inmates in the asylum have been around the block on this topic a few times, I’m writing this from the perspective of a relative noob.

I attended my first big herf – NERF – in Boston earlier this year, but that was more a fundraiser than a true herf. I also hosted a couple BBQ herfs this summer at my house, but nothing – NOTHING – prepared me for what lay in store during the weekend in Tampa. Maybe it was because I was too busy organizing and cooking during my own herfs to notice, or maybe it was because I already had met a lot of the guys I had invited, but travelling to Tampa to hang with a bunch of people I only knew through posts, PMs and the occasional phone call was a mind-bending experience in a lot of ways.

It had nothing to do with the festival and really, very little to do with the cigars. It was finally meeting some of the guys and gal (Hi SailKat!) whom I’ve had the opportunity to interact with through posts and PMs, bombs and trades, phone calls and e-mails that really made this special. There are people on this site whom I referred to as friends though I had never met them – guys like TripleF, awsmith4, ir13, av8tor152nd, rck70 and goodfella. Having now met them, spent time with them, laughed with them and shared cigars with them, well, those friendships have been cemented for me. Going forward, it’s going to be so much more fun to interact with them on and off CA.

Then there were the guys I was a little intimated by … in Tampa, SailChaser fell into this category. I don’t know why, but I was always hesitant to really interact with him in any significant way prior to the Tampa herf. Call it what you will. Intimated by his reputation, knowledge, etc. I don’t know, but I was a little nervous about meeting the guy. Turns out, I’m a big stupid head for thinking that way. Chris was one of the friendliest down to earth guys you could hope to meet. It was a true pleasure to get to know him and his wife (Hi again, SailKat!) better.

Finally there were the guys who I see around the site, and for whatever reason, I just never had the opportunity to get to know that well or perhaps at all. From ucubed to Barbourjay to S0leful0ne to ScottishSmoker, CBI_2, Rizzle, landhoney, wolfgang, joetownhound, jbonnefsc, Tenor CS and Mikepd – all these guys were there, and I had the wonderful opportunity to hang with them and get to know them. Some of them I still don’t know as well as I would like, but with others I formed the beginnings of some friendships.

I smoked some rockin’ sticks during the weekend. No doubt about it. But I came away from the experience not so much remembering the cigars, but the people.

loki
11-20-2008, 07:41 PM
why ask why, try herf mouth dry

Darrell
11-20-2008, 07:43 PM
Herfing rocks, plain and simple. I met some of my best friends herfing. :2

Mugen910
11-20-2008, 07:46 PM
Herfs are boring! :D

j/k!

I can't wait to meet more people when I fly to Cali and Fla for my yearly family visits!

Darrell
11-20-2008, 07:46 PM
I can't wait to meet more people when I fly to Cali and Fla yearly!

CA can wait. I promise. :D

LasciviousXXX
11-20-2008, 07:48 PM
Great post brother! It basically sums up why most of us are here.... we came for the cigars, and stayed for the friendships :tu

Mugen910
11-20-2008, 07:50 PM
CA can wait. I promise. :D

ouch brother..ouch!

joeybear
11-20-2008, 07:53 PM
Smoking cigars with BOTL/SOTL is the best way I can think of to spend the day doing what I love. The drinks and/or BBQ that often erupt during the herf are strictly bonuses :D

Tenor CS
11-20-2008, 07:59 PM
Is it just me, or do cigars actually taste BETTER at a herf?

Mugen910
11-20-2008, 08:00 PM

Yes they do!!! I also found that I can smoke much more without the Vitamin N overdose too.

av8tor152d
11-20-2008, 08:01 PM
Totally agree with you on this one Vin.

brigey57
11-20-2008, 09:03 PM
The point of discussing cigars like at the Asylum is you get to talk about what you love second most in the world (Cigars). When you say something there is a level of anonymity where unless it is obvious you don't know what you are talking about, you may get away with saying it. But when you meet the guys you only know as Bigal5578 then there is a name Joe and a face that you will associate as having a good time with. There is something to be said about getting together with a BOTL and swap stories and cigars that just can't be beat. :D:ss:D

Scottw
11-20-2008, 09:19 PM
great post brother!!

MithShrike
11-20-2008, 09:55 PM
Every herf I have attended has been very nice. Alas, getting the Desert Herf Crew together is sometimes rather difficult.

landhoney
11-20-2008, 10:03 PM

The Monte Especial's sure are older at these herfs, new I should have saved some up for later when I turned four.

Savor the Stick
11-20-2008, 10:36 PM
I returned to Massachusetts on Sunday from a weekend of herfing in conjunction with the Ybor City Cigar Heritage Festival in Tampa. I’ve been doing a great deal of thinking about herfs in general since I’ve been back, and while a lot of the inmates in the asylum have been around the block on this topic a few times, I’m writing this from the perspective of a relative noob.

I attended my first big herf – NERF – in Boston earlier this year, but that was more a fundraiser than a true herf. I also hosted a couple BBQ herfs this summer at my house, but nothing – NOTHING – prepared me for what lay in store during the weekend in Tampa. Maybe it was because I was too busy organizing and cooking during my own herfs to notice, or maybe it was because I already had met a lot of the guys I had invited, but travelling to Tampa to hang with a bunch of people I only knew through posts, PMs and the occasional phone call was a mind-bending experience in a lot of ways.

It had nothing to do with the festival and really, very little to do with the cigars. It was finally meeting some of the guys and gal (Hi SailKat!) whom I’ve had the opportunity to interact with through posts and PMs, bombs and trades, phone calls and e-mails that really made this special. There are people on this site whom I referred to as friends though I had never met them – guys like TripleF, awsmith4, ir13, av8tor152nd, rck70 and goodfella. Having now met them, spent time with them, laughed with them and shared cigars with them, well, those friendships have been cemented for me. Going forward, it’s going to be so much more fun to interact with them on and off CA.

Then there were the guys I was a little intimated by … in Tampa, SailChaser fell into this category. I don’t know why, but I was always hesitant to really interact with him in any significant way prior to the Tampa herf. Call it what you will. Intimated by his reputation, knowledge, etc. I don’t know, but I was a little nervous about meeting the guy. Turns out, I’m a big stupid head for thinking that way. Chris was one of the friendliest down to earth guys you could hope to meet. It was a true pleasure to get to know him and his wife (Hi again, SailKat!) better.

Finally there were the guys who I see around the site, and for whatever reason, I just never had the opportunity to get to know that well or perhaps at all. From ucubed to Barbourjay to S0leful0ne to ScottishSmoker, CBI_2, Rizzle, landhoney, wolfgang, joetownhound, jbonnefsc, Tenor CS and Mikepd – all these guys were there, and I had the wonderful opportunity to hang with them and get to know them. Some of them I still don’t know as well as I would like, but with others I formed the beginnings of some friendships.

I smoked some rockin’ sticks during the weekend. No doubt about it. But I came away from the experience not so much remembering the cigars, but the people.

Yeah!

Skywalker
11-20-2008, 10:51 PM

I really think so!!! So it isn't just you!!!

Vin, Nicely stated!!!

bobarian
11-20-2008, 11:36 PM
For those who have never herfed its kind of hard to understand. But after you go to your first your life will change. It's really amazing to interact with people who you dont know except by a screen name. I attended my first herf just over a year ago. To see how much I have learned and grown is just amazing. The friends I have made over a simple bit of rolled tobacco are truly some of my closest in the world. The prospect of meeting more in the future always keeps me herfing whenever I can. Reading about some of the legendary herfs has me yearning to attend. MOB might be kind of far away, but SoCal is close and the Shack seems closer than ever. The coming years vacations will be planned around herfing and meeting new friends and putting more faces together with their names. Herfing is living!:ih:dance::ss

icehog3
11-21-2008, 12:22 AM
Great post, Vin. :)

Great post brother! It basically sums up why most of us are here.... we came for the cigars, and stayed for the friendships :tu

That says it all, Brother. :tu

They absolutely do. :)

Reading about some of the legendary herfs has me yearning to attend. MOB might be kind of far away....

Just do it. ;) :D

SNKBYT
11-21-2008, 02:19 AM
herfs are great, but like stated "its the friendships" that last
I've been herfing in FL, MD, IL, NO and now Afghan..........the friendships I have made at these herfs and here @ CA will stand the test of time (with a little work & a few cigars).........for those I've not yet herfed with, hope to see ya in FL next year

newcigarz
11-21-2008, 03:54 AM
Nice post Vin. I hope to be added to your list one day. :ss

massphatness
11-21-2008, 05:09 AM
Nice post Vin. I hope to be added to your list one day. :ss

You, sir, are ON the list -- what we need to do is cross your name off it! :)

Cigarcop
11-21-2008, 05:47 AM
A great post!

Initially just thinking about attending a Herf could seem intimidating to a new guy. But after reading the post seems as if everyones accepted, finds their way, and is welcomed into the family.
Still nervous about attending my first one but look forward to it as well.

BigBruce
11-21-2008, 05:56 AM
I know when I look at the pics it looks like a great time. Hopefully when I get home I can go to a stateside herf. :ss

Smokin Gator
11-21-2008, 06:34 AM
Great post brother... I know I am not missing next years Ybor event!!

ucla695
11-21-2008, 06:52 AM

They certainly do. Whether it's smoking around another or many other cigar enthusiasts. For me, it adds to the experience. Some of my most cherished cigar smoking experiences have been around other BOTLs. Smoking solo pales in comparison.

ahc4353
11-21-2008, 07:04 AM
My first large (more than one other) HERF was with the MASSHOLES. The kindness and generosity that was bestowed upon me by those men and women is a memory that will last a lifetime. Truly a day that I will never forget.

My personal Holy Grail of HERFS is the SHACK. I know of no other event that puts so many people that I would like to meet and say thank you to in one place at one time. One day the planets will align and I will be in attendance. One day.

HERF when you can with one or many it makes no difference.

Nice post Vin.

awsmith4
11-21-2008, 09:02 AM
Nice post Vin!

I agree I had more fun meeting and hanging out with everyone than any other part of the trip.

rizzle
11-21-2008, 10:05 AM
Great post Vin and I share many of the same thoughts as you.

I had never been to a herf before, period. So I was a little nervous beforehand. Not in the sense of meeting new people, I love to meet new folks, but in the sense of embarassing myself with such little knowledge of this hobby of ours.

The cigars that are premium to me are afterthoughts to others, I'm not a "habanophile" and know jack-diddly about cuban cigars. I don't have boxes laying around to just dole out to everyone like pieces of gum. So, in that sense I was intimidated as well. I'm sure no one came away from meeting me saying that guy bombed the hell out of me with all these great cigars and I want on his buddy list for sure.

But you know what? I'm not out to impress anyone, I'm out to meet people and live my life. I enjoy a good cigar but I enjoy a good person much more. That I accomplished--thanks to all of you in attendance at this event. I walked away from Russ's house knowing that this herf was the first of many more that I will attend, and that the people that I met and friendships that I started were the reason I was there in the first place. Everything else really doesn't matter.

:salute:

poker
11-21-2008, 10:41 AM
Herfs are a great way to put faces on the folks you see here everyday. Its true, its not about the cigars. Its about the people.

I can still remember the SoCal I Herf. It was one of the first real big gatherings I attended. It was a blend of folks from 2 major places. ICG & ASC. There was probably 100 folks in all, and like someone mentioned earlier, I was pretty uneasy at first seeing what these guys brought not only to smoke, but to also pass out to everyone. I felt seriously under gunned. One of the old time ASC folks (Mig) told me not to worry about what cigars others had brought. He told me just have fun, work the room and talk to folks I never met. Following his suggestion gave me something very special. It gave me the beginnings of many friendships that still exist to this day. That was almost 10 years ago.

So my suggestion to those new to herfs or have never attended one before, would be to not worry what other folks have. It dosent matter if their smokes are older or better than yours. It dosent matter if they bring their cigars in a ziplock bag or a custom painted Zero Haiburton. It dosent matter if you brought only 6 cigars and many others brought 200. Your religious, professional, or racial background makes absolutely no difference. It makes no difference if you are a millionaire or just making ends meet. None of this matters.

The one thing that really matters is that you are there. Because if that happens, chances are you'll find others there that you'll bond with over great conversation, good cigars, and it just may be the beginning of some close friendships that will wear on through the years, no matter how far apart you may be.

The only thing that must happen is you need to show up. Everything else will fall into place from there.

auburnfan1980
11-21-2008, 12:43 PM
Great post, brother. Brought a needed smile to my face at the end of the week.

Jason

Sailchaser
11-23-2008, 06:59 PM
QUOTE]

Vin , Thanks for the Kind words, The only thing I try and do is pass on what I have learned from others and try to be the best BOTL I can. It also has a lot to do with having a very special partner in Kat

[QUOTE=rizzle;80289]Great post Vin and I share many of the same thoughts as you.
That I accomplished--thanks to all of you in attendance at this event. I walked away from Russ's house knowing that this herf was the first of many more that I will attend, and that the people that I met and friendships that I started were the reason I was there in the first place. Everything else really doesn't matter.

Friendships last a life time

The only thing that must happen is you need to show up. Everything else will fall into place from there.

When you have a bunch of people that gather in one place to share a bond friendships naturally occur. There is not one person that attended the Herf that I did not gain a larger respect for them and what the do. For me it is not about how many, what you have, what your getting it is about YOU at herfs and the only thing that you can share then is you. I am so fortunate to have a partner (SAILKAT)that enjoys my passion for this hobby and allows me to experience and the ability to travel and gain new friends.
To everyone involved in the Ybor Herf I also want to thank for taking my mind off a few issues that I have been dealing with, for that I am Grateful
Look forward to see you all on the board and at future Herfs:tu:tu

G G
11-23-2008, 07:15 PM
Only been to one herf myself. A small one we had in Jacksonville not too long ago. I really enjoyed meeting the guys. I was going to attend the herf at Vin's in October, but a death in the family caused the plans to change. I can say truly that I so look forward to meeting up with the massholes, because of the support and well wishes they sent our way in our time of need was something that is hard to explain. I mean I haven't even met any of them face to face yet they took time to email call or pm and let us know they were thinking about us. Vin, Al, Bao, Greg, and all the others just know that someday we will hopefully be able to share a cigar, and just fellowship one with another. There was also a lot of yall that aren't massholes, sent messages our way as well, and hopefully we will all be able to meet as well.

Thanks brothers.

SmokinApe
11-23-2008, 08:39 PM
Nice post...

Skywalker
11-24-2008, 01:05 PM
Why Herf?

Because I don't like throwing up in my own backyard!!!:D

Coz77
11-25-2008, 09:23 AM
Great thread fellas...I too was intimidated by some of the same reasons, but the below posts have eased my mind. Thanks guys!

I need to herf more!

The cigars that are premium to me are afterthoughts to others, I'm not a "habanophile" and know jack-diddly about cuban cigars. I don't have boxes laying around to just dole out to everyone like pieces of gum. So, in that sense I was intimidated as well. I'm sure no one came away from meeting me saying that guy bombed the hell out of me with all these great cigars and I want on his buddy list for sure.

So my suggestion to those new to herfs or have never attended one before, would be to not worry what other folks have. It dosent matter if their smokes are older or better than yours. It dosent matter if they bring their cigars in a ziplock bag or a custom painted Zero Haiburton. It dosent matter if you brought only 6 cigars and many others brought 200. Your religious, professional, or racial background makes absolutely no difference. It makes no difference if you are a millionaire or just making ends meet. None of this matters.

The one thing that really matters is that you are there. Because if that happens, chances are you'll find others there that you'll bond with over great conversation, good cigars, and it just may be the beginning of some close friendships that will wear on through the years, no matter how far apart you may be.

TripleF
11-25-2008, 09:38 AM
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat post Vin. And it was truly my pleasure to meet you as well as the many others who attended this Epic Ybor Herf from across the country. I was in awe. Still am.

Trying to describe the friendships cemented in a herf is simlar to rekindling friendships with high school mates. It feels like you've always known them, now you are just getting the pleasure of seeing them again.

As I planned this event and we hopped from location to location, to location, I can tell you the feedback was nothing less than impressive. My family was impressed with ALL who attended and would welcome us back anytime.

It truly is an experience not to be missed.

gnukfu
11-25-2008, 09:39 AM
Great post Vin - I was going to add something brilliant but nothing comes to mind other than great cigars, great food, great drink, and above all great people....

Mugen910
11-25-2008, 10:25 AM
Herfs are a great way to put faces on the folks you see here everyday. Its true, its not about the cigars. Its about the people.

I can still remember the SoCal I Herf. It was one of the first real big gatherings I attended. It was a blend of folks from 2 major places. ICG & ASC. There was probably 100 folks in all, and like someone mentioned earlier, I was pretty uneasy at first seeing what these guys brought not only to smoke, but to also pass out to everyone. I felt seriously under gunned. One of the old time ASC folks (Mig) told me not to worry about what cigars others had brought. He told me just have fun, work the room and talk to folks I never met. Following his suggestion gave me something very special. It gave me the beginnings of many friendships that still exist to this day. That was almost 10 years ago.

Great addendum to Vin's post Mr.Kimura!