PDA

View Full Version : The Official Asylum Metal Detecting & Finds Thread

OLS
05-21-2011, 02:42 PM
Since we have every yuppie diversion thread known to mankind, wet shaving, coffee pressing, bean roasting,
I thought I would do my part to cover the more doofus genre and begin the metal detecting thread with an
emphasis on recent finds. Most of my finds for today are gone, I was in the yard of an old 40s-50s school
today in a rough neighborhood. I heard every bull$hi+ panhandler story in the book, and I LOVED the look
on their faces when I gave them crusty pennies and unrecognizable dimes. The quarters I keep for the
office coke machine since all the money goes to the boss. Most of the people dropped the coins
once they thought I wasn't watching them anymore, some right there in front of me. In front of one old tree,
I came up with 6 quarters. I love old smoking sites around schools. This place has been picked clean of silver,
as have most places in this city. But I like the excercise and the possibilities. All told today, I managed to dig up
1.97 in quarters, dimes and copper pennies.

I have raggy equipment, though I am not embarassed by it. I don't live in a nugget-rich environment,
So I spent what I thought I needed to spend to find silver coins where they could be found. I find a fair
amount of civil-war era coinage by the river, and I spend a couple Sundays a year around old schools,
a couple Saturdays around old churches. I have a Fisher F2 and a Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505. Both
minimum quality rigs for maximum quality fun.

OLS
05-21-2011, 03:04 PM
Today as i said, I gave away all clad coinage except the quarters, which I keep in another pocket, lol. I also found a 1948 Dime,
a 1968 dime, a Chuck E. Cheese token, a russian coin of some kind and a stainless steel folding ruler.

mariogolbee
05-21-2011, 03:12 PM
I've always wanted to try my hand at this. Nice finds and a good way to have fun!

OLS
05-21-2011, 03:30 PM
I had the itch something terrible about ten years or more ago, my gosh, it's been awhile when I look at it like that.
I think My dad wanted to get into it, but way back then, in the 70's and 80s, even a crap rig was very expensive.
And they were all crap, lol. He died a good 25 years ago, so we never got to do it together. It's the kind of
thing he got a kick out of. He was a chemistry and physics teacher. I got my second unit last week, lol. I won't
take it into some of these nighborhoods yet. Of course, having a SHARP army shovel in your other hand tends to keep
the wolves at bay a bit, lol. For $150-200, you can find one that'll find the fun stuff. Problem is that GOLD tends to
detect around the spectrum with iron and pull tabs...bummer.

Zeuceone
05-21-2011, 03:38 PM
Use to do this with a friend and his dad when I was younger. Found bunch of change and a gold ring is te most valuable thing I found. I've been pondering about buying one and going around the old winery places around here.

secretsquirrel
05-21-2011, 03:43 PM
Ive been kickin around the idea of getting one and wondering around with it.
Is there any kind of law against digging on public property?

mariogolbee
05-21-2011, 03:44 PM
I may have to add this to my list of near-future hobbies.

BC-Axeman
05-21-2011, 04:06 PM
Yep, this is one I remember from my boy scout days. I never got my own rig. My wife has been mentioning it for when we go camping. Maybe it will be her idea to get one. ;) ;)

OLS
05-21-2011, 05:21 PM
I have never been asked to leave, and have been passed by dozens of cops, etc. I believe that there are few laws that
prevent public property metal-detecting. However the most important thing has always been, learn to dig small holes
and pop good plugs, so that the hole you fill in looks as good as you can make it look. You have to dig on Pub Prop as
though at any moment someone from some department will walk up on you and say WTF? You should be able to say
"Well look here and here and here...my holes look pretty doggone neat. People hate to see ugly piles of crap that bad
detectorists leave behind. I used to carry a piece of cardboard to pile any dirt on, so that when it came time to fill in
the holes, there was not a lot of random dirt laying around in the grass. I also really like detecting on plain old dirt, lol.
It's a lot easier to fill holes. If you treat other people's grass the way you would your own lawn, it makes you good
enough to get very little crap. I hear signals in my yard, and I still haven't dug em. I worked a long time to fix my
St. Augustine lawn and hate to dig holes in it. :)

Eleven
05-21-2011, 09:05 PM
This is a current story in our area:

Officer Dulle's Ring (http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/news/tenacious-search-nets-dulle-wedding-ring)

mfarre03
05-22-2011, 07:30 AM
Very cool, always interested in metal detectors but its just one more hobby I DON'T need, lol

gettysburgfreak
05-23-2011, 04:29 PM
Got a metal detector two years ago for christmas with the expectation that I would be taking various trips down to Virginia and other southern states to look for civil war relics. Got in with the govt, moved away from the east coast and unfortunately haven't even used it yet. Should probably start looking for some spots up here in the pac northwest.

OLS
05-24-2011, 06:14 AM
You might find Sacajawea's retainer. :)

Tikihut27
05-24-2011, 09:33 PM
About 3-4 times a week I get up early, grab a decent smoke (lately it's been a Deisel Unlimited d.7), and walk 2 miles of Lake Ontario beach up and back for a 4 mile walk. I like to see what the lake kicks up- I like history and archaeology, and trying to figure out what something was and when it came from. Here are some finds from this year:

1: Toy car tire circa 1950
2: Ceramic/copper/mica household fuse c. 1940's
3: Modern change
4: Lightbulb base
5: Aluminum nugget (Probably from a tin can tossed in a fire)
6: Older quarter
7: Euro cent (modern)
8: Vintage buttons (Left- leather, Right- glass)
9: 12 gauge brass from old paper shell (Remington)
10: Brass shoe rivet c. 1920's

http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/mm386/gsmilligan/001.jpg

Pottery sherds, 19th/early 20th century:

http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/mm386/gsmilligan/002.jpg

1: Clay pipe bowl fragment, late 19th century (Scottish?)
2: Clay pipe stem fragment, late 19th century
3: Pipe bowl, mid-20th century

http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/mm386/gsmilligan/003.jpg

Do you know this one?

http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/mm386/gsmilligan/004.jpg

Last pic, always fun to find if not particularly historically interesting: GOLD

http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/mm386/gsmilligan/005.jpg

I've found marbles, glass bottle stoppers, ice age bones, fossils, a nice bouy that's now hanging in the stateside Tiki Hut, a piece of carved bone, plenty more.

No metal detector used, sight only. I wonder what I'd find if I got a nice detector...

BC-Axeman
05-24-2011, 10:10 PM
The 270 is a badge from a Volvo 270 outdrive off a boat.
http://fracstar.com/pics/270.jpg

Wolfgang
05-24-2011, 10:22 PM
subscribed. I love seeing found objects :D

Volusianator
05-24-2011, 11:22 PM
I don't own a metal detector, but this is a cool thread and I will continue to follow it.

mfarre03
05-24-2011, 11:33 PM
I don't own a metal detector, but this is a cool thread and I will continue to follow it.

:tpd:

emopunker2004
05-24-2011, 11:42 PM

cobra03
05-25-2011, 03:47 AM
metal detecting/cool crap we find on the ground thread. I like. Im always looking for crazy stuff when i take the dog for a walk along the creek behind our house.

05-25-2011, 07:31 AM
My dad has been into metal detecting since before I was born. I have gone with him many times, but not in a long time. He could tell you guys some amazing stories. He has a nice machine that can differentiate between types of metals, determine depth, size, etc. But he can tell by the pitch of the sound, what kind of metal it is, without looking at the display.

Public property is pretty much fair game, unless you have some local ordinances against it. In fact, even cemetaries are fair game so long as they are closed (no longer burying people; at least in Michigan).

shilala
05-25-2011, 08:20 AM
I have a nice White's I bought 7-8 years ago. I used to get out a lot.
The only time I ever hit a cache was a small ditch in a yard that was loaded with mercury dimes.
I was in heaven, pulling as many dimes as I could, sometimes ten in a hole. I had a big pocketful and had to get out of there because there was somewhere I had to be. I figured "no biggie, I'll come back tomorrow".
Well, I came back the next day and the owner's son shooed me off the property. His mom was the owner and had given me permission, but the son was worried that the appearance of a knucklehead with a metal detector on the lawn may raise an eyebrow, as their house was for sale.
I never did get back there after the house sold, and now it's a hospital parking lot. :D

I still may have a bowl of good stuff somewhere. If I ever find it, I'll take a pic. That could be years from now when I get unpacked from moving.

Mr B
05-25-2011, 09:57 AM
Subscribed.

Show us your gold prospecting finds too. The family and I are getting into it and are pumped up. We are going to spend a week in the Motherload Country (Columbia, CA) this summer, Sluicin' and pannin'. We would like to pick up a metal detector also.
Cool Thread!

OLS
05-29-2011, 01:10 PM
I am pretty jealous when it comes to doing anything where there is gold in the rocks. I am a purveyor of the picked-over.
Here is my giant haul from today, lol. the ACME THUN-DERER!!!

Tikihut27
06-19-2011, 09:22 AM
Boo-yah! Yesterday's find:

http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/mm386/gsmilligan/006.jpg

After spending an hour knee-deep in Lake Ontario, I found this 6" from the shoreline in one inch of water.

I can picture a woman standing in the sand, saying, "You bastard, how could I ever have loved you?" and pitching the thing into the lake. Yes, I am a romantic.

OLS
06-19-2011, 09:59 AM
I can see a man skipping stones and a woman saying 'teach me how to do that" and her losing her ring.
I CAN SAY nice find! I never find anything good unless it's made of silver, cause I mostly hunt trashy areas
and gold and crap are in the same range of conductivity. I discriminate heavily, and my finds reflect that.

Mr B
06-20-2011, 10:31 AM
Very nice find Tiki!!

backwoods357
06-21-2011, 08:17 PM
How much does a decent unit cost? Who makes a solid unit?

Mr B
06-22-2011, 10:44 AM
Seems like the most popular, in order of $$ least to $$ most is:
Garrett
Whites
Minelab

Obviously each brand has its own levels of effectiveness and $$cost.
I was once told that with a decent dector, expect to pay at least $100+ per inch of good depth reading.

Volusianator
06-22-2011, 12:28 PM
Congratulations Tikihut, great find!

Dave128
06-22-2011, 01:24 PM
Nice thread. Love seeing this old stuff re-discovered.

Blak Smyth
06-22-2011, 01:33 PM
Boo-yah! Yesterday's find:
After spending an hour knee-deep in Lake Ontario, I found this 6" from the shoreline in one inch of water.

I can picture a woman standing in the sand, saying, "You bastard, how could I ever have loved you?" and pitching the thing into the lake. Yes, I am a romantic.

Hmm that's funny, I lost a diamond ring right where you described, there was sand and water and stuff. I stood on the sand saying, "I'm a bastard, how could I ever have been loved by you?" And then I pitched it into the lake. Yes there was a body attached to it. oops I don't know where I was going with that. I need a smoke.

Nice found items guys.

Powers
06-22-2011, 01:37 PM
Subscribed hoping to see some cool Civil War era finds :tu

PS - will possibly trade for $ or smokes FYI

LostAbbott
06-22-2011, 01:54 PM
Never done any detecting, but my brother and I have rafted the Dechutes river in Oregon our entire lives. Actually since we were each one. We call it digging, but know quite a few places on there river where stuff gets stuck, and dive in after it. Found everything from coolers to last year my brother pulled out 5 wedding rings from one hole. I think he made about $750 at the pawn shop.

Great thread!

gettysburgfreak
06-22-2011, 05:39 PM
Subscribed hoping to see some cool Civil War era finds :tu

PS - will possibly trade for $ or smokes FYI

I'm hoping to see some as well although I will be very jealous.

Tikihut27
06-23-2011, 05:05 PM
Here's today's update.

I was out about 50 meters in 2' of water this morning and spotted this guy:

http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/mm386/gsmilligan/007.jpg

A little ceramic Buddha! Very cool. So I puts me Buddha in me pocket and keeps on wading- for like two minutes until I found this:

http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/mm386/gsmilligan/008.jpg

A 14k Baby ID Bracelet (with no name engraved). Thanks, kid! #7 gold find!!

Needless to say, Buddha will be going treasure hunting with me from now on.

Mr B
06-23-2011, 05:31 PM
Nice Finds.

Starscream
06-23-2011, 05:57 PM
Today as i said, I gave away all clad coinage except the quarters, which I keep in another pocket, lol. I also found a 1948 Dime,
a 1968 dime, a Chuck E. Cheese token, a russian coin of some kind and a stainless steel folding ruler.

That Chuck E. Cheese token may be a collectibe, being it's an old Pizza Time Theatre coin.

Tikihut27
06-26-2011, 01:26 PM
Today: #8, another 14k earring:

http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/mm386/gsmilligan/009.jpg

Not much, but I'll take it. Always nice to have a pile of free gold.

I'm really finding these, I'm not just slowly taking pics of everything in my wife's jewelry box. She's funny- everytime I show her something she says "Oh, a cheap..." (ring, earring, whatever). I keep telling her I'll start finding better quality jewelry, but it hasn't happened yet. If I find a solid gold Rolex she'll tell me it's the bottom-of-the-line model.

The treasure hunt is addicting; I think it's amazing how much stuff is out there just waiting to be found. Lake Ontario has 712 miles of shoreline; I search 2 miles of it! Who knows what's in that other 710 miles...

Volusianator
06-26-2011, 01:43 PM
Keep the pics coming and good luck to you all!

Tyler
06-26-2011, 02:17 PM
I have always wanted to metal detect but I have never been able to find a good unit. Any suggestions on specific make/models?

GreekGodX
06-26-2011, 02:17 PM
This makes me want to buy my own metal detector. I'm definitely interested..

06-27-2011, 01:44 PM
Today: #8, another 14k earring:

Not much, but I'll take it. Always nice to have a pile of free gold.

I'm really finding these, I'm not just slowly taking pics of everything in my wife's jewelry box. She's funny- everytime I show her something she says "Oh, a cheap..." (ring, earring, whatever). I keep telling her I'll start finding better quality jewelry, but it hasn't happened yet. If I find a solid gold Rolex she'll tell me it's the bottom-of-the-line model.

The treasure hunt is addicting; I think it's amazing how much stuff is out there just waiting to be found. Lake Ontario has 712 miles of shoreline; I search 2 miles of it! Who knows what's in that other 710 miles...

Very cool. Funny thing is you could probably hit that same 2 miles 10 more times and find something new each pass.

My dad went with a friend down to some early colonial settlements along the east coast years ago. It was actually "gridded" in that metal detector guys setup string grids like archeologists do at a dig and focus a couple guys on a small 10'x10' section at a time. This was done BEFORE my dad and his buddy went and still his friend found a $5 gold coin from the mid 1800s. Similar to this, but from an earlier year

http://www.coinsite.com/images/1899sg5l.gif

More on those:
http://www.coinsite.com/content/faq/five$.asp

06-27-2011, 01:47 PM
This makes me want to buy my own metal detector. I'm definitely interested..

You know it's fun and it's an outdoor activity you can do in almost any city/town. That means cigar friendly too. Not to mention the detectors usually pay for themselves in common (non-collectable) coins pretty quickly anyway.

Tyler
06-27-2011, 03:13 PM
Can you guys take a picture of your usual 'kit' you take with you? I am assuming its something like a hand shovel, metal detector, and maybe a bigger shovel if you have a high power one? I am just trying to get a feel for what I would need.

06-28-2011, 08:47 AM
Can you guys take a picture of your usual 'kit' you take with you? I am assuming its something like a hand shovel, metal detector, and maybe a bigger shovel if you have a high power one? I am just trying to get a feel for what I would need.

My dad would always have stereo headphones. Most metal detectors have the larger headphone jack that work with the nice noise-cancelling headphones. It makes it a lot easier to pickup the sound pitch. This is key for getting to know your detector as they make different pitch sounds for different metal types. Once you get used to it you'll be able to tell silver from aluminum without a guage or visual indicator.

Next you want shovel that is narrow as not to leave a big mess. Basically when you dig you want to create a plug with grass on it that can go right back in the hole and look as if nobody disturbed it. My dad uses one like this. (sorry for the small picture)
http://images.bizrate.com/resize?sq=80&uid=2536944963

The entire thing is no more than 3.5 inches wide and a foot long. It seems to work better than any other variation he's tried.

The only other item he usually has is some kind of cheap 2-pocket bag/apron that he could tie around his waist or sling overhead/shoulder. Basically one pocket for junk and the other for valuables/coins. You dont want to put items caked in mud/dirt into your pants pockets.

backwoods357
06-28-2011, 10:00 PM
Any idea on where to pick up that slender shovel?

06-29-2011, 10:13 AM
Any idea on where to pick up that slender shovel?

HA! found it...Only $10!

14" NARROW STAINLESS STEEL TROWEL METAL DETECTOR SHOVEL

http://cgi.ebay.com/14-NARROW-STAINLESS-STEEL-TROWEL-METAL-DETECTOR-SHOVEL-/400189393195

larger (maybe too big picture of it)

http://i.ebayimg.com/06/!CDP7dDwBmk~$(KGrHqZ,!hQE0fktnbWbBNN41mmU3w~~_3.JP G

Mr B
06-29-2011, 10:50 AM
Lots of good links here:
http://www.prospectingchannel.com/indexEquip1.html

Tikihut27
07-08-2011, 09:12 PM
After a very bland week after the Fourth, I finally decided to make a major change and move from sight searching to detecting. There are several detectorists on my stretch that I regularly compare notes with. My area produces both old and new finds- the guys that regularly surf-search leave a lot of ground to cover, and the sand shifts pretty quickly. Even though I'm holding my own with the number of pieces, I KNOW I'm missing a ton of stuff...

I went with a Whites Surf P.I., an older one I won on-line. Got a great deal for a nice machine- I'm really starting out a level higher than I should be, but I have some support so I hope to do OK.

The Surf P.I. has great depth penetration (12''-15" in wet sand, so say the reviews), more than most machines, so I'm hoping to find some pieces the other fellas miss. The Surf P.I. also has a reputation for picking up EVERYTHING, so I also expect to come out with a lot of trash and relics, too.

Whatever, it should be fun. Can't wait till the machine and my new scoop arrive! Stay tuned!

Tikihut27
07-15-2011, 04:55 PM
Metal detector still has not arrived. I continue to sight search while I am waiting. Found five or six pairs of sunglasses, a few matchbox cars, etc. Best finds this week:

http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/mm386/gsmilligan/DSC_0099.jpg

A great little Winchester side-folder that I now carry, a locket bracelet (the chain was broken when I found it), and #9 gold: another hoop earring. They tend to stay on the surface, I think.

It's Friday and no detector. I was really hoping for it by the weekend. Ah, well.

hotreds
07-15-2011, 05:02 PM
I see a lot of folks metal-detecting on Virginia Beach.

Tikihut27
07-21-2011, 05:27 PM
This week's stuff:

1: .417 marked (10k) gold earring- found sight searching Sat

Metal detector arrived yesterday. Went out this morning before work. Found-

2: .417 marked gold earring (I find a lot of these, it seems)

3: Sterling (marked 925) silver celtic style ring

also found 30+ nails, a cellphone, some junk earrings, and a pair of souvenir nail clippers from Cambodia. But wow, silver AND gold on DAY ONE!

http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/mm386/gsmilligan/DSC_01052.jpg

Fordman4ever
07-21-2011, 05:33 PM
nice finds.

baddevildog82
07-21-2011, 07:36 PM
Very nice! What brand is that knife?

Tikihut27
07-30-2011, 11:19 AM
Very nice! What brand is that knife?

Winchester.

OK, so I've had my detector for 10 days. Here is a list of my total targets recovered:

179 Nails
81 Unidentifiable
36 Aluminum "nuggets" (Melted pop cans from campfires)
25 Staples
18 Screws
17 Bottle caps
11 Junk earrings
6 Matchbox cars
4 Springs
3 Pull tabs
3 Bolts
2 Tent pegs
2 Butter Knives
2 Bungee cords
2 Silver rings
2 Junk rings
2 Keys
2 Lighters
1 Washers
1 Pliers
1 Allen wrench
1 Spoon
1 Cellphone
1 Gold earring
1 Proximity card
1 Blackberry travel charger
1 Sifter
1 D-ring
1 Hand rake
1 Hammer
1 Screwdriver
1 AA Battery
1 Fishing lure
1 Tire pressure gague
1 Laser Pointer
1 12ga shotgun shell
1 Pipe piece
1 Zipper pull
1 Pocket knife

39 Pennies
1 Nickel
14 Dimes
25 Quarters (Total $8.09)

OLS
07-30-2011, 05:51 PM
haha, tiki hut, you found all the dropped items in the area. That's what you have to do to find Gold, I find.
I have my discrimination set so high I only find silver and copper for the most part. But I don't dig many nails or pull tabs.

Tikihut27
07-31-2011, 08:20 AM
That's the problem with a Pulse Indicator (PI) machine, no discrimination.

Then again, today I found a coin under an iron target... who knows what might get missed... dig it all, I say!

Tikihut27
12-30-2011, 07:31 PM
Well, I think I'll post my finds from 2011. To recap: for the first half of the year I was beachcombing. I started finding gold jewelry by sight- so I went out and bought a metal detector (a White's Surf PI) and now spend about 8-10 hours a week in the surf. I was able to keep it up through December with the addition of waders and neoprene.

So here come the pics. Hope you enjoy.

http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/mm386/gsmilligan/Metal%20Detecting%20Finds/ProfilePicture2.jpg

Tikihut27
12-30-2011, 07:35 PM
Large metal stuff. This is from a swimming beach, too...

http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/mm386/gsmilligan/Metal%20Detecting%20Finds/001.jpg

Assorted odd items. i probably cleaned up 10 times this much stuff; most of it goes directly in the trash can.

http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/mm386/gsmilligan/Metal%20Detecting%20Finds/002.jpg

Some tools. I found another hammer, too, an Estwing. That just stayed in the car.

http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/mm386/gsmilligan/Metal%20Detecting%20Finds/003.jpg

Tikihut27
12-30-2011, 07:38 PM
Cutlery. It's odd how the waves can bend the spoons like that... :D

http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/mm386/gsmilligan/Metal%20Detecting%20Finds/004.jpg

Matchbox cars. Notice how popular police cars are for leaving buried in the sand...

http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/mm386/gsmilligan/Metal%20Detecting%20Finds/005.jpg

Other stuff. People practice drive golf balls into the lake. I call it littering.

http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/mm386/gsmilligan/Metal%20Detecting%20Finds/006.jpg

Tikihut27
12-30-2011, 07:43 PM
Sunglasses are popular for losing in the water.

http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/mm386/gsmilligan/Metal%20Detecting%20Finds/007.jpg

So are cell phones. I was able to find the owners of two of these by pulling miniSD cards. I called the owners and they didn't want them back. The Samsung still works fine, too.

http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/mm386/gsmilligan/Metal%20Detecting%20Finds/008.jpg

And of course, keys are popular to lose as well. I had two people stop and ask if I'd found keys they'd lost. I hadn't.

http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/mm386/gsmilligan/Metal%20Detecting%20Finds/009.jpg

Tikihut27
12-30-2011, 07:49 PM
If I keep up this hobby, I will never need to buy another pocket knife. I carry the CRKT regularly.

http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/mm386/gsmilligan/Metal%20Detecting%20Finds/010.jpg

For a bathing beach, I find a lot of munitions. Mostly shotgun shells, but the thing that looks like a tip to an artillery shell is, well, the tip to an artillery shell (or a rocket). The round ring is a piece of another one. The tail fin is from a parachute flare. And yes, that is a link from a machine gun.

http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/mm386/gsmilligan/Metal%20Detecting%20Finds/011.jpg

I won't need to buy lures anymore, either. There are several areas of the lake guys go to just to search for lures...

http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/mm386/gsmilligan/Metal%20Detecting%20Finds/012.jpg

Tikihut27
12-30-2011, 07:51 PM
This is a remains tag from a crematorium. I blurred the number for privacy.

Hope someone finds mine there a long long time from now.

http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/mm386/gsmilligan/Metal%20Detecting%20Finds/013.jpg

Tikihut27
12-30-2011, 07:55 PM
Obviously, these are not metal detecting finds.

Apparently, beach-goers are pro-boobies. Who knew?

http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/mm386/gsmilligan/Metal%20Detecting%20Finds/014.jpg

Here is a big old pile of junk earrings and bracelets. You'd think I'd be able to make a matching pair of earrings from all this, but you'd be wrong.

http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/mm386/gsmilligan/Metal%20Detecting%20Finds/015.jpg

Other "junk" jewelry finds. I got a rush seeing some of these in the scoop.

http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/mm386/gsmilligan/Metal%20Detecting%20Finds/016.jpg

Zeuceone
12-30-2011, 07:59 PM
Does that mean someones ashes ended up at that location?

Tikihut27
12-30-2011, 08:00 PM
297 pennies
48 nickels
96 dimes
148 quarters
1 $1 bill
2 $5 bill

1 euro cent

$63.02

http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/mm386/gsmilligan/Metal%20Detecting%20Finds/017.jpg

Tikihut27
12-30-2011, 08:00 PM
Does that mean someones ashes ended up at that location?

Yes.

Tikihut27
12-30-2011, 08:06 PM
And the best for last.

27.36 grams of Gold

1.13 ounces of Silver

and a honking big stainless wedding band

http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/mm386/gsmilligan/Metal%20Detecting%20Finds/018.jpg

Thanks for looking. I had fun finding all this stuff. It is true you can find the good stuff, but you have to do an awful lot of digging! Not included here are hundreds of pieces of metal scrap/nails/screws/etc. that go directly in the trash.

I hope to do better in 2012, now that I am learning the ins-and-outs of the hobby. It's not as easy as just swinging the detector around, although you can get lucky that way, too!

Zeuceone
12-30-2011, 08:08 PM
Yes.

Will you be keeping it or does it go back?

Great finds btw.

backwoods357
12-30-2011, 08:16 PM
Thanks for keeping this thread alive! Some really interesting finds.

Tikihut27
12-30-2011, 08:18 PM
Will you be keeping it or does it go back?

Great finds btw.

I'll take it out deep when I put the boat in the water in the spring. If I just flip it back in the water someone (probably me) will just find it again.

01-05-2012, 06:45 AM
Great pics. I love it. My dad's would love this thread too. I wish I could get him to check it out.

Thinking about getting one of the old White brand detectors out of his basement and taking my son out this comming summer.

Blak Smyth
01-05-2012, 07:27 AM
I love this thread, keep those find pics coming guys!!!

Mr B
01-05-2012, 09:39 AM
Great finds Tiki. Thanks for sharing.

Tikihut27
05-04-2012, 09:03 PM
Even though there hasn't been a post here in a while, I've been out fairly regularly. It's nice to be outside, even in the colder weather. It hasn't been a great spring, but I've found another pile of change and a few rings, a couple of silver ones and another stainless wedding band.

The hot season should start soon, which will both take me into deeper water where there are better goodies and bring fresh drops from summertime beach-goers.

Here's a teaser pic of a silver and topaz ring I found this week. Mrs. Tikihut27 has overcome her reluctance to wear beach finds and now actively snags stuff, after, she says, I am done "playing with them". She has her eye on this one. I like the silver stuff because they come out of the water nasty and tarnished, but a little work shines them right up...

http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/mm386/gsmilligan/Metal%20Detecting%20Finds/036.jpg

TJarv
05-04-2012, 09:34 PM
some good finds over the last year or so

Mr B
05-07-2012, 12:11 PM
Another great find Tiki. Keep the pics coming.

Tikihut27
06-02-2012, 09:18 AM
Here are some pics of a few more rings from the memorial day weekend:

http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/mm386/gsmilligan/Metal%20Detecting%20Finds/040.jpg

The small gold celtic friendship ring is 14k.

http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/mm386/gsmilligan/Metal%20Detecting%20Finds/041.jpg

sevans105
06-02-2012, 10:14 AM
Dani and I were snorkeling a couple weeks ago and met a woman searching the beach in Hanauma Bay. She said she had just found a 3.5 carat diamond ring with another 2 carats of sapphires. Heck of a find. Made Dani regret leaving her detector at home. :D

Mr B
06-04-2012, 10:23 AM
Very nice finds guys!

Kevin(n)tn
06-10-2012, 08:27 PM
Great thread guys. I have always been a history buff and have relocated to middle Tennessee. I am also enjoy canoeing the many rivers and streams here. There were several civil war battles here. I believe I am going to combine the two. Several cigars, my canoe and a metal detector sounds like a fun day. I am going to the library to do some research. Thanks for the inspiration guys.

Tikihut27
08-11-2012, 09:33 PM
Been too busy out hunting to post this summer. No hugely spectacular finds, but here's a few pics:

http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/mm386/gsmilligan/Metal%20Detecting%20Finds/049.jpg

This puppy was marked 14k. I figure that means 14,000% FAKE since it is not gold:

http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/mm386/gsmilligan/Metal%20Detecting%20Finds/051.jpg

Here's a sample of a half a month of hunting:

http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/mm386/gsmilligan/Metal%20Detecting%20Finds/050.jpg

Last weekend's best finds- a new, working iPhone and a silver ring:

http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/mm386/gsmilligan/Metal%20Detecting%20Finds/054.jpg

Tikihut27
08-11-2012, 09:39 PM
Oh, and here's a 1oz copper bullion coin. I had no idea they even made these until I dug one out of the sand. It must have been someone's lucky coin.

http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/mm386/gsmilligan/Metal%20Detecting%20Finds/042.jpg

TJarv
08-11-2012, 10:37 PM
Hey I see some vodka in there

Tikihut27
08-11-2012, 11:14 PM
Hey I see some vodka in there

Rum. Yes, it is a full, if small, bottle of Bacardi.

TJarv
08-11-2012, 11:29 PM
Rum. Yes, it is a full, if small, bottle of Bacardi.

Well that's what I get for assuming

08-14-2012, 08:44 AM
This puppy was marked 14k. I figure that means 14,000% FAKE since it is not gold:

Could it be white gold? I wear a 14K white gold wedding ring that is marked 14K. It has a TW with a circle around it just to the right of the 14K marking.

Tikihut27
08-14-2012, 08:23 PM
Could it be white gold? I wear a 14K white gold wedding ring that is marked 14K. It has a TW with a circle around it just to the right of the 14K marking.

I thought it might be white gold at first. But when you file test it you can clearly see that it is plated copper. Apparently this type of fake gold is very common. The detectorists call it "flea market gold". The 14k mark is like a bag with a Gucci label- if it sounds too good to be true, it was probably made in China.

Tikihut27
08-16-2012, 08:28 PM
Good stuff from the last couple of weeks. Yes, I detected the Kershaw, too.

http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/mm386/gsmilligan/Metal%20Detecting%20Finds/057.jpg

Dave128
08-16-2012, 08:51 PM
Sweet finds!

Tikihut27
01-06-2013, 04:32 PM
Here are some pics of my total finds from 2013. I go out 12 months out of the year, fresh water hunting in Lake Ontario, mostly. Dry sand and in water up to my chest at the local beaches.

Cell Phones

http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/mm386/gsmilligan/Metal%20Detecting%20Finds/2012%20Metal%20Detecting%20Finds/1208_zps37035fe5.jpg

Pocketknives and working lighters

http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/mm386/gsmilligan/Metal%20Detecting%20Finds/2012%20Metal%20Detecting%20Finds/1209_zps7452ee08.jpg

Junk jewelry

http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/mm386/gsmilligan/Metal%20Detecting%20Finds/2012%20Metal%20Detecting%20Finds/1210_zps40f85680.jpg

Coins and tokens. Silver dimes and wheat cents. Narcotics Anon. coin.

http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/mm386/gsmilligan/Metal%20Detecting%20Finds/2012%20Metal%20Detecting%20Finds/1212_zps8eef7f00.jpg

Tikihut27
01-06-2013, 04:36 PM
More junk jewelry and fake marked gold and silver

http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/mm386/gsmilligan/Metal%20Detecting%20Finds/2012%20Metal%20Detecting%20Finds/1211_zpsa2eab2fc.jpg

$94.75 in change.

http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/mm386/gsmilligan/Metal%20Detecting%20Finds/2012%20Metal%20Detecting%20Finds/1213_zpscc2804a8.jpg

5 gold rings, 11 silver rings, 2 silver pendants, 3 stainless steel rings, 1 titanium ring, and 9 junk rings

http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/mm386/gsmilligan/Metal%20Detecting%20Finds/2012%20Metal%20Detecting%20Finds/1214_zps73ddf580.jpg

Fun hobby, even though I routinely take abuse from the Rochester Crew about it. They can laugh all they want. I'm the one who spent the day at the beach and came home with free gold...

elderboy02
01-06-2013, 05:39 PM
Very cool!

Mr B
01-07-2013, 09:26 AM
and a Partridge in a Pear Treeeeeeeee.

Wow, nice finds.