PDA

View Full Version : Flying with a cutter.

Ender
05-17-2011, 05:20 AM
Anyone here have luck flying with a cigar cutter without the security taking it away?

emopunker2004
05-17-2011, 05:25 AM
http://www.seatguru.com/articles/tsa_prohibited_items.php
3rd item under personal items
torch lighters are prohibited

kelmac07
05-17-2011, 05:32 AM
Pack it in your checked baggage.

GreekGodX
05-17-2011, 05:36 AM
Anyone here have luck flying with a cigar cutter without the security taking it away?

Put it in your checked luggage to avoid any problems :2 Technically it isn't a prohibited item but it is how the particular TSA agent interprets their regulations. So they could let you go by or they could take it. If you aren't taking any checked luggage then I can give you my $3 cutter that I bought for my recent vacation and if they take it no big deal. For a $3 cutter it worked great..

jonumberone
05-17-2011, 05:37 AM
Flown with my cutter many times, both carry on and checked.
Never had a problem with it.
The only item I had a problem with was a metallic Punch.
I couldn't convince the TSA agent that it wasn't some type of bullet. :bh
Had to toss the punch but they let me keep the cutter.

Ender
05-17-2011, 08:23 AM
Thanks. Christos, the one I'm bringing is a cheapy so I guess I'm not worried, just curious. I don't have any checked baggage so I'm gonna chance it. Also, for the lighter I'm gonna pick up a cheep Ronson from Walmart and chance that too unless anyone thinks it's absolutely not worth trying.

mikemets
05-17-2011, 08:27 AM
Thanks. Christos, the one I'm bringing is a cheapy so I guess I'm not worried, just curious. I don't have any checked baggage so I'm gonna chance it. Also, for the lighter I'm gonna pick up a cheep Ronson from Walmart and chance that too unless anyone thinks it's absolutely not worth trying.

Do not chance the lighter.

markem
05-17-2011, 08:43 AM

Pre-cut your sticks. Won't harm them and you can store them back in your humi with no issues if you don't smoke them. Cutter issue is solved if you arrange to not need it.

markem
05-17-2011, 08:46 AM
Do not chance the lighter.

Certainly do not chance an expensive lighter.

Another alternative if to take the cedar insert from some cigar boxes and break them in to spills (don't forget to pack the spills). Use matches to light the spills and then use the spills to light the cigar. Avoids the match smell/taste if you bothers you.

jayro75
05-17-2011, 08:48 AM

This! I always put a cheap lighter and cutter in my checked baggage and have never had a problem domestically or internationally.

DennisP
05-17-2011, 08:53 AM
I've carried a cutter many, many times, never once has it ever been questioned. I don't take my expensive ones just in case I get a clueless TSA agent, but never had a problem and probably been through security well over 50 times with one.

I used to carry a triple burner torch w/o problems as well. When it broke I stopped doing that. Those aren't permitted however, only soft flame lighters.

05-17-2011, 09:07 AM
I wouldn't chance the lighter unless you're trying to get selected for "additional screening".

BigCat
05-17-2011, 09:11 AM
I landed in vegas a couple weeks ago and bought a bic for a dollar at the airport right when I got off the plane. It served its purpose just fine for a weekend. Of course, I forgot to take it out of my bag on the way back and they didn't notice it in security.

fid
05-17-2011, 09:35 AM
I rarely fly, but with all the inconsistencies among airports and individual TSA agents I wouldn't chance anything nice or expensive. I worked courthouse security for a few years and cutters were on the prohibited list because of the blades. However, we never confiscated anything unless the person was unwilling to take it back to their car. I thought that was a good compromise, but you probably wont get that option in the airport.

Ender
05-17-2011, 10:06 AM
Pre-cut your sticks. Won't harm them and you can store them back in your humi with no issues if you don't smoke them. Cutter issue is solved if you arrange to not need it.

Holy crap that's brilliant! I don't know why I didn't think of that. That's exactly what I'll do.

I wouldn't chance the lighter unless you're trying to get selected for "additional screening".

If I bring a lighter it'll just be a cheapy that I won't care about losing.

Thanks for the impute everyone.

aich75013
05-17-2011, 10:13 AM
I accidentally had a small cheap pocket knife in my backpack when we went to Disney last year.
The TSA agent gave me the option of mailing it to myself.
I apologized for having it (I hadn't used that backpack in over a year and forgot it was there) and explained that the shipping would be more expensive than the knife itself.

Last time I went to Vegas, I put a cheap cutter in my carry on inside of my travel humidor.

Ashcan Bill
05-17-2011, 10:19 AM
I take a soft flame bic, along with a cheap cutter or punch in my carry-on and so far I've never had a problem. I usually just toss them in the Cigar Caddy with the cigars.

As others have said though, I'd never take anything expensive that I wouldn't want to lose. You just never know what these TSA people will do.

tsolomon
05-17-2011, 10:44 AM
I always put my cutter in my checked luggage and never had a problem. My wife carries one in her purse and has been stopped only once by TSA and had to explain to them that it was a cigar cutter. They thought it was really neat and showed it to the rest of the TSA staff and then let her get on the plane with it. :D

Remo
05-17-2011, 11:59 AM
"Flying with a cutter" kind of like "Running with scissors" :r

loki
05-17-2011, 12:01 PM

why? i've flown to texas, pa, dc, and jamaica with it in my carry on

N2 GOLD
05-17-2011, 12:25 PM
Play it safe & check it all. If you ask or question them in the wrong way you might be considered a flight risk. Believe me when I tell you they will make you miss your flight. You are at their mercy & most of the TSA agents actually think & believe they are GOD & what they say & think goes. They are miserable at best... :2

Bill86
05-17-2011, 12:54 PM
Flown with my cutter many times, both carry on and checked.
Never had a problem with it.
The only item I had a problem with was a metallic Punch.
I couldn't convince the TSA agent that it wasn't some type of bullet. :bh
Had to toss the punch but they let me keep the cutter.

Sorry to hear Dom, Maybe they need an IQ test before you qualify to be a TSA agent.

I usually mail my knife where I need to be. That way I can have it at my destination for ~$6.

Or travel by car, airplanes now a days are like prison searches.

jledou
05-17-2011, 01:10 PM
Flying with a cutter and a bic in my carry-on has not been a problem in the US. I have had to toss the bic once on the way back from China. Torches are not permitted and lighters are not allowed in checked baggage. Matches are also not prohibited. We you are outside of the US rules vary but cigar cutters are generally OK.
That being said my Xikar and Palio cutter stay home and a throw away cutter with a bic are what I take when I travel.

icehog3
05-17-2011, 04:31 PM

For those who keep telling Andrew to put it in his checked bag. :r

Remo
05-17-2011, 05:05 PM
Just keester it!!!!! :r

Bill86
05-17-2011, 05:12 PM

Mike I think they check there too now a days.

Things aren't like they use to be. You cannot even keester a lighter and cutter...... What kinda world are we living in

:r

Remo
05-17-2011, 05:18 PM
Mike I think they check there too now a days.

Things aren't like they use to be. You cannot even keester a lighter and cutter...... What kinda world are we living in

:r

Not one I wanna live in :r

Stephen
05-17-2011, 05:35 PM
And remember, practice makes perfect!

Remo
05-17-2011, 05:47 PM
And remember, practice makes perfect!

:pu

smokin5
05-17-2011, 09:37 PM
The cutter shouldn't be a problem.
The Ronson will not pass.
Either go with a Bic OR mail the Ronson to your
destination & it will be waiting for you upon arrival.

RightAJ
05-17-2011, 10:29 PM
I've actually brought a butane torch on before forgetting it was in my bag... great job airport security! lol

You probably won't have a problem with the cutter though, and if you do almost any drugstore will have a cheap cutter next to their Dr Grabow pipes

aj

Thrak
05-21-2011, 10:15 AM
Good info, I hadnt even thought about it.

My wife and I are going to Jamaica in Sept, and I was going to take my xikar, but I think I just changed my mind lol...

loki
05-21-2011, 11:26 AM
Good info, I hadnt even thought about it.

My wife and I are going to Jamaica in Sept, and I was going to take my xikar, but I think I just changed my mind lol...

you'll be fine. i took a cheepo because i didn't want to misplace it in a drunken stupor at the resort but neither tsa or Jamaican air security said anything. however you have to leave your lighters in Jamaica, yes even a bic. they got 4 off me

Ender
05-25-2011, 08:24 PM
Well, they didn't bother with my throw away cutter both ways. They did check my lighter to make sure it was a soft flame on the way there. On the way back I put it right in the bucket and they didn't look at it. Thanks for all the input guys.

Cornrow_Wallis
05-25-2011, 09:16 PM
So you can have a soft flame but not a torch....that makes no sense to me.

T.G
05-25-2011, 09:23 PM

Significantly higher flame temperature, ability for some to burn at any angle and potential for damage/misuse are some of the reasons cited by the TSA here:
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/sop/index.shtm

loki
05-25-2011, 10:00 PM

it's the tsa....you expect things to make sense