PDA

View Full Version : Very Old Montecristo cigars and Box

robj153
05-15-2011, 03:57 AM
I am posting quickly before work and can give much more details and photos to anyone with more knowledge of this.

I cleaned out my wife's grandfathers house after his death and recovered a Montecristo Humidor type box with numerous size compartments for each different size cigar. The box has the montecristo logo inlayed on the top and inside has her grandfathers name and the montecristo logo branded into the underside lid. They are pre-embargo and the tax stamps are taped to the inside lid. There are numerous size cigars in the box and her grandfather smoked up until he passed so he did keep them fairly well. They were not in the best condition when I found them but did still have a slight spongyness to them.
The odd thing is under the regular montecristo band is an additional smaller rectangle band, yellowish in color with "habana" and other writings ( I dont have it in front of me right now) and this secondary band is stamped with a red stamp that says "AMISTAD 1939" ...it seems like this is some type of anniversary issued large sampler type set or something. I don't know for sure that they are from 1939 but her grandfather did pass at age 98 .
I began researching these a couple years ago and got as far as talking to an old man at a cigar factory in florida that used to work at montecristo in cuba many years ago. He believed that somewhere in Cuba would be records of the purchase of this box since it was branded inside with her grandfathers name.
Again, I have pics and can send more info once I find someone that has extensive knowledge of montecristo cigars.

emopunker2004
05-15-2011, 03:59 AM
posting here first will help you out with getting answers from people and the like

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=7

emopunker2004
05-15-2011, 04:03 AM
http://forums.cigaraficionado.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7666095/m/134106773

???

robj153
05-15-2011, 05:03 AM
thats me when i first got them... I had them longer than i thought

robj153
05-15-2011, 05:19 AM
I just went back to read the replies I received back in 2003... at that point I got frustrated and hit a dead end with them and finding out more. I am hoping to get some exposure on these again to see what it all may be worth. I am not sure the cigars are worth much because even though they were not crumbling dry sticks and they did have some spongyness to them, some of them (not all) have had their wrappers crack and since they were not kept in ideal conditions and I dont know exactly when he last cared for them , they may have lost their "essential oils"? ( only got that from other posts i have read about old cigars) I do smoke cigars but am far from an expert so to smoke one of these myself to see if they are any good wouldnt do me much good as I dont know what to look for.

RHNewfie
05-15-2011, 06:58 AM
Pictures?

icehog3
05-15-2011, 08:11 AM
The box may be worth something to a collector. The cigars, as described, are pretty much worthless. :2

OLS
05-15-2011, 08:24 AM
I am not sure the cigars are worth much because even though they were not crumbling dry sticks
and they did have some spongyness to them, some of them (not all) have had their wrappers crack.

Must have been all that sponginess testing.

icehog3
05-15-2011, 08:35 AM
What have you done with them in the 8+ years that you have had them?

Stinky
05-15-2011, 09:28 AM
thats me when i first got them... I had them longer than i thought

I just went back to read the replies I received back in 2003... at that point I got frustrated and hit a dead end with them and finding out more. I am hoping to get some exposure on these again to see what it all may be worth. I am not sure the cigars are worth much because even though they were not crumbling dry sticks and they did have some spongyness to them, some of them (not all) have had their wrappers crack and since they were not kept in ideal conditions and I dont know exactly when he last cared for them , they may have lost their "essential oils"? ( only got that from other posts i have read about old cigars) I do smoke cigars but am far from an expert so to smoke one of these myself to see if they are any good wouldnt do me much good as I dont know what to look for.
Sounds VERY fishy to me! ! !

You got some great answers and information at cA back in 2006. I cannot understand why You don't post photos if you are legit.

There's something very fishy with your story!

Stinky
05-15-2011, 09:32 AM
ooops. Forgot to say . . .

Send your secret photos to Tony Hyman for his expert advice.

Go See the National Cigar Museum (http://www.nationalcigarmuseum.com/Site/NCM_HOME.html)

fid
05-15-2011, 10:05 AM
Still can't post a pic? It sounds to me like you drag these out every now and then, post the same question, and are just looking for someone to tell you that they are very valuable or that they want to buy them. You got frustrated "when you hit a dead end"? Sounds like the guy who responded in that other forum just about gave you the entire history of the cigars you have...short of a value, which I think is all you want. Go pay an appraiser and have it done right.

robj153
05-15-2011, 12:52 PM
Nothing fishy and sorry for not responding back right away.... I am a police officer and work rotating crazy shifts. I had just gotten home this morning when i posted my last. I just woke up. I will take some pics now and post shortly.

pnoon
05-15-2011, 12:57 PM
Nothing fishy and sorry for not responding back right away.... I am a police officer and work rotating crazy shifts. I had just gotten home this morning when i posted my last. I just woke up. I will take some pics now and post shortly.

Don't forget to post an intro in the New Inmate forum.

robj153
05-15-2011, 01:31 PM
Ok... So the pictures are on my computer but when i try to " insert image" in this message box it is asking me for the url address. It doesnt let me browse my files and just attach the pic files. Can anyone give me advice how to show you all these pictures?

robj153
05-15-2011, 01:34 PM
I think i need to send 1 pic per post...says to large...

T.G
05-15-2011, 01:41 PM
Ok... So the pictures are on my computer but when i try to " insert image" in this message box it is asking me for the url address. It doesnt let me browse my files and just attach the pic files. Can anyone give me advice how to show you all these pictures?

For that method, you need to upload them to a free image host, like imagur, imageshack, photobucket, etc then insert the "direct link" code for each photo into that url popup box.

You can also upload them to your photo album here, although the image dimensions and file size are restricted (97KB and 640x480 IIRC). I believe that the system will resize the photos for you on the upload. Then you can just copy the BB link code from under each photo and paste it directly into the message body. You can access your photo albums by clicking on your user name in the upper right hand corner of the screen, directly under the CA banner. Look on the right side of page that it lands you on for "Albums"

Or, you can use the attachment function under "additional options" in the advanced reply (to post) to attach images. File size is restricted to 97KB, but dimensions are not restricted. You can attach a maximum of 5 photos per message.

robj153
05-15-2011, 01:54 PM
K i will try photo bucket i guess

robj153
05-15-2011, 02:07 PM
http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa350/ROBJ153/CIGARPHOTOS005.jpg

robj153
05-15-2011, 02:09 PM
http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa350/ROBJ153/CIGARPHOTOS007.jpg

robj153
05-15-2011, 02:09 PM
http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa350/ROBJ153/CIGARPHOTOS015.jpg

robj153
05-15-2011, 02:10 PM
http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa350/ROBJ153/CIGARPHOTOS023.jpg

robj153
05-15-2011, 02:11 PM
http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa350/ROBJ153/CIGARPHOTOS013.jpg

robj153
05-15-2011, 02:17 PM
trying to post pics from photo bucket... i used "quick reply" and thought the went but now i dont see... will try to send this way without "quick reply"http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa350/ROBJ153/CIGARPHOTOS007.jpg

robj153
05-15-2011, 02:19 PM
please let me know if the pictures came across in this thread. I am not seeing them on my end but each new pic i post it shows me all of them.

I should have become a dentist ... it would have been easier! LOL

robj153
05-15-2011, 02:23 PM
here is what i am told is the tax band ? its under the montecristo bands on each cigar.
has 1939 date on it http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa350/ROBJ153/CIGARPHOTOS025.jpg

icehog3
05-15-2011, 02:24 PM
Don't forget to post an intro in the New Inmate forum.

Reminder.

robj153
05-15-2011, 03:29 PM
When you say post an intro what do you mean? Sorry ...not on here often

OLS
05-15-2011, 03:35 PM
I think what they all mean is that no one here seems to regard very highly people who sign up to sell stuff.
Selling habanos in the open forums here is already prohibited, and doing so in a situation where no
one knows who you are, where you are from, why you are here, etc, is a recipe for disaster all around.
These types of things often go into an intro post, where people can get an idea of who you are and how you
discovered our forum, why you are here, what you like to smoke, etc. Strange as it may seem, you are not the
first person to ever sign up with the single purpose of a free appraisal or a quick buck. While you may in fact not be
either one, that's how you started out, and that's how people will likely view you. Hope that helps.

robj153
05-15-2011, 03:40 PM
OK I get it. But I was not on here to sell anything. I simply was looking for more info on this item. I found the forum just googling cigar forums and have posted on a couple other sites. Simply looking to find those with knowledge on the subject.

I am sorry if my pictures and posts implied anything else or if I insulted anyone.

OLS
05-15-2011, 03:55 PM
I think the pics are great. Obviously we mis-read your intentions. ;)

Starz26
05-15-2011, 04:05 PM
Nice looking box, the sticks are a bit moldy though. Have you kept them humidified in the last 8 years? If not, curious to know how they were kept as mold needs moisture to grow......

Zeuceone
05-15-2011, 04:30 PM
Looks like 8+ years of plume

T.G
05-15-2011, 04:34 PM
Nice looking box, the sticks are a bit moldy though. Have you kept them humidified in the last 8 years? If not, curious to know how they were kept as mold needs moisture to grow......

Could also be dead mold from 8+ years ago, in which case, it should brush off very easily.

Regardless, it's not bad at all - just brush it off and if it's due to current storage, adjust the humidity to be lower.

robj153
05-15-2011, 04:35 PM
when i got the box there was a humidifier in it but not sure when the last time he had re-filled it... since then I had put them in my own humidor and yes, I would say its 8 years of plume. But thats a good thing no? see I told you I was a novice lol

T.G
05-15-2011, 04:42 PM
when i got the box there was a humidifier in it but not sure when the last time he had re-filled it... since then I had put them in my own humidor and yes, I would say its 8 years of plume. But thats a good thing no? see I told you I was a novice lol

That ain't plume bud...

Cornrow_Wallis
05-15-2011, 04:57 PM
That ain't plume bud...

Yep, definitely mold. Brush it off and light one up. If it's nasty, pitch it and keep the others if'n you're the sentimental type.

Starscream
05-15-2011, 08:07 PM
Is it just me, or does that humi/box not have a seal on it? I thought it was a humidor on first glance, but there's no way that it would hold humidity. :confused:

T.G
05-15-2011, 11:04 PM
Yep, definitely mold. Brush it off and light one up. If it's nasty, pitch it and keep the others if'n you're the sentimental type.

I wouldn't light one up just yet. If that mold is new, then the OP's humidor where these have been stored is possibly too moist and being that they have been in there for awhile, the entire cigar could have picked up enough extra moisture into the filler to make it burn poorly and taste bitter. If the mold is new, I would correct the problem in the humidor that is causing the excessive moisture and then allow the cigars to sit in there for a month or so to shed some extra water, then consider lighting one up.

Is it just me, or does that humi/box not have a seal on it? I thought it was a humidor on first glance, but there's no way that it would hold humidity. :confused:

It's not you Andy. I don't see a sealing lip either.

With no warping, a flat seal can hold so some extent, but, yeah, nowhere near as well as a lip seal.

40, 50, 60, 70 years ago they didn't look at or treat/store cigars the way we do today. Nobody was anywhere near as critical about it as they are today. Cigars were stored in desk drawers and cabinets with a moistened sponge for humidity, or even a brick soaked in water. Nothing scientific or measured.

DBall
05-16-2011, 06:00 AM
That humidor looks like a great piece... I think it's pretty cool!

Another guy who would be good to talk to is Nick at www.gothamcigarmuseum.com

Starscream
05-16-2011, 08:28 AM
That humidor looks like a great piece... I think it's pretty cool!

Another guy who would be good to talk to is Nick at www.gothamcigarmuseum.com

It does look like an awesome piece, but I wouldn't use it to store anything in.

robj153
05-16-2011, 10:24 AM
Andy, I had taken the cigars out and put them in a real humidor 8 years ago. I dont think they are worthless as far as smoking them but what do I know.

just thought it was a good conversation piece

robj153
05-16-2011, 10:28 AM
I would say that back then they didnt care for cigars like we do today or why would they put so many cigars in a box like this. lol But what you dont see in the picture is a inner square cedar piece that lays into the inner groove on the box then the lid actually closes down on top of that to create what I guess they considered a decent seal back then.

Subvet642
05-16-2011, 10:28 AM
If it were me, like others have said, I would brush the mold off and fire one up.

robj153
05-16-2011, 10:34 AM
I will soon. LOL my only issue is that I only smoke maybe 3-4 a month and I'm an admitted novice at what to look for in a good cigar... so me smoking one wouldnt tell me too much unless it made me vomit ! LOL

watch... i'll get 500 requests to volunteer to smoke one for me. LOL

As far as the seal, if you look at the partitions they sit slightly lower than the outer walls o the box. This allows for the inner cover to sit in there and the outer lid to hold that down sealing it as best possible.

Subvet642
05-16-2011, 10:39 AM
I will soon. LOL my only issue is that I only smoke maybe 3-4 a month and I'm an admitted novice at what to look for in a good cigar... so me smoking one wouldnt tell me too much unless it made me vomit ! LOL

watch... i'll get 500 requests to volunteer to smoke one for me. LOL

As far as the seal, if you look at the partitions they sit slightly lower than the outer walls o the box. This allows for the inner cover to sit in there and the outer lid to hold that down sealing it as best possible.

The only important thing to look for in any cigar is if YOU like it. That's the whole point, after all.

Starscream
05-16-2011, 12:11 PM
just thought it was a good conversation piece

That it is.:tu Beautiful piece of work.

NCRadioMan
05-16-2011, 12:54 PM
I would say that back then they didnt care for cigars like we do today or why would they put so many cigars in a box like this.

FWIW, humidors that feature different or special sizes like the one you have pictured are still produced and issued today. Also, the 2002-2003 Cohiba Rerserva Seleccion was issued in a box of 30 that has 4 Esplendidos, 6 Robustos, 8 Piramides, 6 Coronas Especiales and 6 Medias Coronas.h

bobarian
05-16-2011, 12:56 PM
Whether or not the cigars are still smokable, you have a great family memento which can be kept in a prominent place to honor your grandfather in law's good taste. :tu

robj153
05-16-2011, 02:15 PM
true bobarian ,,,, so true

robj153
05-17-2011, 05:36 PM
smoking one now ... tuesday night 7:35 pm eastern time.... and its pretty damn good ! :)

bobarian
05-17-2011, 06:16 PM
smoking one now ... tuesday night 7:35 pm eastern time.... and its pretty damn good ! :)

:tu

SDmate
05-17-2011, 06:22 PM

:np

OLS
05-17-2011, 08:15 PM
Additionally, they also still occasionally produce the Seleccion Montecristo which is either 5 or ten each of
the 1-5 sizes. Same type deal without the varnished furniture box. Have not personally seen one in MANY YEARS.

mfarre03
05-18-2011, 05:50 AM
Still calling BS but that's just me.

Eleven
05-18-2011, 06:09 AM
Still calling BS but that's just me.

Still calling BS on what?

mfarre03
05-18-2011, 08:59 AM
The whole thread seems fishy, just doesn't track right. Here he is, his second forum about these cigars, just wants info but got info from the first place he went and didn't do anyting with them. Sounds like hes just pulling our cranks. This crap happens all the time on forums, string the boys along for a few weeks then disappear.

icehog3
05-18-2011, 09:24 AM
Stringing us along for what, Mike?

T.G
05-18-2011, 09:36 AM
Stringing us along for what, Mike?

:tpd:

Knowing how it's very easy to get frustrated with the Cigar Aficionado forums, I'm more inclined to take the OP at his word.

And, if not, what damage is he doing? Certainly not to anyone here - just to himself. He's using the same username, a publicly posted email address, it's his name at stake, not anyone else's. He asked for some info and maybe a value. BFD.

pnoon
05-18-2011, 09:38 AM
I don't see the issue here, either.
:confused:

poker
05-18-2011, 10:57 AM
I dont see an issue. He's only looking for information, nothing more. No harm, no foul in my book.

Bax
05-18-2011, 11:24 AM
Very neat humi to say the least! This is a great little item to pass down to the kids! :tu

Duke9192
05-18-2011, 12:59 PM
Nice looking humidor.

mfarre03
05-18-2011, 02:48 PM
I guess you guys are right, guess I spent too many hours on classic car forums, lloll. Don't know how many times guys have showed up there, first post asking about this amazing old car that was found in a barn, carport, gramps shed etc. The guys help with info, get excited waiting on pics, do research for the guy and it either turns out to be a joke or the guy just wants the info for personal gain (sale) and is never heard from again. I stand corrected...and you have to remember, I work 3rd shift. Sometimes you just have to ignore the ramblings of an off shift Vamp who only got 4 hrs sleep the day before, lol. My apologies to the OP...I'm taking my arse back to bed.;s

The Poet
05-18-2011, 03:03 PM

The :confused: and :rolleyes: issues brought up here interest me not at all. And I understand you do not claim to be a taste expert on such matters. Yet still I would appreciate an attempt by you to add a few details to this, even if not a full-blown review, for no other reason than to satisfy my curiosity.

If you have the time and inclination, that is. :)

robj153
05-19-2011, 08:18 AM
well, not being an expert, the cigar lit, didnt burn up like a dry stick, tasted pretty good ( didn't leave some bitter or moldy old taste in my mouth, smelled good, had a good draw, burned a good 4inches of ash before falling off, and I had to re-light it once when it got about 2 inches from the end and i had it sitting in ashtry a few minutes. Does any of this make it a good cigar? who the hell knows lol but I would smoke them again!

T.G
05-19-2011, 08:40 AM
If you enjoyed it, that's all that matters.