PDA

View Full Version : The Taste of Seco

alfredo_buscatti
05-11-2011, 08:07 AM
I used to think all cigars tasted the same, and now, in my 8th month of cigar smoking, I still do, to some extent; that is there is some component in cigars that make them taste like cigars.

Now this doesn't mean that I don't appreciate the myriad tastes conferred by wrapper and leaf; each cigar tastes the way its been blended.

But something is the same, and as a cigar can't burn without seco, I'm wondering if that's what gives cigars an at least similar taste.

Stinky
05-11-2011, 10:14 AM
The one unique difference that separates cigar tobacco from all other tobacco is:

FERMENTATION

Pipe tobacco is not. Chew is not. Cigarette tobacco is not. Only Cigar Tobacco. Seco is just one type of cigar tobacco. They are all fermented. And, the different tobaccos, different leaves, different priming's, etc. are each fermented differently.

NCRadioMan
05-11-2011, 10:28 AM
a cigar can't burn without seco,

Where in the world did you learn this? :confused:

Pipe tobacco is not. Chew is not. Cigarette tobacco is not. Only Cigar Tobacco. Seco is just one type of cigar tobacco. They are all fermented. And, the different tobaccos, different leaves, different priming's, etc. are each fermented differently.

Yes, pipe tobacco, chewing tobacco's, and cigarette tobaccos are all fermented. 99% of tobacco that is consumed is cured and fermented. :confused:

awsmith4
05-11-2011, 10:29 AM
I think it is the use of tobacco in cigars that make them all have similar tastes...

CigarNut
05-11-2011, 10:43 AM
I think it is the use of tobacco in cigars that make them all have similar tastes...
:tpd:

LasciviousXXX
05-11-2011, 10:54 AM
This whole thread makes me go :confused:

Am I just reading it wrong? Maybe the OP could clarify for us :tu

BTcigars
05-11-2011, 10:55 AM

A simple but true explanation!

Cigars are going to taste the same to some degree because they are cigars. The different tobaccos give it different proprieties for example, try smoking a corojo wrapped cigar along with a maduro. If you smoke them at the same time you will notice the differences.

Where the tobacco was grown also makes a difference. Tobacco from Nicaragua is the strongest on earth so the more powerful cigars out there (JdN Dart Antano and Cain F) use Nica ligero for it's strength.

All in all, the differences can be subtle and the more you smoke the more you will educate your palate. Again I recommend smoking two different cigars at once so that you can spot the noticeable differences right away. Hope this helps.

NCRadioMan
05-11-2011, 11:10 AM
Tobacco from Nicaragua is the strongest on earth
It may be the strongest used in cigars but Nica baccy is not the strongest in the world. That would be Mapacho (sacred tobacco) from the Amazon.

jjirons69
05-11-2011, 11:19 AM
I'm with Tyr. :confused:

I think the question is - cigars taste like cigars, and why?

The one thing I notice, any time I'm around someone smoking a cigar, it always smell like a cigar. Never like a cigarette nor like a pipe. Pipes and cigarettes are the same. None really smell like each other and each is distinguishable. But then you run across someone with a Black and Mild and it smells sort of like a pipe and a little like a cigar (they are made with pipe tobacco which helps that theory).

T.G
05-11-2011, 11:34 AM
I'm with Tyr. :confused:

I think the question is - cigars taste like cigars, and why?

The one thing I notice, any time I'm around someone smoking a cigar, it always smell like a cigar. Never like a cigarette nor like a pipe. Pipes and cigarettes are the same. None really smell like each other and each is distinguishable. But then you run across someone with a Black and Mild and it smells sort of like a pipe and a little like a cigar (they are made with pipe tobacco which helps that theory).

Of course - not only are different varieties of tobacco used, the processing methods and treatments are totally different.

landhoney
05-11-2011, 11:51 AM
That would be Mapacho (sacred tobacco) from the Amazon.

Mmmmmmmm sacred tobacooooooooo!!! hmhhhhhh!!
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa73/icehog3/Homerdrool.jpg
Thanks Tom! :r

sam a
05-11-2011, 12:25 PM
i'm not really clear on if i understand the question... but it does look like the OP is confusing seco and volado. not that the volado used makes all cigars taste the same or similar, but volado is the leaf that is most used for it's burn qualities.

icehog3
05-11-2011, 12:27 PM
It may be the strongest used in cigars but Nica baccy is not the strongest in the world. That would be Mapacho (sacred tobacco) from the Amazon.

Mmmmmmmm sacred tobacooooooooo!!! hmhhhhhh!!
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa73/icehog3/Homerdrool.jpg
Thanks Tom! :r

No doubt!, Greg, got a source?? :wo

massphatness
05-11-2011, 12:35 PM
No doubt!, Greg, got a source?? :wo

I might know a guy who grows stuff hydroponically, Tom. I'm sure he'd label it as Mapacho for you. Lemme know! :tu

T.G
05-11-2011, 12:45 PM
i'm not really clear on if i understand the question... but it does look like the OP is confusing seco and volado. not that the volado used makes all cigars taste the same or similar, but volado is the leaf that is most used for it's burn qualities.

Semantics that depend on the country.

In Cuba and the DR - volado is the name of the lowest priming groups. In Central American countries, seco is the name given to the lowest priming.

Cuba/DR - top down: ligero, seco, volado
Nicarauga, Honduras, etc - top down: ligero, viso, seco

Not every Central American cigar has seco in it. In fact many don't.
There are less island cigars that lack volado, but they do exist.

sam a
05-11-2011, 12:52 PM
Cuba/DR - top down: ligero, seco, volado
Nicarauga, Honduras, etc - top down: ligero, viso, seco

interesting.. i wasn't aware that they called things differently outside of cuba, that is kinda confusing. thanks for the info.

T.G
05-11-2011, 01:00 PM
interesting.. i wasn't aware that they called things differently outside of cuba, that is kinda confusing. thanks for the info.

Welcome. The differences don't stop at the names either, there are many other differences in blending, placement of tobacco and construction, etc.

icehog3
05-11-2011, 01:36 PM
I might know a guy who grows stuff hydroponically, Tom. I'm sure he'd label it as Mapacho for you. Lemme know! :tu

Vin! I'm IN!! :D

BTcigars
05-11-2011, 01:59 PM

I stand corrected....why did you have to mention the whole "sacred tobacco" part....something else I am going to obsess about getting now :sl

;)

alfredo_buscatti
05-12-2011, 02:20 PM
http://tobacconistuniversity.org/images2009/Criollo-labeled-resized.png

is the URL for a diagram of a Criollo plant showing from bottom to top, volado, capote, seco and ligero.

It is from there that I got the idea about seco, as well as watching some cigar rolling video wherein the roller said you always need seco, as it is what helps the cigar to burn.

Starscream
05-12-2011, 02:40 PM

Wig Wam? I thought he was banned.

T.G
05-12-2011, 02:47 PM
http://tobacconistuniversity.org/images2009/Criollo-labeled-resized.png

is the URL for a diagram of a Criollo plant showing from bottom to top, volado, capote, seco and ligero.

It is from there that I got the idea about seco, as well as watching some cigar rolling video wherein the roller said you always need seco, as it is what helps the cigar to burn.

That's an island naming scheme diagram. Ligero - seco - volado

Capote isn't a leaf position/priming, it's what a leaf is used for. Capote is known in English as the binder on a cigar. Capa is wrapper, Tripa is filler.

In regards to the rolling video - as I explained a few posts prior, seco could mean two different things depending on what country you are in, so without knowing this, it's hard to say if he means middle or bottom primings. Not all cigars use bottom primings, although most will have at least some middle primings in there somewhere, but there are a few that have neither.

Correlation does not equal causation. Don't attribute the physical characteristics of what is necessary to achieve a desired combustion profile as the reason for a commonality in flavors.

Starscream
05-12-2011, 02:49 PM
Capote isn't a leaf position/priming, it's what a leaf is used for.

I thought Copote was the guy who wrote In Cold Blood.:D

T.G
05-12-2011, 02:54 PM
:r :tu