PDA

View Full Version : Any Ping Pong Players Here?

Volusianator
05-10-2011, 01:26 PM
We have a table at work and I play at lunch with a co-worker. To date, I've won 97 games, David's won 6. He's very competitive, the games are usually close, but man we have fun.

I want to build my own paddle and am so confused at all the rubber variations. Guess I may need to look into a table tennis forum as well.

Parshooter
05-10-2011, 01:28 PM
I played a lot at summer camp. I remember some paddles had sandpaper instead of rubber. You could generate more english with the sandpaper.

Volusianator
05-10-2011, 01:34 PM
I just watched some professional table tennis tournament on ESPN a few weeks ago and they used sandpaper. From what I've been reading, sandpaper produces LESS spin, however, because of the hardness, it moves the ball...fast. I've just switched to a pip out rubber, get plenty of spin and the ball flies!

jkim05
05-10-2011, 01:38 PM
My friend is a nationally ranked player, but I suck.

SvilleKid
05-10-2011, 01:44 PM
I just watched some professional table tennis tournament on ESPN a few weeks ago and they used sandpaper. From what I've been reading, sandpaper produces LESS spin, however, because of the hardness, it moves the ball...fast. I've just switched to a pip out rubber, get plenty of spin and the ball flies!

I played lots in college, was once pretty good. Preferred the "pip in" style paddle myself. the surface was almost "sticky", and gave exceptional control for spin. Definitely NOT as fast as sandpaper, but very controllable got spin and accuracy.

OLS
05-10-2011, 02:09 PM
My dad came back from Salvation Army one saturday with a net, 4 paddles and a small sleeve of balls.
I already had a can of "chalkboard Paint" I had picked up at SA a month before. he painted me up
a piece of 3/4 inch plywood and I striped it with tape and me and the kid next door wore it OUT for a year
until we moved on to other stuff. Back then kids, you see, there was no such thing as the internets, and a
kid was as likely as not to disappear out the door at 8 am and come back at dusk without so much as
an explanation as to where he had been. Our little table on saw horses was on the side of my house by the
A/C unit. HOURS I'm tellin ya....hours and hours. Then I think fishing took over when they cut a brand new road
that ran parallel to the river but was back in the swamp. The fishing was crazy good for a decade. It was a hell
of a haul on a bike with a pole, a tackle box and a bucket, but so worth it. I had a compost pile that grew
worms 3/8 inch thick and 8-9 inches long. An endless supply....yeah, I like ping pong.

Volusianator
05-10-2011, 02:19 PM
Nice Brad, very nice. Miss those old days when we entertained ourselves.

hotreds
05-10-2011, 04:38 PM
LOVE ping pong, hard to find a place to play, and room for a table at home is lacking as well. However, I do try to play once or twice a week at a school about an hour from home- if gas keeps going up that will have to cease or curtail!

Check out:

www.paddlepalace.com

GoodFella
05-10-2011, 05:27 PM
like to play when i can but it seems like when friends are around and there is a table it turns in to beer pong

Volusianator
05-10-2011, 06:01 PM
Whew, that was fun, just won 5 more out of 5 games on lunch. Got a nice sweat going, hate to sit down to work.

Volusianator
05-10-2011, 06:02 PM
Check out:

www.paddlepalace.com

I was there earlier looking at rubber, but man it's expensive. Tonight I start my paddle, just not sure what to cover it with, maybe I'll make a few.

MedicCook
05-10-2011, 06:17 PM
I loved playing ping pong. My first house had a finished room in the basement and I built my own table.

Patrick B
05-10-2011, 08:08 PM
LOVE IT! Played a ton in my 20's, both at school and work. I play about twice a year now and it kills me to go so long. I need to find some people around here to play with!

I use a sweet rubber paddle and I hold it upside down, I guess what is called Chinese style. The paddle's name is Lucille. She is a sweetheart!

hotreds
05-10-2011, 08:10 PM
Patrick: I try to play in Newton on Mondays at 3:30 and Thursdays at 6:00. LMK if you can come down some day or evening.

Patrick B
05-10-2011, 08:12 PM
Awesome. I'll google up where Newton is.

Mugen910
05-10-2011, 08:13 PM
tis the Real Life Linked-In says the latest Bloomberg.

hotreds
05-10-2011, 08:28 PM
Awesome. I'll google up where Newton is.

Sorry- Newtown!

Volusianator
05-11-2011, 01:32 PM
Well, I made my first table tennis paddle last night. 5ply plywood, Black Walnut oversized handle and 150 grit sandpaper on the blade. It spins nice and sends the ball fast! Now it's time to start ordering some rubber and make a couple more, although my next one may have a cork blade.

Patrick B
05-11-2011, 02:19 PM
Damn, that's 45 minutes for me. I'll make a point to come a couple times. Gotta get Lucille back from my buddies house.

Volusianator
05-11-2011, 02:40 PM
Id be happy to drive 45 minutes for a few good competitive games!