PDA

View Full Version : Everyday Cigars???

N2 GOLD
05-10-2011, 11:23 AM
Don't know much about either of these. From what I have read they are pretty similar. I was looking for some "HELP" to see what would be a better buy for everyday smoke & just to have for friends who generally don't smoke cigars.. :hm

These are the two choices both in the same price range:

1. Palma Real,
http://www.cigarsinternational.com/prodDisp.asp?item=CS-X7A&cat=3

2.Free Cuba,
http://www.cigarsinternational.com/prodDisp.asp?item=CS-FCA&cat=3

bobarian
05-10-2011, 11:40 AM
Here is a review of the Free Cuba that Ratter's did a while ago. Make your own judgement.

Cigar: Free Cuba
Wrapper: Connecticut shade (Dominican?)
Binder: Dominican
Filler: Dominican long filler
Vitola: Toro
Price: $1 if bought by the bundle. They actually make you take two bundles. Bastards.

Setting: Sun room, about 85 degrees out, 2pm, drinking a diet Sunkist that’s about to be replaced with a root beer.

Free Cuba - 1

Pre-light:
Well, the cigar is definitely shade grown, but with definite veins that are dark and give it a “varicose vein” appearance, and a wrap that you can see and is verging on loose. The cigar is firm and springy to the touch, well, if you find down pillows to be firm and springy. The foot give the appearance of a cigar that is going to draw VERY well. The cigar has a sweet smell to the wrapper, reminiscent of my Backwoods days. I was going to smell the foot but didn’t want to risk tobacco bits up the nostrils.

Free Cuba - 2

First third: The cigar clipped easily and I was rewarded with some tobacco confetti from the head. I felt so special. The cigar lit up easily with the Ronson, a lighter befitting the grand stature of this smoke. The promise of a free draw dutifly fulfilled, I was rewarded with a copious amount of smoke rich in the taste of…. well, bland tobacco. Not even the sweetness was present. Dry hay with some dry grass and hints of Sahara cause all I’m getting is DRY. It’s like the cigar sucked all the moisture out of my mouth. The cigar ash is a nice light gray, maintaining it’s integrity up to a full 1/4 inch. The loose draw does allow for a large amount of smoke to taste. I don’t think I ever wished for a plugged cigar before.

Free Cuba - 3

Second third: The blessing of a loose draw is that the cigar is burning rather quickly. I must say the burn is even, if a tad wavy. The body has definitely moved up into the mild range. Though I must admit that it is producing a lot of smoke. Thin, dry, smoke. The hay and grass flavors remain, with hints of crab grass and dandelion entering the picture. But you do get some nice bitterness in there too. Did I mention it was dry. As a bonus, each puff is rewarded with a fireworks display of ash off the end. Thoughtful of them to add the extra entertainment. The ash is holding to almost the 1/2 inch mark now, well, whats left after the fireworks.

Free Cuba - 4

Final third: As I enter the final third I thought I was going to pull a Jerry. Seriously. But I kept it together. The body is moving into the medium range actually. Wish it woulda stayed mild. The dryness is lessening but I think it’s because my salivary glands have gone into overdrive. The finish is sharp and unpleasant. It leaves a burning feeling in the back of your throat and roof of your mouth. OK, I just dry heaved twice at about the label and I think I’m gonna give up the ghost on this one. I was hoping to bring it to the nub, but can’t. Wow, how do people smoke these things.

Free Cuba - 5

Final thoughts:
Well, I thought this was gonna be a fun review of a relatively tasteless and mild cigar. Wow, was I wrong. How do people smoke this ****? It seriously was as bad as the Backwoods. Man, I wish my friend woulda given me a corona. I gotta ask him if he actually smokes this thing of if he was just messing with me. The blessing is that it does burn quickly. It normally takes me about two hours to get through a toro, I was down to the label on this in 45 minutes. I think I need to smoke a El Duque to get bad taste out of my mouth. If you actually spent the time to read the review do the opposite of what I’m about to write. ::Wink:: If not they get what’s coming to them. ::Grin:: BTW, the staff who did the reviews for this on CI should be shot.

J0eybb
05-10-2011, 11:50 AM
I didn't care for the FCs

pektel
05-10-2011, 11:59 AM
Arganese Maduro. $25 for a bundle of 20. About the cheapest ones I can actually recommend as not being a dog rocket. But I haven't tried many dirt cheap smokes.

macsauce13
05-10-2011, 12:00 PM
I go with Puros Indios Viejo for what you are looking for. Rolled by Rolando Reyes Sr. and really good smokes! They can be had for $20-25 bundle!

Starscream
05-10-2011, 12:09 PM
Indian Tabac Super Fuerte
Jr Alt Cohiba Sig IV
Punch Elites
etc...
there's a cheap smoke thread somewhere around here. I believe it's a sticky at the top of the page. Much better sticks out there to be had than what you posted.:2

EDIT: http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=643

BlindedByScience
05-10-2011, 12:14 PM
I have a rather contrary opinion about this; I'd rather smoke every other day and smoke quality than try to find something I can tolerate just so I could smoke daily. To me, a cigar is a treat, a celebration, an hour of enjoyment and calm in an otherwise busy day. Choking something down I can barely stand isn't my idea of a good time.

This doesn't mean high dollar premiums; I'm not rich either. But, honestly, Padron x000's are about where I stop. There are actually several smokes in the under $100 / box range that are quite good. The Padron x000 series happens to be my favorite.

No dis on the guys that like bundle smokes....I'm just not one of them.

JMHO, YMMV, etc.....N.F.H.

Starscream
05-10-2011, 12:19 PM
I have a rather contrary opinion about this; I'd rather smoke every other day and smoke quality than try to find something I can tolerate just so I could smoke daily. To me, a cigar is a treat, a celebration, an hour of enjoyment and calm in an otherwise busy day. Choking something down I can barely stand isn't my idea of a good time.

This doesn't mean high dollar premiums; I'm not rich either. But, honestly, Padron x000's are about where I stop. There are actually several smokes in the under $100 / box range that are quite good. The Padron x000 series happens to be my favorite.

No dis on the guys that like bundle smokes....I'm just not one of them.

JMHO, YMMV, etc.....N.F.H.

Plenty of good bundle smokes out there. Plenty of gems if you know where to look. You just have to find the right ones. CI, Thompson, and JR hype up all of there crap sticks which give bundle smokes a bad name.

T.G
05-10-2011, 12:54 PM
Don't know much about either of these. From what I have read they are pretty similar. I was looking for some "HELP" to see what would be a better buy for everyday smoke & just to have for friends who generally don't smoke cigars.. :hm

These are the two choices both in the same price range:

1. Palma Real,
http://www.cigarsinternational.com/prodDisp.asp?item=CS-X7A&cat=3

2.Free Cuba,
http://www.cigarsinternational.com/prodDisp.asp?item=CS-FCA&cat=3

...and with those two choices, you would be ensuring that they continue not smoking cigars.

With those two cigars one must ask themselves which flavor profile do they prefer:
1) Straw, with a touch of hay, alfalfa and a hint of hydraulic oil from the combine
2) cardboard with a smattering of self adhesive shipping label and delectable highlights of styrofoam packing peanut pieces and fiberglass reinforced shipping tape.