PDA

View Full Version : Tasting spirits - the influence of the glass


eldondo
05-10-2011, 01:24 AM
Beside cigars I also like good spirits... R(h)um, Whisky etc....

To get the best taste outta all that stuff I'm convinced that you need the right glass... which is for me a nosing glass in most cases.

I made a lil experiment together with a friend to find out the difference between two glasses whic hare typically used when it comes to spirits... a nosing glass and a tumbler.

The clear "winner" in the experiment was the nosing glass... the difference in the aromas we tasted was really impressing.

If you like to read more about it, check out my latest report on my blog: http://bit.ly/influence_glass

What are your experiences with different glasses? What do you think about the influence of the shape of a glass?

Patrick B
05-10-2011, 01:30 AM
I've been meaning to pick some of these up. I've had a few drinks out of these and it does enhance the experience.

mfarre03
05-10-2011, 04:47 AM
We use a similar glass at our Scotch Club. The aroma is all part of the experience. We also have a nosing kit, it really helps to pinpoint what your smelling.

TheRiddick
05-10-2011, 09:00 AM
Nosing (smell) is responsible for roughly 80% of any drink's perception, palate impression makes up the other 20%. Same drink in different glass will "taste" different unless you're doing shots :-)

FWIW, when Remy-Martin had a facility in Napa (CA) their private tasting room used tall, thin glasses (1.5 oz? size) and not the usual snifter ones. When I asked, was told this is the proper glass to evaluate brandy.

Apoco
05-10-2011, 09:08 AM
I use a similar glass, except without the long stem. The stem on my glass is much more stubbier than that.

Though the only time I can really tell a difference in flavor is in cognacs, which should be served at body temperature. Trying to drink cognac out of a highball glass (or really anything other than a brandy snifter) will leave it falling flat on its face. The right tool for the job is important :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Parshooter
05-10-2011, 10:27 AM
I do believe glasses make a difference. I have special glasses for bourbon, scotch, tequila, and port.
I also think it's important to add lots of ice to scotch. Really opens it up.

BigCat
05-10-2011, 11:38 AM
I know that the shape of the glass has a lot to do with the aroma, but there is something about drinking a nice scotch or bourbon in a waterford tumbler that enhances the experience for me. I just have to shove my nose down in it more often. I also like the snifters, which do a better job of concentrating the aromas.

As for adding lots of ice to scotch to open it up, I think you're just diluting it and numbing your taste buds. I can see a drop or two of water, but to each his own...

eldondo
05-10-2011, 12:11 PM
I also think it's important to add lots of ice to scotch. Really opens it up.

Maybe you try it with some water instead of ice? Will keep it at room temperature andīll help to develop the fine flavors much better than if cooled down... you should try it and see the difference.

Parshooter
05-10-2011, 02:29 PM
Maybe you try it with some water instead of ice? Will keep it at room temperature andīll help to develop the fine flavors much better than if cooled down... you should try it and see the difference.

Damn Heiko, I was trying to get you going and you just come up with a reasonable answer. Maybe next time :sl

eldondo
05-10-2011, 03:11 PM
Good try, Marc.... :noon