PDA

View Full Version : USPS Prepaid Flat-Rate Priority Mail FOREVER Postage

J0eybb
05-09-2011, 11:04 AM
Flat Rates and Forever® Postage
Make Shipping Even Simpler

Prepaid Forever Priority Mail Flat Rate™ Packaging…
now available for order.
Looking to save time and money on shipping? The Postal Service™ has made it easier with Prepaid Forever Priority Mail Flat Rate Packaging. You’ll get the same Flat Rate Shipping with the added convenience of “Forever” postage already applied.

Our convenient Flat Rates already eliminate weighing and guesswork. And postage-paid packaging makes your shipping tasks even easier. So stock up now… and pay the same Flat Rate.

Small flatrate boxes are $5.20. Saw this on SD, and figured the guys tht ship enough will get good use out of this.

http://www.usps.com/shipping/prepaid.htm

EricF
05-09-2011, 11:08 AM
These look interesting. May have to look into them!

kydsid
05-09-2011, 11:49 AM
But that is more than the current price for online flat rate? I guess this means they are going to raise the flat rate price again. Sigh.

CigarNut
05-09-2011, 11:49 AM
It's not really a savings for me... The boxes are free today and postage costs $5.00 for a small FR box.

In both cases you need a box and you have to print a label, so this new prepaid packaging boils down to 20cent charge for the (small flat rate) box...

J0eybb
05-09-2011, 11:52 AM
But that is more than the current price for online flat rate? I guess this means they are going to raise the flat rate price again. Sigh.

This is what I got from it. I guess the advantage is its prestamped. Maybe if you buy them now, and use them in 5 years.... who knows.

I bought books of foreverstamps when they came out, and sat on them till stamps went up, but it was for convienece, not to save money.

OLS
05-09-2011, 11:52 AM
If the USPS is promoting it it has to be a scam. From the people who brought you
entrenched counter beauracracy and attitude you can't do anything about. Unless you
want your package kicked across the room. :) I know, I know, tell us how you really feel.

J0eybb
05-09-2011, 11:57 AM
My wife uses the current flat rates, and ships them regular. Depends on the weight.

chippewastud79
05-09-2011, 12:22 PM
Its $5.20 currently to ship in person (which I usually do), so it seems to be a deal if there is an impending rate hike. :2

CigarNut
05-09-2011, 12:38 PM
My wife uses the current flat rates, and ships them regular. Depends on the weight.Not true. Flat Rate boxes are fixed price -- $5 (online) for small, $10.95 (online) for medium, and $14.95 (online) for large -- independent of weight -- although I think there is a max of 70lbs which would only impact those shippling lead or gold :rolleyes:

Its $5.20 currently to ship in person (which I usually do), so it seems to be a deal if there is an impending rate hike. :2They just did a rate increase a couple of months ago, increasing the online price from $4.85 to $5.00. I am hoping that the price will remain unchanged for a little while longer...:<

J0eybb
05-09-2011, 12:40 PM
Not true. Flat Rate boxes are fixed price (online vs. counter) -- $5 for small, $10.95 for medium, and $14.95 for large -- independent of weight -- although I think there is a max of 70lbs which would only impact those shippling lead or gold :rolleyes:

They just did a rate increase i couple of months ago, increasing the online price from $4.85 to $5.00. I am hoping that the price will remain unchanged for a little while longer...

My wife wraps the box in brown shipping paper. instantly cheaper... lol

I didn't even know it was $5.00 I thought it was still $4.85.

CigarNut
05-09-2011, 12:41 PM
Its $5.20 currently to ship in person (which I usually do), so it seems to be a deal if there is an impending rate hike. :2If you print your label online it is a lot easier to do it online and deliver the package to either your letter carrier, collection box, or post office than it is to wait in line...

chippewastud79
05-09-2011, 12:54 PM
If you print your label online it is a lot easier to do it online and deliver the package to either your letter carrier, collection box, or post office than it is to wait in line...

Living in a condo, with an out-box for only letters, I cannot arrange pickup. For me, the post office was my only option and I have no problem stopping by. :2

CigarNut
05-09-2011, 12:57 PM
Living in a condo, with an out-box for only letters, I cannot arrange pickup. For me, the post office was my only option and I have no problem stopping by. :2I don't use the carrier pick up either... If I see my letter carrier I will give any packages to them. Otherwise I drive them over to the post office. If you pay online they allow you to leave the packages on the loading dock -- which get picked up more frequently than the collection bins out front. I just hate waiting in line at the post office so I do everything I can to avoid it...

wayner123
05-09-2011, 01:21 PM
Living in a condo, with an out-box for only letters, I cannot arrange pickup. For me, the post office was my only option and I have no problem stopping by. :2

You don't have to have an out box. You can simply arrange for a pick-up and on the online form check the box that the package is inside the house. The biggest problem with this, is that you must be home at whatever time of day the person comes by and gets it.

Also, shipping a flat rate box covered with paper is in conflict with the agreement you checked when getting the boxes for free.

Online also has free DC. The flat rate envelope is the best option.

NCRadioMan
05-09-2011, 01:24 PM
In 10 years when shipping will probably be $10+, this would be a good investment.

I can see a postage black market starting. Hmmmm :D

BlindedByScience
05-09-2011, 01:32 PM
If you print your label online it is a lot easier to do it online and deliver the package to either your letter carrier, collection box, or post office than it is to wait in line...
...I've always found it interesting that you can't print an on line "Click and Ship" label for a flat rate box....until you enter the weight....:sh

emopunker2004
05-09-2011, 01:34 PM
...I've always found it interesting that you can't print an on line "Click and Ship" label for a flat rate box....until you enter the weight....:sh

I'm sure it has to do with the loading of the trucks

Bunker
05-09-2011, 01:45 PM
If you got a quantaty discount it might be worth it, but the price doesn't change (at least for the LFR).

It is still cheaper to print your own postage. ($14.20)

My mail carrier will take boxes for me, or I just print my lables and hand them to the postal worker at the counter.

elderboy02
05-09-2011, 06:04 PM

If you request a pickup, you can leave it on your front porch. They will pick it up.

chippewastud79
05-10-2011, 10:23 AM
If you request a pickup, you can leave it on your front porch. They will pick it up.

Talk to our former post-person then. ;)

J0eybb
05-10-2011, 10:28 AM

Ha, we had the same problem with UPS. We had overnights that needed to be picked up, but he was the 'ground' guy, and refused to pick it up.

T.G
05-10-2011, 10:37 AM
Not true. Flat Rate boxes are fixed price -- $5 (online) for small, $10.95 (online) for medium, and $14.95 (online) for large -- independent of weight -- although I think there is a max of 70lbs which would only impact those shippling lead or gold :rolleyes:

Or a large FRB full of concrete, like one of my friends from another forum did to someone as part of a secret trick or treat trades. One of the best gags I've seen. Doubly funny as heck to see the photo series from the recipient as he got the box and busted it open only to find a few dog cigars that had been placed right into the concrete without a bag (that was the trick - a very nice treat was sent separately).

kaisersozei
05-10-2011, 10:43 AM
I just discovered a new USPS shipping option called Regional Flat Rate:

http://www.usps.com/communications/newsroom/localnews/fl/2011/fl_2011_0311.htm

The boxes are different sizes from the sm/med/lg flat rate, and it looks more economical when shipping more stuff than would fit in that small box.

elderboy02
05-10-2011, 10:46 AM

You should talk to the USPS then. My work location is in an office condo and we have the mailboxes out on a pad. He still picks them up.

CigarNut
05-10-2011, 11:11 AM

The boxes are different sizes from the sm/med/lg flat rate, and it looks more economical when shipping more stuff than would fit in that small box.The regional shipping came out with the last rate increase. They are supposed to be an economical alternative to the medium and large flat rate boxes. They can be a better deal, but you have to look up the zone to determine the pricing.

T.G
05-10-2011, 11:14 AM

The boxes are different sizes from the sm/med/lg flat rate, and it looks more economical when shipping more stuff than would fit in that small box.

Those just came out and yeah, I kind of discovered them by accident too a few months ago. I was looking at a rates chart and noticed new lines for "regional A" and "regional B" rates.

There are a few caveats to them though. They have a lower weight limit of like 15-20lbs depending on the box, they charge by distance/zone, you have to order the boxes from the website, and, you can't pay for them at the counter or APC, they can only be used with USPS website purchased postage & generated label (not sure if other vendors can sell postage for them or not).