PDA

View Full Version : Wooden Matches vs. Torches

CigarRod
05-06-2011, 10:45 AM
Looked around in the newbie forums and didn't see anyting on this topic, but which do you prefer brothers?

Apoco
05-06-2011, 10:54 AM
For the longest time I was matches only...then I decided a torch was way easier :)

I still go with matches for anything that is really special, I feel that it puts me in the right mindset of really taking your time to enjoy it. But for the most part I use my trusty Ronson now a days.
Posted via Mobile Device

Emjaysmash
05-06-2011, 10:57 AM
If it is not windy, and I'm feeling patient, I'll use matches. Most of the time I'm too impatient to use matches.

CoreyD
05-06-2011, 10:59 AM
At the B&M i'll sometimes use a match and light a cedar strip and light it that way.

NCRadioMan
05-06-2011, 11:00 AM
Triple or Quad torch. Light and go. Matches are a waste of time to me.

CasaDooley
05-06-2011, 11:03 AM
Torch it. Smoke it. Smile. :ss

RustyShackleford
05-06-2011, 11:03 AM
Most of the time I use my xikar soft flame lighter.
Does it make the cigar taste better than if I lit it with a torch, no probably not but like Apoco said it puts me in the mindset of taking my time to enjoy the cigar.

CigarRod
05-06-2011, 11:07 AM
Never tried the cedar strip thing. Is that the cedar that come on the sticks sometimes?

T.G
05-06-2011, 11:14 AM
Whatever gets my cigar lit. Typically I use a bic though.

T.G
05-06-2011, 11:16 AM
Never tried the cedar strip thing. Is that the cedar that come on the sticks sometimes?

Yeah, you just slide it halfway off the cigar, light the end and start inhaling, gives a great even light to the foot.

Nathan King
05-06-2011, 11:22 AM
Yeah, you just slide it halfway off the cigar, light the end and start inhaling, gives a great even light to the foot.

I did that once and almost lost an eyebrow.

Anyway, I usually use a long spill. I've been told I light and smoke cigars painfully slowly.

Giants85
05-06-2011, 11:23 AM
Torch for me, faster and easier when outdoors and I usually smoke outside.

N2 GOLD
05-06-2011, 11:26 AM
When I'm feeling patient, I use a cedar rod/stick... Works & smells great. I saw it on an old (90's) cigar video... -(P

Bill86
05-06-2011, 11:33 AM
I use a soft flame Dunhill Rollagas. Toast the foot, 2 puffs.....lit.

Mugen910
05-06-2011, 12:00 PM
I use a soft flame Dunhill Rollagas. Toast the foot, 2 puffs.....lit.

Oh you fancy huh?

bobarian
05-06-2011, 12:31 PM
Oh you fancy huh?

:r:r

The Mighty Guangda! :banger

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/1046/sku41791.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/153/sku41791.jpg/)

markem
05-06-2011, 12:41 PM
gotta say, I go with whatever works. I've lit off candles, plumbers torch, and other odd stuff, but my trusty $2.50 GuangDa lighter never fails me.

The only thing that I would add is to never light with anything that will impart flavor (except maybe a Spanish cedar spill) since the results aren't what you are looking for. In this regard, the question for the torch lighter crowd is which group of lighter fluid vendors are the way to go. I always go food quality and buy from a reputable kitchen supply place (ask for Creme Brulee torch fluid - almost always Vector).

shilala
05-06-2011, 12:49 PM
I don't have any matches, and I've grown really fond of running all over the house and checking in the cars to find a lighter that works.
Don't get me wrong, I've had lighters that work, but eventually they wear out or I give them away. I need to gather them all up again and refill them. It'd probably help if I learned how to refill them properly, as well.

I always smoke outside, so matches would stress me out. I do love start a cigar with a stick from the fire, though. I just don't often have one around. ;)

kickerb
05-06-2011, 12:50 PM
mostly a torch, but when I have time I use a cedar spill. i dont use matches much at all.

awsmith4
05-06-2011, 12:50 PM
gotta say, I go with whatever works. I've lit off candles, plumbers torch, and other odd stuff, but my trusty $2.50 GuangDa lighter never fails me.

The only thing that I would add is to never light with anything that will impart flavor (except maybe a Spanish cedar spill) since the results aren't what you are looking for. In this regard, the question for the torch lighter crowd is which group of lighter fluid vendors are the way to go. I always go food quality and buy from a reputable kitchen supply place (ask for Creme Brulee torch fluid - almost always Vector).

I have also used just about everything but prefer torches. Like Mark said above, the fuel is what is most important. I have expensive torches and I have Deal Extreme torches and none ever fail me as long as they have good fuel.

alfredo_buscatti
05-07-2011, 02:26 AM
Having come from the pipe world, and even though I have an Old Boy pipe lighter, I always found I could light a pipe reliably with matches; and used them for years, mostly because I could never fill the Old Boy correctly.

But when I graduated to cigars, I saw quickly that the amount of tobacco in a cigar to be managed was far greater than with a pipe, and for me that could be done best with a torch.

I took a few lessons from my tobacconist, and it was off to the races!

Bunker
05-07-2011, 05:09 AM
I bought a few of those hong kong, crack-torch looking things you can weld with, work great.

whodeeni
05-07-2011, 04:01 PM
Oh you fancy huh?

"Nails done, hair done, everything did!!!!" Bao you're crazy!:r:r:r

backwoods357
05-08-2011, 09:47 PM
Like Mark said above, the fuel is what is most important.

I've lost many a good lighter to Ronson fuel, I bought some Vector yesterday and the difference is amazing. I never knew about the filtered stuff until I read about it here. I've used matches but I've gotten a nasty sulfur taste from them even after letting them burn down, so they are out. Where do you buy your cedar spills? I don't think I've seen them at my B&M. Guess I'll look harder. Has anyone had any luck unclogging torch lighters, maybe using an ultrasonic cleaner?

icehog3
05-08-2011, 11:07 PM
The vast majority feel the wrath of my Blazer PB207.

DBall
05-09-2011, 05:27 AM
A torch...

I'm lazy and appreciate instant gratification. I just want the damned thing lit. ;)