PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a CNC wood-carving machine?

shilala
05-02-2011, 08:11 AM
Like the Shopbot (http://www.shopbottools.com/mProducts/desktop.htm) or a Carvewright or Compucarve or Rockler, etc.?
I'd been considering the Carvewright and now I'm seriously thinking on the Shopbot, and I wanted to hear some experiences.
Maybe family or friends have something?
Thanks!!!
Scott

jjirons69
05-02-2011, 10:11 AM
Is there anything you don't do, Scott? You're a wild man.

shilala
05-02-2011, 10:49 AM
No, Jamie. I get bored easy, so I do all kinds of stuff. I like to learn and keep busy.
I love working with wood. I always intended to retire to a shop so I could make birdhouses till I was old and dead. I just never imagined I'd retire so soon. :)
I'll be able to make some incredible stuff with one of these machines, I've wanted one for years now. The shopbot is way more intense than what I was looking at, but it's really the same thing on a larger scale.
I was just hoping someone had some shopping experience. I'd far rather trust our brothers experiences than a bunch of anonymous reviews, ya know?

I had to tear down my shop when I got married and moved out here, and I just got started rebuilding it. I'm a long ways from turning out any projects, or finishing some of the dozen I have started, but I'm getting there. I have to finish shelves in the garage, build my sweet baby a great big deck, and finish off the basement first, but I'll definately be cranking out daily projects by Fall, if not sooner. I think. :D

nofeardiver
05-02-2011, 01:39 PM
i have a buddy that just bought a CNC machine i have no clue what brand but i can ask him...

BTcigars
05-02-2011, 01:43 PM
Looks pretty slick. You may consider making your own CNC depending on what you are planning on using it for. Could be a lot cheaper!

shilala
05-02-2011, 02:26 PM
i have a buddy that just bought a CNC machine i have no clue what brand but i can ask him...
Thanks, Dan!!! :tu

shilala
05-02-2011, 02:30 PM
Looks pretty slick. You may consider making your own CNC depending on what you are planning on using it for. Could be a lot cheaper!
I looked at the Zen stuff and gave it a thought for about two minutes. I don't want to kit it out. Once I do my due diligence and read till my head hurts, it might become an option again. We'll see. I just don't want a headache, I want to enjoy this. If it costs more money to assure it's a pleasant experience, it's money well spent. That's pretty much what led me to ShopBot in the first place. Top notch equipment and support. They're supposed to be The King. :sh

BTcigars
05-02-2011, 02:44 PM
Check out youtube if you havent already. Real time video of dovetails being cut in about a minute thirty! Also there is a iphone app to control it....very nice!

shilala
05-02-2011, 09:11 PM
Check out youtube if you havent already. Real time video of dovetails being cut in about a minute thirty! Also there is a iphone app to control it....very nice!
I will definitely check that out. Thank you!!!

shilala
05-25-2011, 08:58 AM
I've been looking at Stinger (http://www.stingercnc.com/), as well.
They really don't stack up to shopbot, so far as I've seen yet.
I have to look at them a bit more, but I'm most likely to go with a Shopbot Buddy. I've gotta squeeze in lots of hours on the toolpath software first, and I'll see how each stacks up in their forums. It's a lot of time, this will probably get pushed back to the Fall, at least. I'm getting educated a bit, though. :tu