PDA

View Full Version : Cabinet humidor seasoning and beads

Altra
04-30-2011, 03:32 PM
Ok most of you saw my thread about getting the new cabinet and setting it up last Thursday. Now I know humidors once seasoned hold the humidity better when they are filled with cigars. Here is my question.

So this is the black Tower with out drawers from Cheaphumidors.com. I have a Hydra Lg in there and set it to 70 for the first few days to help speed up the process. I have this one shelf up from the bottom of the cabinet.

3 fans running, 1 on the top shelf, 1 2 shelves down and 1 on the very bottom blowing up.

4 bowls with distilled water/papertowel throughout the humidor on multiple shelves.

Ok on to my question, been about 2 days worth of time and I know this thing will take a while so i'm ok with that. Now the top is lower humidity then the bottom, doesn't humidity rise? The door is tight and I also put weather stripping around just to be extra anal :D The RH is rising slowly so it's not a problem but I thought I would be having to get the lower part of the cabinet up not the top.

When I add cigars I will be adding about 6 or 8 boxes and some singles. Do you guys think that amount plus adding beads and keeping the Hydra on will keep this thing from dropping RH? I plan on putting 4lbs of beads in there. I plan of course to put more boxes in as I can of course but curious how it will be with what I currently have.

I'm not new to cigars but I am totally new to a humidor this size. So if you can make out my rambling what input do you guys have?

Appreciate it,

Shawn

Altra
05-01-2011, 04:50 AM
Also would it hinder the seasoning process if I put the beads in when they arrive this week, or should I wait till it seasons longer? Calculator stated 2.5lbs so I ordered 3 and 6 half pound bags so I can put them all over.

See how that goes for a while & if need be I will add another pound.

Shawn

HollywoodQue
05-01-2011, 08:28 AM
Shawn, I recently purchased a large double door cabinet humidor and dealt with some of the same issues as you are now. The secret to a perfect humidor is patience!!!! Here are the steps that I followed with the help of my fellow BOTL on this forum, which appear to be working great so far.

1. I seasoned my cabinet the same way as my desktop. I prep'd my humidor first by sanding, adding my lights, and 2 extra fans for air circulation.

2. I also resealed it using weather stripping.

3. I used about 1/2 gal of distilled water poured into several bowls and placed them on various shelves in my humi. I also ran an Oasis XL for about a week with a setting of 70%, which was placed on the bottom shelf. I placed several meters inside also on various shelves. NO BEADS AT THIS POINT because they will defeat the purpose of seasoning.

4. I ordered a NEW Hydra LG because the Oasis was broken which came with the humidor. I also ordered 3lbs of 65% beads.

5. Week 2- After 1 week of using only distilled water and the Oasis, I removed the bowls and the broken Oasis, then only used the Hydra LG which I set to 67.5% humidity and let it run for another week. I also placed all of the cedar trays inside at this point and 4 calibrated (salt tested) meters throughout the cabinet.

6. Week 3 - Humidity levels were holding at 67.5 throughout the humidor, so I added my cigars and beads now. I lowered my humidity setting to 65% on the Hydra. After letting them rest in their new home for a few days, I checked my readings and the lower shelves are holding at 65% and the upper readings were slightly higher at 68%. I may just need to move a few bags of beads around to make the adjustment, but overall, it seems to be working fine.

I am sure that there are several recommendations for seasoning a cabinet humidor as I have read many suggestions on THIS forum. Great advice was found here and these are the steps I used, which worked for me. Hope this helps.

Patience is definately the key to making the FINE TUNING adjustments to your new humidor. Remember this old rule of carpentry.....measure twice and cut once. Same rules apply here....take your time...and enjoy filling it up and smoking some great sticks.

OLS
05-01-2011, 09:03 AM
Two things....Weatherstripping, I think, is an over-reaction at this point. Too late to undo it now, but why did
you put it on there? Obviously the humidity loss did not prompt it, because you did it before you started
the process. Until the humidor proves that it requires adding a patch to help it do it's job, you have to
assume that maybe you added to the problem. I say this only to prove a useless point, and that is, don't over-
think it to the detriment of the "system". If I had one of those, I would also ASSUME that it was leaky, because
that has been my impression of these since I saw the first one.

In the long run I think you will not regret weather-stripping it, I just point that out because like I said,
"Why did you do it?" I think time will balance things out, but remember, by it's very nature that
humidor is not going to EVER be balanced, it's a tower. Cigars that smoke better dry can go on top,
the stovepipe draws can go in the bottom. You will find what works best as time goes by.

And I forgot what the other thing was, haha.

HollywoodQue
05-01-2011, 09:30 AM
Two things....Weatherstripping, I think, is an over-reaction at this point. Too late to undo it now, but why did
you put it on there? Obviously the humidity loss did not prompt it, because you did it before you started
the process. Until the humidor proves that it requires adding a patch to help it do it's job, you have to
assume that maybe you added to the problem. I say this only to prove a useless point, and that is, don't over-
think it to the detriment of the "system". If I had one of those, I would also ASSUME that it was leaky, because
that has been my impression of these since I saw the first one.

In the long run I think you will not regret weather-stripping it, I just point that out because like I said,
"Why did you do it?" I think time will balance things out, but remember, by it's very nature that
humidor is not going to EVER be balanced, it's a tower. Cigars that smoke better dry can go on top,
the stovepipe draws can go in the bottom. You will find what works best as time goes by.

And I forgot what the other thing was, haha.

Great point about weather stripping. My humidor was leaking from one side. I didn't think to mention it since he had already done his. Thanks

Altra
05-01-2011, 10:29 AM
Ok so far I'm right on track with what you are doing. Beads will arrive this week and I will leave them out till the end of the week or next.

I just thought it odd the humidity was lower at the top, thought it would be higher there. Just me thinking, not really a issue.

I'm in no hurry and plan on the long wait. I am sure it will balance but wasn't sure if beads should wait. Glad I asked :)

Shawn

Altra
05-01-2011, 10:31 AM
Why did you do it?"

Just heard these things usually have minor leaks so I chose to put some on now. Didn't really see and areas that may be leaking but like I said i'm anal. Nothing more to that really & like you said probably a good thing in the end.

Shawn

Altra
05-01-2011, 10:34 AM
Also thanks to both of you for your input.

Much appreciated.

Shawn

Altra
05-03-2011, 06:32 AM
Well things are slowly starting to even out throughout the humidor. 5 days so far. I removed all but 1 bowl of water 2 days ago and it's been sitting 71 at the bottom and 68 at the top.

I have opened the door multiple times to see if the humidity comes back up and it does. So i'm giving it the rest of the week and will throw the beads in to bring it closer to 65 and add the smokes.

So far so good.

Thanks for listening to my rambling :D

Shawn

pnoon
05-03-2011, 06:42 AM
My :2

When you are ready, I would put the smokes in first and let things re-stabilize - a day or two. The cigars will absorb some moisture and lower the RH in the cabinet. Then I would add the beads.

danreeve
05-03-2011, 06:54 AM
I'm only on day 2 :(

HollywoodQue
05-03-2011, 07:03 AM
I'm only on day 2 :(

Don't feel bad Dan, it took me between 3-4 weeks from sanding, adding lights and fans, ordering the Hydra LG, seasoning, adjustments, adding cigars and beads before I got the levels to where I wanted them.

Don't worry too much if the top levels and lower than the bottom, it's OK.

Once you get if correct after a little trial and error, it will be care free.

Enjoy the fun.:tu

danreeve
05-03-2011, 07:11 AM
thanks for the advice. I have 5 bowls of distilled water in it (and a small cigar oasis just for the fan, I removed the green foam from the bottom of it) and after 2 days the top is reading 63 and the bottom is reading 68. But I haven't tested the bottom meter in a long time so I'm pretty sure it's off.

I figure I'd wait 7 days, then order my beads (that forces me to wait for them to arrive and keep seasoning) Then add my beads and cigars. :)

then do some dancing. But there will be no video or pictures of that.

Dan

HollywoodQue
05-03-2011, 07:41 AM
thanks for the advice. I have 5 bowls of distilled water in it (and a small cigar oasis just for the fan, I removed the green foam from the bottom of it) and after 2 days the top is reading 63 and the bottom is reading 68. But I haven't tested the bottom meter in a long time so I'm pretty sure it's off.

I figure I'd wait 7 days, then order my beads (that forces me to wait for them to arrive and keep seasoning) Then add my beads and cigars. :)

then do some dancing. But there will be no video or pictures of that.

Dan

That's exactly what I did with an old Oasis, but I added distilled water to it also for extra humidity and to cut down the seasoning time, did this for about a week. Be aware that when you add your cigars, the levels will change as they adjust to your humidor. Don't panic!!! Wait a few days, then add the beads.....wait a few more days, then adjust your humidifier.

Altra
05-03-2011, 10:38 AM
My :2

When you are ready, I would put the smokes in first and let things re-stabilize - a day or two. The cigars will absorb some moisture and lower the RH in the cabinet. Then I would add the beads.

Roger that Peter.

Thanks for the advice.

Shawn

Altra
05-04-2011, 07:47 AM
Funny how you change things so quickly. My rope light which is just a 2ft section is way to hot in the upper portion of the cabinet. Temps sitting at 75f even with the a/c on.

So I went out and got a 18 inch LED slim light for the top. This should lower the temp some. On the plus side I will be able to run the cord easier through the shelves. Just hope the bright white light looks ok.

Anyway, I will post up the difference when I am finished.

As always thanks for listening.

Shawn

Altra
05-04-2011, 08:37 AM
Sorry for the crappy pics, so damn hard getting the lighting to show up right.

Before - yellow dim light only on the top section.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v102/altramagnus/S1051011.jpg

After - Bright white light that shines down through multiple levels.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v102/altramagnus/IMG_20110504_101133.jpg

Shawn

danreeve
05-04-2011, 01:14 PM
looking good! I might get one of those battery powered LED bars to stick at the top of mine. But.. I'm not opening the door for another 4 days :p

Dan

N2 GOLD
05-04-2011, 01:52 PM
Nice looking unit... :tu

Altra
05-04-2011, 02:31 PM
looking good! I might get one of those battery powered LED bars to stick at the top of mine. But.. I'm not opening the door for another 4 days :p

Dan

I heard the batteries won't last very long on those. I picked up a 18 inch 3 LED light from depot for 50 bucks. Just fits across the top and the plug is thin so it fit down behind all the shelves. Plus I leave the light on so.

Wish I could show you guys how it really looks in person. Oh those boxes are empties of course to help season the thing.

Shawn

danreeve
05-04-2011, 08:35 PM
I heard the batteries won't last very long on those. I picked up a 18 inch 3 LED light from depot for 50 bucks. Just fits across the top and the plug is thin so it fit down behind all the shelves. Plus I leave the light on so.

Wish I could show you guys how it really looks in person. Oh those boxes are empties of course to help season the thing.

Shawn

mine does not have a power plug in it so unless it's a ribbon power cord I think I'm kinda stuck with battery powered lights.

both top and bottom now reading 66%

Dan

Altra
05-06-2011, 03:10 PM
mine does not have a power plug in it so unless it's a ribbon power cord I think I'm kinda stuck with battery powered lights.

both top and bottom now reading 66%

Dan

Sorry for the late reply bro, that does suck there is no power outlet in there. Wonder how difficult it would be to add one.

Update, so far the humidity is 65 at the top and 70 on the bottom. Holds steady at that for days and if I open the door it recovers within 5-10mins. Not bad I think for no beads or cigars in it yet. 8 and a 1/2 days so far seasoning, 2 more days and I will add the cigars.

Damn beads won't be here till Tuesday, longer then I figured it would take but that just made this impatient guy season longer. A good thing :r

Picked up all the hardware and mounted my 3 120mm fans to the side walls. Looks much better now they are not just laying around.

Shawn

danreeve
05-06-2011, 08:41 PM
Now your going to make me wait ten 10 days of just seasoning before adding my sticks. I was just going to do 7. :p

Dan

Altra
05-07-2011, 04:31 AM
Now your going to make me wait ten 10 days of just seasoning before adding my sticks. I was just going to do 7. :p

Dan

LOL blame it on my beads taking so long to get here, not me.:D Trust me bro driving me just as crazy waiting.

But once smokes are inside it will just drive me crazy waiting to fill it up. I guess it never ends does it.

Oh what fun:banger

Shawn

danreeve
05-10-2011, 08:04 PM
So I'm on day 9 of seasoning. I have not opened the door since day one and I have 7 small bowls of distilled water sitting in it plus a cigar oasis just for the fan. It's at 71% now (top and bottom) and has been raising 1% a day for the last 3 days. Should I continue to wait until it gets to steady percentage and stays at it for a few days even if it continues to go up a bit? Or am I close to done?

thanks for any advice.

CigarNut
05-10-2011, 09:17 PM
I would take out the water bowls and see if the humidor will maintain a steady state for a few days.

Altra
05-11-2011, 01:46 AM
I would take out the water bowls and see if the humidor will maintain a steady state for a few days.

What he said:tu

Smokes are in mine now and all has been good. I removed my bowls at 5 days. R/H remained stable with just the Hydra. Waited another 5 then added sticks. Now after 2 days added beads last night.

I'd say you are good to remove the bowls, give it a day to see if it stays and if it does add your sticks.

Shawn

danreeve
05-11-2011, 06:49 AM
thanks guys. bowls coming out tonight.

Dan