PDA

View Full Version : Tatuaje Petite Cazadores Reserva...

MarkinAZ
04-29-2011, 05:49 PM
Recently, I completed a review on the punk rocking vitola, the Havana VI Verocu #5. This review is on its big brother, the Tatuaje Petite Cazadores Reserva…

Brand/Name: Tatuaje Petite Cazadores Reserva
Shape: Perlas
Size: 4 x 40
Wrapper: Connecticut Broadleaf USA
Binder: Nicaragua
Filler: Nicaragua
Price: $4.99 @ Valencia News & Cigars, Valencia, CA
Drink: H2O (although a Stone Brewery Arrogant Bastard Ale would have been more appropriate this afternoon, but I still have to pick up my daughter from school)

Appearance/Construction: This is an attractive vitola featuring a dark brown wrapper that is slightly oily and gritty to the touch. Some veins are noticed from foot to head, appears to be well constructed, and firm throughout. Instead of an even cut at the foot, a flap of the wrapper covers here, with a nice Cuban triple-cap at the head. Thank goodness for nimble fingers! There are no bumps or markings noticed on this vitola.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/markinca1953/Pictures004-9.jpg

Flavor/Taste/Aroma: Rotating and passing the foot back and forth under my nose revealed a pre-light aroma of sweet cocoa and spice that tingles the nose and a firm draw with wood/earth taste are noted. Once ignited, there is flavorable smoke that comes forth from start to finish of sweet spice and cocoa. At times, it was simply sweetness in the air with no descriptive adjectives. Pleasant! The first third exhibits sweet toasted wood and earth in front with hints of spice in the background, and faint spice and cocoa through the nose. The flavors and taste are smooth on a lite to medium finish. It appears mild to medium in body while pushing medium body at this point. Sweet wood/earth and a slight sweet cocoa flavor are present as we transition to the second third:

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/markinca1953/Pictures007-4.jpg

Stepping through the doorway and standing in the threshold of the second third, I encounter smooth sweet earth and cocoa with maybe a hint of caramel on the palate, and providing a medium long finish. Spice is returning through the nose. At this point, I’m enjoying a relaxing and smooth smoking experience. There is complex wood/earth/cocoa blasts in nano-seconds noticed, with what appears to be slight hints of cedar in the background as we approach the end of the second third. This vitola is still providing very smooth flavors and what appears to be a solid medium body:

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/markinca1953/Pictures009-1.jpg

The final third moves along but does a total 180 with smooth and slightly sweet cocoa/earth/cedar flavors to conclusion. This was very enjoyable as the smoke kept flip-flopping these 3 flavor profiles on a medium finish and solid medium body.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/markinca1953/Pictures010-2.jpg

Smoking Characteristics: Pre-light draw was firm and opened slightly during the duration of my smoke. There was no harshness or bitterness noted following each puff. This vitola lasted me a total of 62 minutes from start to finish. The burn itself was slow to medium and did not extinguish itself until the nub stage. A small re-light was needed which enabled a few more minutes of enjoyment. From start to finish, I enjoyed an even burn and whitish ash. No problemo!

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/markinca1953/Pictures012-4.jpg

Conclusion/Overall Impression: The TPCR is an enjoyable vitola. It’s mild to medium body in the beginning and solid medium body to the end. A 62 minute smoke which gave me the opportunity to experience the wrapper and blend of this vitola, with plenty of flavorable smooth smoke on the palate and through the nose. Complex flavors were noted in the second and final third and were great. A handful of these fine little smokes are recommended for your humidor. Hope you enjoyed the review and thank you for taking the time to read.

Appearance/Construction: 13/15
Flavor/Taste/Aroma: 21/25
Smoking Characteristics: 23/25
Conclusion/Overall Impression: 31/35

Final note: If you enjoy a smooth, flavorable, and complex smoke, then the TPCR is right up your alley. For myself, I prefer something with a bit more distinct edge to it, and the punk rocking Verocu #5 is the one that catches my fancy and taste profile. Of course, both violas’ will be enjoyed by yours truly in future sessions. Count on it!

Remo
04-29-2011, 05:52 PM
Great review Mark, thanks for the heads up on both :tu

N2 GOLD
04-29-2011, 06:25 PM
Real good review thanks.... :tu

thecatch83
04-29-2011, 06:40 PM
Interesting you rated the Cazadores two points lower than the Havana VI......I feel the brown label is superior across the board (flavor, complexity, construction, burn, etc.). Be that as it may, great review!

Ratters
04-29-2011, 07:16 PM
I like both smokes, but yeah, prefer the Verocu #5. I actually prefer the red label across the board. I just find the flavors more pleasing.

Salvelinus
05-02-2011, 02:14 PM
I also like them both, but personally I choose the PCr over the verocu. Nice reviews.

xlc12rf
05-02-2011, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the review. I finally picked up a 5er of the PEtite Cazadores Reserva. Looking forward to giving it a try. In general, I love the reserva line.

jesseboston81
05-02-2011, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the comparison reviews. I love both of these, and I'm hoping to grab some of each on my next purchase.

SteveH
05-02-2011, 07:03 PM
Thanks again Mark :D

MarkinAZ
05-02-2011, 08:28 PM
Thanks to all for the comments:tu

RevSmoke
05-02-2011, 09:30 PM
Thanks for a great review, Mark. Given what you wrote, and what I know from personal experience of the #5, I think this is going to be a good smoke for my palate. So, I must also say that I now hate your guts, for I feel the urge and the need to get some more cigars that I presently have not had.

Thanks for nuttin'.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

TBone
05-02-2011, 09:35 PM
Helluva review Mark, thank you