PDA

View Full Version : Project of the Day : New Computer

shilala
04-25-2011, 11:19 AM
I started building a new computer for myself a couple days ago. We've been super busy with the holiday and appointments and my "building shelves in the garage" project and stuff, so I've only gotten to beat on this thing for an hour here, an hour there.

At this point, I've jammed most of the components in her. Some of the brothers here were a big help picking out components, my shopping list is right here (http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=15951412).
Basically, it's a six core AMD, 9.8TB, 16GB RAM, dual PSU monster in the sweetest full tower aluminum chassis I've ever seen. If I can't take over the world with this rig, it can't be taken over. Period.

Right now I'm daisy-chaining the two Corsair 650 watt PSU's together. The tower is too high to use a splice kit that's offered around the net, so I'm doing it by hand, soldering and heat shrinking all my wires. As soon as that's done, I can plug stuff together and see if she'll post.
If she does, then I'll spend hours managing the wires and making them look like something.

I had to take one of the 290mm fans out so the case would accept the second psu, which I'm not happy about, but it was overkill anyways. I may look at modding the case to get it back in there.

Anyways, here's a lousy pic of where I'm at right now. I'll post some decent ones when I get done-ish. :tu

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad96/scottshilala/a6744d74.jpg

shilala
04-25-2011, 02:23 PM
My wiring job worked, and admittedly, I was shocked. I just guessed at how to tie the two psu's together based on a picture of a jumper cable I saw online.
I'm trying to load an operating system on what might be a flaky hard drive right now. I guessed it wasn't really flaky because I found it's sata cable was broke.
Enough blah, I was just checking in and taking a break before I went nuts.

elderboy02
04-25-2011, 02:32 PM
Ha ha. This is gonna be awesome! :tu

BTcigars
04-25-2011, 02:33 PM
Now thats a puter! What are you going to use it for? Engineering? Model simulations?

J0eybb
04-25-2011, 02:34 PM
Thats a lot of wires

shilala
04-25-2011, 02:38 PM
What are you going to use it for?
The same thing I do every day, Pinky. :tu

J0eybb
04-25-2011, 02:47 PM
Post on CA

shilala
04-25-2011, 03:20 PM
Post on CA
Exactly. :tu

J0eybb
04-25-2011, 03:28 PM
I'm not sure why a man needs 6 hdds, but I'll never question him about it.

shilala
04-25-2011, 03:39 PM
I'm not sure why a man needs 6 hdds, but I'll never question him about it.
If you're serving media to the whole house, storing video, music, pics, etc, it takes no time at all to load up 10TB. This bluray thing makes it even worse.
What is probably the biggest space waster is having the movies, then the divx files (so you can get lots of movies on a single dvd), then the same movie in mp4 format for ipods and the like.
So there's a real simple, everyday reason why a guy would use 6 hdd's. There's lots of others, such as editing large raw hdr files, any kind of video production at all, blah, blah, blah.
I can probably tell you I was a lot happier with a newpaper, cup of coffee, and a cigarette. Times change, though. :sh

CoreyD
04-25-2011, 03:57 PM
Don't forget room for the huge a.. coolent driven graphics card for gaming.
Looks great though. Does it glow?

Smokin Gator
04-25-2011, 04:01 PM
I can probably tell you I was a lot happier with a newpaper, cup of coffee, and a cigarette. Times change, though. :sh

:r:r:r

Now that is funny... I feel your pain brother!!

shilala
04-25-2011, 04:06 PM
Don't forget room for the huge a.. coolent driven graphics card for gaming.
Looks great though. Does it glow?
Nope. I'm too old for blue lights and OC'ing anymore. I certainly don't have time for COD anymore, either. That's good though, I'd rather build stuff in the shop and get hurt and things like that. It's way more fun. :tu

BTcigars
04-25-2011, 05:31 PM
The same thing I do every day, Pinky. :tu

That post is a total win!:r

shilala
04-25-2011, 06:18 PM
It's giving me a headache installing my OS. Halts after loading files and giving me the starting up message. I'm tired and ready to hit the sack soon. I've tried lots of options insisting it can't possibly be a bad install disc, but that may be the case. I have a few onboard video bios options I can still try, but it ain't going anywhere. I'll get her tomorrow. :tu

lostark374
04-25-2011, 06:47 PM
make sure you have the latest bios flashed to your mainboard and try stripping it to the bare essentials and install the os then add all the other drives and cards and such.

lostark374
04-25-2011, 06:53 PM
also if its your install disc you can download a new one since you own a key.

RGD.
04-25-2011, 06:55 PM
make sure you have the latest bios flashed to your mainboard and try stripping it to the bare essentials and install the os then add all the other drives and cards and such.

Yep - I would disconnect all of the hard drives, except your main "c" drive. Reconnect them after the OS is installed.

Ron

swh127
04-25-2011, 07:53 PM
If you have any issues, try the forums over at Tom's hardware (http://www.tomshardware.com). They have a great site devoted to build your own pc's

JE3146
04-25-2011, 07:54 PM
If you're serving media to the whole house, storing video, music, pics, etc, it takes no time at all to load up 10TB. This bluray thing makes it even worse.
What is probably the biggest space waster is having the movies, then the divx files (so you can get lots of movies on a single dvd), then the same movie in mp4 format for ipods and the like.
So there's a real simple, everyday reason why a guy would use 6 hdd's. There's lots of others, such as editing large raw hdr files, any kind of video production at all, blah, blah, blah.

I have 14TB on my HTPC... a friend of mine has 26TB on his central media server.

To add to what you said.... You run out of space real quick with blu-rays backups for XBMC, tv shows on RSS feed and FLAC audio.

As it stands I literally have less than half a TB left of space.

Interesting choice with the dual PSU setup :)

shilala
04-25-2011, 08:12 PM
Fixed it. I used the fourth onboard video setting, got some artifacting on my old lcd monitor, hit the auto settings button on the monitor, and there ya go.
It never gets old, does it, boys? :r

shilala
04-25-2011, 08:20 PM
Interesting choice with the dual PSU setup :)
With the mobo and the six core on the one psu and all the peripherals on the other, neither psu will ever even get warm.
It makes a lot more sense than a single 1000w or 1500w psu, and the price is right. It may not be a straight out of the box solution, but everything lasts longer. It's worth a little messing around and soldering.
Another thing it's good for is that there's tons of connectors. It makes wire management easier and makes a much cleaner job when it's done.
If I decide to go to xfire later, it's not a problem, either. It just leaves tons of expandability.
The only reason I haven't done it in the past is because of the lack of dual psu compatible cases on the market. The stuff that's out there now is simply awesome and never-ending. I could sure waste tons of money. :D

jmsremax
04-25-2011, 08:31 PM
Damn.....nice setup. I dont think Ive ever seen a PC with dual psus.

BlindedByScience
04-25-2011, 09:02 PM
Looks like a great system, but I've got to tell you, after many years at the custom PC game, I don't even start to load an OS on the system until I get some basic reliability testing done.

If I were you, I'd download and burn a copy of the Ultimate Boot CD. (http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/) It's free, and it will make you a bootable CD for your new system. Before I even go for an OS load, I run a minimum of:

- Memtest86+, for at least 12 and usually 24 hours. At the end of the run, "No Errors" is the only acceptable answer.
- The manufacturer's "long" diagnostic on every hard drive in the system....twice. Again, "No Errors" is the only acceptable answer.

The UBCD has lots of other burn in tests that a guy can run, but those two are my "golden minimum". I can't tell you how many hours I've saved by those two simple steps....my :2

Good luck and have fun - N.F.H.

Apoco
04-26-2011, 06:06 AM
That is some sexy technology :dr
Posted via Mobile Device

shilala
04-26-2011, 10:02 AM
Looks like a great system, but I've got to tell you, after many years at the custom PC game, I don't even start to load an OS on the system until I get some basic reliability testing done.

If I were you, I'd download and burn a copy of the Ultimate Boot CD. (http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/) It's free, and it will make you a bootable CD for your new system. Before I even go for an OS load, I run a minimum of:

- Memtest86+, for at least 12 and usually 24 hours. At the end of the run, "No Errors" is the only acceptable answer.
- The manufacturer's "long" diagnostic on every hard drive in the system....twice. Again, "No Errors" is the only acceptable answer.

The UBCD has lots of other burn in tests that a guy can run, but those two are my "golden minimum". I can't tell you how many hours I've saved by those two simple steps....my :2

Good luck and have fun - N.F.H.
I used to use the Ultimate Boot, I'm surprised it's still around. I know lots of guys swore by it. It never cost me anything but time, and I've long since abandoned it (prior to 05, iirc).
If I was building a whole rack of rigs, it'd probably appeal to me more. I know I built a lot of Barton rigs when I was using it, and there was a specific reason I used it, maybe it had to do with that core?
Anymore I'd just as soon get windows in, get all my components in, then run tests. That way "real world" problems will show up, too.

I quit doing this stuff for lots of years. This build is reminding me why. :D
My wife used to build computers way back when, and when I was telling her about all the goofy problems I had so far she said "that's why I'd just as soon buy a factory box".

I got seven years out of my last build until I decided to upgrade, and it'll last a lot more years once I clean it up and shake it down. It'll still be reasonably tight, and a good, stable, powerful rig. This one will likely remain problem free for a good ten years without me thinking of an upgrade. I think that's worth the trouble. :tu

shilala
04-26-2011, 10:06 AM
I should say, I went up to 11TB of storage, thanks to Jordan. I had a couple 1.5TB platters, and decided to use them.
I just partitioned a boot sector and I'll just be happy with that.
I'll see how it plays, and if I don't like it, I'll switch to a 300GB boot drive.

Windows is loading, so it won't be long till I can take this thing for a spin around the block. :tu

RevSmoke
04-26-2011, 11:38 AM
A fire-breathing dragon there, ouch! Never tried such a thing, putting my own together. Don't even want to try.

You are a much braver man than I.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

shilala
04-26-2011, 12:06 PM
Don't be afraid, Todd. The toughest part is buying the right pieces. That's maddening. After that it's easy. :r

Eleven
04-26-2011, 12:16 PM
A fire-breathing dragon there, ouch! Never tried such a thing, putting my own together. Don't even want to try.

You are a much braver man than I.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

Putting together your own PC is one thing, what he is doing is NOT indicative of just 'building a pc'.

:)

Bill86
04-26-2011, 12:41 PM
Yeah Scott just went all out :r

It's much better to build your own PC. It's almost VERY self explanatory. You'll either save lots of $$$ or have a twice if not three times as good PC by doing it yourself.

Coming along nice Scott :tu

Glad you like the tower.

J0eybb
04-26-2011, 12:42 PM
Yeah Scott just went all out :r

It's much better to build your own PC. It's almost VERY self explanatory. You'll either save lots of $$$ or have a twice if not three times as good PC by doing it yourself.

Glad you like the tower.

Or you have a giant paper weight

shilala
04-26-2011, 01:12 PM
Welp, Windows files on that 1.5TB EcoDrive have been expanding for 3 hours and are only at 79%. I'm not happy with that, so it's coming out.
I'm going to format this 300GB I have and use it for my boot. I'll format it and change the volume from dynamic to basic on this machine, then swap it out. Odds are, I'll be looking at the same thing, though.
Without the proper ide controller drivers in there, it may just be the speed I'm gonna be looking at until I get that done.
I'm glad I talked that out. lol
I'll get that 300GB ready and just let the install finish up on the new rig. Once I get the new drivers in, I'll see if I can live with 1.5TB as my boot. Doesn't look good, but I suppose it's best to wait it out and go from there, right?

shilala
04-26-2011, 01:21 PM

Glad you like the tower.
I absolutely love it, Bill. I'm so glad you pointed them out. I'd have probably bought Antec or Lian Li, otherwise. I could not be more pleased with this case. The only way it could be any better is if there was another 3/4" behind the slide-out mobo tray to chase wires. Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of room back there (which is brilliant thinking on their part), but another inch would allow a guy to mod it real heavy and do all kinds of wacky sh1t.
As is, I give it at least a 10/10. :D

shilala
04-27-2011, 10:56 AM
Got her all running, OS loaded, drivers in, it's doing great. Just finished up wire management, what a pain.
Now I have to move it to my desk. That'll be awful.
Anyways, a couple pics till I can get good "done" shots...

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad96/scottshilala/99f3cdf0.jpg

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad96/scottshilala/1a757ec6.jpg

Apoco
04-27-2011, 11:37 AM
Got her all running, OS loaded, drivers in, it's doing great. Just finished up wire management, what a pain.
Now I have to move it to my desk. That'll be awful.
Anyways, a couple pics till I can get good "done" shots...

image1

image2

Jeeeeeez! That thing is bigger than some of my friends' apartments!

And well done with the cabling. It always makes me sad to see a custom built PC with cables everywhere to where it looks like the computer vomitted in itself.
Posted via Mobile Device

shilala
04-27-2011, 05:02 PM
Thanks Alex. I've seen some rigs that kids built that are amazingly awful. They used to have "ugliest computer" contests at anandtech.com, and some of the stuff was truly scary. :D

I got the new rig to my desk and it's all hooked up. Now it's just all software and getting stuff to work right. I'm tweaking and she'll run at 4.0ghz easy, all six cores. That's insane.
I can't get all my monitors to work yet. They'd probably start working faster if I actually tried to fix it. I'm too busy updating drivers and utilities to bother with it just yet.

shilala
05-12-2011, 10:20 AM
I finally finished the new build today.
I wanted to run three monitors and I had a shortage of analog outs, so I went and got a new 23" widescreen samsung that was on closeout. It was that or add another video card, and that would have cost just as much.
So the whole deal is done. <balloons and a parade>
As soon as I clean up the pigsty that is my desk, I'll post some proper pics.
I still don't have Photoshop loaded on here either, so that's another problem.
I'll eventually have my rig reloaded with all my software, I just haven't been working here much. I'm sure it'll wait till I get back. :D

One other thing...
Surprisingly, I'm enjoying Windows 7 Professional. It just plain works. No muss, no fuss. I was worried I'd want to go back to XP, but it hadn't even crossed my mind till now. Lisa has been using 7 for quite awhile, if I can't find something I ask her. She's been a big help.

I may have a few more kinks to wrangle out. I need to get the Spyder out and calibrate my monitors, and I need to get a new non-kidproof plugbar/surge protector. The one I have is ridiculous. Aside from that, all is well.
Thanks again for everyone's input!!! :tu

Apoco
05-12-2011, 10:53 AM
I finally finished the new build today.
I wanted to run three monitors and I had a shortage of analog outs, so I went and got a new 23" widescreen samsung that was on closeout. It was that or add another video card, and that would have cost just as much.
So the whole deal is done. <balloons and a parade>
As soon as I clean up the pigsty that is my desk, I'll post some proper pics.
I still don't have Photoshop loaded on here either, so that's another problem.
I'll eventually have my rig reloaded with all my software, I just haven't been working here much. I'm sure it'll wait till I get back. :D

One other thing...
Surprisingly, I'm enjoying Windows 7 Professional. It just plain works. No muss, no fuss. I was worried I'd want to go back to XP, but it hadn't even crossed my mind till now. Lisa has been using 7 for quite awhile, if I can't find something I ask her. She's been a big help.

I may have a few more kinks to wrangle out. I need to get the Spyder out and calibrate my monitors, and I need to get a new non-kidproof plugbar/surge protector. The one I have is ridiculous. Aside from that, all is well.
Thanks again for everyone's input!!! :tu

:tu

Sounds fantastic! And Windows7 is freaking awesome. With professional you can always run a program in XP compatability as well. That has saved my hide on a couple of old games.
Posted via Mobile Device

shilala
05-18-2011, 09:50 AM
I just backed up one of my movies.
With the dual burner setup, it took 13:02 to read/burn, start to finish. If I get another LG, that'll come down to around 10 minutes. I'm shocked, to say the least. :D

simplechords
05-18-2011, 02:34 PM
I have 14TB on my HTPC... a friend of mine has 26TB on his central media server.

To add to what you said.... You run out of space real quick with blu-rays backups for XBMC, tv shows on RSS feed and FLAC audio.

As it stands I literally have less than half a TB left of space.

XBMC + sickbeard FTW!

I work for a computer company that builds media server ( crazy expensive stuff). I biggest server is a 16bay 3u 32TB

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/simplechords/IMG_2137.jpg

mfarre03
05-18-2011, 03:05 PM
With the mobo and the six core on the one psu and all the peripherals on the other, neither psu will ever even get warm.
It makes a lot more sense than a single 1000w or 1500w psu, and the price is right. It may not be a straight out of the box solution, but everything lasts longer. It's worth a little messing around and soldering.
Another thing it's good for is that there's tons of connectors. It makes wire management easier and makes a much cleaner job when it's done.
If I decide to go to xfire later, it's not a problem, either. It just leaves tons of expandability.
The only reason I haven't done it in the past is because of the lack of dual psu compatible cases on the market. The stuff that's out there now is simply awesome and never-ending. I could sure waste tons of money. :D

Really awesome rig :banger Never thought to run dual PSU's, now you have me thinking, LOL. I havn't upgraded my system in a couple years and I'm getting all itchy to do it again. Love how clean your install looks, nice and well thought out. The last PSU I purchased was one that had modular connections that you could unplug from the PSU if you weren't using them. This was a great idea that only lasted until the first time I turned it on, lol. Took out the vid card and optical drives, wth. I agree with windows 7, just an awesome OS, havn't had any problems in the last few months. I'm always afraid of a new OS ending up like Millennium or Vista, lol.

shilala
06-23-2011, 03:35 PM
I ordered another blue-ray burner to replace the dvd burner I had put in it. That one was just laying around, we'd used it to try to fix an old Dell.
It's been flaky since day one, so I finally just bit the bullet and ordered the right burner. It matches and it'll look a lot better, too. Now I just need to find two minutes to get it installed.
I almost bought another vga card to go xfire, but stomped that idea pretty quick. :D

shilala
02-03-2012, 01:36 PM
I just got this pig all ironed out.
The Dominator RAM did not work with the ASUS mobo, caused me all sorts of grief. I just switched it out to Kingston stuff and the system recognizes all 16gb of RAM (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002K23V1Q/ref=oh_o02_s00_i01_details).

I also got a 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005C95NDI/ref=oh_o02_s00_i00_details). It absolutely screams. Bill(86) turned me onto it, he was right on the money.
It was a royal pita to install. The bundled Acronis bootable software didn't work at all, kept hanging time and time again. Finally I decided to clone my old primary hdd through windows with a free utility called Macrium Reflect. It was free and worked perfectly the very first time right in Windows.
I swapped out the drives and Bam!!! Problems solved.
I went from a 5.5 windows experience index to a 7.7.

Now I have to plug in all my other drives, button her up, and rock out.
That only took 10 months to finish, not bad. I got the computer done quicker than my deck. It'll be another 8 months or so before that's done. :lr

Bill86
02-03-2012, 01:50 PM
:tu :tu

I love Acronis software, it's a bit complicated at times but it can do wonders.

Hopefully once you get it all plugged in you'll notice the immediate much faster boot times. I'd have paid the price of admission alone just for that.

shilala
02-03-2012, 05:53 PM
It's snappin' like a fargin firecracker, Bill. :D
It's all back together, drives are reassigned, and everything works perfectly.
I can't get over how fast programs populate and how fast I can snap between webpages. It really shows just how crazy fast our internet is here. 23mbps down and 1mbps up, and it's recognized.

The biggest problem is the size of that drive. It's only 120gb. I already wish I'd have sprung for the 240. I figured I'd have no problem gutting garbage and moving folders to other drives, and I did just that.
The biggest issue? iTunes. It's a bloated redundant pig. I've really got no choice but to gut it and install it on a different drive, it's hogging up almost 60GB of the SSD and I already moved the media files off my boot drive.
I'm minutes away from fixing that issue.

Bill86
02-03-2012, 06:11 PM
Oh yeah with that kinda internet speed you'll definitely be flying all the time :tu

I hear ya. I figure I'm just holding out till prices drop and whatnot. When they are a good price I'll get a 250+ gig.

As of now though it's just much easier to throw files on a spare 1 TB+ HD.

I hate Itunes so much :r

shilala
02-03-2012, 06:14 PM
The hell is, iTunes finally works. :lr

Bill86
02-03-2012, 06:16 PM
:r :tu

backwoods357
02-03-2012, 09:45 PM
Scott, maybe you could create a junction point for the itunes bloat.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_junction_point#Saving_disk_space
If you move the itunes directory to the spinning disks and then create a junction in C: where it was, pointing to the new location you should be able to reclaim your space.

If you do decide to go for a larger SSD, there is a wealth of information in this recent article. http://techreport.com/articles.x/22358/1
And hey it's only 13 pages long. ;)

You have the coolest projects. :tu

jluck
02-03-2012, 10:07 PM
Wow....this thread makes me feel really dumb. I will stick to cigars...:r

mithrilG60
02-03-2012, 11:59 PM

This. I have a pair of 10TB media servers at home and both will soon need extra drives to expand out to 12 or 14.

shilala
02-04-2012, 07:18 AM
Scott, maybe you could create a junction point for the itunes bloat.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_junction_point#Saving_disk_space
If you move the itunes directory to the spinning disks and then create a junction in C: where it was, pointing to the new location you should be able to reclaim your space.

If you do decide to go for a larger SSD, there is a wealth of information in this recent article. http://techreport.com/articles.x/22358/1
And hey it's only 13 pages long. ;)

You have the coolest projects. :tu
The junction point needs to be built into the program, or I'd have to create a subroutine, from what I can see. It does present a cool workaround, but it's WAY over my head.
What I've done is saved file trees and media folders and backups to a different drive. Once I delete itunes, I can drop those folders back in the new instance of itunes on the different drive. That should solve my problem.
Even if itunes burns down, I don't care. I'll start from scratch. I really won't lose anything. :)

backwoods357
02-04-2012, 09:36 AM
It is a feature of NTFS (the filesystem) so really you create it once (using a command in the command line or a utility to run it for you and you are done) and the program sees the data as being in it's original location but it occupies no space on that drive. If you need more info if you pm me the folder location and the path where you want to move the files to I should be able to pm you the cmd to create the junction or you can use this app: http://www.rekenwonder.com/linkmagic.htm
I can't personally vouch for it, I just found it in a quick google. You would need to completely close itunes first, even the crap that runs in the background. Then copy the folder to its new home and delete the contents of the origional. Right click on the app and run as admin then click create. select the original folder on the left and the new folder on the right. Should do the trick.

shilala
02-04-2012, 10:41 AM
I did much like that, Jorgen. I just saved folders, reinstalled on another drive and replaced folders. It all went smoothly, zero issues, and I cleaned up 40gb or so.
I had migrated folders within itunes earlier and the new install recognized them on the new drive, so it went even smoother than I'd planned. :D

I'm right where I want to be, but I still have a boot issue. It's either this ASUS software running cool n quiet and overheating my cpu, or I have a short in one of my rails, or the ram is running at too low a voltage.
It likes to hang in Bios and sometimes booting Windows, but only when she's hot.
I'm building a reef water system right now, so this has got to wait. Usually a little time away puts the answer in my melon. I'll get it ironed out soon. :tu

Bill86
02-04-2012, 10:48 AM
I would just look up CPU fans and just get a really nice CPU fan for $20-$50 bucks or so.

My old fan was like 10 years old. Ridiculously huge fan. Now it sits on my router :r

Keeps that thing nice and cool :D

Just rocking the stock fan now without a problem.

backwoods357
02-04-2012, 11:31 AM
Usually a little time away puts the answer in my melon. I'll get it ironed out soon. :tu
:tpd:

A digital power supply tester can be had for cheap: 1 (http://www.amazon.com/4-pin-Power-Supply-Tester-Connectors/dp/B001MKCALY/ref=sr_1_37?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1328377898&sr=1-37) 2 (http://www.amazon.com/NEW-Digital-Power-Supply-Tester/dp/B006P0W2B4/ref=sr_1_44?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1328377898&sr=1-44) 3 (http://www.amazon.com/Coolmax-Power-Supply-Tester-PS-228/dp/B002R06PGE/ref=sr_1_45?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1328377898&sr=1-45) They are great for diagnosing voltage problems.
If you don't need one long term, I need a digital one and would be willing to buy you out when you are done with it.
Have you run a full memtest from a boot cd? Iso (http://www.memtest.org/download/4.20/memtest86+-4.20.iso.zip) or auto installer for flashdrive (http://www.memtest.org/download/4.20/memtest86+-4.20.usb.installer.zip) This happening on boot intermittently makes me think of power draw from all the HDs spinning up at once. Does it happen without the raid array?
Cool and quiet can be turned off in the bios, also what thermal paste did you use on the processor?

Scothew
02-04-2012, 11:49 AM
Not sure i caught the whole itunes issue, but you can point it to where ever your media is and have it run it there, just go to preferences > advanced. it can be on other drives and such.

shilala
02-04-2012, 11:57 AM
:tpd:

A digital power supply tester can be had for cheap: 1 (http://www.amazon.com/4-pin-Power-Supply-Tester-Connectors/dp/B001MKCALY/ref=sr_1_37?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1328377898&sr=1-37) 2 (http://www.amazon.com/NEW-Digital-Power-Supply-Tester/dp/B006P0W2B4/ref=sr_1_44?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1328377898&sr=1-44) 3 (http://www.amazon.com/Coolmax-Power-Supply-Tester-PS-228/dp/B002R06PGE/ref=sr_1_45?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1328377898&sr=1-45) They are great for diagnosing voltage problems.
If you don't need one long term, I need a digital one and would be willing to buy you out when you are done with it.
Have you run a full memtest from a boot cd? Iso (http://www.memtest.org/download/4.20/memtest86+-4.20.iso.zip) or auto installer for flashdrive (http://www.memtest.org/download/4.20/memtest86+-4.20.usb.installer.zip) This happening on boot intermittently makes me think of power draw from all the HDs spinning up at once. Does it happen without the raid array?
Cool and quiet can be turned off in the bios, also what thermal paste did you use on the processor?
No, I haven't run memtest, great idea. :tu
This ram is supposed to run at 1.5v and I haven't been able to see what it's set at in bios, so I'm not even that far yet.
I think you hit the nail on the head with the hdd's all spinning up at once.
No, I don't think I had issues yesterday with them all unhooked, but I'm not exactly sure. I wasn't focusing on power draw, I was thinking short.
None of my hdd's are in raid. They all stand alone, I just backup one to another. They're just for media. This way I know when one pukes.
I also saw my H drive drop out twice, so I need to isolate and see which that one is and check backwards.
I'll do all that later when I have time.
It's working fine now that it's booted, and I never shut it down, so I can fight it when I have time.
I'll look at those testers, too, brother. Thank You!!! :tu
Oh, and Arctic Silver. Not the cheap one, the expensive one.

backwoods357
02-04-2012, 05:49 PM
If I ever go completely storage nuts I think I will build a rig taking a page from BackBlaze's book.
http://blog.backblaze.com/2011/07/20/petabytes-on-a-budget-v2-0revealing-more-secrets/ 135TB in a 4u server chassis. :noon
http://files.backblaze.com/blog_pics/blog-Vanderbilt-Storage-Pod2.jpg
I wouldn't go for the full 135, I would be more than happy with 24 or 32TB. A few weeks ago I actually came across one of these in a data center. :tu
BTW that pic is one I just grabbed from their blog for illustration.

hammondc
02-04-2012, 06:12 PM
Basically, it's a six core AMD, 9.8TB, 16GB RAM, dual PSU monster in the sweetest full tower aluminum chassis I've ever seen. If I can't take over the world with this rig, it can't be taken over. Period[/IMG]

Dear God....:O

sikk50
02-04-2012, 11:30 PM
I miss your project of the day threads

shilala
02-05-2012, 09:23 AM
They're boring now, Andrew. Yesterday I installed an RODI system with a pre-salterizer that I modified from my old RODI unit. That stuff is for super clean drinking water at the sink and zero ppm water (100% pure) for my salt water tank.
My next project is putting in a whole house water conditioner. I started that last night, I'm gonna take off a material list this morning.
After that, I have to run a bunch of circuits to the garage to finish turning it into a shop. Then I have to finish cabinetry for the shop. Then I'm buying a CNC machine (http://www.shopbottools.com/mProducts/shopbot_buddy.htm) for the shop to build cabinet doors and stuff.
Then the Projects Of The Day will be pumping out like wildfire. :D

shilala
02-05-2012, 09:29 AM
I woke up to my H: Drive dropping out.
I'm copying that drive to an open drive right now. I'll the isolate it and eradicate it.
It's the third time I've seen it drop out. If it's on SATA 3 on my board, I may be able to assume that channel is flaky.
I have time to mess with it this morning. There's almost a TB of crap on that H drive, so it'll take awhile. I think I'll do away with it altogether and heed Jorgen's warning about too much stuff spinning up at once.
I may RMA this drive, it's a new 2TB. I'd like to keep the 2TB's and get rid of the 1-1.5TB I have in there.

backwoods357
02-05-2012, 09:49 AM
Run HD tune on the disk http://www.hdtune.com/files/hdtune_255.exe. Make sure to select the proper disk from the drop down at the top then go to the error scan tab and run a long test. Take a look at the health tab, should give you a good picture of the drives health.

Edit: thinking more about this it may be that you have a single rail on one PS overloaded. I'm not sure about your power supplies but many have 2 or more rails per PS these days.
Edit2: Nope, my stupid. I didn't actually look it up first, that PS has a single 12v rail.

shilala
02-05-2012, 10:13 AM
There's dual 600w psu's daisy chained, Jorgen.
I was real careful to split duty. I moved some stuff around, thinking the same thing you were thinking. Still the same thing.
I'll run a bunch of tests after I safeguard the data. If I had one solid guess right now, it's that the H: drive is on SATA port 3. I think it's the culprit. That's just gut, though. I'll need to be far more systematic to get down to the bottom of this little glitch.