PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else have a lizard problem?

Average Joe
04-24-2011, 10:57 AM
Seems like this year I have a lizard problem. Both a small and big lizard problem. I have corraled 2 that are about 6 inches long in the past two weeks. Just a minute ago I was on the back porch and one about a foot long and about an inch in diamater came right up to me.

Anyone know how to keep them away? I live in a neighborhood so food and water are only a yard away for them.

bobarian
04-24-2011, 11:24 AM
How are they a problem?:sh They are not poisonous and most help keep the insect population down.:banger

Blueface
04-24-2011, 11:26 AM
How are they a problem?:sh They are not poisonous and most help keep the insect population down.:banger

Yup.
In South Florida, they are a regular part of life, along with Iguanas that seem to be multiplying all over.

T.G
04-24-2011, 11:43 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zfz-1I4GD7c

jjirons69
04-24-2011, 11:47 AM
We used to have a cat that would eat them.

I like having the little guys. Keeps the bug count down and they're pretty harmless.

dyieldin
04-24-2011, 12:21 PM
I am in Az and do see a lot more this year, I see 2 in my yard at any given time but do not care as I see no harm from them. They also tend to run away from me and are no bother.

icehog3
04-24-2011, 12:56 PM
I like lizards.

CigarNut
04-24-2011, 12:57 PM
No lizard problems in Portland, OR :)

Average Joe
04-24-2011, 01:15 PM

The lady doesn't like finding them in the house. We leave the windows open when it feels good.

I have no problems with them in the garden. If they keep the insects from my tomatoes and peppers I'm happy.

markem
04-24-2011, 01:20 PM
The lady doesn't like finding them in the house. We leave the windows open when it feels good.

They make these things called window screens. Might be worth some investigation. :tu

Bill86
04-24-2011, 01:20 PM
Get some screens for the windows? Or a cat. Cats eat lizards or at least decapitate them and play with their corpse.

hotreds
04-24-2011, 02:03 PM
They make these things called window screens. Might be worth some investigation. :tu

:r

GoodFella
04-24-2011, 03:09 PM

i like them around also. i have seen more this year also.

MiamiE
04-24-2011, 03:30 PM
What kind of lizards? Anoles? Any lizard is good. The small ones eat the roaches and flys and the bigger ones take out squirrels and rats!

bobarian
04-24-2011, 03:43 PM
In Hawaii, a lizard in the house is considered good luck. :banger

CoreyD
04-24-2011, 04:47 PM
If you help gas $$ I could come with a cage and grab 2-3 lizards at your house for pets for my son up here, no lizards up here.I could even drop a few off to Tom on the way.

icehog3
04-24-2011, 11:16 PM
If you help gas $$ I could come with a cage and grab 2-3 lizards at your house for pets for my son up here, no lizards up here.I could even drop a few off to Tom on the way.

Thanks Corey! :tu

emopunker2004
04-25-2011, 12:16 AM
my grandmother's yard used to get them bad. whenever i would mow her yard she told me to run em over when i saw them:bx

icehog3
04-25-2011, 12:19 AM
my grandmother's yard used to get them bad. whenever i would mow her yard she told me to run em over when i saw them:bx

Lizard murderer. :(

CoreyD
04-25-2011, 12:46 AM
I really don't see how sitting out in the yard or walking around and seeing lizards is a bad thing, I mean I always liked it when I was in places that had lizards walking around. Now if you lived in Indonesia and they were those huge ferocious lizards then I'd be worried.

emopunker2004
04-25-2011, 12:54 AM
Lizard murderer. :(

Tom, they were literally taking over the yard. Haven't done that in a long time. I didn't say i did it all the time. I didn't get many of them

CoreyD
04-25-2011, 12:59 AM
Reminds me of taking a basketball on anthills at my moms house as a kid. Doing a bombing run...

emopunker2004
04-25-2011, 01:03 AM
lol. we used to step on em and make the ants run around then spray em all with Raid

Wanger
04-25-2011, 06:31 AM
I really don't see how sitting out in the yard or walking around and seeing lizards is a bad thing, I mean I always liked it when I was in places that had lizards walking around. Now if you lived in Indonesia and they were those huge ferocious lizards then I'd be worried.

Monitor lizards are a whole different story. LOL

And unfortunately, due to plenty of idjits, they are being released into the Everglades in FL, and doing some serious damage to native populations there. They will raid gator nests and eat the eggs. Not to mention all the pythons and boas that are being released down there, as well. They get sold as pets, and when the people get tired of them, or they get too big, they get released, because the zoos won't take them. They buy them when they're small, and think "Awesome!" but don't think about how they're going to handle them once they get past 8ft long and such.

OLS
04-25-2011, 07:05 AM
6 inches is long for a Green Anole, and a foot long is definitely outside the range. So I am thinking gecko,
or iguana. You don't get a lot of lizard action of that length in Alabammie. As they say this thread is useless
without pics.

As for the northerners who were saying they had no lizards, my cousin from Flint MI used to come down
for family reunions about every five years, and would absolutely freak out over the Anoles. He would
always take a half dozen or so back to MI in a milk carton, I recall.

massphatness
04-25-2011, 07:08 AM
I have no lizard problem. Grace, on the other hand, has a lizard problem. I think she was hoping to find a bigger one.

Skywalker
04-25-2011, 07:19 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zfz-1I4GD7c

I like lizards.

I have no lizard problem. Grace, on the other hand, has a lizard problem. I think she was hoping to find a bigger one.

:r:r:r

taltos
04-25-2011, 07:26 AM
lol. we used to step on em and make the ants run around then spray em all with RaidWe used to flood the ant nests and then use a propane torch on them as they ran out.:D

thebayratt
04-25-2011, 08:12 AM
I have three types in my yard. Newts, lizards, and geckos.... I dont mind then one bit around my house. Ive been here for four years and I haven't seen a roach or bug yet in the house.

awsmith4
04-25-2011, 08:21 AM

I can't beleive it took 25 posts before this comment appeared, I was fighting to not make the joke as soon as I saw the title! :r

Oh and on topic, I like lizards around. We have been thinking about getting a bearded dragon for my son.

markem
04-25-2011, 08:30 AM
I can't beleive it took 25 posts before this comment appeared, I was fighting to not make the joke as soon as I saw the title! :r

http://www.avodart.com/images/avodart-logo.jpg

awsmith4
04-25-2011, 08:44 AM

http://www.avodart.com/images/avodart-logo.jpg

:lr

rizzle
04-25-2011, 09:32 AM
Problem? Nah. Does seem like the population is on the comeback after the freeze from two winters ago, though. Almost killed all the little bastiges off. Fortunately, the iguanas haven't made it this far...yet.

icehog3
04-25-2011, 09:50 AM
Tom, they were literally taking over the yard. Haven't done that in a long time. I didn't say i did it all the time. I didn't get many of them

You must atone by breeding them, and running a Lizard Farm, Justin. :)

I literally laughed out loud, Vin. :D

massphatness
04-25-2011, 10:08 AM
I literally laughed out loud, Vin. :D

That's right, laugh at the guy with the small penis. My mother smoked throughout her pregnancy. I blame it on that.

icehog3
04-25-2011, 10:10 AM
That's right, laugh at the guy with the small penis. My mother smoked throughout her pregnancy. I blame it on that.

My Mom smoked, drank, and asked the doctor to give me "extra" circumcision. ;)