PDA

View Full Version : Responsibility to Central America.

LostAbbott
04-22-2011, 10:47 AM
The other day I did a little reading on some of the problems going on in Central America, namely many of the Governments are failing (cannot provide basic services, security, infrastructure, or basic human services) or are completely corrupt. Guatemala has 5times more private security guards as cops. Nicaragua's President is illegally seeking a third term, etc... I was wondering if any felt we as Cigar smokers had any responsibility towards these countries? Could we put pressure on Swedish Match? Or Arturo Fuente?

Is it even worth it? Would a decent economy and stability raise the price of cigars? Does anyone think that cigar firms would hold any local sway anyway?

Just kind of thinking out loud here... What do you guys think?

Please feel free to kill this if I have strayed too far into politics. I am mostly wondering if we as a community would have any ability to help those growing the tobacco.

kaisersozei
04-22-2011, 11:06 AM
For some reason, this is the only thing that comes into my mind

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQGcu1-XYl-Jccm8KRzDQr0LQqL-J4uN-T34yqz-HgCM0Hz95fh&t=1

Other than that, I got nuthin'. I appreciate your consideration of the topic, though :tu

jjirons69
04-22-2011, 11:19 AM
Probably comparable to products from China. Not the best labor practices and I'm sure a lot of corruption and abuse, but we keep on buying.

NCRadioMan
04-22-2011, 11:26 AM
It's just the way the world has been from the beginning.

:2

I have read that Don Pepin is one of the best paying employers in Nica.

taltos
04-22-2011, 12:10 PM
Fuente should probably stay out of the discussion since they are in the Dominican Republic and that country is relatively stable. As far as the other countries, we fulfill any obligation to them by buying their product. This pays for the export taxes that a responsible government would use to help their people. Kind of hard to enforce how a country controls its economy and serves its citizens.

Tio Gato
04-22-2011, 02:10 PM
Buying Central American cigars doesn't bother me as long as I know that the company is owned by a person, not the government. (Think Cuba)

massphatness
04-22-2011, 02:24 PM
Buying Cuban cigars doesn't bother me as long as they taste good, and not like a salt shaker. (Think Sancho Panza)

SvilleKid
04-22-2011, 04:44 PM
Buying Cuban cigars doesn't bother me as long as they taste good, and not like a salt shaker. (Think Sancho Panza)

Oh poo on you, you old rouge! :r What's wrong with a little salt!:dr

Seriously, though, Sancho Bellicosa's are one of my very favorites. That was actually the first two CC boxes I ever "acquired"!

As to Central America, I doubt the cigar growers hold enough sway to make the governments that are corrupt even look their way. If they did, you can bet they would try to nationalize the properties and companies like their buddy HC!

alfredo_buscatti
04-23-2011, 05:02 PM
Oh poo on you, you old rouge! :r What's wrong with a little salt!:dr

Seriously, though, Sancho Bellicosa's are one of my very favorites. That was actually the first two CC boxes I ever "acquired"!

As to Central America, I doubt the cigar growers hold enough sway to make the governments that are corrupt even look their way. If they did, you can bet they would try to nationalize the properties and companies like their buddy HC!

Exactly! It is heartbreaking, what goes on in the poor nations with corrupt governments. In my mind, however, what goes on in these countries is not that different from what goes on in the US. Presidents and others with political power, are screened by the rich, and they ensure that no one is elected who won't keep them rich. Then these approved pols are served up to the electorate.

In third world countries the worldwide plutocracy is just more blatant.

Altrad
04-27-2011, 01:56 PM
I live in DR and have been to both Nicaragua and Honduras, and like one fellow inmate pointed out, DR is a very different case, not only is way more stable (free elections since 1961) but it's clearly more prosperous than those countries (Nicaragua is the continent's second poorest country after Haiti, Honduras the third), my point being that the income the governments get from exports (like cigars or tourism) can indeed improve the life conditions of the people if they are used right, and the difference in poverty and quality of infrastructure between DR and Central America is a proof of that.
Clearly, the dollars from your cigars and tourism have contributed in some way to slash the level of poverty in this country by half in the last 50 years (according to the UN), and not only that, if you've been to any cigar factory in DR, you'll see that the conditions they work in are more than satisfactory and no comparison with Chinese workers can be made, their salaries are twice as high as their peers in Central America but that obviously doesn't mean Dominican cigars cost double, so yes progress can be done if the government invest in its people even a little of the hard earned money you guys indirectly give them when you buy a stogie, and no, an improvement in their quality of life doesn't have to mean you'll end up paying more.
Well that was my first post in the Asylum, gracias amigos! :)

icehog3
04-27-2011, 02:03 PM
Exactly! It is heartbreaking, what goes on in the poor nations with corrupt governments. In my mind, however, what goes on in these countries is not that different from what goes on in the US. Presidents and others with political power, are screened by the rich, and they ensure that no one is elected who won't keep them rich. Then these approved pols are served up to the electorate.

In third world countries the worldwide plutocracy is just more blatant.

And, we're done here.