PDA

View Full Version : NUB Habano 460

Nathan King
04-19-2011, 01:08 PM
NUB Habano 460

http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/ae203/NathanAKing/Cigar/IMG_1941640x555-1.jpg

Origin: Nicaragua
Format: Rothschild
Size: 4 x 60
Wrapper: Nicaragua
Filler: Nicaragua
Binder: Nicaragua
Price: $5.20

What a strange looking cigar. The NUB Habano 460 is a Nicaraguan puro manufactured by the Oliva Cigar Company. Have you ever noticed that some cigars taste best in the several inches toward the middle? The rationale behind NUB’s awkward sizes is that the cigars are designed in attempt to replicate this “sweet spot” from the beginning to end.

Appearance: 4/5 stars

The lightly-veined Habano wrapper is oily, giving this plump little cigar a satin appearance. A small imperfection in the wrapper leaf can be seen in the photograph; however, it poses only a slight aesthetic nuisance.

Construction: 4/5 stars

This is a well packed cigar rolled with an abundance of tobacco in spite of its seemingly diminutive size. The cap is generous, straight, and well adhered to the wrapper leaf. Over the entire duration of the smoke, the NUB Habano burned evenly with a draw offering just a touch of resistance.

Flavor: 3.5/5

The cigar has notes of roasted coffee and plenty of spice. Billowing clouds of thick smoke give way to a dry and woody finish. This NUB is very consistent from beginning to end, offering a pleasant flavor throughout.

Value: 4/5

The $5.00 price tag is fair considering the good construction and smoking duration of over an hour.

Overall Rating: 4/5 stars

I most often opt for the smaller ring gauges found in a corona or Lonsdale; however, the NUB Habano 460 is well constructed and a pleasure to smoke. Though flavorful, its only slight weakness is that the flavor lacks some complexity. Does a NUB offer the smoker one big “sweet spot?” While it is a good cigar, it expectedly falls short of its marketing claim to fame; it isn’t the size that causes the sweet spot but the confluence of oils.

Remo
04-19-2011, 01:16 PM
Thanks for the review, actually have some of these coming in this week.

nofeardiver
04-19-2011, 01:35 PM
This is my favorite brand, well oliva in general, i have a nub drawer in my wineador... my favorite is the Connie and the cameroon... they are wonderful, i most of the time will smoke a connie with coffee on sat morning...

mfarre03
04-20-2011, 11:49 PM
I havn't tried these yet but I am very curious. How could these last for over an hour, the damn things are so short, lol? I am always hesitant of buying one because of how short they are but I will have to bite the bullet.

HollywoodQue
04-21-2011, 03:06 AM
Nice review and great cigar...thanks