PDA

View Full Version : Acoustic Guitar for a Beginner

BamBam
04-19-2011, 06:05 AM
I'm looking into buying an acoustic guitar. They have always interested me, and I think it's just another one of those hobbies tat you have to master over a lifetime. Since it's my first guitar, and i cannot even play, I do not want to break the bank too badly.

So, for all you guys who are into guitars:

What's a good guitar for a beginner in your opinion?

Any other suggestions on buying one?

AD720
04-19-2011, 06:14 AM
First and foremost, what is your budget?

There are lots of great options out there. In the $300 range Seagull's are excellent guitars, made in Canada, solid woods. Yamaha pretty much owns the sub $200 level (in my opinion). I'd shy away from anything in the $99 dollar special range. There is nothing more frustrating to a new student than a guitar that won't stay in tune and I've seen more new players get turned off of the whole thing because of a poor instrument.

Also think about getting a good used acoustic. I can tell from experience that acoustic guitars sound better the more they get played (I've got some old ones that look like they been through a war but they SING).

Also, PM incoming.

DBall
04-19-2011, 06:28 AM
First and foremost, what is your budget?

There are lots of great options out there. In the $300 range Seagull's are excellent guitars, made in Canada, solid woods. Yamaha pretty much owns the sub $200 level (in my opinion). I'd shy away from anything in the $99 dollar special range. There is nothing more frustrating to a new student than a guitar that won't stay in tune and I've seen more new players get turned off of the whole thing because of a poor instrument.

Also think about getting a good used acoustic. I can tell from experience that acoustic guitars sound better the more they get played (I've got some old ones that look like they been through a war but they SING).

Also, PM incoming.

Everything he said is pretty much dead on. :tu

BamBam
04-19-2011, 02:41 PM
Well, like most everything in my life, I didn't wait long before jumping right in.

I swung by the local guitar shop today and they had a closeout price on a Washburn D10s. It looked great and from what I read is a solid guitar. It also came with a hardcase.

I got it for $199. I thought it was a good deal, what do you veterans say?

AD720
04-19-2011, 02:46 PM
Sounds like a good one to me. Enjoy it!

pektel
04-19-2011, 03:03 PM
I've been rocking a Takamine Jasmine for over 5 years now. The action is great, and I can bring it camping. I think I paid $75 for it used. But it is not my first guitar. What type of music are you thinking about playing?

CoreyD
04-19-2011, 03:09 PM
Hmm I saw this to late I have an acoustic with electric Peavey sitting in its case collecting dust I picked up a few times since i chopped my fingers on my left hand.

MurphysLaw
04-19-2011, 03:14 PM
Washburn is a decent axe, my dad had one for a couple years and it played really nice, but the electronics weren't up to par and didn't suit his needs. Should be a good guitar to learn on, and would make a really nice clock if you got sick of playing it :tu

pektel
04-19-2011, 03:15 PM
The other thing about a mediocre guitar, is that they are great to learn on. They are tougher to make sound good. So once you master that, and pick up a GREAT guitar (pre ww2 martin d28 comes to mind), you will notice how much easier they play.

awsmith4
04-19-2011, 03:20 PM
Washburn makes decent guitars, if I had seen in time I would have recommended Takamine or Alvarez but Washburn will serve you well.

acarr
04-19-2011, 03:48 PM
If you know anybody that knows anything about guitars, just look on Craigslist and take them with you when you go check it out. They will tell you what they think. Also, you will get a guitar that some dad bought their kid thinking they would be the next Van Halen and you will get a lot more for the money.

BamBam
04-19-2011, 05:46 PM
What type of music are you thinking about playing?

Anything and everything that I can. Mainly into country, bluegrass, stuff like that. Really open to all genres of music.

As of tonight I play a mean "twinkle twinkle little star", funny because today is the first time I've picked one up and tried to play, so even that sounds mediocre at best. Best part is even with my lackluster performance, my 4 and 5 year old Daughters thought I was a superstar and sang along.....like 15 times :tu

Should be a good guitar to learn on, and would make a really nice clock if you got sick of playing it :tu

HAHAHA....that's awesome, I love it.

Ratters
04-20-2011, 07:58 PM
I've found these to be a particularly good value price for sound:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Takamine-G340SC-Solid-Top-Cutaway-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=516423

BC-Axeman
04-20-2011, 10:19 PM
I have walked into guitar stores and just strummed them one by one as they hung on the wall just to hear how they sound open. Not caring if they were in tune or not. There is a huge difference in sound among them. The Washburn should serve you very well for years. If you get the hang of playing and really want a better guitar later you can keep it for a camping, worry free, take-along. Practice a lot. Search for and learn to read "tabs" (tabulature). There are thousands of tabs for popular tunes on the webz. Happy playing!

PS: Ratters, if that Tak is made the way they say I don't see how they can sell it so cheap. Almost the price of the materials.

Ratters
04-21-2011, 12:18 AM
Slave labor Lance. Slave labor. They are great playing guitars though.

My sister has a Guild cutaway slimbody. I really want to steal that thing from her one day.

bobarian
04-21-2011, 12:50 AM
Slave labor Lance. Slave labor. They are great playing guitars though.

My sister has a Guild cutaway slimbody. I really want to steal that thing from her one day.

If you start playing Kumbaya at our next herf, I'll have to go John Belushi on your a$$! :banger:lr

BC-Axeman
04-21-2011, 08:50 AM
If you start playing Kumbaya at our next herf, I'll have to go John Belushi on your a$$! :banger:lr
Great beginner song:D

pektel
04-21-2011, 09:24 AM
I've been learning an all acoustic instrumental version of No Woman No Cry. Sounds pretty good so far.

BamBam
05-11-2011, 09:18 PM
Alright guys, so I've been playing for 3 weeks now. I'm playing a little everyday, some days even multiple times. My calluses are developing nicely and have no pain when playing now, although I'm still getting hand soreness, have to build up those new muscles. I have found a lot of good info on youtube/internet and also began reading a beginner book and practicing with it.

I have went to 2 lessons for a half hour each, at $15 a session. I have to be honest, I really haven't learned anything new in the sessions that I didn't already get out of the book or the internet.

What do you guys say as far as lessons go?
Are they really worth it?

The instructor is really only helping me to play chords to songs, not really breaking down the mechanics of everything, which is sort of what I thought I would get from an instructor. I'm seriously considering just being self taught and learning on my own versus shelling out $15 per half hour for not that much instruction.

Looking for advice here all. Thanks

AD720
05-12-2011, 05:54 AM
Be upfront with your instructor and tell him/her what you want to get out of it. If you want to learn to read music, if you want to learn some deeper theory, ect. They should in turn be upfront with you as to their teaching style and capabilities.

I will say though that lessons with a good teacher are the best thing you can do and you will have a much lower chance of picking up bad habits or getting bored.

BC-Axeman
05-12-2011, 07:18 AM
^^^What Andrew said.
Lessons are for learning the next step in your development. Also to point out bad technique and correct it. Practice is to get better at what you learn.