PDA

View Full Version : Western Movies

Tombstone
11-19-2008, 08:04 AM
Who here likes westerns? I really enjoy western movies with John Wayne, Clint, and Robert Duvall in them. I guess that I enjoy that era...a time and place where if you had a problem you settled it then and there. I also enjoy the theme of freedom and country in many westerns.:cb

Some of my Favorites are listed below:
Lonesome Dove
Tombstone
Open Range
Rio Bravo
El Dorado
3:10 To Yuma
Appaloosa

Texan in Mexico
11-19-2008, 08:16 AM
I would have to agree with you - the list goes on and on for me but I really like ones with a Mayberryesque quality to them:

Tom Mix comes to mind

Some really good flicks that I like -

Stagecoach

The man who shot Liberty Vallance

The Shootist

Tombstone
11-19-2008, 08:22 AM
I really like the landscape and the idea of open land and unlimited opportunity.

Mr.Maduro
11-19-2008, 08:31 AM
I went on a Wester kick a year or two ago.

In no particular order...

Unforgiven
Tombstone
The Magnificent Seven
Quick and the Dead
Outlaw Josey Wales

rhdad42
11-19-2008, 08:31 AM
I'm a huge Western fan, especially the Spaghetti Westerns.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Fistful of Dollars
Once Upon a Time in the West

Also love the Duke:
The Searchers
McKlintock

Then there's The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skywalker
11-19-2008, 08:35 AM
I love the westerns!!!

Favs - Unforgiving, Tombstone, Open Range, Pale Rider, Outlaw Josey Wales!!!

Darrell
11-19-2008, 08:47 AM
I love the westerns!!!

Favs - Unforgiving, Tombstone, Open Range, Pale Rider, Outlaw Josey Wales!!!

UnforGIVEN, not GIVING, sheesh OB! :r

I am a big fan of westerns, some of my favorites are:

Tombstone
3:10 to Yuma (both orig and remake)
For a Few Dollars More
A Fistful of Dollars
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

:tu

mrreindeer
11-19-2008, 08:49 AM
Great thread!!!

Stagecoach

The Shootist

Great old flicks! I certainly lean towards the older stuff but I'd have to say I agree with you on Tombstone. Val Kilmer was quite possibly the best Doc Holliday ever.

I was fortunate enough to take a "Film Genres" class while I went to UCLA back in '94. And while I wasn't terribly excited about it when i first heard our genre was going to be "The Western", I grew to freaking LOVE them....well, Western films, and the fact that I was getting 6 units instead of the normal 4 all for sitting in a dark theater for 4 hours, twice a week.

Prior to this class, I hadn't watched a full Western film from start to finish, other than what I saw on Bonanza on the tube at home.

I'm not sure it's very American of me within a very American genre, but I'd have to say my favorite Western filmmaker is Sergio Leone, no offense John Ford. The first "Spaghetti Western" I saw remains my favorite: "Once Upon a Time in the West" with Henry Fonda, Charles Bronson, Jason Robards and mmm....Claudia Cardinale. Sergio's style of filmmaking is insane and if you don't know him, you'll know the more well known "A Fistfull of Dollars", "For a Few Dollars More" and "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly".

I'm getting a little long-winded so I'll just list a few faves:

1) Once Upon a Time in the West
2) The Wild Bunch (Sam Peckinpah masterpiece with William Holden, Ernest Borgnine, Robert Ryan, Ed O'Brien...)
3) Stagecoach (freakin' love John Wayne!)
4) High Noon (freakin Gary Cooper)
5) The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (John Wayne & Jimmy Stewart!!)
6) Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kidd (the late Paul Newman & Robert Redford)
7) The Searchers - Another great John Ford flic with John Wayne
8) My Darling Clementine - John Ford / Henry Fonda
9) Broken Arrow - Jimmy Stewart

hell, I even like Young Guns!

TripleF
11-19-2008, 08:52 AM
I really like the landscape and the idea of open land and unlimited opportunity.

Roger that bro!! I'm with you all the way.

Favorites:
Lonesome Dove
Tombstone
Open Range
Broken Trail
and pretty much any Clint Eastwood western :cb

Darrell
11-19-2008, 08:55 AM
I am glad to see so many fans of Tombstone, IMHO it was the only Western worth a **** for a long time post 1990.

Tombstone
11-19-2008, 08:58 AM
I am glad to see so many fans of Tombstone, IMHO it was the only Western worth a **** for a long time post 1990.

You gotta watch Open Range then.

mrreindeer
11-19-2008, 08:59 AM
And Darrell, if you haven't seen "The Wild Bunch", GO NOW, WATCH IT. Also "Once Upon a Time in the West" while you're at the store.

Skywalker
11-19-2008, 08:59 AM
UnforGIVEN, not GIVING, sheesh OB! :r

I am a big fan of westerns, some of my favorites are:

Tombstone
3:10 to Yuma (both orig and remake)
For a Few Dollars More
A Fistful of Up Your A$$
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

:tu

Thanks for catching my mistake!!! Oh yeah... BTW I corrected your Fistful of Dollars!!!:r

G G
11-19-2008, 09:31 AM
Lonesome Dove is my alltime favorite western.:D

N2Advnture
11-19-2008, 09:33 AM
Robert Duval lives near us and a nicer guy would be hard to find.

Splits his time between Northern Va and Honduras (where his wife is from)

~M

Tombstone
11-19-2008, 09:36 AM
Robert Duval lives near us and a nicer guy would be hard to find.

Splits his time between Northern Va and Honduras (where his wife is from)

~M

Robert Duval is my favorite actor. His acting in Lonesome Dove and Open Range is legend. He is a true American.

N2Advnture
11-19-2008, 09:39 AM
Robert Duval is my favorite actor. His acting in Lonesome Dove and Open Range is legend. He is a true American.

Then you'd be glad to know that he is not a hollywood tool.

He says: "I'm famous enough for it to be enjoyable" LOL! He doesn't get stalked, paparazzi but gets recognized as a great actor and he is gracious about it. Very cool dude.

Tombstone
11-19-2008, 09:41 AM
Then you'd be glad to know that he is not a hollywood tool.

He says: "I'm famous enough for it to be enjoyable" LOL! He doesn't get stalked, paparazzi but gets recognized as a great actor and he is gracious about it. Very cool dude.

That is why i like him. I agree with a lot of his personal beliefs also.

icehog3
11-19-2008, 09:46 AM

Have you seen "Unforgiven"???? ;):r

dcamacho
11-19-2008, 10:26 AM
great post, im gonna check out all of them. i loved 3:10 to yuma :cb

bobarian
11-19-2008, 10:32 AM
My Name is Nobody-Henry Fonda, Terrance Hill
My Darling Clementine-Henry Fonda, Walter Brennan
Red River-John Wayne
High Noon-Gary Cooper
Rio Bravo-John Wayne, Angie Dickinson
High Plains Drifter-Clint Eastwood

Darrell
11-19-2008, 02:23 PM
Have you seen "Unforgiven"???? ;):r

Oddly, no.

icehog3
11-19-2008, 02:57 PM
Oddly, no.

You need to. :2

MajorCaptSilly
11-19-2008, 03:02 PM
I would have to agree with you - the list goes on and on for me but I really like ones with a Mayberryesque quality to them:

Tom Mix comes to mind

Stagecoach

The Shootist

The Man Who Shot Liberty Vallance is one of my favorite movies of all time!

MCS

kugie
11-19-2008, 03:07 PM
Winchester '73
Silverado. One of my Favorites (it's like RUDY I can't Shut it off)
Firefly Not really a Western But a great Western Theme.
The Searchers John Wayne
Cat Ballou
Sons of Katie Elder
Unforgiven "Well, he should have armed himself if he's going to decorate his saloon with my friend"
I got A whole Bunch More But I don't have the Time.

WyoBob
11-19-2008, 03:25 PM

He's really good in "Second Hand Lions", too. One of my favorite non-westerns.

I'd add to the many movies listed (maybe not truly "westerns"): Quigly Down Under, Dances with Wolves and Little Big Man.

WyoBob

hotreds
11-19-2008, 03:34 PM
C'era una Volta il West.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azK1deEMM6M&feature=related

stevefrench
11-19-2008, 03:46 PM
I like western movies! Some of my favorites are:
Fort Apache
She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
Stagecoach
Open Range
Red River
Wyatt Earp
Unforgiven
Pale Rider
The Searchers
Rio Bravo
Jesse James
The Return Of Frank James
Lots of cigars in these movies too!:tu

muziq
11-19-2008, 03:52 PM
Although typically not considered a western in the same breath as the period pieces (i.e. The Searchers), it would be hard to find a more iconic "modern" western character than Paul Newman's Hud in the film of the same name.

galaga
11-19-2008, 04:16 PM
Favorite is OJWales, the Searchers and She Wore a Yellow Ribbon.

A few others not mentioned yet:

The Magnificent Seven (A Kurosawa Samurai flick)
Brynner, Wallach, McQueen, Bronson, Coburn

One-Eyed jacks (Brando's best Western)
Brando & Malden

Lonely Are the Brave (from a Edward Abbey novel)
Kirk Douglas, Walter Matthau

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
Bogart and Huston (Badges? We ain't got no....)

mugwump
11-19-2008, 05:05 PM
I've always appreciated the anti-hero aspect of many Westerns. My all-time favorite would have to be "The Professionals." I like how it covers the time period when the traditional Old West was starting to give way to the modern era of automobiles. Plus Burt Lancaster makes for a great scene-chewing villain.

kugie
11-19-2008, 06:10 PM

Brando & Malden

I think the magnificent Seven One of the reatest Was not mentioned. One of the Best

icehog3
11-19-2008, 06:28 PM
Although typically not considered a western in the same breath as the period pieces (i.e. The Searchers), it would be hard to find a more iconic "modern" western character than Paul Newman's Hud in the film of the same name.

I must be psychic, Heath, I put "Hud" in the movie title thread 30 seconds before reading this....wow.

JohnnyFlake
11-19-2008, 06:56 PM
Like everyone here, I absolutely love Westerns. All the movies mentioned so far are great in their own way!

A couple that I really enjoy, that have not been mentioned, unless I missed seeing them, are:

Gun Fighter's Moon (Lance Hendrix)

Purgatory (Eric Roberts, Sam Shepard, Randy Quaid, Donnie Wahlberg & others)

They are great films!!!

Question:
Many, many of you list "Tombstone", and I agree, it's a great movie!
My question though, is which version of "Tombstone", of the two most recent, is your favorite. One stars Kurt Russell & one stars Kevin Costner?

Personally, I like them both, a lot! However, if forced to choose one over the other, I would go with the Kevin Costner version!

shilala
11-19-2008, 10:00 PM
My Name is Nobody-Henry Fonda, Terrance Hill
My Darling Clementine-Henry Fonda, Walter Brennan
Red River-John Wayne
High Noon-Gary Cooper
Rio Bravo-John Wayne, Angie Dickinson
High Plains Drifter-Clint Eastwood

I love old spaghetti westerns. Clint owns the genre, but I would probably have to chose "My Name Is Nobody" as my all-time favorite.
I'm glad Bob mentioned it because I couldn't believe it wasn't on the first page.

I recently watched a comedy spaghetti western that was really good.
It's spanish and it's subtitled, but it was big fun.
It's called 800 Bullets. Here's a link (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0292886/).
It's definately worth the $1.99 at Blockbuster. One of the user comments on that page I linked says "A touching and funny homage to Spaghetti Westerns and film-making in general."
It's exactly that. It's not going to win any awards, but it pleasantly surprised me. I'd love to sit and watch it again. :tu

acarr
11-19-2008, 10:07 PM
Young Guns
For a Few Dollars More
Joe Kidd

Darrell
11-19-2008, 10:12 PM
Question:
Many, many of you list "Tombstone", and I agree, it's a great movie!
My question though, is which version of "Tombstone", of the two most recent, is your favorite. One stars Kurt Russell & one stars Kevin Costner?

Personally, I like them both, a lot! However, if forced to choose one over the other, I would go with the Kevin Costner version!

I think you mean Wyatt Earp, which starred Costner. I have to go with the Kurt Russell and Val Kilmer in Tombstone. That film is so much better IMO.

Snake Hips
11-19-2008, 10:47 PM
Just bought a collection of really crappy spaghetti westerns at Wal-Mart for the purpose of making fun of them, Mystery Science Theater style. Rage At Dawn was an insta-classic :r I'm still trying wondering where the rage is!

muziq
11-20-2008, 06:19 AM
I must be psychic, Heath, I put "Hud" in the movie title thread 30 seconds before reading this....wow.

Well, you're *something,* Tom...:r

Another non-traditional fav western for me is All The Pretty Horses. The book is a better-told story, but the film still has some great acting and an interesting cross-border storyline.

borndead1
11-20-2008, 06:25 AM
"Death Rides a Horse" is one of the great underrated westerns IMO. Lee Van Cleef is in it...and he DOESN'T play a bad guy!

Mr.Maduro
11-20-2008, 06:31 AM

Brando & Malden

I think the magnificent Seven One of the reatest Was not mentioned. One of the Best

See post #4. ;)

macpappy
11-20-2008, 08:00 AM
If it's a western movie with John Wayne or Clint Eastwood in it, then I watch it.
Then again I will watch any movie that those two are in.

I wish somebody would make a good movie out of Have Gun, Will Travel...

Skywalker
11-20-2008, 09:15 AM
I think you mean Wyatt Earp, which starred Costner. I have to go with the Kurt Russell and Val Kilmer in Tombstone. That film is so much better IMO.

:tpd: The plot build up in Tombstone really holds my interest! I really like that they used the (slang) language of the period!

mrreindeer
11-20-2008, 09:32 AM
I recently watched a comedy spaghetti western that was really good.
It's spanish and it's subtitled, but it was big fun.
It's called 800 Bullets. Here's a link (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0292886/).
It's definately worth the $1.99 at Blockbuster. One of the user comments on that page I linked says "A touching and funny homage to Spaghetti Westerns and film-making in general."
It's exactly that. It's not going to win any awards, but it pleasantly surprised me. I'd love to sit and watch it again. :tu

Just added it to the list; thanks Scott! :tu

Totally agree.

Cigary
11-20-2008, 12:53 PM
If it's a western movie with John Wayne or Clint Eastwood in it, then I watch it.
Then again I will watch any movie that those two are in.

I wish somebody would make a good movie out of Have Gun, Will Travel...

I love HGWT ( have gun will travel ) as a kid. You know you can watch the first season for free on cbs.com under their old shows. There are about 38 shows to watch and I did a marathon one night.

Loved Kurt Russel in Tombstone,,,thought it was better than Wyatt Earp with Costner. For real westerns and good ones I gotta go with Sam Peckinpah and Butch and Sundance.

Skywalker
11-20-2008, 02:49 PM
I love HGWT ( have gun will travel ) as a kid. You know you can watch the first season for free on cbs.com under their old shows. There are about 38 shows to watch and I did a marathon one night.

Loved Kurt Russel in Tombstone,,,thought it was better than Wyatt Earp with Costner. For real westerns and good ones I gotta go with Sam Peckinpah and Butch and Sundance.

Forgot that one!!! Great flick!!!

CBI_2
12-19-2008, 04:59 PM
Holy Crapola! How did I miss this thread before. As many here I love westerns also. Can watch any Duke, Eastwood or Duval western any time it is on.

True Grit: John Wayne and Duval in the same movie. Primo

The Cheyenne Social Club with Stewart and Fonda is a good one often over looked.

The Last Wagon with another great actor Richard Widmark

Tombstone
12-22-2008, 09:24 AM
Just watched Cowboys staring John Wayne. Great Movie!!:cb

jjirons69
12-22-2008, 09:35 AM
I've read through this thread and tend to agree with a lot of these movies. However, my father-in-law is the ultimate western freak and his list would go on for pages. Nine times out of ten if he's watching tv, it's a western or a western tv show. His satellite only needs a couple of channels for him to be happy. I've watched westerns that I never knew existed with him, to the point of believing I've seen some of them twice. You wouldn't believe how many black and white westerns follow the same theme and plot.

tnip23
12-22-2008, 09:36 AM
AMC is running 24 hrs of the Duke on Christmas, should be plenty of westerns in th mix.

Tombstone
12-22-2008, 09:37 AM
AMC is running 24 hrs of the Duke on Christmas, should be plenty of westerns in th mix.

Yep, i cannot wait. 'i'll be a suck head mule'

MadAl
12-22-2008, 11:12 AM
I'm a fan of period pieces generally, just add Dances With Wolves to the mix.

Watched The Assassination of Jess James by the Coward Robert Ford last week. That too.

Tombstone
12-26-2008, 01:00 PM
Just finished True Grit. Great movie!!!!