PDA

View Full Version : Looking for opinions on a pellet grill

poker
03-29-2011, 09:13 AM
Do you have one? Are you happy with it?
Im looking at replacing an old Weber charcoal grill with something nicer and was reading a bit about pellet grills that use wood pellets and indirect heat (I think).
Was looking at the Traeger models.
Thanks in advance for any info you could share.

pnoon
03-29-2011, 09:15 AM
I don't own one Kelly. But a good friend of mine does and he can't say enough good things about Traeger.
Posted via Mobile Device

T.G
03-29-2011, 09:28 AM
Aside from the high cost of the unit, I don't think I've never heard a bad thing said about Traeger.

One comment I would have is that if you use exotic or uncommonly used smoke woods, unless you can find a source for them in hard pellet form, you will have to give them up as Traeger only offers the most common/mainstream smoke woods in pellet form.

Aero95
03-29-2011, 09:39 AM
Only bad thing I have heard is that the metal is a bit thin. Other then that Ive heard great things about them.

CasaDooley
03-29-2011, 09:46 AM
Kelly, I bought my first Traeger in 1994, the Texas BBQ 075. I still have it. I picked up another Texas BBQ for my parents in 96 and they still have theirs. My best friend owns 3 of em and in 2006 I picked up a newer Texas because I wanted the auto start feature. Needless to say I love em. I worked in the retail construction trades for 15 years, started out in fireplaces, BBQ's, etc. PM me with any questions you have Bro.:D
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk110/casadooley/2009_0712KDpics0005.jpg
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk110/casadooley/2009_1231KDpics0036-1.jpg

shilala
03-29-2011, 09:52 AM
I never heard of them, but I do know it took a big adjustment for me to change from charcoal to gas. It makes me wonder if it kicks out the same kind of flavor as charcoal does?

Aero95
03-29-2011, 09:53 AM
Kevin how long do the 20lb bags last on the smoke setting?

marge796
03-29-2011, 10:04 AM
I have two Traegers and if the CFO would allow me I'd buy a third. The best pellet smoker/grill out there IMO.

:tu

Chris.....

CasaDooley
03-29-2011, 10:14 AM
Kevin how long do the 20lb bags last on the smoke setting?

Aaron, You can get an average of about 30 hours of cooking time with each 20 pound bag of pellets, that's equal to at least 10 cookouts. On Smoke setting (180 degrees) you will use about one half to two-thirds of a pound per hour (it depends on what pellet wood you're using, 30 to 40 hours is my best guess from experience). On Medium (300 degrees) you will use about 1 pound per hour. And on High setting (425 degrees) you will use about 2 pounds per hour.

poker
03-29-2011, 10:15 AM
Kelly, I bought my first Traeger in 1994, the Texas BBQ 075. I still have it. I picked up another Texas BBQ for my parents in 96 and they still have theirs. My best friend owns 3 of em and in 2006 I picked up a newer Texas because I wanted the auto start feature. Needless to say I love em. I worked in the retail construction trades for 15 years, started out in fireplaces, BBQ's, etc. PM me with any questions you have Bro.:D
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk110/casadooley/2009_0712KDpics0005.jpg
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk110/casadooley/2009_1231KDpics0036-1.jpg

The Texas model was the one I was most interested in. Its looking more and more like Im going to bite the bullet and get one.

poker
03-29-2011, 10:31 AM
Thanks again folks for the great info:tu

Aero95
03-29-2011, 11:02 AM
Thanks Kevin! I want to get a grill made by http://www.bbqpits.com but its hard to find wood and to store it here in Cincinnati. We do have a store here that sells Traeger.

pnoon
03-30-2011, 09:32 AM
The Texas model was the one I was most interested in. Its looking more and more like Im going to bite the bullet and get one.
Thanks, Kelly.
Because of you and this thread it looks like I am on the fast track to get myself a Traeger.

:dance:
Posted via Mobile Device

poker
03-30-2011, 10:20 AM
Thanks, Kelly.
Because of you and this thread it looks like I am on the fast track to get myself a Traeger.

Posted via Mobile Device

I wonder if we can get a discount if we buy 2? :D
EDIT: well, it appears discounts wont apply for 2. I called 5 places. :r

pnoon
03-30-2011, 10:33 AM
Should we start a group buy? :D
Posted via Mobile Device

poker
03-30-2011, 10:39 AM
I found all the local places that are Traeger retailers dont carry the Texas model in stock but rather they are ordered as needed. Just called Traeger and they verified they have them available in both their Northern & Southern California warehouses so ETA's are minimal.

pnoon
03-30-2011, 10:41 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

ChicagoWhiteSox
03-30-2011, 10:48 AM
Should we start a group buy? :D
Posted via Mobile Device

I'd would be interested:D

mosesbotbol
03-30-2011, 10:48 AM
I never heard of this style grill until right now. Pretty cool. For those who want to know more: http://www.traegergrills.com

Smokin Gator
03-30-2011, 10:56 AM
You will love the Traeger!! We have been using a Lil Tex for several years as our chicken cooker for our competition BBQ team. After seeing it my brother bought an 075 and loves it as well.

Here is a GREAT source for good quality pellets. They make all the difference in the world:

http://www.cookinpellets.com

T.G
03-30-2011, 10:59 AM

Thanks, Kelly.

Posted via Mobile Device

Two or three times last year Traeger came through some of the local Costco stores on a roadshow and their grill prices were a few hundred dollars lower than the normal B&M store and online prices. They also had very good pricing on pellets - buy three at the already discounted Costco price, get one or two free, something like that. Plus, some of the Costco membership cards and amex cards have the % back at the end of the year on top of all that.

I'm not sure where to look to find out the roadshow schedule though, or if it's even been determined yet.

Aero95
03-30-2011, 11:01 AM
Two or three times last year Traeger came through some of the local Costco stores on a roadshow and their grill prices were a few hundred dollars lower than the normal B&M store and online prices. They also had very good pricing on pellets - buy three at the already discounted Costco price, get one or two free, something like that. Plus, some of the Costco membership cards and amex cards have the % back at the end of the year on top of all that.

I'm not sure where to look to find out the roadshow schedule though, or if it's even been determined yet.

Costco was in the Cincy area last week with the grills.

markem
03-30-2011, 11:03 AM
I have a Traeger. They are made about an hour from my house. I've rented the huge tow behinds for parties (cooking for 175 is a biatch!)

There is another company, also local, that makes a pellet smoker/grill that I think is bit better than the Traeger. The company is Green Mountain Grills and the principle difference is that the grill temps can get to about 100 degrees hotter than the Traeger. This is the only downside of the Traeger, in my opinion. I haven't cooked with the GM grill myself, but have been to some parties where the owners of the company have been cooking (they are old friends of CA member Vorb, aka Jason).

Dunno if they are available in your area or if you would have to have it shipped, but I am considering replacing my lil tex with a green mountain

Lear31MX
03-30-2011, 12:12 PM
The green mountain has a remote, thats cool

pnoon
03-30-2011, 11:28 PM
You will love the Traeger!! We have been using a Lil Tex for several years as our chicken cooker for our competition BBQ team. After seeing it my brother bought an 075 and loves it as well.

Here is a GREAT source for good quality pellets. They make all the difference in the world:

http://www.cookinpellets.com
I looked at that site and all I could find was hickory and their blend.
Am I missing something? :confused:

mosesbotbol
03-31-2011, 04:59 AM
I looked at that site and all I could find was hickory and their blend.
Am I missing something? :confused:

I don't think so, that's all I saw too.

Aero95
03-31-2011, 08:14 AM
Anybody ever heard of mak gills? I.read some reviews and I hear they are very nice.

qsalinas
03-31-2011, 10:03 AM
Thanks Kevin! I want to get a grill made by http://www.bbqpits.com but its hard to find wood and to store it here in Cincinnati.

Yeah these guys are awesome and they make some high quality grills/smokers. I live just a few minutes from their factory and it's really cool to see their product. When you order a grill it's handmade by one guy, from start to finish. And the welds are freaking PERFECT.

Aero95
03-31-2011, 01:15 PM
Very cool Enrique. Do they ever do BBQ's at there place?

qsalinas
03-31-2011, 03:12 PM
Very cool Enrique. Do they ever do BBQ's at there place?

I don't think so and if they do it's probably just for the employees after work. But I think they have a competition team and I bet their BBQ is :dr.

pnoon
04-01-2011, 09:32 AM
I have a Traeger. They are made about an hour from my house. I've rented the huge tow behinds for parties (cooking for 175 is a biatch!)

There is another company, also local, that makes a pellet smoker/grill that I think is bit better than the Traeger. The company is Green Mountain Grills and the principle difference is that the grill temps can get to about 100 degrees hotter than the Traeger. This is the only downside of the Traeger, in my opinion. I haven't cooked with the GM grill myself, but have been to some parties where the owners of the company have been cooking (they are old friends of CA member Vorb, aka Jason).

Dunno if they are available in your area or if you would have to have it shipped, but I am considering replacing my lil tex with a green mountain
I learned that Traeger sent their mfg operation to China ~5 years ago. Anyone purchase one recently? I like to buy US made wen I can. But if the quality is still there, I have no problem buying one.

I will look into Green Mountain, too.
Thanks, Mark.
Posted via Mobile Device

Aero95
04-01-2011, 11:12 AM
Pnoon check out MAK grills http://www.makgrills.com/ I have read nothing but great reviews about this company and its American made :tu

pnoon
04-01-2011, 11:13 AM
Pnoon check out MAK grills http://www.makgrills.com/ I have read nothing but great reviews about this company and its American made :tu
I have. They look great but a bit beyond my budget.
Posted via Mobile Device

Aero95
04-01-2011, 11:21 AM
Ahh my bad. You can also check out this site I found they have reviews on grills. http://www.amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_guide/smokers/pellet_smokers.html

Green mountain looks nice also.

pnoon
04-01-2011, 11:25 AM
Ahh my bad. You can also check out this site I found they have reviews on grills. http://www.amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_guide/smokers/pellet_smokers.html

Green mountain looks nice also.

Been there, too :)
Posted via Mobile Device

T.G
04-01-2011, 12:00 PM
I learned that Traeger sent their mfg operation to China ~5 years ago. Anyone purchase one recently? I like to buy US made wen I can. But if the quality is still there, I have no problem buying one.

Thanks, Mark.
Posted via Mobile Device

Posted via Mobile Device

Not sure if it's exactly what you are looking for but I think there's a company right in my area somewhere that makes pellet adapters here for Weber kettles (still built in the USA I believe).

I'll do some checking a bit later and get back to you.

CasaDooley
04-01-2011, 12:00 PM
There have been a lot of great grill suggestions put forth here, so I would just say look at the following items when trying to decide what the best pellet BBQ is for you:

How long has the Mfg been in business ( I have seen some grills on the market for a few years then disappear. What good is a grill that will last a decade or more when you can no longer get parts for em. )

How easy is it to get pellets locally ( Shipping adds a lot to the final cost of your pellets. )

When you open the BBQ lid up, how much heat will you lose ( some brands are just designed better then others. )

Do not buy anything that has rubber pieces in the auger feed system.

Remember that a pellet BBQ is not the same as a gas or charcoal grill. You will not get those high high searing temps.

I have cooked everything on my pellet grill in the last 16 years ( If you cook it in your oven, you can do it on your grill ) and the taste is unbelievable! :dr ( Your gonna have to trust me on this one :D )

CasaDooley
04-01-2011, 12:04 PM

Thanks, Mark.
Posted via Mobile Device

I have a few friends that own the China made models and the quality appears to be equal Peter.

markem
04-01-2011, 12:05 PM
One last item:

If you live in an area with high humidity, make sure that the auger itself is empty if you plan to not use the grill for more than about a week. The achilles heel for these things is that if the pellets in the auger expand, they can wedge it and then when you turn it on you can burn out the auger motor. Happened to me with my Traeger.

CasaDooley
04-01-2011, 12:11 PM
One last item:

If you live in an area with high humidity, make sure that the auger itself is empty if you plan to not use the grill for more than about a week. The achilles heel for these things is that if the pellets in the auger expand, they can wedge it and then when you turn it on you can burn out the auger motor. Happened to me with my Traeger.

Forgot to mention that. Good catch Mark! :tu

T.G
04-01-2011, 12:29 PM

Thanks, Mark.
Posted via Mobile Device

Posted via Mobile Device

Not sure if it's exactly what you are looking for but I think there's a company right in my area somewhere that makes pellet adapters here for Weber kettles (still built in the USA I believe).

I'll do some checking a bit later and get back to you.

Found it...

Stoven, in Citrus Heights (suburb of Sacramento).

http://www.thepelletbbqgriller.com/stoven-barbecues.html

Radio interview with the inventor/founder:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8z2NjWEgDw

Not much info or reviews out there on these units. $350 for the stoven + $90 for a Weber 22.5"OTS - not sure how it directly compares or stacks up against the lowest cost Traeger. Doesn't seem to have advanced temp control, but I don't think the entry level Traeger does either.

I did see one comment on a bbq pellet forum about the hopper isn't very big, but I'm not sure of that person actually owns one to make the statements he does about how long the fuel lasts.

poker
04-01-2011, 12:33 PM
A lot of awesome info here gents. Thank you so much!

pnoon
04-03-2011, 02:19 PM

I'm working out in the back yard when my wife calls me from Costco. She says Traeger is there and quotes me prices. Holy crap. Based on size and cost, I was considering the Lil Texas elite. But Costco had the Texas for the same price as the Lil Elite bought elsewhere.

So I bought the Texas. :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Pellets, normally $20, were $13.69.

Time to get in the game, Kelly. :)

Aero95
04-03-2011, 02:57 PM
Congrats Pnoon im sure you will be happy!

pnoon
04-03-2011, 02:59 PM
Congrats Pnoon im sure you will be happy!

I have no doubt, Aaron.

T.G
04-03-2011, 03:11 PM
I'm working out in the back yard when my wife calls me from Costco. She says Traeger is there and quotes me prices. Holy crap. Based on size and cost, I was considering the Lil Texas elite. But Costco had the Texas for the same price as the Lil Elite bought elsewhere.

So I bought the Texas. :dance: :dance: :dance:

txsmoke
04-03-2011, 06:31 PM
I just got my first pellet cooker after years of using a stick burner. I bought a Traeger and am VERY happy with it!

CasaDooley
04-03-2011, 06:44 PM

Peter, you wont regret it. Now fire that puppy up, toss on a heap of chicken wings, sprinkle liberally with Johnny Salt and experience pellet grill nirvana!:dr

smelly4tay
04-03-2011, 06:50 PM

Awesome Peter!

markem
04-03-2011, 06:56 PM

Congrats, Peter! Be sure to follow the seasoning directions carefully.

Prefy
04-03-2011, 10:17 PM
Interesting thread I had never heard of these kind of grills before. I do most of my cooking in the summer over an open fire (when I'm home) which I assuming this type of grill is trying to emulate.

I might have to look into getting one of these because it's difficult to cook over a fire in an apartment (which is where I am all winter), that is without burning the whole place down:r

poker
04-04-2011, 07:58 AM

I'm all over it. Talked with June yesterday and she likes the idea. We'll be going to Costco this week for the Texas model. :tu

bobarian
04-04-2011, 10:28 AM

So I bought the Texas. :dance: :dance:

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/9372/worthless.jpg

;s

(fixed it for ya)

forgop
04-04-2011, 10:56 AM
Slight threadjack, but I came across this smoker locally on craigslist. Any ideas if this is a good buy? Looks like it's an electric smoker from the very limited info I can find.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/for/2303149798.html

poker
04-04-2011, 11:07 AM
Slight threadjack, but I came across this smoker locally on craigslist. Any ideas if this is a good buy? Looks like it's an electric smoker from the very limited info I can find.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/for/2303149798.html

Seems retail is around 995 with specs here:
http://www.bbq-home.com/smith_and_wesson_sws357.htm

forgop
04-04-2011, 11:13 AM
Seems retail is around 995 with specs here:
http://www.bbq-home.com/smith_and_wesson_sws357.htm

Thanks-never came across that link. Looked like it was available at Sams Club at one point, but couldn't get any detailed specs/pricing info like this.

poker
04-04-2011, 11:16 AM
From what I can gather, it appears it is made by Traeger

forgop
04-04-2011, 11:50 AM
From what I can gather, it appears it is made by Traeger

Found a forum where a guy listed he had the S&W model and it is the exact same thing as the Traeger Professional. Overstock.com turned it up at $1,129.99 but it was sold out.

I think I'm on to something here.

pnoon
04-04-2011, 09:42 PM
http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/9372/worthless.jpg

;s

(fixed it for ya)

:lr

I assembled and seasoned it today.
Tomorrow or Wednesday will be the first "cook".

I will try and remember pics tomorrow. She's a beauty.

Aero95
04-04-2011, 09:45 PM
Can't wait to see the pics Peter.

GoatLocker
04-04-2011, 10:03 PM
First Nancy buys you an Aristocrat, now a Traeger? You're a lucky man Peter! Damn, my new Weber hasn't even arrived yet...:td I guess I can wait a couple months until these Traegers start showing up on Craigslist at half price. :)

So I bought the Texas.

pnoon
04-04-2011, 10:03 PM
Can't wait to see the pics Peter.

Thanks, Aaron.
Pics tomorrow will be of the grill.
Not sure if I'll be cooking on it before the weekend.
I'll be sure and share when I do.

Aero95
04-04-2011, 10:19 PM
Your telling me you didn't buy a brisket when you got the grill at costco. What gives :sl :D

pnoon
04-04-2011, 10:29 PM
Your telling me you didn't buy a brisket when you got the grill at costco. What gives :sl :D

Actually, we did.

I had been thinking about buying a pellet grill for a couple of weeks. Traeger was the front runner. My wife was shopping at Costco Sunday morning and called to tell me of the road show. She actually came home with a 4 lb brisket even before we bought the grill. I also have a couple of corned beef briskets that I bought when they were on sale for St. Patty's day. I think I'm gonna do the corned beef on Saturday.
http://www.traegergrills.com/recipes/detail/74

Aero95
04-05-2011, 06:04 AM
Needless to say I’m very jealous and your wife is a keeper :tu The best part about owning a traeger is the fact you can enjoy a few cigars while the meat is cooking.

pnoon
04-05-2011, 06:36 AM
Needless to say I’m very jealous and your wife is a keeper :tu The best part about owning a traeger is the fact you can enjoy a few cigars while the meat is cooking.

You ain't kiddin'.
For Xmas, she got me an Aristocrat.

Aero95
04-05-2011, 07:13 AM
You ain't kiddin'.
For Xmas, she got me an Aristocrat.

:banger

poker
04-05-2011, 07:29 AM
Peter is a lucky guy indeed.

T.G
04-05-2011, 08:58 AM
Actually, we did.

I had been thinking about buying a pellet grill for a couple of weeks. Traeger was the front runner. My wife was shopping at Costco Sunday morning and called to tell me of the road show. She actually came home with a 4 lb brisket even before we bought the grill. I also have a couple of corned beef briskets that I bought when they were on sale for St. Patty's day. I think I'm gonna do the corned beef on Saturday.
http://www.traegergrills.com/recipes/detail/74

Peter, a comment on that recipe - the bagged corned beef is typically cured with extra salt because some will be lost in the boiling process. Now, if you don't boil the meat, all that extra salt stays in the meat, so I would advise caution if you chose to add any rubs that have salt in them, ie: commercial rubs, which typically have a very high percentage of salt in them, or any sauce combinations involving a lot of salt, or, depending on your tastes, you might push the food into the category of inedible. You can also soak the meat for a few hours prior to cooking, changing the water every hour, to reduce the salt levels a bit. :2

pnoon
04-05-2011, 09:05 AM
Peter, a comment on that recipe - the bagged corned beef is typically cured with extra salt because some will be lost in the boiling process. Now, if you don't boil the meat, all that extra salt stays in the meat, so I would advise caution if you chose to add any rubs that have salt in them, ie: commercial rubs, which typically have a very high percentage of salt in them, or any sauce combinations involving a lot of salt, or, depending on your tastes, you might push the food into the category of inedible. You can also soak the meat for a few hours prior to cooking, changing the water every hour, to reduce the salt levels a bit. :2
Good point, Adam.
When I was young, my mother used to soak the ham to reduce the salt. I will definitely do that with the corned beef.
Posted via Mobile Device

Aero95
04-05-2011, 09:08 AM
Peter you have a package coming your way to help with the meats :tu

pnoon
04-05-2011, 09:38 AM
Peter you have a package coming your way to help with the meats :tu
You are most kind, Brother.
Posted via Mobile Device

T.G
04-05-2011, 09:48 AM
Good point, Adam.
When I was young, my mother used to soak the ham to reduce the salt. I will definitely do that with the corned beef.
Posted via Mobile Device

The last time I used bagged CB for a smoker, I think I soaked it for 2-3 hours and I didn't feel that it was long enough, but tastes vary.

Aero95
04-05-2011, 10:05 AM
This is what I could find and I agree with Adam it may need more time.

Soak: To start off grilling our corned beef you need to soak the beef for about 30 minutes per pound and no less than 2 hours. This soaking needs to be done with warm water or the salt will not dissolve effectively. You also need to change the water every hour and rinse the corned beef off when you change the water. You may choose to place the corned beef in a pot of water and set it on your stove over a low heat for the soaking time.

forgop
04-05-2011, 04:41 PM
Can anyone tell me if there's a schedule by Costco location of when Traeger is there or if they're at all of them? I'm currently not a member at Costco as the closest one is 30 minutes away while Sam's is 5 minutes away.

pnoon
04-05-2011, 04:49 PM
Can anyone tell me if there's a schedule by Costco location of when Traeger is there or if they're at all of them? I'm currently not a member at Costco as the closest one is 30 minutes away while Sam's is 5 minutes away.

http://www.traegergrills.com/teamtraeger/classes/

pnoon
04-05-2011, 10:19 PM
Thanks, Aaron.
Pics tomorrow will be of the grill.
Not sure if I'll be cooking on it before the weekend.
I'll be sure and share when I do.

As promised (nothing too special - just a brand new grill)

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i209/pnoon/Misc%20Stuff/IMG_0017.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i209/pnoon/Misc%20Stuff/IMG_0018.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i209/pnoon/Misc%20Stuff/IMG_0020.jpg

Aero95
04-05-2011, 11:03 PM
Very nice Peter so what exactly is the different between the regular model and a elite model? Enjoy :)

pnoon
04-05-2011, 11:08 PM
Very nice Peter so what exactly is the different between the regular model and a elite model? Enjoy :)

Lil Texas Elite vs Lil Texas.
Digital thermostat vs. 3 setting thermostat and wheels on 4 legs vs. wheels on 2 legs are the 2 most notable differences. Grilling area is identical - 19" x 22"

I bought the Texas.
36000 BTU vs 20000 BTU for Lil Texas
Digital thermostat
Grilling area is 19" x 34"

smelly4tay
04-06-2011, 12:23 AM
Wow Peter, that is very nice! You made a great choice! I can't wait to S.H.I.T on it. :r Going to bring a bunch of different TJ's stuff for you to test out on it. :tu

pnoon
04-06-2011, 06:25 AM
Wow Peter, that is very nice! You made a great choice! I can't wait to S.H.I.T on it. :r Going to bring a bunch of different TJ's stuff for you to test out on it. :tu

Now that would be cool. I'll hook you up with some smokes.

Aero95
04-06-2011, 07:48 AM
Now I must convince the wife!

pnoon
04-07-2011, 07:58 AM
Hey Kelly.

:tt

GoatLocker
04-07-2011, 09:07 AM
Hey Kelly.

You know, since Traeger is hitting up the SD area COSTCO's for the next month or so, it would a GREAT time to come down and see the S.H.I.T Crew... :)

CasaDooley
04-07-2011, 11:29 AM
Peter, the one thing I forgot to mention; get yourself a good large grill mat to place under your Traeger to protect that nice patio. I just picked up a new black rubber Diamond tread grill mat at Costco for 12.00 to replace my old one. :tu

poker
04-07-2011, 03:50 PM
Hey Kelly.

Traeger will be at Signal Hill on the Saturday the 16th, so we made plans to pick one up then :tu

TonySmith
04-07-2011, 07:25 PM
Damn you guys

Now I'm looking at one :D

pnoon
04-07-2011, 10:53 PM
Damn you guys

Now I'm looking at one :D

It's all Kelly's fault. He started it. :noon

Aero95
04-08-2011, 11:44 AM
You going to take pics this weekend Peter? BTW what kind of pellets did you buy for it.

pnoon
04-08-2011, 12:05 PM
You going to take pics this weekend Peter? BTW what kind of pellets did you buy for it.
Pics for sure - although it might be raining.

I bought Traeger hickory and mesquite at Costco for $13.69 ea. Only two they had.
Posted via Mobile Device

T.G
04-08-2011, 02:12 PM
I bought Traeger hickory and mesquite at Costco for $13.69 ea. Only two they had.
Posted via Mobile Device

That's kind of a bummer. When they were up here last year, I remember the rep had five or six different types of pellets with him.

Aero95
04-08-2011, 02:16 PM
Peter not that you probably didn't already know this but all these places within 10 miles of your zip code will carry the pellets http://www.traegergrills.com/dealers/92126?radius=10

pnoon
04-08-2011, 02:43 PM
That's kind of a bummer. When they were up here last year, I remember the rep had five or six different types of pellets with him.
I can get the others. It's just that Costco only had the two.
Posted via Mobile Device

TonySmith
04-08-2011, 03:30 PM
Well, I did it. Picked up a Lil Texas Elite, and a bag each of oak and hickory pellets.

I told my wife it was Kelly and Peters fault :D

pnoon
04-08-2011, 03:36 PM
Well, I did it. Picked up a Texas Elite, and a bag each of oak and hickory pellets.

I told my wife it was Kelly and Peters fault :D
:lr
Posted via Mobile Device

TonySmith
04-08-2011, 03:38 PM
She told me to stay away from non cigar threads

T.G
04-08-2011, 04:09 PM
I can get the others. It's just that Costco only had the two.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah, but the food tastes better when the pellets only cost $13.95/bag instead of $21.95. ;)

pnoon
04-08-2011, 04:54 PM
Yeah, but the food tastes better when the pellets only cost $13.95/bag instead of $21.95. ;)

Tru dat.

pnoon
04-18-2011, 01:52 PM
Traeger will be at Signal Hill on the Saturday the 16th, so we made plans to pick one up then :tu
:sh
Posted via Mobile Device

OLS
04-18-2011, 01:57 PM
Peter, the one thing I forgot to mention; get yourself a good large grill mat to place under your Traeger to protect that nice patio. I just picked up a new black rubber Diamond tread grill mat at Costco for 12.00 to replace my old one. :tuOr do like I do and have two, sometimes three dogs who snarl at each other for position
to lick the patio...

markem
04-18-2011, 02:20 PM

:sh
Posted via Mobile Device

He's still trying to figure out the instructions ... they are in English. :tu

poker
04-18-2011, 02:48 PM
ha ha bastage.

No, actually my tax bill forced me to wait a tad longer.

pnoon
04-18-2011, 02:51 PM
ha ha bastage.

No, actually my tax bill forced me to wait a tad longer.
Bummer.
You know, I'll have to taunt you with photos of smoked goodies until you take the plunge.

;s
Posted via Mobile Device

T.G
04-18-2011, 02:52 PM
Bummer.
You know, I'll have to taunt you with photos of smoked goodies until you take the plunge.

;s
Posted via Mobile Device

:np

poker
04-18-2011, 03:05 PM
Bummer.

;s
Posted via Mobile Device

Thats ok Peter. Not getting the Traeger is not an option, the wife already said I can buy one. :r

TonySmith
04-18-2011, 07:15 PM
I've cooked on it 4 times since I purchased it (9 days). Did ribeyes tonight, didn't get the grill marks I wanted, but was still good.

poker
06-11-2011, 05:07 PM
YAY! Just got my new Traeger! Seasoning it as I type this.:tu

GolfNut
06-11-2011, 05:24 PM
YAY! Just got my new Traeger! Seasoning it as I type this.:tu

Congrats!!! It's on my want list. :tu

jonumberone
07-07-2011, 05:37 AM
Wife dragged me to Costco yesterday.
Complete impulse buy.
But I'm now a Traeger owner :D

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab234/jonumberone/cigar/675f502f.jpg?t=1310038361

Now what to cook? :hm

pnoon
07-07-2011, 05:51 AM

Mattso3000
07-07-2011, 05:53 AM
Wife dragged me to Costco yesterday.
Complete impulse buy.
But I'm now a Traeger owner :D

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab234/jonumberone/cigar/675f502f.jpg?t=1310038361

Now what to cook? :hm

Nice...:noon

CasaDooley
07-07-2011, 11:08 AM

jonumberone
08-03-2011, 06:45 AM
Where are the pellet grill owners getting their pellets these days?
I started wit 7 bags that I bought with the grill.
About a month later I'm down to a little over 2.

There was on link for pellets posted in this thread, but they appear to only sell their blend.
Thanks in advance.

pnoon
08-03-2011, 06:46 AM
Where are the pellet grill owners getting their pellets these days?
I started wit 7 bags that I bought with the grill.
About a month later I'm down to a little over 2.

There was on link for pellets posted in this thread, but they appear to only sell their blend.
Thanks in advance.

I use www.dtydirect.com, Dom

jonumberone
08-03-2011, 07:05 AM
Thank you, Peter.
I'll take a look.

forgop
08-21-2011, 06:32 PM
There was a Traeger rep at the state fair today. Offered me the same pricing plan as the Costco since I mentioned it. Still didn't pull the trigger though. I'm gonna browse craislist/ebay/etc long and hard to see if I can get a deal on a used one. Just can't shell out $1k for a smoker (which included the cover, 5 bags of pellets, and some other accessories IIRC).

forgop
08-30-2011, 03:11 PM
A bump for the pellet grill owners...

A guy local to me on BBQ Bretheren was looking for people to do a bulk purchase to save money. He's quoting me a price from BBQ Delight of 1120 lbs worth of pellets (56 bags @ 20# each) for $4.75/bag. If he and I split it, we'd be looking at $193 delivered. That comes out to $6.90/bag compared to the ~$20 bag everywhere else and is still less than half the Costco price.

He's also looking at pricing from another source yet. Just something for those of you who might be somewhat local to one another to consider.

whodeeni
09-05-2011, 09:33 AM
Guy wants 550 for a texas that he bought last november....
That's a good deal isn't it?

pnoon
09-05-2011, 09:37 AM

Assuming it functions properly, that is an excellent deal.
A brand new Texas usually runs $999 at most stores. Costco occasionally has roadshows where they go for $799.

forgop
09-05-2011, 10:49 AM

I'd say go for it! Try to talk him down to $500.

markem
09-05-2011, 11:32 AM

A good price. I have a lil' texas elite that go around here for about $550 new.

One thing to check, if you decide to get it, is that the auger functions properly. In year two, I didn't clear out the auger over the winter and had problems getting it to function again. The problem was that pellets left in the unit swelled and turned to concrete inside the auger tube. Running the wedged auger resulted in a burned out auger motor ($38 including shipping, easy change-out).

I will be removing the pellets to storage and then running the auger until empty every time I use it during our wet winters from now on.

jonumberone
09-05-2011, 03:10 PM
A good price. I have a lil' texas elite that go around here for about $550 new.

One thing to check, if you decide to get it, is that the auger functions properly. In year two, I didn't clear out the auger over the winter and had problems getting it to function again. The problem was that pellets left in the unit swelled and turned to concrete inside the auger tube. Running the wedged auger resulted in a burned out auger motor ($38 including shipping, easy change-out).

I will be removing the pellets to storage and then running the auger until empty every time I use it during our wet winters from now on.

Thanks for the tip, Mark!
I'll be sure to empty the auger and hopper out before storing for the winter.
Before this post, I had zero intentions of doing so!

markem
09-05-2011, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the tip, Mark!
I'll be sure to empty the auger and hopper out before storing for the winter.
Before this post, I had zero intentions of doing so!

I have a vague recollection of the sales guy telling me to do this (or maybe I read it on the website). But since I didn't write it down, it didn't stick. Won't forget anymore, however. :tu

jonumberone
10-18-2011, 06:58 AM

Just wanted to bump this bit of useful information for any Traeger owners like me who are getting ready to pack it up for the winter! :tu

Jenady
10-27-2011, 09:52 AM
Kelly,

I have used a Traeger for many years. If you need to be able to set and forget it they can't be beat. I have literally done hundreds of ponds of ribs, roasts, fish, chicken, and turkey. I can do 13 sides of ribs at one time. I have cooked in 100 degree weather and sub-zero weather. My results are always great!

http://jenady.smugmug.com/Other/2-SmugMug/TraegerSm/207275453_LTpd5-Th.jpg

jonumberone
10-27-2012, 06:02 AM
In year two, I didn't clear out the auger over the winter and had problems getting it to function again. The problem was that pellets left in the unit swelled and turned to concrete inside the auger tube. Running the wedged auger resulted in a burned out auger motor ($38 including shipping, easy change-out).

Bump for Mark's useful information!
Just cleaned mine out.
Once again a hurricane is forcing me to call an end to smoker season. :(

mosesbotbol
10-27-2012, 06:40 AM
Why should the smoker have a season? I use mine all year round. Actually I use it in the winter more often than summer...