11-18-2008, 04:13 PM
1 can Pillsbury Grands biscuits
1 lb. Jimmy Dean Maple sausage
3 T. flour
3 C. half & half
kosher salt
course ground black pepper
fresh ground nutmeg

Everything should be at room temperature before starting to cook, always!

Preheat oven and bake biscuits per instruction on package.

Crumble sausage into a frying pan, cook it until the small bits get dark brown, about 10 minutes.

Sprinkle flour over sausage and stir until the flour has been absorbed, pour about ½ C. of H&H in pan.

With a wooden spoon mix the H&H in while scraping the brown bits stuck to the bottom of the pan up into the sauce. This is known as deglazing, and it’s how to get better depth of flavor in your sauces.

Stir in the remaining H&H cook until the sauce is thick as you like it.

Season gravy with a pinch of salt, black pepper and nutmeg, taste to be sure it’s seasoned to your liking.

Tear biscuits in half cover with gravy.

Jay Hemingway
11-18-2008, 04:48 PM
my favorite breakfast in the entire world!!!
i can't get it where i live up here in jersey. whenever i go to florida or down south i get it every morning for breakfast...OMFG!
crackel barrel used to make it amazing but they have changed their recipe and it isn't as good now.

Darrell
11-18-2008, 04:51 PM
my favorite breakfast in the entire world!!!
i can't get it where i live up here in jersey. whenever i go to florida or down south i get it every morning for breakfast...OMFG!
crackel barrel used to make it amazing but they have changed their recipe and it isn't as good now.

You can't get biscuits and gravy in NJ? :confused:

The grocery store sells all of those ingredients he listed.

Gophernut
11-18-2008, 05:02 PM
I like to add about a 1/2 tsp of crushed red pepper flakes, and a dash of cayenne pepper to give this recipe a little zing. I have never tried the nutmeg in it. Sounds like you like it a little "sweeter".

tobii3
11-18-2008, 05:40 PM

SAN FERNANDO VALLEY?????

That would explain ""1 can Pillsbury Grands biscuits""

Makin' biscuits from a TUBE????

HERESY!!!!

:r:r:r

Gophernut
11-18-2008, 05:55 PM
SAN FERNANDO VALLEY?????

That would explain ""1 can Pillsbury Grands biscuits""

Makin' biscuits from a TUBE????

HERESY!!!!

:r:r:r

I was going to say that, but I thought to each their own.:r:r

kiwi michelle
11-18-2008, 06:15 PM
This is the strangest breakfast I ever had........and one I shall not repeat.......

Must be an american thing!!:D

Cigary
11-18-2008, 07:14 PM
Love the biscuits and gravy and I pretty much use that recipe every time and it's good food kiwimichelle,,,try it one time and you are hooked for life. There is a mix out that takes all the time from mixing the flour and everything else,,,and it's really really good and tastes homeade. For $1.00 its well worth it.

Squid
11-18-2008, 07:41 PM
Love biscuits and gravy, BUT....If my grandma was still alive, she'd take her walker and beat all of you over the head with it for making ANYTHING out of a can!!! If it wasn't cooked from scratch and the sausage wasn't from one of her butchered hogs....then it wasn't fit to be served even to the dogs! :D

Cigary
11-18-2008, 08:14 PM
Love biscuits and gravy, BUT....If my grandma was still alive, she'd take her walker and beat all of you over the head with it for making ANYTHING out of a can!!! If it wasn't cooked from scratch and the sausage wasn't from one of her butchered hogs....then it wasn't fit to be served even to the dogs! :D

For sure about that. My grandma NEVER used anything but scratch materials and it was heaven. One of the things I miss about her.

kiwi michelle
11-18-2008, 08:36 PM
Love the biscuits and gravy and I pretty much use that recipe every time and it's good food kiwimichelle,,,try it one time and you are hooked for life. There is a mix out that takes all the time from mixing the flour and everything else,,,and it's really really good and tastes homeade. For $1.00 its well worth it.

I did try it one time..........maybe the cook at the hotel I was at in San Diego didn't use your recipe;)

livwire68
11-19-2008, 03:18 AM
Love the stuff! I usually use JD hot no nutmeg, I just use black pepper!

Demented
11-19-2008, 04:49 AM
I have never tried the nutmeg in it. Sounds like you like it a little "sweeter".

Nutmeg is spice, not sweetener.

gvarsity
11-19-2008, 08:17 AM
I love biscuits and gravy. I like to add some mushrooms and a tsp of bacon drippings but that just how my dad did it. Home made drop biscuits aren't a lot of work but they are tricky to get right. Just takes practice.

Gophernut
11-19-2008, 08:35 AM
Nutmeg is spice, not sweetener.
I was also thinking about the maple sausage. I usually associate nutmeg with a sweet spicy, not a hot spicy like I make my gravy.

Jay Hemingway
11-19-2008, 10:53 AM
You can't get biscuits and gravy in NJ? :confused:

The grocery store sells all of those ingredients he listed.

hey Mo-Mo.....

"pre-made biscuits and gravy"...

:rolleyes:

yes, i can go to the grocery store and get the gravy-in-a-can GARBAGE and the tube-O-biscuits and enjoy the same flavors one finds in a BOOT!

i'm talkin aboot the "made from scratch" jam! :dr

like the B&G you can only find freshly made south of the dixie line.lol. like from the corner store in texas or the "big mommas" diners in florida or like crackel barrel in georgia and south carolina used to make (they still do, just not as good).

that's what i'm talkin aboot my friend!

i remember when "wawa" tried to put it on their AM menu...close but no cigar!

i don't know about right this second but i moved to FL when i was 12 and came back when i was 14 and there was no such thing as biscuits and gravy to be found up here. not on any breakfast menus at the 4 diners in a 1 square mile vicinity to my house. none at denny's,none at perkins, none!

like i said slappy, you can't get biscuits and gravy up here in JOISEY.:D

omg, i remember like 10 years ago a few friends and i went on a road trip to vermont to snowboard at "okemo" mountain. we stopped at a diner up there called "the damn diner" (i shite you not, that was the name of it, it was near a dam in VT) to eat breakfast before we rode. we all ordered breakfast and i placed an order for biscuits and gravy. she took the order with no problem, 15 minutes later all of our food comes out, orders of eggs,sausage,bacon,pancakes all sorts of good arse breakfast yummies! than she hands me my plate.....................................:bh

it's 4 pillsbury biscuits each the size of half dollars, with BROWN turkey gravy poured all over the top of them...............:eek:
:pu

they just don't do B&G up here in tha norf..
:tg

Darrell
11-19-2008, 12:52 PM
it's 4 pillsbury biscuits each the size of half dollars, with BROWN turkey gravy poured all over the top of them...............:eek:

Now that's vile!

:r Thanks for clarifying. :D

MithShrike
11-19-2008, 01:32 PM
Wow... Jay you have suffered.

My grandma makes a killer sausage and bacon gravy to go on top of the homemade biscuits. Yessiree.

gorob23
11-19-2008, 01:46 PM
This is the strangest breakfast I ever had........and one I shall not repeat.......

Must be an american thing!!:D

Actually I have lived her (USA) all my life never had it, of course I live iN SoCal and we tend to eat different :cool2:

Rob

:c Frick'in Poker making me go to Tommys TWICE BACK TO BACK DAYS last summer:rolleyes:

Rob

Squid
11-19-2008, 02:43 PM
Actually I have lived her (USA) all my life never had it, of course I live iN SoCal and we tend to eat different :cool2:

Rob

:c Frick'in Poker making me go to Tommys TWICE BACK TO BACK DAYS last summer:rolleyes:

Rob

What do they have for breakfast out there... muffins and bean sprouts? :ss

MithShrike
11-19-2008, 02:59 PM

Rob

Rob

I grew up in NorCal and biscuits and gravy was a staple of my family. Granted we were Okies and Arkies only two generations before me.

TXRebel
11-19-2008, 03:10 PM
Any decent truck stop diner should serve biscuits and gravy. Besides homemade, the second best B&G I ever had was from a truck stop.

Jay Hemingway
11-19-2008, 05:35 PM
Any decent truck stop diner should serve biscuits and gravy. Besides homemade, the second best B&G I ever had was from a truck stop.

was it down therrrr in texas?

the best i have ever had was in texas.. it was near tyler and lake palestine. we stayed at a condo on the lake and drove into town (aboot a freakin hour too). there was this old country store slash gas station (like two pumps), looked just like in the movies, the little gas station that is the last one for 100 miles!!

anyway, they had a small kitchen/dining area in the back of the store. there was a big arse sign above the counter that said "biscuits and gravy, fresh and made from scratch from 6:00 am till 11:30" or sumpin like that.
i must have spent $50 on B&G there! lol. destroyed like 3 plates right there and got 3 more to heat up the rest of the week.

OMFG so good! :dr

i have to tell ya those people in there were weird as all heck! texas chainsaw massacre types all around! :D (but they cooked B&G like the gods!)

TXRebel
11-20-2008, 09:31 PM
was it down therrrr in texas?

Believe it or not it was in California.

i have to tell ya those people in there were weird as all heck! texas chainsaw massacre types all around! :D (but they cooked B&G like the gods!)

I’ve been to a few places like that in Arkansas and Mississippi, but not in Texas. :D

tobii3
11-21-2008, 07:01 AM
I grew up in NorCal and biscuits and gravy was a staple of my family. Granted we were Okies and Arkies only two generations before me.

Where exactly do you consider ""NorCal""??

I grew up in Prunedale.....aka "PruneTucky"......Our school had a hitching post for those of us that rode our horse (or pony) to school.....

ahc4353
11-21-2008, 07:08 AM
Bob Evens.......you can actually HEAR your arteries harding.

Sooooooooooooooooooooo Gooooooooooooooooooooood!

Squid
11-21-2008, 05:25 PM

I grew up in Prunedale.....aka "PruneTucky"......Our school had a hitching post for those of us that rode our horse (or pony) to school.....

You must have had a tough time removing your pony from the carousel!!! :r:r:r

MithShrike
11-22-2008, 01:41 PM

I'm from Stockton originally. Grandma and her sisters lived out in Linden and worked the cherry orchards when they were young.

kiwi michelle
11-23-2008, 04:54 PM

Rob

Rob

It was in San Diego that I tried it, the morning after the herf you were suppose to come and smoke with me at;) Slacker!!:D

cvm4
11-23-2008, 06:01 PM
I love regular gravy, but tomato gravy is THE best! I haven't had that in a while.

Darrell
11-25-2008, 01:37 PM
I made some B&G this weekend using this recipe, except I substituted H&H for heavy cream.

I make biscuits from scratch though. None of that Pilsbury BS.

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/6559/bg1fv4.jpg

Mmmmmmm. :dr :dr :dr :dr :dr

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/9044/bg2yz9.jpg

I nom, nom, nomed these. They were delicious. :dr

Try not to drool all over the keyboard, Jay. :D

SmokeyJoe
11-25-2008, 01:39 PM

Amen, Mike! :ss

SmokeyJoe
11-25-2008, 01:41 PM
That's what I am talking about! Nicely done, Double-L. And that looks like the right amount of pepper, too. :dr

I made some B&G this weekend using this recipe, except I substituted H&H for heavy cream.

Darrell
11-25-2008, 01:45 PM
That's what I am talking about! Nicely done, Double-L. And that looks like the right amount of pepper, too. :dr

I don't salt my food, because I don't want high cholesterol (laugh it up, guys :rolleyes:), so I make up for it with pepper. I love pepper on my food. :dr

macpappy
11-25-2008, 03:12 PM
It is so easy to get spoiled...

Venison sausage if you can get it. Made from scratch biscuits hot from the oven. And if you are really hungry add a couple of scrambled eggs to the plate and cover that with the gravy also.

Jay Hemingway
11-26-2008, 10:52 AM
:dr darrel i am going to come by and nom nom all of your B&G!!!

cigars_n_scotch
11-26-2008, 11:25 AM
this is my absolute favorite breaskfast and as Jay stated you cannot get a good meal of B&G here in Jersey. It's a sad affair. My mom makes a good B&G. Now that this post came up, it's time to make this for breakfast this weekend. :dr

Squid
11-26-2008, 06:24 PM

Now THAT looks like one great breakfast!!! I also like a pretty nice sprinkling of pepper, more so than the salt...and it looks like you did that plate just right. It also looks like you had some extra biscuits to sop up the gravy.

What time did you say breakfast was being served???? :dr

mooremedic
11-27-2008, 07:33 AM
:rolleyes:

like i said slappy, you can't get biscuits and gravy up here in JOISEY.:

Damn Jay, we've got great biscuits and gravy everywhere you turn down here....even Hardees has good gravy bro....but if it makes you feel better I can't find pork roll anywhere:rolleyes::D

kiwi michelle
11-27-2008, 02:24 PM

It looks like something my dog brought back up...........:pu:r:r

Kiwi ducks for cover...............

Jay Hemingway
11-27-2008, 06:10 PM

:eek: :fl:c:tg:bx

Squid
11-28-2008, 09:20 AM

Let's see....Good ol sausage gravy and biscuits or.....

kiwi michelle
11-28-2008, 10:02 PM
:eek: :fl:c:tg:bx

Now now - it's not nice to hit a girl....:D

Let's see....Good ol sausage gravy and biscuits or.....

Hey - i hate vegemite - me a marmite girl

Darrell
11-28-2008, 10:04 PM
Now THAT looks like one great breakfast!!! I also like a pretty nice sprinkling of pepper, more so than the salt...and it looks like you did that plate just right. It also looks like you had some extra biscuits to sop up the gravy.

What time did you say breakfast was being served???? :dr

I did not add any salt to the food after I served it, I use pepper instead. It's better for you. :)

Breakfast is 10 am on Sunday, feel free to stop by. :tu

Jay Hemingway
11-29-2008, 02:10 PM
Now now - it's not nice to hit a girl....:D

yes but there are certain lines that shoud not be crossed! (and trashing B&G is one of them little lady!)
:D

taltos
11-30-2008, 05:31 AM
Excellent recipe. The only thing that I do differently is that I make baking powder bisquits from scratch rather than the Pillsbury biscuits.:ss

kiwi michelle
11-30-2008, 05:30 PM
yes but there are certain lines that shoud not be crossed! (and trashing B&G is one of them little lady!)
:D

I like to live dangerously!!

Anyway your biscuits are really scones!!

Ron1YY
11-30-2008, 05:58 PM
I like to live dangerously!!

Anyway your biscuits are really scones!!

:rolleyes: And New Zealand is really Austrailia :r :r

Now I'm going to run and hide

kiwi michelle
11-30-2008, 06:24 PM
:rolleyes: And New Zealand is really Austrailia :r :r

Now I'm going to run and hide

You can run but you can't hide......;)

Squid
12-01-2008, 10:01 AM
You can run but you can't hide......;)

I don't see where you should threaten him....you talk like you are Australian...therefore, you must be Australian!:ss

As far as biscuits or scones....here in North Carolina, scones are what RICH people eat, biscuits is for the rest of us!

kiwi michelle
12-01-2008, 07:14 PM
I don't see where you should threaten him....you talk like you are Australian...therefore, you must be Australian!:ss

As far as biscuits or scones....here in North Carolina, scones are what RICH people eat, biscuits is for the rest of us!

why I oughta.....:bx