PDA

View Full Version : "V" Cutter vs regular straight cut

cmitch
03-28-2011, 07:28 PM
A local bruddah uh de leef has me hooked on the "V" cuts. Usually, if I'm smoking a torpedo, I'll cut it first then apply the V cut. It seems to me it improves the overall pleasure of the smoke. Anyone else use these?

SteveH
03-28-2011, 07:39 PM
I just picked up a Xikar VX cutter on Friday....It sure is 'easier' to use than a guillotine cutter - meaning that its much harder to mess up your stick by taking too much off.
As far as how I like it I can't really say yet. The cigar I was smoking had some construction issues; so I'll reserve judgment for a while. My friend however said that he liked the way that he was able to rest the stick on his tongue more; and there definitely seems to be less (or none) loose tobacco after the cut.

MurphysLaw
03-28-2011, 07:45 PM
I've had the VX for a while, it makes an effortless cut, it's my go-to cutter for just about everything I smoke

T.G
03-28-2011, 08:51 PM
At one time, I went through a phase where I used V-cutters a lot, but now, I only use them occasionally, mostly on larger RG cigars to control the draw.

Stephen
03-29-2011, 05:32 AM
I've had the VX for a while, it makes an effortless cut, it's my go-to cutter for just about everything I smoke
:tpd:

CoreyD
03-29-2011, 06:37 AM
Before using a punch that I do now when I can I used a cutter that had a metal plate on backside preventing me from cutting to deep and just took a lil off cap sometimes depending on the roll you needed to make 2 or 3 cuts especially on torpedoes but I really enjoy it as a noob cutter. Never used a v cut I don't think, or cigar scissors.

pnoon
03-29-2011, 06:40 AM
Before using a punch that I do now when I can I used a cutter that had a metal plate on backside preventing me from cutting to deep and just took a lil off cap sometimes depending on the roll you needed to make 2 or 3 cuts especially on torpedoes but I really enjoy it as a noob cutter. Never used a v cut I don't think, or cigar scissors.

Punctuation is your friend. ;)

Makes reading your posts easier.

Sled Dog
03-29-2011, 11:04 AM
Love the V-cut.... use it almost exclusively on my cigars

Tazziedevil
03-31-2011, 10:30 PM
I'm a fan of the V-cut. I go back to it a lot after straight cuts- I find it is cleaner and leaves fewer shreds of tobacco after cutting.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wolfgang
03-31-2011, 11:39 PM
Im all about the pocket knife. Peel the cap and enjoy your smoke.

jsnake
04-04-2011, 07:45 AM
I like the XIKAR VX

SteveH
04-04-2011, 12:13 PM
2x. Now that I've had it for a week or so; I have to say that its much harder to screw up your cut....

Gophernut
04-04-2011, 02:10 PM
Love the V cut, but don't have a home version. One of the reasons I love smoking at a B&M.

CoreyD
04-04-2011, 07:16 PM
i have been using the punch that came with my lighter for non torpedos and I'm really enjoying that v.s a cut.

mariogolbee
04-04-2011, 08:49 PM
I'm looking forward to picking up one of the Xikar V cutters after reading through this thread. Hell, I was looking forward to picking one up anyway.

cigarlvr
04-04-2011, 09:24 PM
Been using the V cut on the Torpedos and sounded strange to me at first until you try it and forget it after you do that is the only way to smoke a torpedo. I used a boston cutter as most dont cut a deep enough cut. I have used the Wolf but like you have done needs to be cut first

mariogolbee
04-04-2011, 09:35 PM
Been using the V cut on the Torpedos and sounded strange to me at first until you try it and forget it after you do that is the only way to smoke a torpedo. I used a boston cutter as most dont cut a deep enough cut. I have used the Wolf but like you have done needs to be cut first
I tried a V cut on the top of torps a few time with a box cutter. I love the results!

smelly4tay
04-04-2011, 11:16 PM

Got a 5-er of LFD Chisel and straight cut the first 2 and hated the draw. I tried a V-cut on the other 3 and :dr

tx_tuff
04-05-2011, 01:30 PM
I use the V-Cut most of the time, but it's not because I love the cut, its because I love the cutter! Now the Xikar VX but before that was using the Wolf V-Cutter which uses the same blade. Best cutters as far as I'm concerned.

Mugen910
04-05-2011, 01:39 PM
Punctuation is your friend. ;)

Makes reading your posts easier.

I think V-cutters are pretty cool I use my palio a lot because v-cutters don't do well with smaller RG I'm not a fan of carrying around a V-cutter and Palio just to cut a cigar depending on size.

:r

Chavez
04-05-2011, 02:16 PM
I've used a v cut on robusto and toro sized smokes and have been pleasantly surprised! I think the last one was on a Traviata, one my more favorite smokes on the market right now. Never thought about putting this cut on a torp. Gonna have to give it a try now though...

I think what I really like about a v cut is that is maintains the construction on the cap really well. I'm sure we have all had the pleasure of peeling of a ring or two from our cap as we smoke. Kind of a pain sometimes. Never had that problem with a v cut though...

txsmoke
04-05-2011, 03:40 PM
I use my V cutter quite a bit!

vzontini
04-05-2011, 07:20 PM
I also use the Xikar VX cutter quite a bit, though not on torpedos. I use the Palio on those. The VX cuts effortlessly. It is a great tool.

I'm an accessory junkie so I currently have the Xikar VX V-cutter, Xikar MX scissors, Xikar 007 punch, the Palio guillotine cutter, Drew Estate Bulletproof cutter, and more. I ordered Room 101 Limited 213 custom Xikar cutter with the skull motif but sent it back because the handles were poorly attached. Looking at the Xikar 3D Mayan as an alternative.

For general carry I usually go to the Xikar MX scissors because they fold up compactly and are functional for just about any cigar. But at home I use what works best with a particular cigar. I've found different tools work for different cigars or at least that is what I tell myself. LOL.

CigarRod
04-05-2011, 07:32 PM
I have a V cutter and a punch, and I prefer the punch. Reading all these I feel bad in saying that but hey is what it is, i always ffind myself sliding it a couple times because if i don't I get crap in my mouth. So i do it every now and then but just my limited experience.