PDA

View Full Version : Goose Island to be aquired by Anheuser‑Busch

newcigarz
03-28-2011, 07:55 AM
CHICAGO (March 28, 2011) - Chicago-based Goose Island, one of the nation's most‑respected and fastest-growing small brewers with sales concentrated throughout the Midwest, today announced it had agreed to be acquired by Anheuser‑Busch, its current distribution partner, in a move that will bring additional capital into Goose Island's operations to meet growing consumer demand for its brands and deepen its Chicago and Midwest distribution.

full article:

http://beeradvocate.com/forum/read/3645461

RevSmoke
03-28-2011, 08:01 AM
That is too bad. Everytime micro- or craft-brewers are joined to big brewing companies (Miller, A-B, Coors, etc..), the quality of their brews drops significantly.

icehog3
03-28-2011, 08:17 AM
That is too bad. Everytime micro- or craft-brewers are joined to big brewing companies (Miller, A-B, Coors, etc..), the quality of their brews drops significantly.

If that happens, that sucks. GI makes several of my favorite beers and seasonal releases.

RevSmoke
03-28-2011, 08:23 AM

If that happens, that sucks. GI makes several of my favorite beers and seasonal releases.

I happened to Leinenkugel when it was bought out by Miller. Great beers became watered down pee-water.

I pray it doesn't happen either, for I enjoy a number of Goose Island brews.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

CoreyD
03-28-2011, 08:25 AM
I'm still awaiting for someone to piss on the great tasting New Glarus Brewing Company that same way they did leinies

IBQTEE1
03-28-2011, 08:34 AM
This is not going to be a good thing. I am going to hold on to my bottles of Bourbon County Stout.

kaisersozei
03-28-2011, 09:10 AM
Isn't this similar to the A-B/Redhook deal a few years ago? My memory is fading, but IIRC Redhook was challenged in getting their product distributed much past the Rockies so they did a deal with the devil and it ultimately helped them out.

kydsid
03-28-2011, 09:17 AM
I can only hope they see the light and do what Yuengling did and walk away. As noted above I don't think a single merger of a craft brewery to one of the major two breweries in the US has done anything but ruin the craft beer.

RIP

Rolling Rock
Leinenkugel
Posted via Mobile Device

awsmith4
03-28-2011, 09:17 AM
Isn't this similar to the A-B/Redhook deal a few years ago? My memory is fading, but IIRC Redhook was challenged in getting their product distributed much past the Rockies so they did a deal with the devil and it ultimately helped them out.

From what I remember Redhook was mediocre before and mediocre now :D

I would imagine that GI will benefit for a while but some of the special stuff, like BCBS Rare, might be in trouble if the beers are deemed to not have enough financial reward for the effort it takes to make them.

BeerAdvocate
03-28-2011, 10:55 AM
I hope they dont start brewing with Corn & Rice!

awsmith4
03-28-2011, 02:06 PM
Looks like the first big change has already taken place

http://www.gooseisland.com/pages/press_release_03_28_2011/216.php

Zeuceone
03-28-2011, 02:09 PM
the local micro brewery has anhesuser-busch distribute there product 100miles away from the brewery.

icehog3
03-28-2011, 02:37 PM
the local micro brewery has anhesuser-busch distribute there product 100miles away from the brewery.

So will it still be an independant brewery with A-B just involved in distribution?

Zeuceone
03-28-2011, 03:46 PM
So will it still be an independant brewery with A-B just involved in distribution?

thats what they said. a lot of people brought up the point about them still being independant. they responded with A/B just distributing for them.

MikeyC
03-28-2011, 04:07 PM
I hope they dont start brewing with Corn & Rice!

Adjuncts = :sl

My understanding is that Coors doesn't even use rice anymore they use some kind of liquid adjunct.

Almost every state by law require a 3 tiered alcoholic beverage distribution system. Here is how it works:

Brewer -> Distributor -> Retailer -> Consumer

The brewer has to sell to the distributor who in turn sells to the retailer. It's the stupidest most antiquated system in all of retail sales. They spend a lot of time talking about it in the documentary "Beer Wars." AB happens to own a large number of distributorships across the country. It doesn't mean they have any hand or ownership interest what so ever in the beer they are distributing. They basically just act as a middle man in the sale of the beer.

From what I remember Redhook was mediocre before and mediocre now :D

Reedhook is TERRIBLE. I thought I had read that AB had a small ownership interest in GI before this anyway. Yeungling should have sold to AB their lager tastes like a high-end Bud anyway. :D

mariogolbee
03-28-2011, 04:33 PM
And you just recently introduced me to an excellent Goose Island Root Beer.:(

RevSmoke
03-28-2011, 07:31 PM
And you just recently introduced me to an excellent Goose Island Root Beer.:(

Yes, I also hope that it doesn't touch the sodas. We will wait and see.

backwoods357
03-28-2011, 08:26 PM
Maybe some of it will start to show up out here in the south. :dr
Great PNW beer is what I miss most. I've only been able to find Rouge and Stone out here and only for a small fortune, unless I'm willing to drive a long way. I really wish I could get my hands on some of the smaller brewery's stuff.

awsmith4
03-29-2011, 08:04 AM
Maybe some of it will start to show up out here in the south. :dr
Great PNW beer is what I miss most. I've only been able to find Rouge and Stone out here and only for a small fortune, unless I'm willing to drive a long way. I really wish I could get my hands on some of the smaller brewery's stuff.

We have a fantastic selection here in GA. I agree GI would be a welcome addition we definitely get better than just Stone and Rouge.

I am not sure of the stores close to you but within 10-15mins you could be at any of these: Mink's on Delk has a good selection and a pretty knowledgeable staff. Sherlocks and Total Wine on Barrett near the mall have good selections and Micheal's over by me on Whitlock has a good selection too. While we may not get GI and Deschutes we do get Bell's, Founders, Oskar Blues, Hoppin Frog, Terrapin, Sweetwater, Southern Tier and a good list of others. If you are willing to go into town, Green's and Hop City have amazing selections.

backwoods357
03-29-2011, 10:33 PM
Wow! I've been to total wine, haven't heard of any of the others. I'll have to check them out. TW had a decent selection of imports but many of the single bottles were in the $5-8 range. When i was there I grabbed a couple decent oatmeal stouts. I loved Sweet Water's winter seasonal, I'm pretty impressed with some of their brews. Thanks Albert!

Bill86
03-29-2011, 10:49 PM
Wow, I've never had GI but why would they sell out to Anheuser‑Busch?

icehog3
03-30-2011, 07:48 AM
Wow, I've never had GI but why would they sell out to Anheuser‑Busch?

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa73/icehog3/cash.jpg

Wanger
03-30-2011, 08:26 AM
Looks like the first big change has already taken place

http://www.gooseisland.com/pages/press_release_03_28_2011/216.php

I like the Deschutes brews I've had, so I wouldn't expect a huge drop-off...just my :2 :)