PDA

View Full Version : The Cigar gods are angry with me...

oooo35980
03-23-2011, 11:22 PM
So after buying a few cigars at the Navy Exchange, and finding them dry and tasteless. I decided to make a trip the AF base to see if they had a decent humidor. When I walked in the humidor was standing open, but the Hygrometer read 61rh 71f. Not ideal but better than the NEX where the hygrometer's battery was dead and god only knows what the conditions were in there.

I picked up 2 AF 8-5-8, a Cuesta-Rey #95, AF curly head, and Brick-House Toro. Then I went to grab an "El Baton" that had "Cigar Afficianado rated 91" on it. When I picked it up I noticed it was riddled with holes, as were several others in that box as well as the box adjacent to it (Also El Baton). I read a thread a few days ago about bugs and had no problems identifying tobacco beetles (Thanks CA). The things had eaten through the cellophane and all. I let the nice lady behind the counter know she had a problem and removed the offending boxes from the humidor for her. But I went ahead and bought the ones I had already picked out after I made sure they werent infested, on the outside anyway.

Was that a bad move? Im almost afraid to smoke these now, I only bought five and I'll have em smoked by Sunday probably so I'm not too worried about freezing them to kill the bugs, but should I have bought them at all? I don't want to be smoking a cigar and hear that wonderful "POP!" that you get when some insect gets set on fire and explodes. I'd prolly toss my cookies right then and there.

emopunker2004
03-23-2011, 11:24 PM
So after buying a few cigars at the Navy Exchange, and finding them dry and tasteless. I decided to make a trip the AF base to see if they had a decent humidor. When I walked in the humidor was standing open, but the Hygrometer read 61rh 71f. Not ideal but better than the NEX where the hygrometer's battery was dead and god only knows what the conditions were in there.

I picked up 2 AF 8-5-8, a Cuesta-Rey #95, AF curly head, and Brick-House Toro. Then I went to grab an "El Baton" that had "Cigar Afficianado rated 91" on it. When I picked it up I noticed it was riddled with holes, as were several others in that box as well as the box adjacent to it (Also El Baton). I read a thread a few days ago about bugs and had no problems identifying tobacco beetles (Thanks CA). The things had eaten through the cellophane and all. I let the nice lady behind the counter know she had a problem and removed the offending boxes from the humidor for her. But I went ahead and bought the ones I had already picked out after I made sure they werent infested, on the outside anyway.

Was that a bad move? Im almost afraid to smoke these now, I only bought five and I'll have em smoked by Sunday probably so I'm not too worried about freezing them to kill the bugs, but should I have bought them at all? I don't want to be smoking a cigar and hear that wonderful "POP!" that you get when some insect gets set on fire and explodes. I'd prolly toss my cookies right then and there.

Freezer

mariogolbee
03-24-2011, 01:09 AM
Freezer

No dice. A freezer is a great solution if you're planning on storing them long term. But you're going to smoke them before the week's end, so just smoke them, and don't get sticks in that condition next time. Also, don't put them in with any other sticks you may have for now.

oooo35980
03-24-2011, 01:38 AM
So I should have just steered clear of that humidor? I've read up on beetles but can't seem to find anything about how fast they spread through a humidor.

NCRadioMan
03-24-2011, 02:39 AM
Sounds like you don't have much choice unless you start to mail order. I wouldn't write them off just yet.

If you go in again, be sure to inspect what you are buying carefully. Then keep them separate from your other stored cigars and freeze if you plan on keeping them a while. The beetles could have started to hatch in transit to the shop so the they could just be a victim of circumstance too.

The conditions you found sound good, to me. Ready to smoke right out of the humidor.

:2

dannyboy
03-24-2011, 04:54 AM
Those conditions seem OK as far as rh and temp go. Hawaii can be tough with the beetles, since most places can get into the 80's daily unless there is climate control (not always the case in many places). I used to keep my cigars in a desktop and found one cigar with a beetle hole - went right out and got a small vinotemp for temperature control. I now keep a close eye on my sticks and have them in locations that stay cool. Beetles can also appear in a box here or there and not spread to the other boxes. So long as the cigars you bought have no holes, you should be ok since you are not storing them for a long period.

When you live in Hawaii, mail order is the way to go. Cigar International, New Havana, Corona, etc have always been good to me and I usually get the cigars within a week of ordering. Also, check out the cigar shops around town, I know there is one by the convention center right next to the Ala Moana hotel and if you pm jdakine, he can point you to a couple others that are good. Taxes are high, and thus so are the prices, but knowledgable staff, proper storage conditions, and a good selections of singles to try may be worth the extra investment.

If you are ever on Maui, let me know, we herf a couple times every week and would enjoy having you.

CoreyD
03-24-2011, 05:37 AM
If you are ever on Maui, let me know, we herf a couple times every week and would enjoy having you.
I'm assuming that he could just swim or boat there eh? I mean how close are these islands.

BamBam
03-24-2011, 06:09 AM
Read this thread by Silverfox, follow the instructions and you will have no worries.

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=7919&highlight=science+freezing

I have used it on my entire collection because of increasing temperatures in the summer in my humi, and fortunately have never had an outbreak.

As far as the RH at 61% and the temp at 71 F, I wouldn't worry about that. I store my entire collection at 65%, and have heard of some storing them at around 60% or even as low as the high 50%s (less than 60% would make me a little nervous though).

Hope it helps.

68TriShield
03-24-2011, 06:11 AM
Don't concern yourself with smoking beetle infested cigars,it add flavor :)

Ashcan Bill
03-24-2011, 08:02 AM
Don't concern yourself with smoking beetle infested cigars,it add flavor :)

Not to mention a bit of protein to your diet. :tu

OLS
03-24-2011, 08:11 AM
As you smoke, listen for little POPs...no, I am not kidding. You will be fine, though.

oooo35980
03-24-2011, 10:50 AM
Okie Dokie then, thanks guys. I smoked the Cuesta Rey last night and nothing weird happened, it was surprisingly good, really mild, but good. I plan on buyin online I'm just not there yet. Still figuring out what I like before I start buying lots of cigars. I pretty much just buy it then smoke it at this point. Which is expensive in Hawaii except for the military stores. I wish the NEX humidor was in good condition, thy have a huge selection.

shilala
03-24-2011, 10:55 AM
I'm glad you just manned up and smoked them. Like the guys said, it won't hurt you a bit. What you really want to be concerned about is bringing the bugs to your stocked humi, then leaving it unattended and hot. That's like a beetle factory.
The whole beetle thing gets blown way out of proportion, much like lots of things. Shaun's article is a good read, and it'll take the scare out for ya. :tu

T.G
03-24-2011, 10:56 AM
As you smoke, listen for little POPs...no, I am not kidding. You will be fine, though.

And if you get a few beetles bursting all at the same time...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ahuvxRitU74/SHjNC-tSu2I/AAAAAAAAHRE/Rg6bbGMKcIc/s400/ExplodingCigar.JPG

oooo35980
03-24-2011, 11:11 AM
I think I'm gonna go outta my way not to listen to the little pops. "Mmm what's that fricasseed beetle innard flavor on the back of my palate."

Aero95
03-24-2011, 11:18 AM
Have you joined the newbie sampler trade yet? You would definitely get great smokes that have been taken care of.

BloodSpite
03-24-2011, 11:54 AM

Must be a Navy or AF thing. In the Army we ate bugs :D

mariogolbee
03-24-2011, 11:58 AM
So I should have just steered clear of that humidor? I've read up on beetles but can't seem to find anything about how fast they spread through a humidor.

By that condition I mean with holes in them. You don't need to steer clear of the retailer per se, I simply suggest not purchasing sticks with apparent beetle damage.

oooo35980
03-24-2011, 11:59 AM
I hit my quota of bugs from the galley food. If can keep from eating or inhaling bugs I definately will :D.

I didn't buy any of the ones with holes, I just pulled a punch out and gave them to the chick behind the counter.

mariogolbee
03-24-2011, 12:06 PM
I didn't buy any of the ones with holes, I just pulled a punch out and gave them to the chick behind the counter.
:tu You should be all set then. I guess the cigar gods have shined on you after all.;)

oooo35980
03-24-2011, 12:46 PM
:tu You should be all set then. I guess the cigar gods have shined on you after all.;)

Thank goodness, hopefully they'll get their bug problems fixed and I can go grab a few more. It's a small humidor so it will be good to buy some that I know I like, not alot of opportunity to try anything new though.