PDA

View Full Version : Tabletop cutters?

Cornrow_Wallis
03-20-2011, 11:34 AM
I searched, couldn't find anything. Sorry if it's a repost.

Anyone have one? Like it? I found one on craigslist and thought it would be kind of cool to sit beside my desktop. The ad said vintage so my only concern would be if the blades are still sharp. If not, do you guys think I could replace them?

It's pretty cheap, so worst case it would end up as a paper weight.

T.G
03-20-2011, 11:51 AM
Some tabletop cutters have a replaceable blade, some don't, most can be professionally sharpened if you can disassemble them (ie: not riveted construction). While I've never tried the following, I have heard some people claim success in deburring those with inaccessible blades by crumpling a sheet of aluminum foil into a tube and chopping it up with the cutter, not exactly sharpening, but it helped, or so they claimed.

Due to the small image size and lack of clarity, it's hard to tell what can be done with the cutter you posted.

If you like the idea of it as a decoration, just go for it regardless, especially if the price is reasonable, as generally speaking, decent tabletop cutters are not cheap.

Volusianator
03-20-2011, 12:05 PM
Keep it as a decoration and get yourself a nice Xikar.

T.G
03-20-2011, 12:08 PM
Keep it as a decoration and get yourself a nice Palio.

Fixed :D

md4958
03-20-2011, 12:24 PM

:tpd:
Ditto on the Palio.

Volusianator
03-20-2011, 12:35 PM

No way, I got several Palios and like those cutters, but IMHO, the one below is bar none the sharpest most clean straight cutter on the planet. It's all I use now.

http://www.xikar.com/images/product/107cf.jpg

T.G
03-20-2011, 12:46 PM
Way, I got several Xikars and like those cutters, but IMHO, the one below is bar none the sharpest most clean straight cutter on the planet. It's all I use now.

http://paliocutters.com/images/2009_black_palio.jpg

Word. :D

joeobx
03-20-2011, 01:50 PM
The table top cutter look cool, if its cheap I say go for it.

Palio :tu, Xikar :tu:tu:tu

Volusianator
03-20-2011, 02:22 PM
Word. :D

OK, do you own Palio or something?! :r

Cornrow_Wallis
03-20-2011, 03:44 PM
Looked around on google and this one seems to the same one, so I'll probably skip it.

http://www.tophatcigar.com/a.cfm/Accessories/Cigar-Accessories/Cigar-Cutters-Punch/Tabletop-Cigar-Cutter-BA10420.html

thecatch83
03-20-2011, 04:52 PM

+1

How's those stock options working out :r

Frodo
03-20-2011, 08:32 PM

Palio owners seem to be uber passionate about their cutters - moreso than other owners. I like the Xikar teardrop cutters myself but I can see the quality in the Palios myself having owned one.

Volusianator
03-20-2011, 09:14 PM
Palio owners seem to be uber passionate about their cutters - moreso than other owners. I like the Xikar teardrop cutters myself but I can see the quality in the Palios myself having owned one.

I understand, I own several Palios, I just believe the Xikar Ultra Slim is far superior.