PDA

View Full Version : Need help deciding on a knife

Wolfgang
03-19-2011, 05:15 PM
Im looking at picking up a knife for everyday use. Something that will slip into my dockers nicely while Im at work (Best Buy). I also want something that isnt flimsy as I need to break down cardboard boxes from time to time. The two I have in mind are a Zero Tolerance 0200 and a Piranha Mini bodyguard.

http://www.bladehq.com/images/knives/kershaw/kershawzerotolerance0200front.jpg

Steel: 154CM stainless-steel with Tungsten DLC coating
Handle: 3D machined, G-10 in matte black
Blade Length: 3 7/8 in. (9.8 cm)
Closed Length: 5 1/4 in. (13.3 cm)
Weight: 7.7 oz.

or

http://www.bladehq.com/imgs/shop-by-brand/all-piranha/piranha-miniguard-lime-green-tactical.jpg

Overall Length: 6.6"
Blade Length: 2.9"
Blade Thickness: .10"
Blade Steel: CPM-S30V, 60 RC
Handle Material: 6061-T6 Aluminum
Closed Length: 3.7"
Weight: 1.8 oz.
Made in USA

What do the masses say?

floydpink
03-19-2011, 05:18 PM
Take a look at Kershaw, they make some sharp knives.

I love mine.

Bill86
03-19-2011, 05:21 PM
I would get a full size body guard or the mini, even though I prefer a blade over 3.5 inches. I had a ZT 301 and I wasn't impressed at all, I got rid of it for a Strider SMF. For my pocket sized Auto I got a MT Ultratech, not very sheeple friendly but it does it's job.

So my vote is the Piranha, I would be careful though seeing as that is an automatic knife. At least it's not an OTF though.

Have you considered a 912-913 Benchmade? Those can be had for right around $100-$120 and I must say they do an excellent job with boxes. I prefer the tanto though, I had both of them. The assisted opening is wicked fast too. *not an automatic*

Another worthwhile point is Benchmades CS is just about the best out there in the knife world.

Bill86
03-19-2011, 05:22 PM
Take a look at Kershaw, they make some sharp knives.

I love mine.

Zero tolerance is made by Kershaw they just do collaborations with other knife makers to produce a more high quality and durable knife then there original line.

The recent one they made with Rick Hinderer is a heck of a knife for $200-$220 ISH. I still would go with a Strider though for durability if that is what you need.

EDIT no Zero Tolerance knife is slipping into any pants pockets, they are gigantic and not very light in the pocket.

Wolfgang
03-19-2011, 05:31 PM
I would get a full size body guard or the mini, even though I prefer a blade over 3.5 inches. I had a ZT 301 and I wasn't impressed at all, I got rid of it for a Strider SMF. For my pocket sized Auto I got a MT Ultratech, not very sheeple friendly but it does it's job.

So my vote is the Piranha, I would be careful though seeing as that is an automatic knife. At least it's not an OTF though.

Have you considered a 912-913 Benchmade? Those can be had for right around $100-$120 and I must say they do an excellent job with boxes. I prefer the tanto though, I had both of them. The assisted opening is wicked fast too. *not an automatic*

Another worthwhile point is Benchmades CS is just about the best out there in the knife world.

Im not super worried about the sheeple friendliness I usually carry a UTX85 or LUDT and havent gotten anything but compliments from customers. Im holding out for the New Lone Wolf Trask (produced under benchmade) for my next blade.

If I may ask what diddnt you like about your ZT (Keep in mind a ~$130 knife and a ~$500 cant be compared apples to apples.)

DMK
03-19-2011, 05:53 PM
Pick them both up and play with them. Pick the one that 'feels' best in your hand. What I like and carry probably wouldn't work for you...

Bill86
03-19-2011, 05:56 PM
Sure I hear ya, I bought my brother a UTX85 he carries it all the time. He only likes OTF Autos so I figured that would be a good start.

I got my SMF for $360 but I get your point, they aren't cheap at all. Bombproof though so it's worth it IMO.

The ZT blade shape isn't the most useful, it's heavy as all hell and the blade came with like a 65/35 lockup that touched the backspacer. Made an annoying click every time it closed. You could say I got a bad one or whatever even though it was NIB but it's definitely heavy and has a less than useful blade shape. The 301 was like 8.2-8.5 oz your's is 7.7 but don't get me wrong that's still heavy as hell.

I just think for your application the blade shape on the Piranha is much more useful. Also it's very light weight and no doubt carries MUCH better than the ZT. I think with dockers that's the way to go. If you were wearing jeans something like a 5-6 oz knife isn't too bad. Even still I found the ZT @ over 8oz's to really bring my pants down.

This of course is just all my opinions and experiences. YMMV

Also worth mentioning that the CPM S30V is a very nice steel which I would say is easily superior to the 154CM.

WyoBob
03-19-2011, 09:17 PM
I have a Benchmade "Griptilian" that I bought 12 years ago. It seems like I use it on a daily basis and I've never sharpened it on a stone. Just used a steel.

After owning Buck's and Kershaw's for years, I think the Benchmade is quite a bit better. Though I liked the Kershaws (and still have a few around in drawer's), the Benchmades are superior and light years ahead of "Buck".

I got a Cabela's catalog the other day that had a model of the Benchmade (with the "axis lock" which I much prefer) for $40.00. I think it was a bit shorter than the "Grip" that I own and almost bought one for a spare but I think my wife tossed the flier. (She's cagey that way.)

WyoBob

Wolfgang
03-19-2011, 09:25 PM
I agree the Grips and mini grips are wonderful knives.

I probably should have prefaced that Im a knife collector looking for a reason to buy another blade lol

Family photo
http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/315/a/9/knife_family_by_wolfgang8810-d32mwmq.jpg

Wolfgang
03-19-2011, 09:55 PM
Dont forget to Vote Bruddas!

Bill86
03-19-2011, 09:58 PM
:r :r I'm the only Piranha vote :r :r

MurphysLaw
03-20-2011, 08:32 AM
I say the Zero Tolerance just because you'll be using it to cut cardboard and the blade is a lot more substantial looking.

replicant_argent
03-20-2011, 09:05 AM
Could you have picked two more vastly different knives?
I carry a ZT0350, and it most certainly is carry-able in a pocket, however the width of the blade and handle and the edges may preclude use of that pocket without taking a scratch or gouge out of the back of your hand. A dedicated pocket such as in tac-lites work well, or for me, a knife like that rides in the corner of a cargo pocket. The bearing surface of the ZT vs. the piranha is larger (wider) and would probably be better in a torsional sense. It is MUCH heavier, but some things are acceptable for size and weight constraints and the weight may be one of the lesser important qualities. Steel choice? 154CM vs. S30V. Tough. I would also look at the pocket edge shredibility factor. That G10 will likely treat a pair of regular khakis like a squeaky toy at a dogpound. Factor in a couple extra pairs a year to look sharp if you want to carry an aggressive G10 handled knife for heavy work edc use. Love the DLC coatings on the ZT knives, and the pearlescent nature of it pleases me, especially in bright light. The aluminum treatment on the Piranha is also highly attractive however. The slight compound curve on the ZT will be slightly more difficult to sharpen, but has a great belly. The Piranha is a load lighter, would be more pocketable, has no real belly and will be easy to sharpen, but during hard edc work, you will be using that point quite a bit more, not only putting wear on the slimmer profile of the point of it, but subjecting it to much more stresses than a knife with a deeper belly. Deep, safe finger choil on the ZT, none on the Piranha, How sweaty are your hands, and do you like them not slipping forward on a piece of surgically sharp steel?

Pick 2 more similar knives, repost a poll, and then I will vote. ;)

Bill86
03-20-2011, 01:00 PM
Pete makes some good points but considering that it is just cardboard boxes I don't see that giving any sharp knife of good quality much trouble. I will say the ZTs do come scary sharp not sure on the Piranha.

Or you could always sell off 4-5 of those knives you collect and get a Rick Hinderer XM-18 3.5 inch. There isn't a better knife on the planet. They carry well, not too heavy, great slicing blade and are built like slim profile tanks. I only wish I could afford one.

longknocker
03-22-2011, 02:53 PM
I Voted Zero Tolerance Just Because I Like The Look & Heft, Better, Mark. Never Had One, Though. Either Choice Would Work For Cutting Cardboard, Though. My Boss At Work Uses A Small Automatic Benchmade Everyday For Cutting Just About Everything. Very Nice Action, It's Not Too Large To Carry In Your Pocket & Doesn't Scare People.:D

longknocker
03-22-2011, 02:56 PM
What About This One?
http://www.bladehq.com/item--Benchmade-Impel--4802

Wolfgang
03-22-2011, 03:05 PM
Its nice but the blade length is a little lacking at under 2" HOWEVER if I was in California id be all over that.

captain53
03-23-2011, 06:24 AM
What About This One?
http://www.bladehq.com/item--Benchmade-Impel--4802

If I had the luxury of living in an auto-knife legal State I would for sure be owning one of these. Really nice pocket piece.

Old Saying - The longer the knife the greener the hunter!

wayner123
03-23-2011, 06:57 AM
I voted but didn't comment til now. I would think that if you are going to be using it for work, that the ZT will be a pain sliding off your Docker's. It looks to me like it would grab a lot on the way out. If you are doing this multiple times a day, You could ruin a pair of pants.

You can always check out youtube reviews and see what those people think as well.

kydsid
03-23-2011, 07:19 AM
I vote neither one. If you are going to be opening packaging/breaking down boxes you need a partially serrated blade. cardboard will dull even the best knife. years of opening boxes for me and the only non-serrated knife i ever liked was a cold steel and that still didnt see much use.
Posted via Mobile Device

BloodSpite
03-23-2011, 07:48 AM
I agree with Kydsid. If it's just for boxes etc, serrated is the better option. less fuss, no muss, and it's not a question of sharpening on a regular basis.

If your looking for just a simple pocketknife I'd recommend the Gerber AR 3.5
It's simple, light weight, clips, and has a lock mechanism. The blade holds it's edge well also. Can't go wrong with the price either. Failing that a SOG Vulcan Mini is an excellent frequent carry blade.

If your looking for something to double as a self defense, I'd recommend looking at Kershaw, as someone else also recommended.

If your wanting something just straight up self defense I'd look at a Fällkniven F1 3G or a S1. A Mora series Bushcraft would work well also

If your wanting just a insane blade then look at something made by Jeff Fisher or for my money an ASEK but thats overkill for what your doing by far.