PDA

View Full Version : Quick question for a Lawyer

BeerAdvocate
03-18-2011, 10:45 AM
Do Lawyers have to have a license to practice in different counties, or just different states?

Average Joe
03-18-2011, 11:23 AM
I'm no lawyer, but every practicing lawyer must be licensed by the state bar.

If you have any complaints about the lawyer, even about not returning calls when you're paying him, contact your state bar.

croatan
03-18-2011, 11:30 AM
Do Lawyers have to have a license to practice in different counties, or just different states?

Nope. Just a state thing (at least to my knowledge).

kydsid
03-18-2011, 12:15 PM
Nope. Just a state thing (at least to my knowledge).

well are you a lawyer or did you just sleep in a holliday inn? :p
Posted via Mobile Device

Blindjimme
03-18-2011, 12:37 PM
I am not a lawyer, but 37 years of Law and Order....:r Yes, they need a license for that country. They can work for an American law firm in another country, but not independently as a Lawyer for hire. If a state has reciprocative laws with another state, you can practice in multiple states. :tu

yourchoice
03-18-2011, 12:45 PM

I am not a lawyer, but 37 years of Law and Order....:r Yes, they need a license for that country. They can work for an American law firm in another country, but not independently as a Lawyer for hire. If a state has reciprocative laws with another state, you can practice in multiple states. :tu

Um...he said "counties", i.e., county...no "r". :)

GolfNut
03-18-2011, 12:47 PM
Um...he said "counties", i.e., county...no "r". :)

well, his handle IS Blindjimme afterall....:sl:D

Blindjimme
03-18-2011, 01:02 PM
Wow, all that Braille work on Wikipedia for nothing :r:r Why / where would they have a county license? I'm not gonna look up that one :=:

BigCat
03-18-2011, 01:04 PM
I'm a lawyer. It is by state.

ade06
03-18-2011, 01:43 PM
I'm a lawyer. Ditto regarding license by state, but it depends on what you are doing (for example if a lawyer is only licensed in MD, they cannot go to court on behalf of a client for a matter in VA (unless they are admitted pro hac vice into VA), but a MD lawyer could represent a client buy or sell a DE company, since they don't have to appear before a court to handle the transaction). Note that of course there are exceptions to all examples and the degree of permitted representation varies greatly depending on the facts of the matter.

Regarding international law, whenever we do a deal (or litigation for that matter) that involves another country, we always engage another law firm from that country to interpret and advise us on their laws.

croatan
03-18-2011, 01:48 PM
well are you a lawyer or did you just sleep in a holliday inn? :p
Posted via Mobile Device

Pretty sure you know the answer to that one...

...I never stay at Holiday Inns. ;)