PDA

View Full Version : Good deal?

oooo35980
03-17-2011, 12:06 PM
So the guy where I buy my cigars has a few boxes of La Gloria Cubanas that he says not many people can get. Apparently they were rolled 3 years ago and were the last batch that the company founder had anything to do with before General Cigar told him to go away. The box says they were made in Miami by Ernesto Perez-Carrillo. The band just says "La Gloria Cubanas".

I told him to hold a box for me and I'd smoke one and do some research. The cigar is hands down the best I've had, but I'm also very new to cigar smoking so that might not be saying alot, and I'm not sure if I'm ready to drop 200 bucks on a box of cigars just yet, with so many cigars in easy reach that I've yet to try.

As for the research... I can find alot of history on La Gloria Cubana, but nothing about these specific cigars. I was hoping someone here could tell me if this is something I should jump at or not.

dannysguitar
03-17-2011, 12:13 PM
Sounds like the Artesanos de Miami. Check this out.

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/prodDisp.asp?item=CS-LGB&cat=3

oooo35980
03-17-2011, 12:15 PM
The cigar looks similar, but the box I'm thinking of buying is bright yellow and on the front it says something to the effect of "made in Miami by Ernesto Perez-Carillo"

Found a picture of the exact box online, ok so it isn't bright yellow I guess lol

shilala
03-17-2011, 12:22 PM
I was gonna say, "regardless, it's 100 bucks too much for LGC's", but I have no idea what your cigar taxes are like over there.
If you really like them, offer him $150 and see what shakes. I think that'd be fair, even if it's still too much. As long as you like them, ya know?
As far as the provenance story goes, I wouldn't even take that into consideration for a second. It may or may not be true, but regardless, it has little or no bearing on the value of the cigar.
Whether you like them or not has lots of bearing on the value of the cigar weighed against the asking price. :tu

MajorCaptSilly
03-17-2011, 12:26 PM
I love LGCs but don't any reason to spend $200 on a box of them. The LGCs distributed by General don't taste any different to me and can be had for well under $100 for the regular line. They are good cigars but not $200 good as far as I'm concerned.

MCS

oooo35980
03-17-2011, 12:26 PM
I was gonna say, "regardless, it's 100 bucks too much for LGC's", but I have no idea what your cigar taxes are like over there.
If you really like them, offer him $150 and see what shakes. I think that'd be fair, even if it's still too much. As long as you like them, ya know?
As far as the provenance story goes, I wouldn't even take that into consideration for a second. It may or may not be true, but regardless, it has little or no bearing on the value of the cigar.
Whether you like them or not has lots of bearing on the value of the cigar weighed against the asking price. :tu

That's more or less what I was thinking, Except that I have no idea what a box of LGC are supposed to cost, especially in Hawaii, everything is expensive over here, except for sushi. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't passing up a once in a lifetime opportunity or anything.

JackSchwartz
03-17-2011, 12:31 PM
Sounds like they're La Gloria Cubana Artesanos de Miami cigars. I really love these cigars, too. Do you happen to know what size they have available?

General Cigar stopped making these cigars so the guy at the shop saying "not many people can get" them is only kind of true. When they were still being produced they were actually fairly easy to get. And I don't think General Cigar told Ernesto to go away, I believe it was more of a mutual split since Ernesto wanted to set out on his own again. Grab some of his new E.P. Carrillo cigars, they have a couple different blends right now (all are pretty darn good).

If the cigars were truly from one of the last batches at the El Credito factory in Miami I'm not really sure they'd be three years old. Maybe a year, two at best. That being said, the cigars are not being made anymore so if you like them I don't really think you can go wrong grabbing a box. Here are the prices we (Jack Schwartz Importer) sold them for when they were still being made (prices reflect a 10% box discount so keep that in mind):

Artesanitos ($180/box of 25)
Campa Chica Torpedo ($281/box of 25)
Elegante ($247.50/box of 25)
Gran Corona Especial ($292.50/box of 25)
Sabrosos ($225/box of 25)

Thanks,
Eric

oooo35980
03-17-2011, 12:35 PM
Ah, really couldn't tell you how big it is in numbers, but I can look on google images heh

It looks like this:

JackSchwartz
03-17-2011, 12:41 PM
Maybe the Sabrosos size (5 1/2 x 52).

oooo35980
03-17-2011, 12:45 PM
Hmm, maybe I'll go ahead and pick them up just because they aren't making them anymore, if nothing else it will be something to have a few years from now. Thx for all the quick replies, I love this place.

Volusianator
03-17-2011, 12:47 PM
The cigar looks similar, but the box I'm thinking of buying is bright yellow and on the front it says something to the effect of "made in Miami by Ernesto Perez-Carillo"

Found a picture of the exact box online, ok so it isn't bright yellow I guess lol

You're thinking about buying a purse?

oooo35980
03-17-2011, 12:53 PM
You're thinking about buying a purse?

Smartass ;p

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=25140

I'm about 99% sure that is the cigar (Thanks Jack), right down to the flavor profile and the loose draw.

Pretty sure I'm gonna pick up a box of these and hold on to em for a while, If I can keep from smokin em :dr

JackSchwartz
03-17-2011, 01:10 PM
Actually, now that I see the yellow box (purse) picture I'm not sure if we're talking the same cigar. If you say the box you're looking at picking up looks identical to the box in the photo you posted then you're looking at standard line La Gloria Cubana's. The standard line cigars usually go for $100 to say $150 or so a box. They're great cigars, but they are always available and continue to be made.

The box of La Gloria Cubana Artesanos de Miami look like this:
http://www.jackschwartz.com/images/products/large/lgcmiami1.jpg

I'm not sure what the taxes are like in Hawaii but $200 for a box of standard line La Gloria's seems a bit high.

rizzle
03-17-2011, 01:16 PM
Sounds like they're La Gloria Cubana Artesanos de Miami cigars. I really love these cigars, too. Do you happen to know what size they have available?

General Cigar stopped making these cigars so the guy at the shop saying "not many people can get" them is only kind of true. When they were still being produced they were actually fairly easy to get. And I don't think General Cigar told Ernesto to go away, I believe it was more of a mutual split since Ernesto wanted to set out on his own again. Grab some of his new E.P. Carrillo cigars, they have a couple different blends right now (all are pretty darn good).

If the cigars were truly from one of the last batches at the El Credito factory in Miami I'm not really sure they'd be three years old. Maybe a year, two at best. That being said, the cigars are not being made anymore so if you like them I don't really think you can go wrong grabbing a box. Here are the prices we (Jack Schwartz Importer) sold them for when they were still being made (prices reflect a 10% box discount so keep that in mind):

Artesanitos ($180/box of 25)
Campa Chica Torpedo ($281/box of 25)
Elegante ($247.50/box of 25)
Gran Corona Especial ($292.50/box of 25)
Sabrosos ($225/box of 25)

Thanks,
Eric
I really liked the Artesanitos. Sadly, I've only got one left.

oooo35980
03-17-2011, 01:37 PM
Actually, now that I see the yellow box (purse) picture I'm not sure if we're talking the same cigar. If you say the box you're looking at picking up looks identical to the box in the photo you posted then you're looking at standard line La Gloria Cubana's. The standard line cigars usually go for $100 to say $150 or so a box. They're great cigars, but they are always available and continue to be made.

The box of La Gloria Cubana Artesanos de Miami look like this:
http://www.jackschwartz.com/images/products/large/lgcmiami1.jpg

I'm not sure what the taxes are like in Hawaii but $200 for a box of standard line La Gloria's seems a bit high.

Hmm the guy made a big deal about how the box said "Made in Miami under the supervision of Ernesto Perez Carillo" Do the ones made since they went their seperate ways still say that?

JackSchwartz
03-17-2011, 02:00 PM
Unless these are some La Gloria I've never heard of I believe you're looking at a box of standard line LGC's.

I move my advice from "scoop them up" to "pass". As shilala and MCS said, you can pick these up for less than $100 a lot of places.

Tio Gato
03-17-2011, 04:12 PM
I'd pass and buy two boxes of LGCs online. 200 bucks is a lot for these regular line smokes.:2

oooo35980
03-17-2011, 06:38 PM
Unless these are some La Gloria I've never heard of I believe you're looking at a box of standard line LGC's.

I move my advice from "scoop them up" to "pass". As shilala and MCS said, you can pick these up for less than $100 a lot of places.

Hmm ok then, Maybe I'll just buy 2 boxes online for what this one costs O_o

Cigahs
03-18-2011, 05:36 AM
La Gloria Cubana was once produced in both, the DR and Miami.. According to Ernesto, they were the same exact blend. For some reason, however, smokers would prefer the Miami-mades over Dominicans. I never really understood why.

Nonetheless, the Miami production no longer exists and, if you can snag a properly stored box at any price, you'd be getting some well-aged cigars.

mgiannini
03-18-2011, 09:49 AM
Gents,

Artesanos de Miami is still being produced at the El Credito Cigar Factory in Miami. This is a limited production meaning that we put our best rollers on this line, currently we have have two grade 7 cigar makers.
Due to the limited production we could only supply approximately 75 to 100 of our loyal retailers.

Thanks for your interest...Michael - Team La Gloria

Cigahs
03-18-2011, 10:42 AM
Gents,

Artesanos de Miami is still being produced at the El Credito Cigar Factory in Miami. This is a limited production meaning that we put our best rollers on this line, currently we have have two grade 7 cigar makers.
Due to the limited production we could only supply approximately 75 to 100 of our loyal retailers.

Thanks for your interest...Michael - Team La Gloria

Look what the cat dragged in!!

Wassup, Mike??

Humberto

mgiannini
03-18-2011, 11:42 AM
Humberto great to hear from you! Doing well working hard creating...Michael

oooo35980
03-18-2011, 01:01 PM
La Gloria Cubana was once produced in both, the DR and Miami.. According to Ernesto, they were the same exact blend. For some reason, however, smokers would prefer the Miami-mades over Dominicans. I never really understood why.

Nonetheless, the Miami production no longer exists and, if you can snag a properly stored box at any price, you'd be getting some well-aged cigars.

That makes sense, I looked up cigar taxes in Hawaii and it's 50%, which would account for cigars at the exchange going for 3-4 dollars less than the same cigars at any cigar shop I've been in, too bad their humidors suck and the cigars I pull out of it are like kindling...

So taking into account the taxes, and that the owner of the shop bought the cigars before the Miami factory stopped making them specifically to age them (30 months actually not 3 years). Maybe the 189.00 price tag makes sense, even if they might not really be worth it. I still don't think I'll be picking any up, but maybe they aren't actually that overpriced, and they are damn tasty.