PDA

View Full Version : Anejos - shark vs. others?

TomHagen
11-17-2008, 11:19 PM
Is there a difference between Anejo Sharks and other anejos?? (besides shape)

I have smoke about 3 sizes of Anejos (not Sharks) and have enjoyed them, but have yet to be blown-away, especially for the $ and hype...
I have not had a Shark and see they are very popular, so I was wondering if they are somehow better...:hm

Thanks for your input...

icantbejon
11-18-2008, 04:32 AM
I've had one shark and one other, I believe it was the 77 (I could be making that up entirely). I actually enjoyed the 77 better. The shark was outstanding, but the one I had after that was just better for some reason. I'm sure this doesn't help you out all that much.

mrreindeer
11-18-2008, 05:10 AM
The 77 is the Shark; I haven't had 'em yet but I just received a 5-er and I'm anxiously awaiting trying one for the first time!

Sauer Grapes
11-18-2008, 05:31 AM
Yup, the #77 is the same as the shark. They are one in the same.

All the others are the same basic blend as the shark, but there could be two things at play here. First is that the ratio of wrapper to filler is different in different blends, and second is that taste is subjective and some people might say they enjoy the shark better because they are expecting to enjoy the shark more.

icantbejon
11-18-2008, 06:05 AM
Ok then. Well whatever one I had that wasn't the shark was great. I don't know what the number was then. JK5 sent me two, one shark and one different one so I know there were definitely two distinct and separate cigars. Now I'll have to figure out which one it is.

muziq
11-18-2008, 06:24 AM
Regardless of shape, Anejos do well with a fair amount of aging. I find that many people who dig into them are smoking them right out of the store, often within days of arrival--meaning they've not had a ton of time to smooth out, to have all those strong and distinct flavor variations mix with one another. Try sitting on a Shark (or any other Anejo) for 6 months to a year, and I guarantee it will be a markedly different experience. When I first started smoking Anejos it was right out of the B&M; I found them overly tart, tannic, spicebombs that presented with a ton of harshness. They were so strong that they often made me ill, and I had to keep sugar packets around me when I smoked 'em. Recently I smoked a #49 with about three years on it, and it's like it was a completely different cigar altogether: smooth, strong, subtle, multiple layers of complex flavors that changed almost with every draw. I'd suggest the trick is to buy a stash now, and not smoke any until the next release when you buy another stash (buy at the holidays; smoke those at Father's Day), always saving one or two to age for a couple years. I can attest that there are few experiences like a 5-year-old Shark.

mrreindeer
11-18-2008, 06:34 AM
I can attest that there are few experiences like a 5-year-old Shark.

Especially when that sucker is gnawing on yer leg! :D

Thank you for the tip; I'll let mine sit for awhile before trying.

ucla695
11-18-2008, 06:44 AM
I agree. They definitely benefit from some down time. I've tried most of the Anejos and prefer the Sharks. :dr I'm going to keep an eye out for these in the next several weeks. :ss

barbourjay
11-18-2008, 07:10 AM
if it was a torpedo shape then you had a 55. the 77 is a round to square press cigar and is "one of a kind". personally a 46 with some resting time is one of my favorites out there.

out of all the maduro fuente line the WOAM to me is by far the best, even right out of the box.

this week is when shipments should start hitting. i'll let everyone know as usual when they start showing up at the locals.

zmancbr
11-18-2008, 09:26 AM
personally a 46 with some resting time is one of my favorites out there.

I have to agree here... I have a lot of anejos in my collection and my favorite is always the 46. So I tend to keep a couple of boxes for aging... can't wait to see what a 10 year old 46 tastes like... :D

shilala
11-18-2008, 09:35 AM
I like them all, and if I can get them at or near MSRP, it feels like a fair price to me.

MithShrike
11-18-2008, 09:57 AM
but have yet to be blown-away, especially for the $ and hype...

I'm in the same boat man. Not that special to me so I don't buy 'em. Everyone enjoys different cigars. Don't worry about what everyone else likes.

TomHagen
11-18-2008, 10:58 AM
I have smoked 2 straight from the B&M, one with age... none changed my life. The 2 from the B&M, had relatively tight draws.
I could see it developing with age, yet they are supposed to be aged already, maybe they just need to blend...
They were strong, but not unpleasant or harsh, actually relatively one-dimensional with good flavor, almost like a La Aurora barrel Aged...

I'm in the same boat man. Not that special to me so I don't buy 'em. Everyone enjoys different cigars. Don't worry about what everyone else likes.

Glad we are in the same boat on two accounts, Anejos have yet to be special to me and I also don't worry about what others like, just trying to get some input:)

zmancbr
11-18-2008, 11:34 AM
They were strong, but not unpleasant or harsh, actually relatively one-dimensional with good flavor, almost like a La Aurora barrel Aged...

Wow that shocks me... I smoked one of the barrel aged and almost tossed it... it was a terrible stick and made me not want another... I love the anejos though... maybe your stick was a bit weaker in flavor... usually they have lots of flavor, so much so that it goes well with it being a strong cigar. :ss

rrplasencia
11-18-2008, 11:38 AM
they are better with at least a year on them, i like the shark better because of the box press which give you a slower burn, first anejo i had i though was harsh i let the rest sit and realized what all the fuss was about :ss

zmancbr
11-18-2008, 12:17 PM
they are better with at least a year on them, i like the shark better because of the box press which give you a slower burn, first anejo i had i though was harsh i let the rest sit and realized what all the fuss was about :ss

Yeah a nice '06 is a pretty damn good smoke right now... :D:dr

I think they definitely need to rest and settle a bit just like the opus. However, they are usually pretty good at about 6 months which is unlike the opus which needs 2-3 years IMO...

jaycarla
11-18-2008, 01:14 PM
I've had a Shark I got at Casa Fuente and I have also smoked a 46. They were both pretty good I guess. I don't think I would really ever buy them though.

If I am going to spend that much on a stick, I could rattle off 7 or 8 that I would want before an Anejo.

Still, I would like to smoke a few more before I give them a final thumbs up or thumbs down. So many people are just goofy over them. Plus, I had built up the Shark so much, it was my first Anejo and my first trip to Casa Fuente. Hard to live up to it.

Scimmia
11-18-2008, 01:24 PM
From what I've heard, the prices at Casa Fuente are ludicrous, so don't judge the cigar by that, jaycarla.

Andyman
11-18-2008, 01:56 PM
I have had maybe half a dozen Anejo's and the best of them were the 77's Strange but true!