PDA

View Full Version : Otterbox?

Flynnster
03-15-2011, 06:18 PM
In my search for a storage option I have realized that most travel humis seem the same as an Otterbox but more expensive, and they have a humidifier. I was planning on using beads anyway so is there any reason not to go with a regular Otterbox? Also, any ideas on how much a specific side will hold?

Texan in Mexico
03-15-2011, 06:23 PM
I use a pelican case, which is basically the same as an Otterbox, use beads and am thrilled with it!

Mine will carry about 60 cigars or 40 with a bag of beads.

Hope this helps!
Posted via Mobile Device

MurphysLaw
03-15-2011, 06:27 PM
I believe the otterbox 3500 is the exact same box as the 15 count travel humidor sold by various companies

markem
03-15-2011, 06:28 PM
I have an otterbox. I threw away their puck a long time ago and use a tube with beads in it. Works great for all the trips so far, up to two weeks.

Also, I never use the trays, but rather put my cigars in 5-finger bags. The case holds nearly double when you do that.

Flynnster
03-15-2011, 06:46 PM
Thanks guys!! Looks like an otterbox and a tube of beads is for me then. There isn't any plastic smell to them is there?

md4958
03-15-2011, 07:40 PM
Thanks guys!! Looks like an otterbox and a tube of beads is for me then. There isn't any plastic smell to them is there?

nope :tu

joshpip
03-15-2011, 07:57 PM
I use a pelican case, which is basically the same as an Otterbox, use beads and am thrilled with it!

Mine will carry about 60 cigars or 40 with a bag of beads.

Hope this helps!
Posted via Mobile Device

What size Pelican Case do you have?

loki
03-15-2011, 08:00 PM
i opened the puck took the foam out installed some cloth mesh and put beads in it.

tedrodgerscpa
03-15-2011, 08:57 PM
i opened the puck took the foam out installed some cloth mesh and put beads in it.

I did what he did.

Flynnster
03-15-2011, 09:11 PM
Wait, are yall saying the otterbox has the puck in it? Or only the specific cigar caddy types?

Texan in Mexico
03-15-2011, 09:43 PM
Pelican 1300 case...

What size Pelican Case do you have?
Posted via Mobile Device

tedrodgerscpa
03-15-2011, 09:58 PM
Wait, are yall saying the otterbox has the puck in it? Or only the specific cigar caddy types?

The puck things are added to pelican cases (along with the grooved foam) typically when they are "re-branded" as cigar cases.

Flynnster
03-15-2011, 10:05 PM
Alright, for humidification I am actually looking at the heartfelt sheets instead of the beads.

md4958
03-16-2011, 06:47 AM
Alright, for humidification I am actually looking at the heartfelt sheets instead of the beads.

How big of a traveldor are we talking here? I really dont think you would need any humidification unless youre talking about the larger (40 count and up) units. And even then, if its less than 3 weeks, I wouldnt worry about humidification, especially if youre using bags inside the traveldor.

And THEN, I would still recommend a Shilala bead packet (Ive had better luck). Contact CigarNut (a member here) for more information.

ajacobs
03-16-2011, 09:06 AM
Cigar caddy used to be owned by otterbox back in the day and a couple employees bought that part of the company and split off.

If you are talking otterbox size as opposed to pelican size the only reason to go with the cigar caddy is the foam. Unlike pelican cases empty otterboxes do not come with any type of foam.

Flynnster
03-16-2011, 09:24 AM
How big of a traveldor are we talking here? I really dont think you would need any humidification unless youre talking about the larger (40 count and up) units. And even then, if its less than 3 weeks, I wouldnt worry about humidification, especially if youre using bags inside the traveldor.

And THEN, I would still recommend a Shilala bead packet (Ive had better luck). Contact CigarNut (a member here) for more information.

I'm looking at the 3500 which is about the size of the "15" count travel humidors. I'll get in touch with cigarnut, any time I can support a forum I do. Also this will be my only humidor, not just for traveling around.

Cigar caddy used to be owned by otterbox back in the day and a couple employees bought that part of the company and split off.

If you are talking otterbox size as opposed to pelican size the only reason to go with the cigar caddy is the foam. Unlike pelican cases empty otterboxes do not come with any type of foam.

From what I read the 3500 has a bit of foam on the interior walls unless you get the clear version, but I will keep the cigars in the wrappers to keep them safe. Figure I can fit more in there.