PDA

View Full Version : Cuban Taste?

Flynnster
03-12-2011, 08:23 PM
Hey there guys, just curious on this, how do cubans taste compared to NC? Also, what NC taste the most like cubans?

Just always wondered, I'll probably never have a chance to try a cuban, but in case I do it would be cool to know what to expect.

NCRadioMan
03-13-2011, 04:48 AM
Hey there guys, just curious on this, how do cubans taste compared to NC? Also, what NC taste the most like cubans?

Just always wondered, I'll probably never have a chance to try a cuban, but in case I do it would be cool to know what to expect.

It's very hard to describe the taste of Cubans compared to NC's. They are just different and frankly, there are no NC's that really taste Cuban. Some of Pepin's stuff will mimic Cubans every once and while but that's all, imo. To me, the most like a Cuban is the original Cabaiguan and only after a year or two of age on them. Seen a number of people get fooled in blind taste tests with them.

Participate on the forum, get into some trades and you never know when one ore two may fall in your lap.

:2

Bill86
03-13-2011, 04:53 AM
IMO they aren't as harsh, much more subtle flavors than aggressive. In my experiences they are also not pepper bombs. It's really hard to explain you just have to try them. I guess to me I would call them "refined". Like a good bottle of booze, mellow yet flavorful with the same kick.

pektel
03-13-2011, 04:58 AM
IMO they aren't as harsh, much more subtle flavors than aggressive. In my experiences they are also not pepper bombs. It's really hard to explain you just have to try them. I guess to me I would call them "refined". Like a good bottle of booze, mellow yet flavorful with the same kick.

I also find that snorking cc's is not as harsh. Refined is a nice term to describe them, and I agree I don't get much pepper. I've also found the overall scent of the burning cigar to be more pleasant. Well, the gf normally comments on the smell. She likes the smell of most cc's I've smoked around her, but she has yet to like the smell of nc smoke.
Posted via Mobile Device

HollywoodQue
03-13-2011, 07:44 AM
Flavor, Flavor, Flavor!!!

HollywoodQue
03-13-2011, 07:47 AM
[QUOTE=Flynnster;1203758]Hey there guys, just curious on this, how do cubans taste compared to NC? Also, what NC taste the most like cubans?

Go to the Habanos Thread and you will find several Newbie recommendations on first time cc's. It breaks down a lot of information on various brands. That would be a great start in your selection process.

pektel
03-13-2011, 08:16 AM
Dependingon length of time here, number of posts, and other factors, he may not be able to see all the forums yet. I'm using the mobile version of the site, so I don't know his stats.
Posted via Mobile Device

md4958
03-13-2011, 08:39 AM
Participate on the forum, get into some trades and you never know when one ore two may fall in your lap.

Holy crap!! I think this is the best advice that anybody has given on this subject, ever.

:tpd:tpd:tpd

I would only add, get out to meet other BOTLs at HERFS or cigar events.

Flynnster
03-13-2011, 09:21 AM
Thanks guys! And no I do not have access to the cuban forum yet, it seems like I did when I first signed up, then I took a break, when I came back it's gone.

I'll get into some trade as soon as I get something to store cigars (15 count travel), I would hate to get a few sticks and not be able tot store them properly.

md4958
03-13-2011, 09:28 AM
Thanks guys! And no I do not have access to the cuban forum yet, it seems like I did when I first signed up, then I took a break, when I came back it's gone.

I'll get into some trade as soon as I get something to store cigars (15 count travel), I would hate to get a few sticks and not be able tot store them properly.

a large ziplock with a humipack, or some 5 finger baggies, or some tupperware, or a small cooler.....

tedrodgerscpa
03-13-2011, 12:17 PM
It's very hard to describe the taste of Cubans compared to NC's. They are just different and frankly, there are no NC's that really taste Cuban. Some of Pepin's stuff will mimic Cubans every once and while but that's all, imo. To me, the most like a Cuban is the original Cabaiguan and only after a year or two of age on them. Seen a number of people get fooled in blind taste tests with them.

I agree with everything Mr. Lovebiscuit said. 100%

Zeuceone
03-13-2011, 12:30 PM
I heard the, not sure if its a certain stick, sancho panzas taste pretty close to the cuban made ones.

T.G
03-13-2011, 12:34 PM
I heard the, not sure if its a certain stick, sancho panzas taste pretty close to the cuban made ones.

Not to me. :2

Flynnster
03-13-2011, 12:43 PM
Do the cubans range flavor wise the same way no cubans do or are they all pretty much the same?

md4958
03-13-2011, 12:51 PM

Not to me. :2

me either

Do the cubans range flavor wise the same way no cubans do or are they all pretty much the same?

If they all tasted the same there would be no reason for different marcas. Each marca has its own characteristic "profile"

awsmith4
03-13-2011, 01:05 PM
me either

If they all tasted the same there would be no reason for different marcas. Each marca has its own characteristic "profile"

:tpd:

Also each vitola can be a different taste within a marca

pnoon
03-13-2011, 08:17 PM
IMO, not even remotely close.
I don't know where you heard that but that is the first time I have ever heard anyone make that claim.
Posted via Mobile Device

pektel
03-13-2011, 08:36 PM
I smoked an old torano tribute torpedo that tasted kind of grassy. That's the closest I've got to any sort of taste in the cc profile. But the pepper was distinctly nc.
Posted via Mobile Device

Humpdebump
03-14-2011, 07:41 AM
Dependingon length of time here, number of posts, and other factors, he may not be able to see all the forums yet. I'm using the mobile version of the site, so I don't know his stats.
Posted via Mobile Device

Where are stats to see when you qualify

T.G
03-14-2011, 08:40 AM
Where are stats to see when you qualify

The ToE has never publicly published that information. Participate and contribute to the community and forums will become accessible.

guitar4001
03-14-2011, 09:53 AM
some non-cubans taste better than some cubans. this is just my opinion of course, but I think that its hard to argue that guantanamera, LFdC, Statos de Luxe, Quintero, etc are better cigars than Padron, Tats, Opus X, DPGs, and a host of other well-made non-cuban smokes.

comparing apples to oranges huh?

NCRadioMan
03-14-2011, 10:02 AM
but I think that its hard to argue that guantanamera, LFdC, Statos de Luxe, Quintero, etc are better cigars than Padron, Tats, Opus X, DPGs, and a host of other well-made non-cuban smokes.

Are you trying to compare $2 cigars to $8-15 cigars?

wayner123
03-14-2011, 10:05 AM
Are you trying to compare $1-2 cigars to $8-15 cigars?

I don't think he was trying to compare them at all. It seems more like he was saying that would be unfair to do so.

However, cost has never played a major part in comparison for me. Greycliff's and Gurkha's both have very high prices, but are worse than some $3 cigars, imo.

OLS
03-14-2011, 10:22 AM
Are you trying to compare $2 cigars to $8-15 cigars?He DID...HE DID that! It's OK, He from G'boro, so he alright in my book.
But yeah......he DID that. I would agree that Padron 4 dollar cigars are better than
Guantanamera. Los Statos Deluxe.... closer but Padron wins. I think what I am
saying is that I only buy habanos, and no Padron is going to get me off of that truck.
I love Padrons, to me there is not much better flavor to be found in cigars. But I do
not shop in B&M stores as long as Fidel still delivers.
It's hard to explain. I guess it's best characterized in a scene from....wait, that's SNL.
I MEAN, I have more habanos than I can smoke in two lifetimes, so I do not see NCs as
being worth the money....see? There is no NC that is going to make me go out and start
spending money on MORE cigars. But I try not to bash them as a rule. I just prefer that
delicious tea flavor I only seem to get with CT.

md4958
03-14-2011, 10:24 AM
some non-cubans taste better than some cubans. this is just my opinion of course, but I think that its hard to argue that guantanamera, LFdC, Statos de Luxe, Quintero, etc are better cigars than Padron, Tats, Opus X, DPGs, and a host of other well-made non-cuban smokes.

A fairer analogy would be comparing very expensive apples to fruit-snacks. If you wanna be fair compare cigars on a dollar for dollar basis.

I would still take the LFdC, Statos, Quintero over thier NC counterparts though. You can keep the Guant. :D

akumushi
03-14-2011, 10:26 AM
I also find that snorking cc's is not as harsh. Refined is a nice term to describe them, and I agree I don't get much pepper. I've also found the overall scent of the burning cigar to be more pleasant. Well, the gf normally comments on the smell. She likes the smell of most cc's I've smoked around her, but she has yet to like the smell of nc smoke.
Posted via Mobile Device

This is too true. My wife gets on my case about how bad I reek after smoking NCs, but she complains far less about CCs, and has actually said "that smells good" while I was smoking a CC on several occasions.

VirtualSmitty
03-14-2011, 10:33 AM
Kristoff cigars have an elite cuban taste if you believe the band :r

Cuban cigars taste like cigars from cuba. Cigars made elsewhere don't :tu

Christiel49
03-14-2011, 11:31 AM
He DID...HE DID that! It's OK, He from G'boro, so he alright in my book.
But yeah......he DID that. I would agree that Padron 4 dollar cigars are better than
saying is that I only buy habanos, and no Padron is going to get me off of that truck.
I love Padrons, to me there is not much better flavor to be found in cigars. But I do
It's hard to explain. I guess it's best characterized in a scene from....wait, that's SNL.
I MEAN, I have more habanos than I can smoke in two lifetimes, so I do not see NCs as
being worth the money....see? There is no NC that is going to make me go out and start
spending money on MORE cigars. But I try not to bash them as a rule. I just prefer that

:sw:hm:hm

sam a
03-14-2011, 12:17 PM

i personally prefer LFdC and los statos de luxe to padron, tats, opus, and dpgs :sh

Humpdebump
03-14-2011, 12:42 PM
The ToE has never publicly published that information. Participate and contribute to the community and forums will become accessible.

Gotcha, thanks:tu

Bunker
03-14-2011, 12:55 PM
Smoke what you like. I don't smoke a lot of CC's.

There are good and bad just like NC's, the problem is you get something that says Habana on the label and you instantly expect it to be the greatest smoke ever.

The last 4-5 I have had were dissappointing.

I like most of the NC's I have paired down my selection to at this point. For the mpost part I know what to expect when I light one. There are a few cc's I could see myself going through the hoops needed to get some but everytime I consider it I ended buying more NC's instead.

I like the easy way when it comes to cigars :sh

tx_tuff
03-14-2011, 02:18 PM
Cubans taste like Cubans, Nicaraguan taste like Nicaraguan, Dominican taste like Dominican and etc.... I prefer the taste of a Nicaraguan so thats what I buy the most of.

OLS
03-14-2011, 02:40 PM
:sw:hm:hmWhat part of that, aside from maybe all of it, made you say that, Chris??
I'd be happy to further dig myself into a hole by explaining. :D

SDmate
03-14-2011, 02:50 PM
Cubans taste like Cubans, Nicaraguan taste like Nicaraguan, Dominican taste like Dominican and etc.... I prefer the taste of a Nicaraguan so thats what I buy the most of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pwvB4_Te8A
:D

guitar4001
03-14-2011, 04:10 PM
I don't think he was trying to compare them at all. It seems more like he was saying that would be unfair to do so.

However, cost has never played a major part in comparison for me. Greycliff's and Gurkha's both have very high prices, but are worse than some $3 cigars, imo.

Correct. I am only saying that I prefer MANY non-cuban cigars over the cubans mentioned in the quote.

The way that I read the original post simply referred to "cubans" in general. I am just pointing out the fact that some cubans are known turds. Also, some non-cubans suck at any price.

guitar4001
03-14-2011, 04:14 PM
He DID...HE DID that! It's OK, He from G'boro, so he alright in my book.

More cigars than two lifetimes eh? There are two of us...i'll take your extra lifetime worth of smokes. I have some high quality pork rinds to trade courtesy of Nahunta Pork Center. They are delicious.

OLS
03-14-2011, 06:12 PM
I am actually looking for a woman to share my stash with. Sort of a dowry. But barring success in that,
How do you look in a wig?

icehog3
03-14-2011, 06:14 PM
I am actually looking for a woman to share my stash with. Sort of a dowry. But barring success in that,

Do you like Opus X? Then you could ask how someone looks in a wig wam. ;)

T.G
03-14-2011, 06:17 PM
:r:r:r

Smokin Gator
03-14-2011, 06:54 PM

I was actually thinking of asking you the same question Brad:r:r:r Got any Tainos???

Christiel49
03-14-2011, 07:04 PM

LMFAO! Exactly what I was thinking. 2 lifetimes worth? Hummm
Posted via Mobile Device

guitar4001
03-14-2011, 07:07 PM
LMFAO! Exactly what I was thinking. 2 lifetimes worth? Hummm
Posted via Mobile Device

I would make a rough looking woman. I wouldn't wanna date me.

OLS
03-15-2011, 07:02 AM
Ask Tom Icehog, I am walking FAAR too thin a line on this lately, ROFLMAO.

icehog3
03-15-2011, 08:59 AM
Ask Tom Icehog, I am walking FAAR too thin a line on this lately, ROFLMAO.

Could be worse, Brad. Could be Peter.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa73/icehog3/pnoon.jpg

Blueface
03-15-2011, 09:01 AM
Cuban Taste?

Can be expensive if married to my wife.:D

Flynnster
03-15-2011, 09:41 AM
How quick this thread got derailed, haha

icehog3
03-15-2011, 01:13 PM
How quick this thread got derailed, haha

Once the relevant points are made, it is usually time for some joking in the Asylum....sorry if we took you off course Brother. :)

DennisP
03-15-2011, 01:18 PM
Once the relevant points are made, it is usually time for some joking in the Asylum....sorry if we took you off course Brother. :)

Joking? There is NOTHING funny about that picture!

floydpink
03-15-2011, 01:25 PM
Anyone seen Moki?;s

DennisP
03-15-2011, 01:29 PM
Anyone seen Moki?;s

http://www.collectiveroots.org/files/u3/can_of_worms.jpg

emopunker2004
03-16-2011, 01:05 AM
flynnster, send me your address so I can send you the CA newsletter to keep you on the up and up

Flynnster
03-16-2011, 09:28 AM

No problem man,other than the nightmares from the picture!!

guitar4001
03-16-2011, 09:32 AM
what were we discussing again?

Flynnster
03-16-2011, 09:37 AM
OLS seems to be looking for a mate. Woman or man in wig. Good to know he isn't picky.

guitar4001
03-16-2011, 09:39 AM
oh that's right. OLS, you need to hit up biggals.com.

Stinky
03-20-2011, 12:58 PM
What do Cuban cigars taste like? O! M! G!

I gotta give this one a try:

Yes. Cuban cigars have a unique flavor and aroma. The flavors in various Cuban brands and blends are as diverse as any other brand or country in the world. However, most of the "Super Premium" Cuban brands have that unique flavor & aroma. But, not all! REMEMBER: It's STILL a cigar! Cuban cigars are still made with CIGAR TOBACCO! And never forget: When Castro took over, he nationalized all business. The cigar farmers & cigar makers ALL left! They were very prosperous businessmen and refused to work for the "state". They ended up around the world and are now the people growing and rolling the BEST cigars from everywhere else in the world. Cuban cigars are made by their Government! Hmmmm.

I guess a better question would be: "In your opinion, is the flavor & aroma of Cuban cigars better?"
. . . or another question would be: "Is the difference in Cuban cigars worth all the hub-bub?"

Here's my opinion(s):
Many of the super-premium Cuban cigars are very good.
I simply believe that the (little) difference is not worth all the extra costs & risks.
JMHO

Cuban cigars are supposed to be composed from ALL Cuban-grown tobaccos. (FYI: rumors in the industry say Cuba is buying tobacco from other countries because they simply cannot keep up with their demand) If you smoked "puros" cigars from Nicaragua, Cuba, Honduras, Mexico, Costa Rica, Jamaica, Porto Rico, Brazil, Ecuador, Dominican Republic(?), etc. and they were each made totally with tobaccos grown in that country. . . you'll soon realize that tobacco from each country has a unique flavor/aroma.

Every time I read or discuss Cuban cigars, I'm compelled to share my findings which are confirmed by the famed writers in most cigar books and all cigar magazines:

95-percent of all Cuban cigars that make their way into the USA are counterfeit! The black-market for Cuban cigars is very strong based on the GIGANTIC mark-up! The REAL counterfeiters are in production just like any other cigar company. They exist in numerous countries including CUBA! Read up, guys!~

And, don't kid yourself! There are abundant stories about authorized Habanos dealers who get a big kick out of selling their black market fakes to the suckers in the USA! They know 95% of the Americans just don't know the difference! And, I understand this might be difficult for some of you to believe . . . but, most of them . . . just want your money! They are VERY nice to you and treat you like a 'bro' . . . but, in the end, they just want the US Dollars!

So? You think your Cubans are real? Could be! I'm just sayin' . . . You think you're in the elite 5% who have the real-deal and a direct Cuban connection? Good for you, if you do. You think you can tell if it's real by smoking one?

pnoon
03-20-2011, 01:06 PM
On this point, I think we all can agree.

Here's my opinion(s):

borndead1
03-20-2011, 01:17 PM
To me, the most like a Cuban is the original Cabaiguan and only after a year or two of age on them.

I agree. Also IMO the Tatuaje Red Label churchill and a little known line of cigars called Cacique Miami, made by Tabacalera Tropical. But it's not the "same" flavor. Sort of like an "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" type flavor. It's almost there.

Blueface
03-20-2011, 01:20 PM
Oh man, the infamous and very much statistically unfounded 95% rule and therefore we are smoking fakes.
When will that BS story cease to surface?

Some still believe in the tooth fairy also.

pektel
03-20-2011, 01:23 PM
I was thinking the same thing. How could they statistically analyze black market?
Posted via Mobile Device

cort
03-20-2011, 01:27 PM
All I know is that my fakes taste delicious:noon

Bill86
03-20-2011, 01:37 PM
All I know is that my fakes taste delicious:noon

So do mine especially my fake 08 CoLas :dr those are wonderful.

Oh man, the infamous and very much statistically unfounded 95% rule and therefore we are smoking fakes.

Wait the tooth fairy isn't real?!?!?

kelmac07
03-20-2011, 01:38 PM
Next you're gonna tell me that there is no Easter bunny. :D

Bill86
03-20-2011, 01:41 PM
Next you're gonna tell me that there is no Easter bunny. :D

No way he is the real deal. I get cadbury cream eggs every year as proof! Unless those are fakes :confused:

markem
03-20-2011, 01:46 PM
What do Cuban cigars taste like? O! M! G!

You really need to do stand up comedy.

Did you know that almost 95% of all NC cigars in the US are fakes? Backed up by well known writers in magazines and elsewhere to boot! Almost all NCs come from the same llama farm in Peru. Not dog rockets, but closely related. :D

But my writing isn't nearly as funny as yours.

shilala
03-20-2011, 01:50 PM

Consider the source, Carlos. If you're heavily invested in the sale/profit of cigars that you personally sell, or are deeply invested in, doesn't it make sense to propagate propaganda?
It took a single post for me to completely lose respect for an entire organization. I don't think I'm at all interested in CRA protecting my cigar smoking rights. I'd rather go with an outfit that's willing to roll the dice by spreading truth. :tu

md4958
03-20-2011, 01:56 PM
Here's my opinion(s):
I simply believe that the (little) difference is not worth all the extra costs & risks.
JMHO

95-percent of all Cuban cigars that make their way into the USA are counterfeit!

Your "cubans" must have been part of that 95% Stinky! :rolleyes:

markem
03-20-2011, 01:59 PM

People with vested interests, as Scott pointed out, will misrepresent numbers to their advantage. I would tend to agree that if a vendor (e.g., a B&M) in the US is advertising Cuban cigars that they are fakes. Perhaps more than 95% since CCs are illegal for that vendor to import and sell on US soil. But to then extend this in the way that some do is, well ... let's see, there are lies, dammed lies and then something that begins with 'statistics' :D

icehog3
03-20-2011, 02:14 PM
Jibbity, jibbity, rat-a-tat-tat.

T.G
03-20-2011, 02:18 PM
http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/7/dosequisinteresting.jpg

macsauce13
03-20-2011, 02:21 PM
It took a single post for me to completely lose respect for an entire organization.

Sadly me too, Scott...