PDA

View Full Version : Home Protection Firearm

TheLostGringo
03-11-2011, 03:25 PM
Been encouraged to take the Firearms safety class and the wife wants me to get a gun for the house.

I am sure that during the class I will get some ideas myself but wondered what the Forum thought would be a good first gun used for Home Protection primarily.

replicant_argent
03-11-2011, 03:30 PM
Depends on the situation, your and your wifes familiarity with firearms. Generally? It is very hard to argue with a short barrelled 12 gauge with a very bright light mounted underbarrel. Whatever your choice, whether handgun, shotgun, or (rarely) rifle, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice. Make sure you know and understand what the lethal force responsibilities and legalities may be in your state.

Zeuceone
03-11-2011, 03:35 PM
also do some research on ammo. some ammo can keep on trveling threw walls.

timo
03-11-2011, 03:39 PM
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_750051_757892_-1_757752_757751_image

hotreds
03-11-2011, 03:45 PM
A shotgun cocking is enough to scare most any intruder. And, the scatter if you hafta shoot means you'll likely hit the intruder, and the pellets likely won't travel too far to endager neighbors et al.

BlindedByScience
03-11-2011, 03:47 PM
Kudos for seeking out training and instruction first.

I'm very partial to a quality handgun in 9mm or larger. Equipped with a blinding LED flashlight and maybe even a laser sight, it's a very intimidating package that may prevent you from ever having to use it. My "things that go bump in the night" weapon is a Glock 23 in .40 with a Streamlight LED light / laser mounted on the rail.

Many training facilities and ranges have weapons you can rent. Try out several and ask the advice of folks you trust before you make a purchase. Then practice, practice, practice.....and practice some more. Did I mention practice...??

Lastly, along with the weapon, you need a way to secure it. I have a large floor standing safe, but bought one of these (http://www.gunvault.com/handgun-safes/mini-mini-deluxe.html) for daily storage. If we leave on a trip, the guns go in the big heavy safe, but the Gun Vault is pretty cool for daily storage, and is mounted near my bed so I can get into it quickly if required.

....did I mention practice...??

Be safe and good luck - N.F.H.

68TriShield
03-11-2011, 03:52 PM
A shotgun cocking is enough to scare most any intruder. And, the scatter if you hafta shoot means you'll likely hit the intruder, and the pellets likely won't travel too far to endanger neighbors et al.

Pete is right but in terms of weapon only,what Hugh said is the safer choice.If you can call firing a shotgun at someone safe.

Hence the bright light,be damn sure of who you might have to shoot.

Zeuceone
03-11-2011, 03:54 PM
dont forget to bolt the safe to the ground. heard many stories where they take the huge safe due to not being bolted down.

neoflex
03-11-2011, 03:55 PM
A shotgun cocking is enough to scare most any intruder. And, the scatter if you hafta shoot means you'll likely hit the intruder, and the pellets likely won't travel too far to endager neighbors et al.

:tpd: This is my next purchase. I currently have a .40 and .45 in the house but the reasons above are why I am adding a shotgun as the first line of defense for the house.

Bruins Fan
03-11-2011, 03:58 PM
12 gauge shotgun,nothing more scarier to a bad guy then a pump gun being racked.

druturn
03-11-2011, 04:25 PM
I currently use my Remington 870 20 gauge as home protection, but in a week I will be using my H&K 45 USP for concealed carry and home defense with a bed holster. It really all comes down to preference and what type of housing you are in. What ever you do, do not be tricked into using something crazy like 00 Buck for home defense. Those bad boys will go through your target and more than likely through your walls, endangering your neighbors. If you miss your target, you will REALLY endanger your neighbors. Since my shotgun is technically a hunting shotgun, it has a mag cap of 3 rounds that I outfit with #3 Buck, Birdshot, then another #3 Buck. Whatever weapon you decide to use, be extremely comfortable with it, familiarize yourself with the weapon and practice, practice, practice as much as you can. Range time helps tremendously, but also practicing clearing techniques specific to your house can be some of the most practical training you can do for free. Plan, practice, and hope to God in heaven that you never have to use it. Just my two cents.

floydpink
03-11-2011, 04:28 PM
Me: Mossberg 500 for house. Smith and Wesson Airweight 38 for going out.

bvilchez
03-11-2011, 04:31 PM
I applaud your concerns for safety. Do as much research as you can. AFTER you have taken a firearms safety class I would suggest going to a range where you have the option of shooting various calibers such as the .40 and 9mm.

If you are going to have it at home I would suggest your wife taking the class as well and going with you to try the different options also.

Please do not look into this type of ammo.:2 There are 5 safety rules I go by:

1. Treat every weapon as if it were loaded.
2. Never point a weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot.
3. Keep your finger off the trigger until you intend to fire.
4. Keep your weapon on safe until you intend to fire.
5. Know youor target and what lies beyond.

You might learn something different while at your class but by all means think safety first. By the looks of it you're on the right track.

MiamiE
03-11-2011, 04:47 PM
I like my chances with my trusty Remington 870! :D

floydpink
03-11-2011, 04:55 PM

Nice gun, but sorta long for me, which is why I chose the Mossberg for easy maneuvering.
http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu36/JamesJ1963/mossbergcruiser0sh.jpg

kydsid
03-11-2011, 04:55 PM
in mexico or texas? Mex: M60 Tex: whatever u are comfortable with and use at the range the most. The users familarity with the firearm matters more in a moment of panic and stress than what the weapon actually is.
Posted via Mobile Device

awsmith4
03-11-2011, 04:56 PM
I currently use my Remington 870 20 gauge as home protection, but in a week I will be using my H&K 45 USP for concealed carry and home defense with a bed holster. It really all comes down to preference and what type of housing you are in. What ever you do, do not be tricked into using something crazy like 00 Buck for home defense. Those bad boys will go through your target and more than likely through your walls, endangering your neighbors. If you miss your target, you will REALLY endanger your neighbors. Since my shotgun is technically a hunting shotgun, it has a mag cap of 3 rounds that I outfit with #3 Buck, Birdshot, then another #3 Buck. Whatever weapon you decide to use, be extremely comfortable with it, familiarize yourself with the weapon and practice, practice, practice as much as you can. Range time helps tremendously, but also practicing clearing techniques specific to your house can be some of the most practical training you can do for free. Plan, practice, and hope to God in heaven that you never have to use it. Just my two cents.

An 870 is what I have as well, as Hugh said the pump is enough to send them the other way but it will put a hurting on them if they don't

TheLostGringo
03-11-2011, 04:57 PM
Thanks for all the great information. Think I will take the class and then try some guns at the range before making a decision.

markem
03-11-2011, 04:58 PM
Everyone. I repeat, everyone, in your home must be trained to handle any firearms in the home. The exception is with minors who cannot be trusted due to age or lack of maturity. Mind you, some adults cannot be trusted due to lack of maturity as well, you make the call.

In my opinion, you should take a firearms safety class followed by at least a firearms self defense class. Self defense shooting is a whole lot different from range shooting. Only then will you know what weapon you feel comfortable with, if any.

Personally, I like an aluminum baseball bat as the first line of defense followed by a short barrel shotgun followed by a handgun with shot shells alternating with hollow points. But that's just me.

Note that any weapon that is within easy reach of you any place you are in the house is within easy reach of a foe. Many times, the person breaking in knows the victim and all their hiding places.

At this point in my life, the best plan I can offer for self defense is a good escape route. I would encourage you to insure everything in your house because they are only things. Save the people with a great plan to get them out of harms way. Also, I would encourage an alarm with a panic button that has a remote control fob that can be worn on the person.

One last thing, in the event that your house is every broken in to, anyone escaping or getting to a window should yell "fire" as loud as they can. Most neighbors will respond to "fire" by calling 911 when they would ignore "help" or similar. At least that's what I'm told by some of my LEO friends.

mosesbotbol
03-11-2011, 05:00 PM
12 gauge shotgun,nothing more scarier to a bad guy then a pump gun being racked.

Shotgun for sure, especially if it comes down to using it. You won't miss in an inside home situation.

druturn
03-11-2011, 05:04 PM
Nice gun, but sorta long for me, which is why I chose the Mossberg for easy maneuvering.
http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu36/JamesJ1963/mossbergcruiser0sh.jpg
PLEASE put a buttstock on that thing. If you can become extremely accurate with it as is, by all means, go ahead and use it. When people go out and buy a pistol gripped shotgun with a short barrel simply because it is short and "tactical", it scares the living hell out of me. I have shot guns all of my life, but the moment I tried this Mossberg, I was terrified that this weapon sells as greatly as it does as difficult as it is get a good picture sight and align with targets quickly. I am not hating on you, but mossberg just scares the hell out of me with some of the guns they make for the masses for "home-defense."

Whatever u are comfortable with and use at the range the most. The users familarity with the firearm matters more in a moment of panic and stress than what the weapon actually is.
Posted via Mobile Device

An 870 is what I have as well, as Hugh said the pump is enough to send them the other way but it will put a hurting on them if they don't
QFE

druturn
03-11-2011, 05:12 PM
Shotgun for sure, especially if it comes down to using it. You won't miss in an inside home situation.

You would be surprised to find out how easy it is to miss a target in an inside home situation, even with a shotgun. Extreme close quarters firing with a shotgun must be PRECISE firing. What you failed to realize is that when the shot leaves the barrel of the shotgun, it is not in the spread out pattern that it will be in 15-20 feet or so. When the shot leaves the barrel at that close of a range, it is in an extremely tight grouping. Again, train, train, and train. Take several different loads of rounds out to the range and do some practical shooting at very close distances(if possible, not all ranges allow things like this). Try shooting your selected rounds at a range of 5-10 feet and see what kind of grouping you get. You will be surprised just how accurate you must be to hit a target. Just because you have a shotgun does NOT mean you will automatically hit your target because you are aiming in the general area of the target.

emopunker2004
03-11-2011, 05:15 PM
honestly, the best HD gun is the one you practice/train with. shotguns are good depending on load, handgun. A glock with a taclight would make a good one.

ucla695
03-11-2011, 05:22 PM

Great point if you have children or others sleeping in other rooms! Beware of collateral damage.

AGREED! MY dad has scared off people in his back yard with this approach without confronting them

I applaud your concerns for safety. Do as much research as you can. AFTER you have taken a firearms safety class I would suggest going to a range where you have the option of shooting various calibers such as the .40 and 9mm.

If you are going to have it at home I would suggest your wife taking the class as well and going with you to try the different options also.

Please do not look into this type of ammo.:2 There are 5 safety rules I go by:

1. Treat every weapon as if it were loaded.
2. Never point a weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot.
3. Keep your finger off the trigger until you intend to fire.
4. Keep your weapon on safe until you intend to fire.
5. Know youor target and what lies beyond.

You might learn something different while at your class but by all means think safety first. By the looks of it you're on the right track.

Excellent points! Point #4 gets to your familiarity with the weapon. It shouldn't be in your house until you and your spouse know how to use it instinctively (worth mentioning I think).

Everyone. I repeat, everyone, in your home must be trained to handle any firearms in the home. The exception is with minors who cannot be trusted due to age or lack of maturity. Mind you, some adults cannot be trusted due to lack of maturity as well, you make the call.

In my opinion, you should take a firearms safety class followed by at least a firearms self defense class. Self defense shooting is a whole lot different from range shooting. Only then will you know what weapon you feel comfortable with, if any.

Personally, I like an aluminum baseball bat as the first line of defense followed by a short barrel shotgun followed by a handgun with shot shells alternating with hollow points. But that's just me.

Note that any weapon that is within easy reach of you any place you are in the house is within easy reach of a foe. Many times, the person breaking in knows the victim and all their hiding places.

At this point in my life, the best plan I can offer for self defense is a good escape route. I would encourage you to insure everything in your house because they are only things. Save the people with a great plan to get them out of harms way. Also, I would encourage an alarm with a panic button that has a remote control fob that can be worn on the person.

One last thing, in the event that your house is every broken in to, anyone escaping or getting to a window should yell "fire" as loud as they can. Most neighbors will respond to "fire" by calling 911 when they would ignore "help" or similar. At least that's what I'm told by some of my LEO friends.

Sage advice indeed!

JaKaacH
03-11-2011, 05:40 PM

:tpd:

MarkinAZ
03-11-2011, 05:59 PM
My Remington P870 with #4 buck...

ps. safety, safety, and safety; practice, practice, and more practice!

...Yes!

Stephen
03-11-2011, 06:58 PM

Agreed on all accounts. Me? I have a Mossberg 590A1.

Cornrow_Wallis
03-11-2011, 07:05 PM
I'm with you guys on the 12 gauge.

But there is no way in hell that I would try to scare someone away by racking a shell into the chamber. If they take off, it's all well and good. If they don't run, then you have a serious problem.

1) The guy now knows where you are and that you have a gun.
2) You've given him time to react.
3) If he is also armed, you might scare him into shooting at you.
4) If there is more than one, you're on a-whole-nother level of screwed. Especially if they are split up. Then you have two or three guys in your house, possibly armed and definitely scared.

In my unprofessional opinion, if you're going to try to scare someone instead of shooting them, you're probably better off locking the doors and yelling that you're going to call the police. Use the shotgun as back up in case they try something crazy like kicking your bedroom door in.

That's just a couple thoughts I had. I've never been in that situation and there is no way to know how you'll act if something like that goes down. Just something to think about.

Stephen
03-11-2011, 07:32 PM
I'm with you guys on the 12 gauge.

But there is no way in hell that I would try to scare someone away by racking a shell into the chamber. If they take off, it's all well and good. If they don't run, then you have a serious problem.

1) The guy now knows where you are and that you have a gun.
You say this like it's a bad thing. I sure as Hell don't have cotton candy for him.
2) You've given him time to react.
Which includes rethinking/retreating. This is not a bad thing.
3) If he is also armed, you might scare him into shooting at you.
It's possible, but if I'm chambering a round, it's not going to be in a direct line of sight. Further, I have the tactical advantage because I have, "home court advantage." Iknow the layout of my house, and they do not.
4) If there is more than one, you're on a-whole-nother level of screwed. Especially if they are split up. Then you have two or three guys in your house, possibly armed and definitely scared.
If you have that many perpetrators in your house, you think you're NOT screwed?

Just some counter-thoughts to your thoughts.:)

TBone
03-11-2011, 07:45 PM
I sent my wife to a gun safety course and she did very well... I use the SW 1911 with hollow points and she's a very good shot...my brother works for the CIA and advised if she ever has to use it to dump all rounds into the perp as she can use the excuse she was scared crapless helps with court...

Cornrow_Wallis
03-11-2011, 07:54 PM
I live alone right now anyways, so if I heard someone in the house I doubt I would even venture outside my room. Like I said above, I'd probably just train the shotgun on the bedroom door and call the five-o.

icehog3
03-11-2011, 07:58 PM
The users familarity with the firearm matters more in a moment of panic and stress than what the weapon actually is.

Exactly...in a stressful situation, you will instinctively revert back to your training...or lack of training. Frequent, proper training/practice is essential. For instance, if you will keep the thumb safety a handgun engaged while it is idle, practice disengaging the safety before each burst of fire.

For ammunition, as some have suggested, look for rounds (for indoor home protection) that will stop the threat without continuing long distances past the threat after impact.

Outside the home, a Glock is a good choice for a handgun for a beginner in that it is "double - double action" and has the added safety feature of the trigger safety. I would also suggest at least .40 caliber for adequate stopping power. A more experienced shooter may choose something like what I carry off duty, a Sig Sauer .45 caliber, which has "double -single action", which gives me more accuracy on subsequent rounds in stressful situations. Ideally, you would try several handguns at a range before purchasing to see what you are most comfortable with.

Again echoing others' sentiments, shotguns arer a good choice for in-home protection.....and an AR-15 for riot-control on your property couldn't hurt. ;)

TonySmith
03-11-2011, 08:05 PM
Just a thought, not much good except for home/personal defense

http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=638&category=Revolver&toggle=tr&breadcrumbseries=41

especially with this round

http://www.winchester.com/Products/New-Products/Pages/pdx1-410.aspx

hotreds
03-11-2011, 08:39 PM
Again echoing others' sentiments, shotguns arer a good choice for in-home protection.....and an AR-15 for riot-control on your property couldn't hurt. ;)

Your wife might like this model esp. for the ladies:

http://www.2dayblog.com/images/2008/january/hellokitty_ar15assault_2.jpg

Eleven
03-11-2011, 08:39 PM

Amen. We taught my youngest son (the only one still living at home) how to shoot when he was 9. My wife pretty much learned along with him.

He was a very mature 9, and the range masters at my local range took extra time with him, helping him out. We were able to just go there and rent the guns for him and my wife to shoot, my S&W 9mm was a little much for him at that age.

gettysburgfreak
03-11-2011, 08:45 PM
I'd go with an ar, they are easy to handle, you can keep it by your bed in hot standby, and you have a lot of ammo in one mag. Plus they are fun as hell to shoot.

floydpink
03-11-2011, 09:28 PM
PLEASE put a buttstock on that thing. If you can become extremely accurate with it as is, by all means, go ahead and use it. When people go out and buy a pistol gripped shotgun with a short barrel simply because it is short and "tactical", it scares the living hell out of me. I have shot guns all of my life, but the moment I tried this Mossberg, I was terrified that this weapon sells as greatly as it does as difficult as it is get a good picture sight and align with targets quickly. I am not hating on you, but mossberg just scares the hell out of me with some of the guns they make for the masses for "home-defense."

QFE

Not sure how good of a picture sight you could get in a dark room in a stressful situation.

I've put a few hundred rounds through my pistol and with the laser site, and can shoot very accurately.

I've shot the Mossberg only a few times and it was held slightly above waist level at a target which was at about 10 yards. I was quite pleased with the results.

Due to the fact I don't live alone, I keep birdshot in the Mossberg.

Just the same, I'll consider a buttstock and continue to pray I never need to use it.

taltos
03-12-2011, 05:04 AM
One other consideration is that if you turn on the tac light, make sure that you do it from a place of concealment as it makes a convenient aiming point for an armed intruder to fire back at you.

md4958
03-12-2011, 06:38 AM
Thanks for all the great information. Think I will take the class and then try some guns at the range before making a decision.

Roger, when are you taking the class? I might be so inclined to take it with you... Ive been meaning to do this for a while now.

Homebrewer
03-12-2011, 06:54 AM
I think you have to shoot a gun and see how it feels in your hand. That's why I love my Sig 9mm. Fits in my hand perfectly. Glocks are too boxy for my hand. I have a Mossberg w/pistol grip too, but If something goes down at night and I have to grab something fast, it's going to be a pistol.

Ratters
03-12-2011, 05:29 PM
Everyone has a differnt level of what is comfortable for them. I have a couple defense type shotguns but I keep a pistol by the bed, it's much more portable and easy to access quickly, especially if I need to move around the house. But go with what makes you comfortable. I also reccommend 9mms to my friends as the ammo is a lot cheaper so you are a lot more likely to practice with it. And since it is for home defense get a full size gun if you go handgun. Much more recoil friendly and you have a longer sight picture. Find a range that rents guns and try to find one that works for you. Most let you try shotguns as well. But go and practice practice practice. And when you are at home, dry fire practice is really helpful. Trains you muscles without flinching due to the recoil.

KenS
03-12-2011, 05:43 PM
Your wife might like this model esp. for the ladies:

http://www.2dayblog.com/images/2008/january/hellokitty_ar15assault_2.jpg

Can she just come stay at my house to protect us? :D

loki
03-12-2011, 06:05 PM
I would also suggest at least .40 caliber for adequate stopping power.
you do realize that with modern ballistics that 9, 40, 357sig, 45, and 10mm rounds have about the same effectiveness right?

hotreds
03-12-2011, 06:13 PM
I actually keep a snubnose police .38 revolver in my nightstand drawer, hopefully will never need it!

Stephen
03-12-2011, 06:30 PM
I just hang this on my front door. No problems as of yet:

http://static.texastribune.org/media/images/chuck-norris1_jpg_800x1000_q100.jpg

icehog3
03-12-2011, 06:42 PM
you do realize that with modern ballistics that 9, 40, 357sig, 45, and 10mm rounds have about the same effectiveness right?

Not too familiar with the science of it, I was basing my statement off what I have seen in my field, hands-on experience from my comrades in firefights. But I am definitely not schooled enough on the lab-testing part of it to debate your statement. :)

ATobin
03-12-2011, 09:57 PM
Not too familiar with the science of it, I was basing my statement off what I have seen in my field, hands-on experience from my comrades in firefights. But I am definitely not schooled enough on the lab-testing part of it to debate your statement. :)

:r

Oh and 1 vote for the Saiga 12.

Smokin Gator
03-13-2011, 06:31 AM
Me: Mossberg 500 for house. Smith and Wesson Airweight 38 for going out.

:tpd: Mine exactly.