PDA

View Full Version : B&M Smoking etiquette

Flynnster
03-09-2011, 06:29 PM
Hey guys, so I recently found out that Jack Schwartz is right down the street from one of my classes and I would love to stop in there and have a smoke, only problem is, I just got a bunch of cigars, so I don't need to buy any more. I feel like it is frowned upon to go to a shop and smoke but now buy anything. I do need to pick up some butane, but is that enough of a purchase to not be looked down upon for using their place to smoke?

Thanks!!

pektel
03-09-2011, 06:30 PM
If I were to bring my own smoke, I would buy at least one from them.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ogre
03-09-2011, 06:31 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

:tpd:

chippewastud79
03-09-2011, 06:32 PM
I would definitely buy something from the humidor instead of lighting up your own. Personally, I always purchase singles from the shop if I am going to smoke there. After some time I perhaps you can bring your own and smoke it second, but you need to support the business before you start using their facility. :2

Flynnster
03-09-2011, 06:33 PM
Alright, thanks for telling me what I thought guys!!! I thought it was completely off limits but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Also, that was a darn fast bunch of replies.

Emjaysmash
03-09-2011, 06:34 PM
+5 or whatever number we are on. you get the idea.

md4958
03-09-2011, 06:39 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

I would definitely buy something from the humidor instead of lighting up your own. Personally, I always purchase singles from the shop if I am going to smoke there. After some time I perhaps you can bring your own and smoke it second, but you need to support the business before you start using their facility. :2

+5 or whatever number we are on. you get the idea.

Not sure if its been mentioned already, but it is bad form to walk into ANY establishment with your own items and not purchase anything.

I always buy at least one cigar, and always smoke my own. I also make a point of telling them that I plan on doing that.

A simple "If I buy out of the humidor, do you mind if I smoke my own?" avoids stink eye later on.

EricF
03-09-2011, 06:43 PM
All the local B&M's I frequent either by myself or when herfing, let me bring my own in but I feel it is only right you do purchase something while there as a thank you, in a small way, for letting you smoke there.

Luckily none of the B&M's I go to charge a cutting fee.

hscmit
03-09-2011, 07:20 PM
All the local B&M's I frequent either by myself or when herfing, let me bring my own in but I feel it is only right you do purchase something while there as a thank you, in a small way, for letting you smoke there.

pretty much the same answers as most here I tend to like my smokes a little drier than most bm humidors are kept so I always bring a few sticks and purchase a couple as well, also purchase first and if I am smoking something they dont carry I take the band off before I even light it

markem
03-09-2011, 07:27 PM
Sometimes the B&M doesn't have any sticks you really want to purchase at that time. Doesn't mean that you can't ask the owner/staff person what they like and buy it for them. I've made good friends by doing that.

Ismith75
03-09-2011, 07:34 PM
Where do you go to school brother?

Flynnster
03-09-2011, 08:06 PM
I'm at DePaul, live in the lincoln park campus, but have a couple classes downtown.

Ismith75
03-09-2011, 08:16 PM
I'm at DePaul, live in the lincoln park campus, but have a couple classes downtown.
Nice, I go to UIC. Cant go wrong with Schwartz.

Flynnster
03-09-2011, 08:19 PM
I actually have only visited once, was not greeted, walked through the store, and was not spoken to once. I will give them another chance though.

I have had great luck at Iwan Ries, and even if you don't wanna buy anything it is work the stop to see an amazing classic store.

T.G
03-09-2011, 08:22 PM
Not sure if its been mentioned already, but it is bad form to walk into ANY establishment with your own items and not purchase anything.

I always buy at least one cigar, and always smoke my own. I also make a point of telling them that I plan on doing that.

A simple "If I buy out of the humidor, do you mind if I smoke my own?" avoids stink eye later on.

Excellent advice Moe!

HollywoodQue
03-09-2011, 08:31 PM
Great advice, at least 1 stick purchase is usually acceptable.

Ismith75
03-09-2011, 08:32 PM
I actually have only visited once, was not greeted, walked through the store, and was not spoken to once. I will give them another chance though.

I have had great luck at Iwan Ries, and even if you don't wanna buy anything it is work the stop to see an amazing classic store.

Totally agree on Iwan Ries, great store. There's a shop by UIC called Ralph's Cigars that you might wana check out. Its selection is minimal but its got a really nice community feel to it.

icehog3
03-09-2011, 09:02 PM
When you go back to Jack Schwartz, ask for Eric. He is a member here...and a pretty good hockey player to boot....so he is +2 in my book. :)

T.G
03-09-2011, 09:07 PM
Great advice, at least 1 stick purchase is usually acceptable.

Typically, I will not smoke a cigar that I just bought at a B&M as most B&M humidors are too moist for my tastes, so, my personal rule is that I try to buy a quantity equal to or exceeding the number of my own cigars I plan on smoking. I also try and match the quality within reason.

Miket156
03-10-2011, 12:21 AM
by EricF:

Have you ever thought of bringing your own cutter and lighter? If you bring your own cigar, bring your own supplies. Even if you buy something there, I wouldn't impose on the shop to cut a cigar you didn't buy there.

I usually don't want to smoke a cigar I just bought at a B&M unless its ready to be smoked. Often times the RH in a B&M is not what I prefer, so I'd rather take it home and let it rest in my humidor. If that's the case, I would ask the owner if could smoke one of mine (after buying cigars or accessories there) and if he says its ok, I would use my own cutter and lighter. I always take cigar bands off anyway, but if the cigar I'm smoking isn't sold at the B&M I would be sure to roll it up and toss it in the waste basket.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Zeuceone
03-10-2011, 12:24 AM
What is the reason for the disposal of bands on cigars that the B&M does not carry?

CasaDooley
03-10-2011, 12:28 AM
Sometimes the B&M doesn't have any sticks you really want to purchase at that time. Doesn't mean that you can't ask the owner/staff person what they like and buy it for them. I've made good friends by doing that.

Never thought of that, but I will remember it. Great idea Mark!:tu

Miket156
03-10-2011, 12:58 AM
Zeuceone:

The reason I dispose of a band from a cigar that was not purchased at that store is I believe its poor etiquette to show products from somewhere else. Why? That does nothing to promote the store you are frequenting. It may be OK to smoke a cigar purchased from somewhere else if you ask permission first. I think its a delicate balance. Try bringing a bag of Burger King burgers into McDonalds, sit at a table and start eating! Would you do that?

Cheers,

Mike T.

emopunker2004
03-10-2011, 01:09 AM
my local B&M does not mind if you bring your own as long as you spend $$ there. Usually when herfing there I bring my own, and purchase alcohol or food there, sometimes a stick or two. If i bring my own i usually tip a larger sum of money as well. YMMV

NCRadioMan
03-10-2011, 01:51 AM
Have you ever thought of bringing your own cutter and lighter? If you bring your own cigar, bring your own supplies. Even if you buy something there, I wouldn't impose on the shop to cut a cigar you didn't buy there.

Its not that you can't use your own stuff. A cutting fee is basically a cover charge so you can smoke there not not exactly a fee to cut cigars.

One local around here will charge a $7 "cutting fee" if you want to smoke there but don't buy a cigar from there. So either way, they get some money coming in.

mosesbotbol
03-10-2011, 05:03 AM
One of the worst things one can do at a B&M is being boorish. Show some class and respect for the shop and clientele that visit.

thecatch83
03-10-2011, 05:07 AM
Now if we're discussing a lounge or club type setting where fees are paid, then by all means bring in your coolidor and toke away! Buying at least one single if you're going to smoke your own serves two fold.....you are supporting the local shop and in addition, you're replenishing your own supply.

In regards to the "cutting fee", this is analogous to a "corkage" fee finer restaurants will charge for opening a bottle of wine supplied by the customer.......usually between $20-$25.00

Stephen
03-10-2011, 05:30 AM

Miket156
03-10-2011, 08:29 AM
by NCRadioman:

Its not that you can't use your own stuff. A cutting fee is basically a cover charge so you can smoke there not not exactly a fee to cut cigars.

One local around here will charge a $7 "cutting fee" if you want to smoke there but don't buy a cigar from there. So either way, they get some money coming in.

Instead of a cutting fee, I would just buy some of their cigars. If i were able to engage one of the employees about one or two cigars they have in stock that I never tried, I might get a recommendation/suggestion as to which one or two cigars I might like based on what I already smoke. Or, ask about a cigar from somewhere other than the Dominican, which I normally smoke.

I don't like "cover charges", but I understand that there's no such thing as a free lunch. -(P

Cheers,

Mike T.

JackSchwartz
03-10-2011, 09:16 AM
Flynnster, first of all you should have been greeted when you stopped by. I apologize for that, no excuses. The first thing I was told when I got the job here is that every single person who walks in our shop gets treated the same. If you decide to stop by again I can assure you you will be treated right.

Second, no problem with you bringing a cigar or two with you. Stop by, say hello, smoke a cigar and hang out for a bit. No need to purchase anything right away, I know funds can get tight while you're going to school. I know that if we treat people right and provide a great place for them to smoke they'll be back and they'll make purchases.

I just added wifi to the shop so if you have any classwork you need to do you can bring your computer with you...of course you need to make a purchase if you want me to provide you with the password:D

Please stop by when you get a chance, I love meeting folks from Cigar Asylum (except when I meet icehog3 on the ice :sl)

Tom, playoffs are starting now. Our first game is this Saturday. Good luck to you and the boys.

Eric

Lear31MX
03-10-2011, 09:30 AM
Second, no problem with you bringing a cigar or two with you. Stop by, say hello, smoke a cigar and hang out for a bit. No need to purchase anything right away, I know funds can get tight while you're going to school. I know that if we treat people right and provide a great place for them to smoke they'll be back and they'll make purchases.

Eric

After reading this, and the other threads on B&M owner/cutomers. It sounds like you have a great place and your a ture BOTL. :tu

And I totally agree with treat them right and they'll be back.

Flynnster
03-10-2011, 09:37 AM
Flynnster, first of all you should have been greeted when you stopped by. I apologize for that, no excuses. The first thing I was told when I got the job here is that every single person who walks in our shop gets treated the same. If you decide to stop by again I can assure you you will be treated right.

I just added wifi to the shop so if you have any classwork you need to do you can bring your computer with you...of course you need to make a purchase if you want me to provide you with the password:D

Please stop by when you get a chance, I love meeting folks from Cigar Asylum (except when I meet icehog3 on the ice :sl)

Tom, playoffs are starting now. Our first game is this Saturday. Good luck to you and the boys.

Eric

What a fantastic thing for a company/employee to do. I will for sure be stopping in for my next cigar purchase to you guys. I still would feel bad not buying anything and using your space, but the fact that you say that is acceptable shows how much service (idk if that is the proper word) means to yall. :tu

md4958
03-10-2011, 09:57 AM

Eric

Very nice Eric :tu

JackSchwartz
03-10-2011, 10:00 AM
If you feel the need to make a purchase we have some Davidoff Mini Cigarillos that are $.90/ea....just don't pay with a credit card:D.

If you need butane we fill lighters for free so bring your lighter(s) with you if you need a top off.

I wonder if I was around the last time you stopped by. I was on vacation for the last two weeks of February. Do you remember seeing an incredibly handsome, overweight bald guy when you came in?

Hope to see you soon, Flynnster!

icehog3
03-10-2011, 10:43 AM

Eric

Good luck to you guys, too, Eric....Hope see you soon, on or off the ice. :)

mosesbotbol
03-10-2011, 10:49 AM
Jack Schwartz sounds like a classy place to do business in the Chicago area!

N2 GOLD
03-10-2011, 11:52 AM

WOW, some have a cutting fee... :confused:

md4958
03-10-2011, 11:56 AM
WOW, some have a cutting fee... :confused:

Some establishments have a "cutting fee" if you dont purchase cigars from them. can be anywhere from $5- $25.

Sometimes it just makes more sense to buy a cigar out of their humidor. Sometimes (Stanza di Cigari in Boston is an example) the cutting fee is half the cost of their least expensive cigar.