PDA

View Full Version : rookie with a draw question

G22inSC
03-07-2011, 08:44 PM
I am embarrassed to ask this question; however, I figure I am just beginning to learn the world of cigars so here goes. I smoked a Padron 3000 the other day that was great (in my opinion). The B&M had labelled the cigar as mild/med but I think it was more on the med side. Great taste and a light "puff" every now and then would provide generous smoke. Now for my question. I just finished smoking a Gurkha Symphony that I just wanted to be over by the end. The taste was fine, but the draw was killing me. I would literally have to try to suck the cigar down my throat every 20-30 seconds to keep it going with little smoke at all. I honestly feel like my tongue/mouth are sore from drawing so hard.

The cigar's feel seemed fine to me except that it was a little hard right near the head. I assume that is the issue. In my rookie opinion, it was not to dry or wet. Is this what they mean about being overly "tight" or is something else going on? How do you alleviate this in the future? Thanks and sorry for the probably obvious pitiful question.

VirtualSmitty
03-07-2011, 08:50 PM
I just finished smoking a Gurkha Symphony that I just wanted to be over by the end.

That's actually the standard reaction to smoking any Gurkha product, don't worry :tu

Bill86
03-07-2011, 08:50 PM
1. Don't guy Gurkha (that's for you Tom :tu, and the rest of the board)
2. In my experiences chopping the cap end about 1-1.5 inches off will fix the problem, or at least make it tolerable.

NCRadioMan
03-07-2011, 08:51 PM
Sounds like it was plugged. You get those every once in a while since it's a handmade product they all won't be perfect. Padron comes very close. :D

When I get a plugged cigar, I pitch it and grab another.

Always test the draw before lighting. If it's too tight, put it back in the humidor and get another cigar. Time can open it up.

MurphysLaw
03-07-2011, 08:51 PM
Are you using a cutter or a punch? Sometimes I find just cutting a little more helps. Even just rolling the cut end between your fingers can loosen a tight draw.

Cincysmoker
03-07-2011, 08:57 PM
You had a plugged cigar. Unfortunately this is something you run into when smoking cigars. There is a product made called a draw poker which looks like a long needle almost. You would push it through the cut part of the cigar to try and open up the cigar. For example i had a J Fuego Origin Toro that was the same way. Most of the cigar felt fine but towards the cut part of the cigar it felt really tightly packed. I used the tool to push through it and the cigar ended up smoking fine. Sometimes the plugged part of the cigar can be further down in the cigar. When i first started smoking cigars and would run into a plugged cigar i would smoke through it. Now i've been smoking so long that i am at the point that when i run into this and can't get the draw open enough, i just throw it away. As much as it pains me, its not worth it because the whole point of smoking a cigar is to relax and enjoy yourself. You can do that if you have the experience you did. Sometimes you can also get a cigar's draw to open up a little bit by "massaging it". By that i mean rolling it in your fingers and slightly pressing in on it. Doesn't always work but sometimes it helps. I will add though that there are plenty of cigars that when you feel them, they feel extremely solid and they end up having a perfect draw. If you liked the taste of the cigar, i would reccomend picking up another one at some point and trying it again. I always smoke three of a cigar to trully form an opinion of it.

JaKaacH
03-07-2011, 09:03 PM
One of the lessons learned here.

Padron=:tu
Gurkha=:td

pnoon
03-07-2011, 09:04 PM
You had a plugged cigar. Unfortunately this is something you run into when smoking cigars. There is a product made called a draw poker which looks like a long needle almost. You would push it through the cut part of the cigar to try and open up the cigar. For example i had a J Fuego Origin Toro that was the same way. Most of the cigar felt fine but towards the cut part of the cigar it felt really tightly packed. I used the tool to push through it and the cigar ended up smoking fine. Sometimes the plugged part of the cigar can be further down in the cigar. When i first started smoking cigars and would run into a plugged cigar i would smoke through it. Now i've been smoking so long that i am at the point that when i run into this and can't get the draw open enough, i just throw it away. As much as it pains me, its not worth it because the whole point of smoking a cigar is to relax and enjoy yourself. You can do that if you have the experience you did. Sometimes you can also get a cigar's draw to open up a little bit by "massaging it". By that i mean rolling it in your fingers and slightly pressing in on it. Doesn't always work but sometimes it helps. I will add though that there are plenty of cigars that when you feel them, they feel extremely solid and they end up having a perfect draw. If you liked the taste of the cigar, i would reccomend picking up another one at some point and trying it again. I always smoke three of a cigar to trully form an opinion of it.

Welcome to Cigar Asylum.
You should head on over to the New Inmate forum and introduce yourself. We're a friendly bunch.

OHRD
03-08-2011, 06:50 AM
Somebody help me out...which BOTL on here sells the draw tool? I have one at home and LOVE it...

David, you can buy a tool that will help open up the draw on plugged sticks to prevent wasting it.

wayner123
03-08-2011, 07:16 AM
Somebody help me out...which BOTL on here sells the draw tool? I have one at home and LOVE it...

David, you can buy a tool that will help open up the draw on plugged sticks to prevent wasting it.

Slickster81 sells a very nice one:

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i133/wayner1234/Cigars/IMG_5741_2_1.jpg

boom
03-08-2011, 07:28 AM

I do as well... Working on a batch now to have some on hand,,,

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff115/baseworks/Draw%20Tools/100_4147.jpg

OLS
03-08-2011, 08:20 AM
Always test the draw before lighting. If it's too tight, put it back in the humidor and get another cigar. Time can open it up.Third Chapter of Greg, Verse 1 and 2. Truer words have never been spoken.
You'd be surprised at how many people cut a cigar, put it in their mouth and light it
and only find out air won't go through it after they have thoroughly charred the end.
A poor drawing cigar simply needs to go into a dry box, out on a countertop for a week or so or
left alone to age for a few years. 8 times in 10, the cigar becomes smokeable.
But once you char the tip, might as well throw it away or use a poker on it immediately.

BloodSpite
03-08-2011, 08:46 AM
For my money having a poker is a necessity.

It's either that or chucking the cigar, and personally I have no desire to chuck $15 bucks or more in to the yard because the durn thing wont smoke.

tsolomon
03-08-2011, 09:46 AM
I haven't had much luck with draw tools, but if it's plugged I will dry box for a couple of days to see if the draw improves. If that doesn't work I chuck it. :2

cigarcore
12-14-2011, 07:44 PM
check out Plugged Cigar Tool on E Bay. Works every time.

icehog3
12-14-2011, 07:46 PM

Never owned a cigar tool that worked "every time". ;)

Remo
12-14-2011, 07:59 PM
Never owned a cigar tool that worked "every time". ;)

Maybe he meant "every time, so far" :sh

pnoon
12-14-2011, 08:26 PM
Welcome to Cigar Asylum.
Generally speaking, folks here prefer to buy from contributing members.
;)

ApexAZ
12-14-2011, 08:58 PM
I like some Gurkhas, but they do have some consistency issues when it comes to draw. They can be found for relatively cheap online and I figure you get what you pay for. I too like the flavors of many of them, but find draw issues from time to time. Their wrappers are also extremely fragile and I've had several come apart by the final 3rd. Not bad for knock around smokes though.

cigarcore
12-17-2011, 06:07 PM
Check out Plugged Cigar Tool on E Bay, It's the plugged cigar tool that works most of the time.

icehog3
12-17-2011, 06:09 PM
Check out Plugged Cigar Tool on E Bay, It's the plugged cigar tool that works most of the time.

Any plans to contribute other than hawking this tool? As one of the Admins explained, several contributing members here sell plug tools, and we are much more likely to buy from someone we know.

bobarian
12-17-2011, 06:10 PM
Welcome to Cigar Asylum.
Generally speaking, folks here prefer to buy from contributing members.
;)

Please heed the advice of a mod and take the time to introduce yourself and tell us a little about your business. If not, please stick to social media to shill your ebay items. :2

icehog3
12-17-2011, 06:13 PM
I have made cigarcore "green", as it appears he is only here to sell us his tool. ;)

Bill86
12-17-2011, 06:16 PM

Which one is it? :confused:

I bet 60% of the time it works every time :)

cigarcore
12-17-2011, 06:21 PM
Just kidding, the Plugged Cigar Tool Works every time.

icehog3
12-17-2011, 06:50 PM
Just kidding, the Plugged Cigar Tool Works every time.

Yet your flEabay ad says this:

The CIGAR CORE works with most cigars

cigarcore
12-17-2011, 07:06 PM
Just a long time cigar smoker, looking for anything that would open a plugged cigar..
I made this tool for myself and thought that it worked so well that every cigar smoker would use it. It really does work..

Robert, Indiana

backwoods357
12-17-2011, 07:08 PM
Wow, this guy is tenacious.
Good lord, it actually turns your cigar into a straw, no thanks.

kelmac07
12-17-2011, 07:31 PM
Why does it have an "egg" on the end of it? :confused:

Bill86
12-17-2011, 07:35 PM
Wow, this guy is tenacious.
Good lord, it actually turns your cigar into a straw, no thanks.

Yeah I just watched the youtube video, WOW does that remove way too much tobacco. No draw to Windtunnel in less than 30 seconds.

mkarnold1
12-17-2011, 07:35 PM
Just a long time cigar smoker, looking for anything that would open a plugged cigar..
I made this tool for myself and thought that it worked so well that every cigar smoker would use it. It really does work..

Robert, Indiana

I would suggest adding to some conversations and offering your opinions on something other than the product you are attempting to sell us. If you are a long time cigar smoker, you should have more to offer than "buy this thing"

backwoods357
12-17-2011, 08:03 PM
Why does it have an "egg" on the end of it? :confused:

It seems the egg piece is fixed to the outer cylinder, the smaller knob is attached to a solid core inside. You drill a hole through the cigar by spinning the egg and pull it back out of the cigar, then push the ridiculously large amount of removed tobacco out of the tool.

cigarcore
12-17-2011, 08:28 PM
I have just had to many problems with plugged cigars over the years... Don't have that problem anymore.. Dosen't really remove that much tobacco from cigar.. I smoke 3 or 4 cigars a day and simply want to enjoy them.

cigarcore
12-17-2011, 08:59 PM
Thanks for all the conversation, but it getting late in Indiana and I still have that 4th cigar to smoke.

pnoon
12-17-2011, 11:16 PM
Thanks for joining Cigar Asylum. Since you are persistently promoting your draw tool, please do so in our retailer/vendor sub-forum. That is where the rest of our respected reatilers advertise.

Thanks. And welcome.

Sonic04GT
12-19-2011, 05:24 PM
I'm on my phone so sorry if I missed it but what do those tools cost? I've had a couple plugged cigars in the past.