PDA

View Full Version : Tar substance at the tip of the cigar

Average Joe
03-07-2011, 07:52 PM
Anyone else experienced this or know what is causing it?

Sometimes when I smoke a cigar a black tar like substance will form at the tip of the cigar. I know its there because I can taste it. I can get rid of it by cutting off a 1/4 inch of cigar, and it won't come back after that. Strangest thing is it has been happening recently more than ever. In the past 10 years of smoking I have had maybe 5 like this before a month or so ago.

enlightenedcigar
03-07-2011, 07:54 PM
Had one about two weeks ago that did this to me really bad. Couldn't even finish the stick.

JaKaacH
03-07-2011, 07:54 PM

Sometimes when I smoke a cigar a black tar like substance will form at the tip of the cigar. I know its there because I can taste it. I can get rid of it by cutting off a 1/4 inch of cigar, and it won't come back after that. Strangest thing is it has been happening recently more than ever. In the past 10 years of smoking I have had maybe 5 like this before a month or so ago.

I never get the tar at the tip unless I use a punch. The small hole left by the punch seems to make it collect around the edge of the hole.

md4958
03-07-2011, 07:56 PM

Thats tar. Its caused by a couple different things. Are you punching your cigars or cutting them?

innova
03-07-2011, 08:02 PM
I never get the tar at the tip unless I use a punch. The small hole left by the punch seems to make it collect around the edge of the hole.

That's been my experience as well, when I clip it too short it happens.

Average Joe
03-07-2011, 08:34 PM
Punch/small clip explains it.

Any idea why it happens some times but not others?

Bill86
03-07-2011, 08:56 PM
I'm lost, I punch all of my cigars and never get any tar. :sh

md4958
03-07-2011, 09:07 PM
Punch/small clip explains it.

Any idea why it happens some times but not others?

tighter draw, higher RH, environmental conditions... remember, youre dealing with a natural product.

One thought might be that a punch used on a 40RG cigar will remove a larger percentage of cap, than a punch used on a 56RG cigar. The smaller opening can cause an accumulation of nastiness. When you cut the tip, youre removing that nastiness.

I'm lost, I punch all of my cigars and never get any tar. :sh

Do you use different sized punches on your cigars Bill?

toasterhead
03-07-2011, 09:38 PM
I got a nasty tar experience on two separate occasions from cutting a torpedo midway up the shoulder on an angle. I agree that a larger diameter cut may prevent this unpleasant experience.

I can still taste that bitter goo...

Dave

Bill86
03-07-2011, 09:40 PM
Do you use different sized punches on your cigars Bill?

Nope Moe, Xikar 009 Punch every time. Maybe it's because I'm using a larger punch on all 50 RG or less smokes? :sh

md4958
03-07-2011, 09:44 PM

Dave

trying... not...to... make...rude... remark :r:r:r:r

Nope Moe, Xikar 009 Punch every time. Maybe it's because I'm using a larger punch on all 50 RG or less smokes? :

That sounds probable.

Bill86
03-07-2011, 09:46 PM

That's what she said.

trying... not...to... make...rude... remark :r:r:r:r

That sounds probable.

Glad I went with the 009 then.

MurphysLaw
03-08-2011, 06:49 AM
I noticed this as well when using a punch, haven't seen it since I bought my Xikar VX cutter

wayner123
03-08-2011, 06:57 AM
tighter draw, higher RH, environmental conditions... remember, youre dealing with a natural product.

This is the best advice given so far. I do find it happens more in colder weather.

N2 GOLD
03-08-2011, 11:54 AM
I've had this happen to me a hand full of time over the last 13+ years. I always thought it was just a mixture/combination of smoke, humidity & saliva...

but then again what do I know... -(P

HK3-
03-08-2011, 12:42 PM
Hmmmm... A few weeks back I split a culebra with one guy and a woman. Our two were fine but hers kept leaving brown goop on her lips so she put it out. Thought it was odd that ours were fine but hers produced mass amounts of tar. :confused:

wayner123
03-08-2011, 12:46 PM
Here is a picture for everyone's enjoyment:http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i133/wayner1234/Cigars/IMG_2615_1_2_1.jpg

This was from an Anejo back in '07.

e-man67
03-08-2011, 12:55 PM
Here is a picture for everyone's enjoyment:http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i133/wayner1234/Cigars/IMG_2615_1_2_1.jpg

This was from an Anejo back in '07.

Ummm..sweet sweet nectar!

Bill86
03-08-2011, 01:18 PM
Wow that is quite disgusting. Looks like your cigar got shot and is bleeding. I'm glad I've never had that happen.

03-08-2011, 01:43 PM
Had that happen more frequently as of late too. Not sure why. I've been told it is often cause by drawing too frequently, yet I frequently re-light due to the fact I can't shut up long enough to keep my cigars lit.

I have been trying lower humidity in my 'dor, again opposite from what I've heard the cause to be. I hear folks say hot-box and/or too wet = tar on the head. Yet I'm doing the opposite and it seems to be happening more often. Maybe 1 out of every 5-10 smokes.

wayner123
03-08-2011, 02:14 PM
Had that happen more frequently as of late too. Not sure why. I've been told it is often cause by drawing too frequently, yet I frequently re-light due to the fact I can't shut up long enough to keep my cigars lit.

I have been trying lower humidity in my 'dor, again opposite from what I've heard the cause to be. I hear folks say hot-box and/or too wet = tar on the head. Yet I'm doing the opposite and it seems to be happening more often. Maybe 1 out of every 5-10 smokes.

What is the temperature like when you are smoking?

N2 GOLD
03-08-2011, 02:31 PM

Would the temp be a big deal???

wayner123
03-08-2011, 02:39 PM
Would the temp be a big deal???

I have found that the temperature plays a big part in this happening. I have never had it happen in the spring or summer down here, or when the temperature outside ( I only smoke outside) is above 50F.

03-08-2011, 02:53 PM

Well, it varies. I do not smoke outside during winter. I DO live in Michigan. Anyway, in winter I usually smoke in my sunroom which is heated, but cooler than the rest of the house. So usually 60.

I also smoke in a couple cigar bars or smoke shops around town that have normal room temps 65-70.

croatan
03-08-2011, 02:57 PM
I've never been able to associate an environmental condition with it. It's happened to me with Cubans, non-Cubans, aged, fresh, indoors, outdoors, with dry boxing, and without dry boxing.

I have noticed it tends to happen for me more with certain cigars than others--QDO Panatelas, for one, seem prone to it. But I've had it happen with all sorts of cigars, even an '80s Davidoff 3000.

When it happens to me, it's usually within the first 1/4 of the cigar and sometimes can be cut past or, if you're careful to avoid touching the tar with your tongue or lips, can be smoked through and will often eventually stop (assuming you want to try; otherwise, pitch it).

Whatever the cause, it's annoying when it happens--which, thankfully, isn't often.

Bill86
03-08-2011, 03:02 PM
even an '80s Davidoff 3000.

oh that sucks, I would hate to have to pitch a stick like that.