PDA

View Full Version : Ever Wondered Plume Or Mold

Volusianator
03-07-2011, 12:15 PM
This is mold damnit!
http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/zz91/Volusianator1/Cigar%20Stuff/DSC00140.jpg

sam a
03-07-2011, 12:17 PM
think of it as nature's cotton candy

markem
03-07-2011, 12:18 PM
That's some might fine plume there, it is. :r

kickerb
03-07-2011, 12:22 PM
is that smokable at this point?

Average Joe
03-07-2011, 12:25 PM
I went into a store in TN that had near all of the stock molded over. Woman asked why I didn't want to purchase anything and didn't understand when I told her...

HK3-
03-07-2011, 12:27 PM
blue cheese! :)

Skywalker
03-07-2011, 12:31 PM
Even the band looks like it's plumed out (down towards the bottom)!;)

Blueface
03-07-2011, 12:33 PM

I would wipe it down, let it dry out for a day or so in a dry humi or on my counter and light up and enjoy.

Zeuceone
03-07-2011, 12:34 PM
it must be made from the tobacco if its growing on it, so smoke it.

markem
03-07-2011, 12:36 PM

:confused:

Da Klugs
03-07-2011, 12:37 PM
75% rh b&m specialty of the house... you get your mold salad with the meal for no additional cost. :)

bvilchez

:confused:

EDIT: Mark beat me to it

HK3-
I think this is called "Christmas Tree"? ;)

CigarNut
03-07-2011, 12:54 PM
Was the band removed at one point? (does not look like it lines up correctly)

Maybe it's a fake... (mold and all) :r

sobranie10
03-07-2011, 01:16 PM
If this was cheese you were aging you would have a treasure!

Ashcan Bill
03-07-2011, 01:26 PM
Furry little bugger. :ss

OLS
03-07-2011, 01:31 PM
PERSONALLY I would not smoke that. But like they said, wipe it down and smoke it if you feel like
"Hey it's an OPUSX and dammit, I am going to smoke it." It's your cigar. And if you are overweight,
I personally have found the black variety better than dieting for producing weight loss, lack of appetite
and a lil liquid down south.

T.G
03-07-2011, 01:46 PM
Was the band removed at one point? (does not look like it lines up correctly)

The alignment problem is because it's been trimmed. AFAIK, they do that to all the bands that go on the lanceros, as they would wrap all the way back around to the face (front) if they didn't.

---
ADDENDUM: Here's the untrimmed band:
http://people.ambrosiasw.com/~andrew/opusbands/ox_band_384x173.jpg

You can see how, even after trimming off an end, it still wraps back around to cover the "Op" in "Opus X" on the opposite side. That's why looks so strange, the under flap of the band is taller and rounded, while the over flap is shorter and straight. The straight lines across the bottom of the band still line up perfectly though.

sikk50
03-07-2011, 01:55 PM
Ask Russkin about smoking moldy Opus. He had a death cough for weeks

03-07-2011, 01:58 PM
A small amount of mold is no biggie to wipe off, then smoke the cigar. That is a LOT of mold and I wouldn't smoke it. Some mold can be rather harmful so, I would shy away from a concentration that high. I mean, it looks like a sheep ready for the shears for pete's sake.

Mugen910
03-07-2011, 01:58 PM
Dude you need to stop keeping your cigars in your sock drawer or they will all look like that some day.

d'am
03-07-2011, 02:00 PM
It's hard to make out the details in your pic...is that Brie or Camembert? :D

Goldie
03-07-2011, 02:05 PM
Dependent on the B&M you visit, that is in fact plume and they should probably charge a few extra bucks for it, but they will let it slide this time.

Skywalker
03-07-2011, 02:22 PM
Dude you need to stop keeping your cigars in your sock drawer or they will all look like that some day.

It's hard to make out the details in your pic...is that Brie or Camembert? :D

Dependent on the B&M you visit, that is in fact plume and they should probably charge a few extra bucks for it, but they will let it slide this time.

:r:r:r

tx_tuff
03-07-2011, 02:23 PM
Would love to see how much is hiding under that cedar!

Volusianator
03-07-2011, 02:28 PM

Hell yeah, it's not on the foot, wipe it off and light up.

e-man67
03-07-2011, 02:28 PM

That is where the shrooms are growin...

Volusianator
03-07-2011, 02:39 PM

Nothing, under the cedar is clean.

tx_tuff
03-07-2011, 03:03 PM
I'm surprised, have seen cigars with cedar mold under it before the uncovered part.

sikk50
03-07-2011, 03:10 PM
I'm surprised, have seen cigars with cedar mold under it before the uncovered part.

Word.

Fuentes are pretty notorious for that

SvilleKid
03-07-2011, 04:40 PM
If the mold is surface only, and not up into the tobacco of the foot, wipe it down with a cloth that has a little alcohol (I have used vodka successfully in the past), then let it air out. Vodka is very close to odorless, and you don't need the cloth wet, just moist. If you get sunshine for a day or so, let the sunlight hit it. Mold doesn't like the sun either.

I keep a very close watch on the Anejo's I have in my coolers, because they seem more prone than any others to mold up.

Volusianator
03-07-2011, 05:41 PM
If the mold is surface only, and not up into the tobacco of the foot, wipe it down with a cloth that has a little alcohol (I have used vodka successfully in the past), then let it air out. Vodka is very close to odorless, and you don't need the cloth wet, just moist. If you get sunshine for a day or so, let the sunlight hit it. Mold doesn't like the sun either.

I keep a very close watch on the Anejo's I have in my coolers, because they seem more prone than any others to mold up.
I'm comfortable wiping it off and torching it, no mold on the foot.

stevieray
03-07-2011, 05:46 PM
Life is too short to smoke a cigar that furry...:2

Thammy
03-07-2011, 07:16 PM
Argh. Mold scares me too much. Could never smoke it even if it was just a tiny weenie bit.

Bill86
03-07-2011, 07:23 PM
Jesus that cigar has a full 5 o'clock shadow going.

Thammy
03-07-2011, 07:31 PM
Jesus that cigar has a full 5 o'clock shadow going.

Tyler Hamilton likes this.:)

MurphysLaw
03-07-2011, 08:37 PM

:tpd:

jsd
03-07-2011, 10:38 PM
Wow. Was that guy hiding somewhere at the bottom of your humidor? Not sure I've ever seen a cigar that engulfed in mold.

T.G
03-07-2011, 10:50 PM
Wow. Was that guy hiding somewhere at the bottom of your humidor? Not sure I've ever seen a cigar that engulfed in mold.

Nah, it's normal. Supposed to look like that. It's the new Fuente Opus X Q-Tip vitola.

SvilleKid
03-07-2011, 11:00 PM
Nah, it's normal. Supposed to look like that. It's the new Fuente Opus X Q-Tip vitola.

:r:r
Gotta love those guys at AF!! They just keep coming up with new ways to market those Opus X's!!:D

guitar4001
03-08-2011, 04:20 PM
that opie is wearing a sweater!

Bad Finger
03-09-2011, 01:54 PM
So, what does actual plume look like then? (needing a reference point)

T.G
03-09-2011, 02:01 PM

It's a fine crystalline coating that will typically cover the cigar evenly.

Christiel49
03-09-2011, 02:17 PM

:tpd:

Mold in anything is really kinda scary! I don't even like blue cheese or it's family ;s

SmokeyJoe
03-09-2011, 02:31 PM

From Gary Manelski at www.cigars.about.com

Definition: Plume or bloom is a fine white powder or dust which forms on cigars when oils exude from the tobacco as a result of aging. Plume is a good sign that a cigar has been properly aged, and it can easily be brushed off. Not to be confused with mold, which is a bluish fungus that stains the wrapper.
Also Known As: Bloom

Also:
http://www.cigaraficionado.com/webfeatures/show/id/5070

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/webfeatures/show/id/5439

Volusianator
03-09-2011, 03:27 PM

http://people.ambrosiasw.com/~andrew/cigars/or_1996_opus_x_plume_closeup.jpg

kaisersozei
03-09-2011, 04:18 PM
Cool pic, Wade--hope that's one of your sticks :dr

Bad Finger
03-09-2011, 06:03 PM
It's a fine crystalline coating that will typically cover the cigar evenly.

Well, I know that. I just wanted to see the most extreme picture of it you guys had on file. Thought there might be some extremely old sticks out there, right?

nick2021
03-09-2011, 07:36 PM
man, a shame to see all that mold on a cigar :(

T.G
03-09-2011, 07:57 PM
Well, I know that. I just wanted to see the most extreme picture of it you guys had on file. Thought there might be some extremely old sticks out there, right?

Well, you should have been more clear in asking for a picture then. ;)

I actually did look a bit for some photos because I figured you didn't know what it was nor what it looked like based on your post, but I couldn't find anything that I felt was clear and a good depiction of the condition, and I never bothered to shoot photos of the cigars I've owned which developed it.

Age isn't necessarily a determining factor. Some cigars will never develop plume, others can develop it in very short time periods. It has more to do with the leaf and the storage than anything else.

Swif
03-09-2011, 08:06 PM
Looks good.

I need to get my cigars to look like that

OLS
03-10-2011, 11:49 AM
If the mold is surface only, and not up into the tobacco of the foot, wipe it down with a cloth that has a little alcohol (I have used vodka successfully in the past), then let it air out. I also agree on this, provided maybe you snip 1/8 inch off the foot and it's CLEAN,
then wipe it off, wipe it again with vodka, then smoke it. I thought it must surely be under
the cedar wrap. And what I am REALLY saying is that I still would not smoke it, but
for YOU, if you see a clean foot and you remove all that, it might not hurt you. Look at
it this way, you are already dying a little inside just from the grief. Trouble with
smoking them like that is that you can get a little of that fluff in your sinuses and
be utterly convinced the whole cigar is moldy. It will affect the taste of the smoke
so strongly but you could hand it to someone else and they might not even detect it.
You should be OK, though if you clean it....IF NOT, I get your Packers tickets.

Volusianator
03-10-2011, 12:57 PM
Cool pic, Wade--hope that's one of your sticks :dr
Unfortunately no, one of a friends.

pektel
03-10-2011, 01:06 PM
Got a Monte Open Junior with what I think is mold on the foot:

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t228/pektel/IMG_1285.jpg

I sent the vendor a little email letting them know. They insist it's plume because it's white, and mold is green. I told them I'm not upset, and I don't expect 100% from something like cigars, and don't expect a replacement or anything for something as trivial as 1 cigar. I know that in a full box, there will be duds, so if 1 tubo has this, no biggie.

HK3-
03-10-2011, 01:08 PM
Vendor needs a little education...:sl

wayner123
03-10-2011, 01:09 PM
Got a Monte Open Junior with what I think is mold on the foot:

I sent the vendor a little email letting them know. They insist it's plume because it's white, and mold is green. I told them I'm not upset, and I don't expect 100% from something like cigars, and don't expect a replacement or anything for something as trivial as 1 cigar. I know that in a full box, there will be duds, so if 1 tubo has this, no biggie.

I have never seen green mold on a cigar. I have seen water spots, but not true mold that is green in color.

OLS
03-10-2011, 01:10 PM
Plume has no hair. ;)
I'd snip that Monte Open back 1/8 inch, too, see where it leads. Might be good to salvage.

Dukeuni
03-10-2011, 01:12 PM
I just hate how vendors and B&M's lie about mold. Do they REALLY believe it is plume? I mean come on! It is so obvious what mold is vs. plume.

Volusianator
03-10-2011, 01:18 PM
Plume has no hair. ;)
I'd snip that Monte Open back 1/8 inch, too, see where it leads. Might be good to salvage.

And I would not, once mold is on the foot, just accept the loss and move on. :2

T.G
03-10-2011, 01:18 PM
Got a Monte Open Junior with what I think is mold on the foot

From here it looks like it could be mold.

Send them this photo, ask them if they think this wood is plumeing too.
http://www.nachi.org/images08/white-mold.jpg

Or tell them to go blanch a tomato and peel it, then leave it out for a week or so, then when it starts looking like this, they smoke it, because it's all "plumey":
http://thumbs.ifood.tv/files/images/food/tomato-mold-01.jpghttp://thumbs.ifood.tv/files/images/food/tomato-mold-02.jpg

T.G
03-10-2011, 01:38 PM
I have never seen green mold on a cigar. I have seen water spots, but not true mold that is green in color.

I have. Dark green anyway. Unfortunately the flash washed out the color a bit on the top cigar, the bottom cigar shows a bit more accurate representation of the color, especially around the cap area since that was furthest from the flash.

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/9060/1000859w.jpg

wayner123
03-10-2011, 02:24 PM
I have. Dark green anyway. Unfortunately the flash washed out the color a bit on the top cigar, the bottom cigar shows a bit more accurate representation of the color, especially around the cap area since that was furthest from the flash.

Thank you for that picture. I still don't see that as green on my monitor, but I'll take your word. Maybe very moist mold looks green?

T.G
03-10-2011, 02:48 PM
Maybe very moist mold looks green?

My experience with mold is that different types of molds are different colors, although some lightly pigmented molds will lose their coloration and appear mostly white after the colony dies.

Volusianator
03-11-2011, 11:47 AM
OK, so how weird is this! I took the original picture on Monday the 7th, after taking the pic, I took the cigar out of the box and placed it on TOP of the box, just so I'd not forget to wipe it down or toss it. Today I go back to the humidor to wipe it down and this is what I found. Nearly all the mold has appeared to disappear?

http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/zz91/Volusianator1/Cigar%20Stuff/DSC00142.jpg

Zeuceone
03-11-2011, 12:11 PM
probably died due to not being in the perfection condition

OLS
03-11-2011, 12:28 PM
couple more days like that and you could smoke it. :r
Seriously though, it dries down to 10-20% of it's original size. Spores are more dangerous when dry
I would imagine. Wipey-wipey.

Volusianator
03-11-2011, 12:36 PM
So, can I use Smirnoff or should I just go right to Grey Goose to wipe down?! :r

Krish the Fish
03-11-2011, 12:47 PM
So, can I use Smirnoff or should I just go right to Grey Goose to wipe down?! :r

:r

70% ethanol is the most effective to kill bacteria/fungi. If you have anything that's around 140 proof (or higher), that's what you want to use.

(source: my microbiology class. also, we only use 70% EtOH in my research lab for this same reason)

kaisersozei
03-11-2011, 12:54 PM
Or you can take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

couple more days like that and you could smoke it. :r
Seriously though, it dries down to 10-20% of it's original size. Spores are more dangerous when dry
I would imagine. Wipey-wipey.

So, Brad, in this case is the mold still there, just smaller? Or did it actually die off & go away?

BTcigars
06-21-2011, 09:30 PM
One thing that you should consider is if the foot had mold on it. It is one thing to have mold develop on the wrapper but once its on the foot, time to just just your loses. Keep updating, very interesting post!

Tyler
06-21-2011, 10:22 PM
This thread intrigues me. Keep it updated for sure.

macsauce13
06-21-2011, 10:49 PM
This thread is months old. This Opus has probably met its fate, whatever it was. :D

sikk50
06-21-2011, 10:49 PM
One thing that you should consider is if the foot had mold on it. It is one thing to have mold develop on the wrapper but once its on the foot, time to just just your loses. Keep updating, very interesting post!
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk215/sikk50/753f0ecf.jpg

BTcigars
06-22-2011, 02:05 PM
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk215/sikk50/753f0ecf.jpg

HAHAHA I know I failed big time on this but oh well -(P

Volusianator
06-22-2011, 02:07 PM
This thread is months old. This Opus has probably met its fate, whatever it was. :D
I smoked the *****!

BTcigars
06-22-2011, 02:32 PM
Youre still alive, thats a good thing!

LostAbbott
06-22-2011, 04:05 PM
Like a Rattle snake in a black widows web: BURN IT WITH FIRE!

alfredo_buscatti
08-15-2011, 02:49 AM
I got a box of Anejo, and all the cigars that I've smoked had plume, about a dozen small patches per cigar.

As plume tells you that the cigar is at its optimal readiness for smoking, is there, then, any rush to smoke the cigars?

I would imagine no, as the cigars will continue to plume, and following that logic, become more and more optimally aged to smoke.

pnoon
08-15-2011, 06:30 AM
I got a box of Anejo, and all the cigars that I've smoked had plume, about a dozen small patches per cigar.

As plume tells you that the cigar is at its optimal readiness for smoking, is there, then, any rush to smoke the cigars?

I would imagine no, as the cigars will continue to plume, and following that logic, become more and more optimally aged to smoke.

If what you see are in "patches", it is more likely mold. Plume, for the most part, will be evenly distributed.

Also, I have never heard that plume tells you that the cigar is at its optimal readiness for smoking. Where did you hear/read that? To the best of my knowledge, the appearance of plume means nothing as to when a cigar should be smoked.

:2

s15driftking
08-15-2011, 06:37 AM
think of it as nature's cotton candy

hilarious

massphatness
08-15-2011, 06:37 AM
If what you see are in "patches", it is more likely mold. Plume, for the most part, will be evenly distributed.

QFT - and upon close inspection, mold will appear fuzzy while plume looks more crystalline. Plume is a direct result of the migration of oils to the surface and is unlikely to occur in patches.

chippewastud79
08-15-2011, 07:20 AM

Or in the case you described, likely adding more mold. :2

alfredo_buscatti
08-16-2011, 12:37 AM

Also, I have never heard that plume tells you that the cigar is at its optimal readiness for smoking. Where did you hear/read that? To the best of my knowledge, the appearance of plume means nothing as to when a cigar should be smoked.

:2

My cheap magnifying glass doesn't tell me the truth. Looking at the mold, I guess, thinking it was plume, I thought it was crystalline, and thus not mold. Having gotten your feedback, it looks fuzzy, like mold. In any case as it's not evenly distributed across the cigar, it must be mold.

If I wipe the cigars down with 95% ethanol, will it not only remove the mold but also inhibit its tendency to grow a second time?

I was told that plume meant optimal smoking readiness by a long-time cigar lover-he really loves cigars, especially those that are F+ strength. He used to sub for my local B&M owner. I'm surprised he was wrong; then again, he told me this at least 5 years ago, and my memory might be misleading me.

T.G
08-16-2011, 01:19 AM
If I wipe the cigars down with 95% ethanol, will it not only remove the mold but also inhibit its tendency to grow a second time?

That's a bit overkill. While it will kill that colony, it might also change the flavor of the cigar.

Simply wiping the mold off with a paper towel and then lowering the humidity in your humidor, along with a few days of dryboxing for the cigars you wiped down should take care of it.

alfredo_buscatti
08-18-2011, 03:38 AM
T.G., I take it that I'm to wipe the cigars down with a paper towel that is not too moist with water?

T.G
08-18-2011, 08:19 AM
I've always used either a dry or just barely moistened paper towel. Just enough moisture to pick up stuff on the surface, but not enough moisture to make the capa (wrapper) of the cigar wet or even damp.

Don't press down too hard, the capa is fragile and can be easily damaged. Also, always wipe toward the foot as wiping towards the head could cause you to catch a section of the capa where it overlaps and result in a tear.

If the mold isn't severe, you can sometimes also just wipe it off with your finger.

alfredo_buscatti
08-18-2011, 03:57 PM
T.G., thanks for your input; I've never done this before.

Which leads me to my next question: even after I remove the mold, there will probably be some left. Although I can work on segregating these cigars from other cigars in my humidor, do I just maintain vigilance as regards it spreading to cigars that are adjacent to them?

T.G
08-18-2011, 04:35 PM
It doesn't hurt to keep an eye on them, but mold spores are basically everywhere in the air naturally already, so the easiest way to inhibit their growth is to keep the moisture down below the level at which they can grow, so if that box of cigars were mine, I'd leave both it (lid open) and the cigars out of the humidor for a day or so, then see how moist they are, if they still seem very moist, then a bit longer. Then make sure my humidor is operating at 65%RH or less, and put them in. :2

alfredo_buscatti
08-22-2011, 06:32 AM
T.G. I got 90% of the mold off with a fingernail. Thanks!

kickerb
02-17-2012, 12:39 PM
I'm digging up this thread simply because I don't think we need a new one. So I was hanging with a pal last night. He shows me this cigar:

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/3218/plumeormold.jpg

What say ye? Plume or Mold???

Chainsaw13
02-17-2012, 01:10 PM
Mold :td

kickerb
02-17-2012, 01:15 PM
The bigger white spots are mold to me. But what about that light white sheen? Is that mold too, or just impurities from the water used for active humidification?

Chainsaw13
02-17-2012, 01:19 PM
Based on my experience, it looks to be too thick to me for it to be plume, especially up by the cap end. But then again I could be wrong. The spots definitely look like mold.

dwoodward
02-17-2012, 01:23 PM
I'm digging up this thread simply because I don't think we need a new one. So I was hanging with a pal last night. He shows me this cigar:

Looks like half the cigars at my local B&M.... Seriously... :td

kickerb
02-17-2012, 02:03 PM
thanks for the info!

44stampede
02-17-2012, 11:35 PM

I would say that it's 99% mold on this bad boy...

Reaver2145
02-18-2012, 05:02 AM
Mold isnt bad its just extra flavour its like smoking a fine blue cheese.

Same goes for beetles.

ApexAZ
02-18-2012, 06:23 PM
Might produce a good trip? Or clear out a sinus infection!

BlindedByScience
02-18-2012, 06:32 PM
I'd posted this in another forum I frequent; seems pertanant. A guy had asked about (gasp) using a dilute bleach solution to wipe moldy cigars with....:sl

Here's my reply:

That is straight up MOLD! Even with the bad pic quality I could spot that a mile away. Bloom is not generally that pronounced and in giant clumps like that......If the white spots on your sticks make you second guess what it really is, it is probably bloom and not mold....
Guys, for the love of all things, this really is lots simpler than you are all trying to make it.

Bloom or plume or WTF ever you want to call it is due to the oils in the cigar seeping through the wrapper and crystallizing on the wrapper. It typically takes years for this process to occur and many cigars wont do this at all. If I dug every cigar I have in my cabinet out and went through them all (including some ISOM's from the 60's) my guess is that I might, and I do repeat might, find one or two that have plume. Maybe. Possibly. It's really uncommon,which makes a cigar that has it rare and interesting.

Mold is 99 times out 100 three dimensional...plume is not. Mold will usually wipe off with a moist cloth....plume will usually not but I have seen thin layers of crystallized oils that were affected by wiping. Mold shows up in (usually) hairy little spots...plume show up as a hard to see sheen, a thin film on the wrapper.

In the years that I've been smoking, each and every time someone posts pics and says "...is this mold or plume..." it has been without a doubt mold. Every time. If you find spots on your cigars and are asking yourself "...gee, is this mold or plume..." let me help you out: It's mold. I have yet to walk into a B&M and find cigars with plume on them, but I sure have seen some furry boxes of moldy cigars that the owner then proudly said were "nicely aged and covered with plume" and I walked right out, never to return, every time.

This is all pretty cut and dry. What to do about them is probably more open to opinion.

Wikipedia tells us that:

Molds....are fungi that grow in the form of multicellular filaments called hyphae.[1] Molds are considered to be microbes but microscopic fungi that grow as single cells are called yeasts. A connected network of these tubular branching hyphae has multiple, genetically identical nuclei and is considered a single organism, referred to as a colony.

The important wording in there is that mold typically grows in multicellular filaments. Mold may show up as a spot here or there, but the chances are quite good that even when dealing with surface spots, the growth has penetrated the wrapper and is well into the cigar. Tobacco is easily penetrated by these types of fungal infections. If you see mold on the foot of the cigar, you're done. Period. The very core of the cigar has been permeated and you're pretty much screwed. Yes, you can sometimes wipe surface spots off with a damp rag (I've used distilled water in past efforts) but you have to ask yourself what's inside the cigar that you can't see. A tiny spot is one thing; a wrapper that has hairy blotches all over it is probably toast. It's a matter of degree but usually I don't bother. I have tried to "repair" a cigar with mold spots on it in the past and the result is like smoking a well used pair of gym socks. Eeeccch....no thank you.

Now, this whole business of dilute bleach wiping a cigar. Chlorine has highest electron affinity and the third highest electronegativity of all the elements, which is a hoity toity way to say it's one hell of a powerful oxidizer and has a particular affinity for organic materials. That's why it's such a great disinfectant. Now, sure, a capful of bleach in a gallon of water is probably drinkable. Most literature that I could find on storing water recommended two to three drops per liter, so a capful per gallon might be a little strong but is in the ballpark.. But there are a couple of things to consider here. Most bleach is formulated for laundry use, and as such, often times has more in it than Chlorine in it. This will vary from product to product but it's worth noting. But, if you put bleach in water I can promise you that you'll be able to taste it. Yes, Chlorine is very volatile and will out gas quickly, but what did it do to the fragile tobacco leaves until it did? I mean, if it's powerful enough to kill the surface mold on contact, wouldn't you think it would also be powerful to at least change the wrapper somewhat? You know, the part of the cigar that is the majority of the taste of the cigar? No thank you.

My $00.02 is that if you really want to wipe your cigar wrapper, a little distilled water should do the trick. Then, promptly smoke the darn thing. Even if you clean it up on the outside, you have no way to know how deeply impinged the mold is into the body of the cigar. I'm as cheap as the next guy, but when it comes to cigars with any amount of mold at all, they get pitched. Period.

JMHO, YMMV, AFIK, OMG BBQ, etc......B.B.S.

kickerb
12-11-2012, 08:28 AM
http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r605/kickerb/155433_4912218360658_1716164906_n.jpg

My local B&M swears up and down that this is plume. Thoughts?

ziggy4112003
12-11-2012, 08:31 AM
110 percent mold

T.G
12-11-2012, 08:32 AM
http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r605/kickerb/155433_4912218360658_1716164906_n.jpg

Thoughts?
Your B&M operators are full of crap or complete morons. That's mold.

pnoon
12-11-2012, 08:39 AM

Thoughts?
Your local B&M is either clueless or blowing smoke up your a$$.

pnoon
12-11-2012, 08:40 AM
Thoughts?
Your B&M operators are full of crap or complete morons. That's mold.

Thoughts?
Your local B&M is either clueless or blowing smoke up your a$$.

:lr

kickerb
12-11-2012, 08:41 AM
No, he is dead serious. To the point he called his local LFD rep, who then also confirmed it was plume.

I just thought it was a very good example of mold and thought I would share it with the forum.

pnoon
12-11-2012, 08:42 AM
No, he is dead stupid. To the point he called his local LFD rep, who then also confirmed it was plume.

Fixed.
And so is the LFD rep.

T.G
12-11-2012, 08:52 AM
:lr

:r:r:r

icehog3
12-11-2012, 09:02 AM
Remind me to fire the LFD rep in the morning.

T.G
12-11-2012, 09:05 AM
No, he is dead serious. To the point he called his local LFD rep, who then also confirmed it was plume.

Mistaking mold for plume is, unfortunately, a somewhat common occurrence, and while this sort of mistake is unfortunate for the average J. Doe that goes into a cigar store to buy their 2 cigars a month, for the proprietor of a B&M, or worse, a cigar rep, to adamantly believe that mold is plume, the ignorance is inexcusable.

Zane
12-11-2012, 09:07 AM
Mistaking mold for plume is, unfortunately, a somewhat common occurrence, and while this sort of mistake is unfortunate for the average J. Doe that goes into a cigar store to buy their 2 cigars a month, for the proprietor of a B&M, or worse, a cigar rep, to adamantly believe that mold is plume, the ignorance is inexcusable.

I can't imagine anyone no matter how new you are to cigars could confuse that with plume... I mean if I found a loaf of bread with those same exact spots I wouldn't try and pretend it wasn't mold.

icehog3
12-11-2012, 09:08 AM

Or the lying, either way.

T.G
12-11-2012, 09:22 AM
I can't imagine anyone no matter how new you are to cigars could confuse that with plume... I mean if I found a loaf of bread with those same exact spots I wouldn't try and pretend it wasn't mold.

You might, but there are a lot of people who don't make the connection.

Most people associate mold with a darker colored growth. Green, blueish, black, somewhere in that spectrum. A lot of people forget, or never know, that mold comes in white (slice a tomato and leave it out) and many other colors too.

Then they hear legends and stories of this elusive, almost mythical whitish thing called "plume" that supposedly does magical things to cigars, so they search for it. Sometimes the descriptions they are given are incorrect, sometimes they are vague, so when they finally run across a cigar with some kind of **** stuck on it, they fly right past the "hey wait a second, this looks kind of odd..." and go into rejoice mode, and so the legend propagates.

...or they are just f-ing retarded.

Zane
12-11-2012, 09:27 AM
You might, but there are a lot of people who don't make the connection.

Most people associate mold with a darker colored growth. Green, blueish, black, somewhere in that spectrum. A lot of people forget, or never know, that mold comes in white (slice a tomato and leave it out) and many other colors too.

Then they hear legends and stories of this elusive, almost mythical whitish thing called "plume" that supposedly does magical things to cigars, so they search for it. Sometimes the descriptions they are given are incorrect, sometimes they are vague, so when they finally run across a cigar with some kind of **** stuck on it, they fly right past the "hey wait a second, this looks kind of odd..." and go into rejoice mode, and so the legend propagates.

...or they are just f-ing retarded.

Agreed. Boggles the mind.

T.G
12-11-2012, 09:27 AM
Or the lying, either way.

Agreed.

I will say though, that I have actually met B&M owners/operators who honestly didn't know the difference between mold and plume.

One of them even thought that "maduro" was a type/strain of tobacco.

gbum
12-11-2012, 10:08 AM
some guy show this in fb cigar group...
http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/s480x480/60972_10200099499873253_11442375_n.jpg

im pretty sure its mold by looking at the furry part... but the rest said the other way...

well i just walk away from that discussion...

PearlS4
12-11-2012, 10:10 AM
Looks like mold to me.

Robulous78
12-11-2012, 10:17 AM
I have never encountered plume but from what I have been told its like a powdered sugar distributed ALL over a cigar...

When sticks have perfectly rounded growths (colonies I believe is the term) it should be pretty easy to identify it as mold...

If my B & M operator tried to sell me sticks like those from above I would kindly leave... and never return...

dubleuhb
12-11-2012, 10:17 AM
Not sure I would purchase from him. That is ugly.

omowasu
12-11-2012, 10:43 AM
I agree that if you have to ask, its mold. Mold, mold, mold... A local B&M near me runs a humidifier in their humidor constantly, and all of the cigars in its vicinity are moldy. Some of the guys say it is plume. It is definitely not.

Whether to smoke a moldy stick is a personal decision - if it were me anything more than a small spot is too much...

Brandon
12-12-2012, 05:16 AM
If it is raised, it is mold.

If it is very splotchy, it is mold.

Plume is distributed evenly, and sparkles under a light.

There are well known vendors that don't even know the difference.

Here is a video showing plume (on a 1970's cigar).

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i419/bsthe/a1ce437a.mp4

Brandon
12-12-2012, 05:49 AM
This is plume... clear difference from 99% of pictures posted.

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i419/bsthe/th_a1ce437a.jpg (http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i419/bsthe/a1ce437a.mp4)

cmitch
12-12-2012, 05:57 AM
I would suspect the reason most don't see plume is because the lighting conditions aren't bright enough to reveal it. Plume sparkles in the light, appears evenly distributed and is usually very fine particles, though I did see some that looked like they had small salt crystals on them. Nearly every cigar I have found in a B&M where the owner claimed plume, it was mold. I was actually chewed out by an employee of the B&M I used to frequent for saying there was mold on his cigars which is one of the many reasons I don't go there anymore. I think that most B&M's see that box of destruction and can't even consider the loss so they pawn them off to uneducated 'victims' as mold. I've only had 1 brand of cigar that's had plume and it was some Vega Fina Jose Sejas L.E.'s. They sparkled in the sun but was virtually undetectable in roomlight.
The pic by the OP is hair mold. Hair mold has no toxins so it's safe to smoke. Just wipe it off. However, all those other examples are toast.

Brooks W
12-12-2012, 09:35 AM
Of course, I just got back from a fairly well known factory in Esteli, and some of the people there said that when they find plume on cigars, they throw them out, as it is a sign of not being aged properly...

Robulous78
12-12-2012, 03:42 PM
Of course, I just got back from a fairly well known factory in Esteli, and some of the people there said that when they find plume on cigars, they throw them out, as it is a sign of not being aged properly...

:po

TJarv
12-12-2012, 03:46 PM

I've never heard this before (I don't know much). What did they say was wrong with the way they were aged and why does this cause plume?

iaMkcK
12-12-2012, 04:07 PM

If they were just throwing away perfectly fine sticks, and not molded -- I'd hire an individual to dumpster dive for these sticks to sell them. In all honesty though, if they are throwing away sticks with plume -- I don't think I want to try their sticks whatsoever.

crgcpro
12-12-2012, 04:10 PM
This is plume... clear difference from 99% of pictures posted.

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i419/bsthe/th_a1ce437a.jpg (http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i419/bsthe/a1ce437a.mp4)

I just gifted a Padron Millenium with beautiful plume just like that one! Now that's a stocking stuffer!

mhailey
12-12-2012, 04:13 PM
Plume!! Definitely plume!!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-6WAmlWPYZ_Q/TkHrSk2gN4I/AAAAAAAAAF0/6EPC9_MPHGQ/s1600/moldy+bread.gif

icehog3
12-12-2012, 04:13 PM

Brilliant. :r

PearlS4
12-12-2012, 04:40 PM
Plume!! Definitely plume!!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-6WAmlWPYZ_Q/TkHrSk2gN4I/AAAAAAAAAF0/6EPC9_MPHGQ/s1600/moldy+bread.gif

Sandwich time!:dr

LostAbbott
12-12-2012, 04:43 PM
No doubt, i love me some good plumey bread...

Robulous78
12-12-2012, 04:45 PM
saw these pictures... seem to sum it up...

MOLD

http://www.cigars4dummies.com/uploads/cigar_mold.jpg

PLUME / BLOOM

http://www.cigars4dummies.com/uploads/plume-res.jpg

T.G
12-12-2012, 04:57 PM
saw these pictures... seem to sum it up...

MOLD

http://www.cigars4dummies.com/uploads/cigar_mold.jpg

PLUME / BLOOM

http://www.cigars4dummies.com/uploads/plume-res.jpg

I always get a chuckle out of the use of the term "bloom" to reference plume, because blooming is exactly what the mold colony is doing.

Someday, the idiot blogger who first started using that term incorrectly... :gary :sl :gary

Robulous78
12-12-2012, 04:59 PM
Yea... I refer to it as Plume... Bloom seems to carry the wrong connotation...

iaMkcK
12-12-2012, 05:23 PM
What a blooming good term! Yeah, mold is so easily identified, it's just pathetic for some people to argue the most obvious examples of mold.