PDA

View Full Version : Joined a Cigar monthly Club

Swif
03-06-2011, 11:05 PM
I just joined a cigar month club to night. Not sure what to expect. I have yet to smoke an Opus X and I will see about order a fee to try them out. I will also try a few others and see if this monthly club thing works out.

What has been your experience with this type of thing?

Bill86
03-06-2011, 11:13 PM
I haven't done it but the general consensus is they send you crap that they cannot get rid of. Also the sticks are apparently not worth what you pay either.

Swif
03-06-2011, 11:46 PM
Well I hope this is not the case, but if many have tried then I guess I will be one that will cancel after my my first shipment.

I hope that I won't have to as I am still try to develop a broader taste. I seem to like the high $ stuff and would like to have a nice mix. I am hoping that this will help. If not I can join the club that tried it out then said, "this is crap".

Bax
03-07-2011, 01:34 AM
I haven't done it but the general consensus is they send you crap that they cannot get rid of. Also the sticks are apparently not worth what you pay either.

This pretty much sums it up but you never know. You may find something that you like that you'd never have bought. :tu

thecatch83
03-07-2011, 03:17 AM
I am a premiere red wine club member through KL wines, and I get two awesome bottles a month that I can re buy for cheap and that are highly rated....but I'm afraid of joining a cigar club because I don't want to get stuck with petrified Gurkha and Onyx dog sticks!

massphatness
03-07-2011, 04:26 AM
Several yrs back my girl gifted me a subscription to the Cigar of the Month club run by cigar.com. It probably wasn't worth the coin but it did expose me to a wide variety of cigars; not all of which were bad. Sure there were many I didn't like, but it allowed me explore different flavor profiles. For example, coming out of that experience I was clear on the concept that I didn't care for a maduro wrapper.

Since you've already joined, sit back and enjoy the ride.
Posted via Mobile Device

chand
03-07-2011, 04:36 AM
I've been a member of the Cigar.com one for two months. I'm not sure it is worth it but there have been a few I enjoy. :2 I wish that there was a more diverse selection. For example, it is apparently Greycliff month this month.

Average Joe
03-07-2011, 12:34 PM
I wouldn't mind joining one if it had a reputation of not sending crap.

I rarely even buy samplers because it seems there are 3 name brand of cigars, and 1 stick that is cheap junk. I go for the 5 packs and hope for the best.

OLS
03-07-2011, 01:41 PM
Worst case scenario, you learn what you DON'T likeright off the bat. And you might do OK. Much better
to hang here, read reviews, shop armed with that knowledge, and or trade with brothers, or buy
fivers from same. I won't lie, though, I did worse. My first week back to cigars back in the early 90s,
I tore up the new-fangled interweb thing signing up for FREE CIGARS. Then later I was like, "Dude,
you're an idiot", lol. "Go BUY you some cigars". That's how I discovered my favorite, the Padrons.

Swif
03-08-2011, 01:02 AM
I joined Cigars Direct in hopes that they send of some decent stuff. It also seemed that they had some decent pricing on the higher end cigars.

I also am interested in buy a La cuba de roma Mia Amor and I fI like the box price did not seem to bad. I also am think that I will try my first opus x from them. If i like there box price seems ok.

Bunker
03-08-2011, 03:56 AM
I joined Cigars Direct in hopes that they send of some decent stuff. It also seemed that they had some decent pricing on the higher end cigars.

I also am interested in buy a La cuba de roma Mia Amor and I fI like the box price did not seem to bad. I also am think that I will try my first opus x from them. If i like there box price seems ok.

By all means try as many different sticks as you can, but you would do better to shop around on the high end stuff. Their pricing on Opus seems very high:

Opus xXx single for $23

Old Virgina Tobacco Company (www.ovtc.com) sells this stick for < $12

You could also call http://www.tampasweetheart.com/ for opus prices

HollywoodQue
03-08-2011, 04:20 AM

I have heard the same thing and they will stalk you forever and continue to charge your card after to try to quit...good luck

Swif
03-09-2011, 02:00 PM
By all means try as many different sticks as you can, but you would do better to shop around on the high end stuff. Their pricing on Opus seems very high:

Opus xXx single for $23

Old Virgina Tobacco Company (www.ovtc.com) sells this stick for < $12

You could also call http://www.tampasweetheart.com/ for opus prices

It looked like the boxes were at a decent price. As far as the single go they do seem a light high.

CigarGuy88
03-09-2011, 02:16 PM
It looked like the boxes were at a decent price. As far as the single go they do seem a light high.

How can you possibly think these prices are good?!? I realize taxes can be bad in certain states (I live in NY most of the year so I should know) and a lot of shops raise prices quite a bit specifically on opus but these prices are insane!

Swif
03-09-2011, 08:01 PM
How can you possibly think these prices are good?!? I realize taxes can be bad in certain states (I live in NY most of the year so I should know) and a lot of shops raise prices quite a bit specifically on opus but these prices are insane!

Living in CA cigars are high.

Never trying and opus or really looking at them until reading the review here and on line I would say that its was an ok price.

I was in VA D.C. and stopped by a shop and found prices to be about half of what I would pay here in Cali. i talked to the guy to see if he would ship out to me and he said he would.

At the same time I also want to support a local shop that has some good stuff, great knowledge, treats people well and has always provided the wife with some good picks to bring home to me as a surprise.

so I will do some more looking for better deals, but I don't want to worry about receiving old cigars that are dry.

Swif
03-09-2011, 08:03 PM
Received the first shipment of the month.

2 Gurkha
2 Rocky Patel Vintage 1990
2 5 Vegas
2 Montecristo

I have had a few different Montecristos' before and like them. Not sure on the rest. I will find out soon on the others.

What are your guys' thoughts.

thecatch83
03-09-2011, 08:31 PM
Gurkha's and 5 Vegas are goat tirds, Vintage 90's are decent every day smokes and NC cristo's are nice depending on what you got.

swh127
03-09-2011, 08:40 PM
I have been a member of 3 cigar of the month clubs for about 3-4 years now. They offered me a chance to try a wide variety of sticks to see what I like. To be honest I am going to quit all of them in the next few months because I now know what I like and don't like in a cigar. If you have never been a member of one I would stay with it for a few months to try new cigars. However if your willing to do the research and buy 5 packs yourself you will probably save money in the long run doing it on your own.

Bill86
03-09-2011, 08:52 PM
Received the first shipment of the month.

2 Gurkha Dog Rockets
2 Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 Cheap daily smokes, they are OKAY
2 5 Vegas depending on which ones, probably cheap daily smokes again
2 Montecristo Probably the best of the bunch, depending on which ones

I have had a few different Montecristos' before and like them. Not sure on the rest. I will find out soon on the others.

What are your guys' thoughts.

The Gurkha's are worthless, $3 a piece if you can bring yourself to smoke them.
The Patels are probably $3 a piece
The 5 Vegas are probably $3 a piece
Montecristo's might be $4-5 a piece

More information on which 5 vegas/monte's you got would help.

All and all you got some daily smokes to try, depending on your budget that can be a good or a bad thing. If you only like spending $40-85 bucks on a box it seems this cigar monthly thing would bring you a bunch of daily smokes. You could continue it to try and decide on box purchases or 5'ers if that is the price range you like. If you don't mind spending $5-$10 per cigar then I would say you should cancel your subscription.

Swif
03-09-2011, 10:56 PM
Gurkha Legend
montecristo is the brown label with looks like a #2 with a dark warper. (torpedo)
5 vegas limitada

Spend some time reading a couple reviews on this and I an not impressed. I guess I had to make the rookie mistake.

Swif
03-09-2011, 10:59 PM
The Gurkha's are worthless, $3 a piece if you can bring yourself to smoke them.
The Patels are probably $3 a piece
The 5 Vegas are probably $3 a piece
Montecristo's might be $4-5 a piece

More information on which 5 vegas/monte's you got would help.

All and all you got some daily smokes to try, depending on your budget that can be a good or a bad thing. If you only like spending $40-85 bucks on a box it seems this cigar monthly thing would bring you a bunch of daily smokes. You could continue it to try and decide on box purchases or 5'ers if that is the price range you like. If you don't mind spending $5-$10 per cigar then I would say you should cancel your subscription.

I have purchased two box myself.

First box was VSGs'
Second box was Case Fuentes house cigar.
I can spend $20 on a cigar if I like them.

Bill86
03-09-2011, 11:12 PM
I have purchased two box myself.

First box was VSGs'
Second box was Case Fuentes house cigar.
I can spend $20 on a cigar if I like them.

Well then you probably won't have much of a use for that month cigar club unless you're looking for cheaper daily smokes.

Swif
03-09-2011, 11:36 PM
Thats what I am thinking. I will ride it out for another month or two to try some stuff out.

Miket156
03-10-2011, 12:50 AM
by OLS:

Worst case scenario, you learn what you DON'T likeright off the bat. And you might do OK. Much better to hang here, read reviews, shop armed with that knowledge, and or trade with brothers, or buy fivers from same. I won't lie, though, I did worse. My first week back to cigars back in the early 90s,
I tore up the new-fangled interweb thing signing up for FREE CIGARS. Then later I was like, "Dude,you're an idiot", lol. "Go BUY you some cigars". That's how I discovered my favorite, the Padrons.

Good advice. I would never give my Credit Card number to an Internet company or club. If you had to agree to being billed every month for what they send you, good luck trying to quit. Sometimes the banks will side with the Internet company that you give the right to bill you every month.

I don't know how much time you spend on the Internet, but if you have an idea of even one or two cigars you like, start price shopping the Internet Cigar Resellers. There are too many to count. In a short period of time you will find out what Internet companies that are over priced and which ones that are reasonable. Now, just because one company is high on one brand doesn't necessarily mean they are high on every brand. However, I have found a price difference as much as $45 to $50 a box on the same box of cigars from one reseller to another! Do your homework.

There are a number of reputable websites that rate cigars and many of them allow their readers to comment on the reviews. Spend some time reading reviews and spend time on Forums like this one. Did I mention you should Do your homework?

Cheers,

Mike T.

forgop
03-10-2011, 07:56 AM
Thats what I am thinking. I will ride it out for another month or two to try some stuff out.

My advice would be to buy a sampler of sticks for sale from someone here, but you're new, so you won't have that access just yet. Otherwise, you can get all sorts of samplers for the same kind of sticks on the devil sites and know what you're getting in advance.

MurphysLaw
03-10-2011, 08:15 AM
My advice would be to buy a sampler of sticks for sale from someone here, but you're new, so you won't have that access just yet. Otherwise, you can get all sorts of samplers for the same kind of sticks on the devil sites and know what you're getting in advance.

Even better, participate in the Newbie Sampler Trade here, I got a few sticks I might have not tried otherwise, plus you get to know some of the people here!

Swif
03-10-2011, 07:00 PM
I will keep a look out for the Newbie Trade.

OLS
03-10-2011, 07:44 PM
I think what might be a REALLY good idea is to send the cigars BACK unsmoked and cancel your subbie,
perhaps get the charge reversed strightaway so that you are completely in the right so to speak, even if
you have to buy a replacement cigar or two for ones you already smoked. They do not like reversing charges,
but if you return their property before they really get cranked up and develop a realationship with
you, you seem justified to me. It's worth a shot if you know where to return them. I won't line up against
them, as I have no experiene with any of them. But I can't see a scenario where you are ever thrilled to be
in the club. I don't mean to panic you or freak you out, but if you are breaking with them, clean and fast
is the way to go, like a bandaid. Hell, tell em a kid in your house signed up and you caught him when the
cigars arrived, lol.

Swif
03-10-2011, 08:11 PM
Found NST and sent some questions. I will hope to join the next first timer and send out what I have like as well as a few that I have yet to try.

kelmac07
03-10-2011, 08:15 PM
Found NST and sent some questions. I will hope to join the next first timer and send out what I have like as well as a few that I have yet to try.

Smart man!! :tu :tu You will not be disappointed. :D

loki
03-10-2011, 08:40 PM
looks like we didn't import that no snobs policy from CS....damn shame

OLS
03-11-2011, 10:42 AM
What, Loki, is it me that is being a snob cause I want him to send them back?
I was not sure what you meant. But it sounds interesting, lol.

thecatch83
03-11-2011, 05:31 PM

From one newb to another this is a great way to go.....I'm participating in the NST and it's been awesome (awaiting my return trade now). :banger