PDA

View Full Version : Pin-stripe cigars...

N2 GOLD
03-03-2011, 12:36 PM
Any recommendations???

I have never tried them before but, I see them more & more.

Any feed back would be greatly appreciated. -(P

Also, who you recommend for internet ordering them...

Zeuceone
03-03-2011, 12:44 PM
I have always wanted to try one but only thing close I can find local is the La Gloria Cubana Artesanos De Tabaqueros.

kickerb
03-03-2011, 12:49 PM
what is a pin-striped cigar?

N2 GOLD
03-03-2011, 12:51 PM
I have always wanted to try one but only thing close I can find local is the La Gloria Cubana Artesanos De Tabaqueros.

How were those??? Similar, with two wraps...

N2 GOLD
03-03-2011, 12:56 PM

A cigar that employs two wrappers in one cigar. Similar, to the CAO America

awsmith4
03-03-2011, 12:58 PM

The are more often referred to as barber pole cigars. A cigar with two wrappers

Taboo Cigars has one called the Twist that was a good smoke. Its only available through his store I believe.

As far as where to get them online, the various LGCs are available at shops like Cigars International and Famous. I believe Joya De Nicaragua makes one as well.

kickerb
03-03-2011, 12:59 PM
Ah, okay. Thanks for explaining that. :)

Devanmc
03-03-2011, 01:00 PM
also the 2008 liberty(camacho) was a barber pole cigar

neoflex
03-03-2011, 01:02 PM
One of my favorite Barber Poles is the Taboo Twist. I just wish they had more of a house brand price tag but they are good especially with some age

N2 GOLD
03-03-2011, 01:02 PM

Taboo Cigars has one called the Twist that was a good smoke. Its only available through his store I believe.

As far as where to get them online, the various LGCs are available at shops like Cigars International and Famous. I believe Joya De Nicaragua makes one as well.

Thank you, for the BArber Pole info... -(P

lyle23
03-03-2011, 01:03 PM
Personally, I love the 2008 liberty. If you can find them, they are a great stick. Not all the liberties are barber poles though.
Posted via Mobile Device

Devanmc
03-03-2011, 01:04 PM
kevin, the shop in huntsvill has a few left(maybe). do you want their number?

waffle
03-03-2011, 01:12 PM
How were those??? Similar, with two wraps...

Really good, its basically two different cigars. It starts mellow and smooth and then it gets full body.

wayner123
03-03-2011, 01:27 PM
Padilla Burberry is another decent one.

guitar4001
03-03-2011, 01:48 PM
They are usually made by rolling a light-colored wrapper onto a bunch, the adding a strip of darker-colored tobacco on top of the first wrapper to give it the appearance of a candy cane. Actually it is rather simple to create this type of cigar (as a roller), but it just takes an extra step. They sure do look neat-o.

T.G
03-03-2011, 02:01 PM

A cigar that employs two wrappers in one cigar. Similar, to the CAO America

A bit of clarification is needed here as multiple styles are getting incorrectly mixed up in the given explanations...

Barber poles are the ones with with generally equal size helical stripes of capa wrapped around the cigar. Like this:
http://img.cigarsinternational.com/p/500/cs/3/cs-3ib.jpg
http://www.marscigars.com/ProductImages/tres_capas.jpg
off the top of my head some barber pole cigars:
Taboo Twist
Felipe Gregorio Dos Capas
Felipe Gregorio Tres Capas
ITC Split Decision
Some Camacho Liberties
CAO Britalia Barber Pole
Arturo Fuente Hemingway Between the Lines
etc...

Pinstriped cigars are an offshoot of barberpoles, except that rather than roughly equal sized bands, one is just a pinstripe. IIRC CAO America was the first to do this exclusively (and still the only one I believe).
http://img.cigarsinternational.com/p/500/sp/a/sp-ambasst1-view2.jpg

Barberpole and pinstripes are rolled that way, two or more wrappers are cut and overlapped, then rolled around the cigar to create the effect.

Then you have cigars that employ both such as the Sol Cubano Artisan L.E.:
http://img.cigarsinternational.com/p/500/cs/s/cs-s0b.jpg

(continues next post due to image limits)

T.G
03-03-2011, 02:02 PM
Multi-wrapper, dual wrapper, split-wrapper (which can be somewhat of a misnomer - but it stuck), are the terms to typically describe cigars with "bands" of wrappers:
http://www.cigarplace.biz/images/catalog/live/imageLibrary/446BE743F5A5AC78B9308AF40BF89482L.jpg
Joya de Nicaragua Cabinetta
La Gloria Cubana Artesanos de Tabaqueros
http://img.cigarsinternational.com/p/500/cs/l/cs-lgc.jpg
Tabak Especial Cafe con Leche
http://img.cigarsinternational.com/p/500/cs/t/cs-tec.jpg
(note the three sections - dark, light, dark)

In this case, a capa (wrapper) is applied to the cigar in a regular fashion, then a smaller, second section of another capa is applied over the top to create the effect.

Then you have manufacturers who combine both and just don't seem to know when the F to stop gluing pieces down...
http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/1253/csphbview2.jpg

T.G
03-03-2011, 02:07 PM
They are usually made by rolling a light-colored wrapper onto a bunch, the adding a strip of darker-colored tobacco on top of the first wrapper to give it the appearance of a candy cane. Actually it is rather simple to create this type of cigar (as a roller), but it just takes an extra step. They sure do look neat-o.

Nope.

The two capas are cut so that they overlap on the rolling bench and applied together in the same motion.

Here is a video of the capas being applied to a CAO America. A barber pole cigar would be an identical process, just a wider overlap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JISX_CdPKg

T.G
03-03-2011, 02:10 PM
Oh, and while we are on the subject of barber poles, there is no such thing as a Cuban barberpole cigar. If you ever see one of the infamous Cohiba 35th or 40th barber poles, run away, they are FAKE FAKE FAKE.

Blueface
03-03-2011, 02:14 PM
Oh, and while we are on the subject of barber poles, there is no such thing as a Cuban barberpole cigar. If you ever see one of the infamous Cohiba 35th or 40th barber poles, run away, they are FAKE FAKE FAKE.

Are you serious?
OMG!!!
I have a full box of these that I have been aging.:r:r:r

ajacobs
03-03-2011, 02:22 PM
I can't help but think "gimmick" each time I see them.

T.G
03-03-2011, 02:25 PM
Are you serious?
OMG!!!
I have a full box of these that I have been aging.:r:r:r

Why bother? If they're in your humidor, they'll just end up being plugged. :r

N2 GOLD
03-03-2011, 02:29 PM
WOW, thank you all for the wealth of information.

My last question, are they worth spending the $$$???

markem
03-03-2011, 02:31 PM

says you. I was so lucky to score the last 4 unopened boxes on that Miami beach.

T.G
03-03-2011, 02:42 PM
I can't help but think "gimmick" each time I see them.

It is a gimmick, but it's one with a valid purpose and actual added value in many cases.

The helical barber pole allows the use of multiple different wrappers for flavor - and it's snazzy looking sitting on the shelf of the walk in.

In the case of the JdN Cabinetta, the dark criollo was added to the head of the cigar to give a better mouthfeel to the cigar and spicy flavor and tingle on the lips because the (Ecuadorian) Connecticut has a slimy, soapy texture and soapy flax seed taste on your lips. Pick one up and before you cut it or light it, wet your lips and put it in your mouth backwards, hold it there for a moment, then flip it around so that the criollo is in your mouth, go back and forth a few times, and you should pick up on the icky conneticut capa mouthfeel that Cuenca wanted to avoid and used the criollio to give a better feel and enhance the cigar.

The Padilla, no comment.

Commander Quan
03-03-2011, 02:45 PM

Those aren't even rolled the same direction. Somewhere in the 3rd world there is a right handed and left handed pare of counterfeit torcedores.

T.G
03-03-2011, 02:51 PM
WOW, thank you all for the wealth of information.

My last question, are they worth spending the $$$???

Welcome.

That question could be asked of any cigar really. I think most cigars are worth at least a try at some point, you never know what you will find that you happen to like. Because you might not like one barber pole or dual wrapper cigar, doesn't mean you'll dislike all of them. It's like any other cigar, some manufacturers will make cigars you like, some will make those that you don't.

Remo
03-03-2011, 02:54 PM
JaKaaH just bombed me a Taboo one and I can't wait to try it!! It smells awesome.

Zeuceone
03-03-2011, 02:56 PM

:dr:dr:dr

mariogolbee
03-03-2011, 03:01 PM
In the case of the JdN Cabinetta, the dark criollo was added to the head of the cigar to give a better mouthfeel to the cigar and spicy flavor and tingle on the lips because the (Ecuadorian) Connecticut has a slimy, soapy texture and soapy flax seed taste on your lips. Pick one up and before you cut it or light it, wet your lips and put it in your mouth backwards, hold it there for a moment, then flip it around so that the criollo is in your mouth, go back and forth a few times, and you should pick up on the icky conneticut capa mouthfeel that Cuenca wanted to avoid and used the criollio to give a better feel and enhance the cigar.

Adam, are you free Friday evening?

T.G
03-03-2011, 03:07 PM
Adam, are you free Friday evening?

Anything for you big boy.

N2 GOLD
03-03-2011, 03:11 PM
Welcome.

That question could be asked of any cigar really. I think most cigars are worth at least a try at some point, you never know what you will find that you happen to like. Because you might not like one barber pole or dual wrapper cigar, doesn't mean you'll dislike all of them. It's like any other cigar, some manufacturers will make cigars you like, some will make those that you don't.

Very true, THANK YOU very much... -(P

bigswol2
03-03-2011, 03:13 PM
I like the Fuente Between the Lines. Nice mild/med smoke but a tad pricey!

mariogolbee
03-03-2011, 03:20 PM
Anything for you big boy.
:D:tu
I like the Fuente Between the Lines. Nice mild/med smoke but a tad pricey!
:tpd: Tampa Sweetheart's price on the little 6 pack sampler is reasonable.

I like the Taboo Twists, but they are almost always too darned tight. If you can still find the RP Double Fusion give one or two a shot. Didn't care for the CAO Am. that I smoked.

SDmate
03-03-2011, 03:20 PM
http://people.ambrosiasw.com/~andrew/cigars/cohiba40th_barberpoles.jpg

:dr:dr:dr
:sw
so you like the taste so floor sweepings & pubic hair......

neoflex
03-03-2011, 03:35 PM
:sw
so you like the taste so floor sweepings & pubic hair......

You don't?:r

bajaraider
03-03-2011, 04:06 PM
I have been sitting on a couple of CAO Americas. I did not know so many of these were out there. I have also had the La Gloria two wrapper. It was delicious! :dr

md4958
03-03-2011, 04:06 PM
As usual, great information Adam.

T.G
03-03-2011, 04:10 PM
Thanks Moe.

Bill86
03-03-2011, 04:29 PM
The question is are the "Cohiba" Barberpoles as good as the Cohibos or the Glass top "Cohibas"? Which ones the real dogrocket :r. I would buy them as a gag gift to mess with people.

guitar4001
03-04-2011, 09:54 AM
Nope.

The two capas are cut so that they overlap on the rolling bench and applied together in the same motion.

Here is a video of the capas being applied to a CAO America. A barber pole cigar would be an identical process, just a wider overlap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JISX_CdPKg

cool vid. I should clarify - some barberpole cigars are made using the maduro strip method. Some tapa negra cigars for example and the Carlos III. The outer strip is help on using the pectin or cigar glue.