PDA

View Full Version : A. Fuente Agitation

Nathan King
03-03-2011, 11:15 AM
Answer me this. Why, after so many years of production, can a person not find an entire box of OpusX for sale without nearly selling a kidney? There are many cigar manufacturers several magnitudes smaller than Arturo Fuente that manage to provide the market ample supply of their "special" cigars.

:c :c

swh127
03-03-2011, 11:38 AM
Arturo Fuente has always kept their production of their "special" cigars low. It is either:

A: they don't have enough of the tobacco required for these cigars
or
B: marketing ploy to drive up hype and price of these cigars.

Guess which one is most likely.

Give me an Anejo over an opus any day (granted I have never tried a 2 year old aged opus - have 2 that are about 1 - 1.5, still waiting on those)

wayner123
03-03-2011, 11:40 AM
Answer me this. Why, after so many years of production, can a person not find an entire box of OpusX for sale without nearly selling a kidney? There are many cigar manufacturers several magnitudes smaller than Arturo Fuente that manage to provide the market ample supply of their "special" cigars.

:c :c

My first thought is that you are not looking in the right places. But it's supply and demand mostly.

ajacobs
03-03-2011, 11:42 AM
I used to smoke a lot of opus I had a regular supplier that always had it in stock at msrp. Now I live in a state that doesn't have as single opus dealer. It pains me greatly. But I think the issue is that there is limited raw materials. It isn't like most other stuff where they can just make more. And while it seems that other makers have plenty of a supply of their more limited cigars it is probably because they are in much less demand.

OLS
03-03-2011, 12:16 PM
One thing for sure, don't get too deep in the hype and believe you HAVE to have a box. FAR too many cigars
out there now for that kind of thinking. I started back into cigars about the time these originated, and I am
embarassed by my actions back then. Fresh they are not worth smoking, aged, who knows...someone does, lol.
But grab you a few to age and move on. My dos centavos.

Ogre
03-03-2011, 12:16 PM
Go to Fuentes website. Tampasweethearsts.com. Get on their mailing list. They announce some releases and you can purchase some cigars directly from them.

Nathan King
03-03-2011, 07:53 PM
I would like to thank everybody for their responses and suggestions. I realize that OpusX are not "the best" out there; however, I enjoy them and would like a box to age. I will get on the Tampa Sweethearts mailing list as soon as possible.

T.G
03-03-2011, 08:01 PM
I might be mistaken here since it's been awhile, but I don't think Tampa Sweethearts will sell an entire box of any HTF/seasonal Fuentes at once, IIRC, they limit the number of cigars you can buy per day, even over the phone.

Bill86
03-03-2011, 08:06 PM
I agree on liking Anejos a lot more than Opus X. Pm Inbound regarding a place to find these sticks.

ajacobs
03-03-2011, 08:54 PM
I might be mistaken here since it's been awhile, but I don't think Tampa Sweethearts will sell an entire box of any HTF/seasonal Fuentes at once, IIRC, they limit the number of cigars you can buy per day, even over the phone.

Everytime I call there is a limit. I still have some boxes of opus I am aging from before I moved by now I am hording them because I can't easily replace them. Takes the fun out of it.

T.G
03-03-2011, 09:08 PM
Thanks. That's how I thought I remembered it, but I wasn't 100% sure.

awsmith4
03-03-2011, 09:21 PM
I know a good number of guys with two kidneys that have boxes of Opus so they must be available somewhere.

Dunkel
03-04-2011, 01:53 AM
I would like to thank everybody for their responses and suggestions.

Very cool of you to take the time to thank those that helped you. :tu

NCRadioMan
03-04-2011, 04:38 AM
The easiest way to get a whole box is to befriend the folks at the local b&m who are official retailers of Opus.

:2

shilala
03-04-2011, 04:59 AM
I just saw a bunch of Opus at Allegheny Smokeworks in Blawnox, PA. I didn't specifically look for unopened boxes, but there were plenty there to make a box, all at prices far less than the kidney prices you'll pay online.
I have three collectors tins, one of each size, that I'll send you at what I paid for them, if you like. The prices are all far below what you see them selling for online. Just drop me a pm if you think you might be interested, I can send you the prices. You'll be pleased, I'm sure. :tu

On the "why?" part...
A limited volume protects quality, market value, and demand. They don't need to make anymore. Why they started the Anejo 60 with Anejos flooding shelves, I don't understand. Maybe they decided to flood the market with that brand and see what happens?
If you're really on the ball, or at the right place at the right time, you'll find them at msrp. I don't smoke them, but I see them all over at very fair prices, especially for the most hallowed of the nc's.

OLS
03-04-2011, 06:52 AM
The easiest way to get a whole box is to befriend the folks at the local b&m who are official retailers of Opus.

:2This is very true. I had a friendconist in Tallahassee who used to feel sorry for me for
driving in from Dothan, AL every weekend to pick up my two Opus cigars. I bought other stuff,
but it was a ritual. I think it was 3 hours or a little more. One day he said come by a little early
when it's just the old ladies walking around the mall and I will throw up the roll-up door and we
can do some shopping before the store opens. He hands me a box of Opus Double Coronas and
says, "you want em?" I said hell yeah, and I got those and about a dozen other boxes he was
gonna close out, 35-40 a box. Walked out with a ton of smokes that day and a few Saturdays after
that. He and I got along great, lol. Your tobacconist has to get the idea that you are a happy and
loyal customer and have a decent amount of discretion. Tougher than ever in the internet age.

wayner123
03-04-2011, 06:55 AM
Which mall in Tallahassee was this? I used to go to a B&M all the time in Governer's Square.

OLS
03-04-2011, 07:26 AM
That was it, Smoke and Snuff. The guy is certainly not there any longer, this was, as I said, probably 15 years ago.

wayner123
03-04-2011, 07:32 AM
That was it, Smoke and Snuff. The guy is certainly not there any longer, this was, as I said, probably 15 years ago.

Yeah I was going there back in 96-99. Granted in 96 I was too young to buying cigars, I liked the smell of the shop as it seemed he always had pipe smoke going.

shilala
03-04-2011, 07:42 AM
Yeah I was going there back in 96-99. Granted in 96 I was too young to buying cigars, I liked the smell of the shop as it seemed he always had pipe smoke going.
Nothing to add except "I thought you were older than me."
You're just a baby, Wayne!!! :D

wayner123
03-04-2011, 07:49 AM
Nothing to add except "I thought you were older than me."
You're just a baby, Wayne!!! :D

LOL, you and Excel (whodeeni) thought the same thing. That was one of the quotes from this years EPIC Herf; "I thought you were an old man?!?" - Excel

shilala
03-04-2011, 07:53 AM
LOL, you and Excel (whodeeni) thought the same thing. That was one of the quotes from this years EPIC Herf; "I thought you were an old man?!?" - Excel
I've been around here a good piece longer than Excel, too. Surprised the heck out of me. I had you for late 50's, mid-60's, at best guess. ;s
Maybe it's the old man avatar?

wayner123
03-04-2011, 07:58 AM
I've been around here a good piece longer than Excel, too. Surprised the heck out of me. I had you for late 50's, mid-60's, at best guess. ;s
Maybe it's the old man avatar?

I would like to think it is my wise and sage advise that made you think I was older, but it's probably the avatar or the grumpy old man way I have of writing sometimes. :p

shilala
03-04-2011, 07:59 AM
I would like to think it is my wise and sage advise that made you think I was older, but it's probably the avatar or the grumpy old man way I have of writing sometimes. :p
I bet it was the wise and sage advice. :D

brigey57
03-04-2011, 08:07 AM
There is another possible answer to the question. To keep the quality control over the production there is a process for creating this high quality high demand cigar, which include supply of a specific product and time.

To rush the process will reduce the quality of the cigar which would not please anyone, or make the cigar just like other cigars that do not meet the pleasure of an Opus X. Say what you may about the cigar but the demand for the product produces the price paid.

Face it, if the cigar was not worth the price there would be no demand. How long does it take to grow the tobacco leaf? How long does the leaf need to age to obtain the flavor? What are the conditions necessary to produce the properly aged stick?

When you can answer these questions you will know why the cost is what it is and the availability where it is. If you can find another cigar with the quality of an Opus X at a discount price buy it. If Not, don't complain about the price or availability. JMHO :2

Arturo Fuente has always kept their production of their "special" cigars low. It is either:

A: they don't have enough of the tobacco required for these cigars
or
B: marketing ploy to drive up hype and price of these cigars.

Guess which one is most likely.

Give me an Anejo over an opus any day (granted I have never tried a 2 year old aged opus - have 2 that are about 1 - 1.5, still waiting on those)

I used to smoke a lot of opus I had a regular supplier that always had it in stock at msrp. Now I live in a state that doesn't have as single opus dealer. It pains me greatly. But I think the issue is that there is limited raw materials. It isn't like most other stuff where they can just make more. And while it seems that other makers have plenty of a supply of their more limited cigars it is probably because they are in much less demand.

wayner123
03-04-2011, 08:15 AM
Another thought I had is this; From what I can gather, in order for a B&M to get sent Opus X, they must be a Fuente retailer. And again, from what I have gathered, to be a Fuente retailer, one must carry all of the lines of Fuente. That's a lot of product and cost for a B&M to carry for the chance of getting sent Opus twice a year. So it might be that the reason there are less shops that have Opus, is because the Boutique brands are putting out great quality smokes and not requiring such cumbersome retail tactics.

That all being said, you should look in the retailer section at the bottom of the forum and call some of them. Ol' Times is one that is close by and they have Opus at or around MSRP.

T.G
03-04-2011, 09:19 AM
Another thought I had is this; From what I can gather, in order for a B&M to get sent Opus X, they must be a Fuente retailer. And again, from what I have gathered, to be a Fuente retailer, one must carry all of the lines of Fuente. That's a lot of product and cost for a B&M to carry for the chance of getting sent Opus twice a year. So it might be that the reason there are less shops that have Opus, is because the Boutique brands are putting out great quality smokes and not requiring such cumbersome retail tactics.

That's pretty close to how Mark Just, "NorCalMark", the owner of Tower Cigars told it when we were talking about Opus X distribution once. There's an extra account level that a shop has to have to get Opus X, in addition to being a Fuente account, they have to be an Opus X authorized account. Mark / Tower has been an Opus X premiere account since the Opus X was first released and yes, you do have to sell such-and-such volume of certain certain lines to get others. For a long time, very few Opus X accounts were being added, so accounts typically got good quantities of cigars. All of a sudden, Fuente authorized more accounts, but production didn't seem to change much, so all of a sudden, accounts were now only getting a few boxes of cigars.

As for boutique cigar brands, actually a lot of them do have multiple levels of accounts and somewhat similar sales quotas which determine what a retailer can get from their line.

wayner123
03-04-2011, 09:47 AM
That's pretty close to how Mark Just, "NorCalMark", the owner of Tower Cigars told it when we were talking about Opus X distribution once. There's an extra account level that a shop has to have to get Opus X, in addition to being a Fuente account, they have to be an Opus X authorized account. Mark / Tower has been an Opus X premiere account since the Opus X was first released and yes, you do have to sell such-and-such volume of certain certain lines to get others. For a long time, very few Opus X accounts were being added, so accounts typically got good quantities of cigars. All of a sudden, Fuente authorized more accounts, but production didn't seem to change much, so all of a sudden, accounts were now only getting a few boxes of cigars.

As for boutique cigar brands, actually a lot of them do have multiple levels of accounts and somewhat similar sales quotas which determine what a retailer can get from their line.

Thanks for that Adam. I guess then the question for me is do the boutique brand accounts require as much $$ (sold or inventory) to get the limited editions? I would not think so, but that is only my opinion, not based on any hard evidence. From what I understood, Fuente makes retailers carry ALL of their lines from Fuente to Montesino, etc.

T.G
03-04-2011, 10:09 AM
Thanks for that Adam. I guess then the question for me is do the boutique brand accounts require as much $$ (sold or inventory) to get the limited editions? I would not think so, but that is only my opinion, not based on any hard evidence. From what I understood, Fuente makes retailers carry ALL of their lines from Fuente to Montesino, etc.

Mark did mention some numbers/percentages of how many of "this Fuente / Ashton" you have to sell to get "That (high end) Fuente / Ashton", but, I don't remember any real specifics as to what they were to be able to say how they might compare to other cigar manufacturers numbers / percentages, say, for example, Tatuaje or Viaje as there are multiple levels of Tatuaje accounts and they are sales number & seniority based also.