PDA

View Full Version : 601 Habano Red Robusto

RevSmoke
02-28-2011, 05:12 PM
This was also a gift from someone, but I don't remember who. Whoever it was, thanks.

601 Habano Red Robusto (5X50) (old band)

0.0 - 2.0 = poor/inferior quality
2.1 - 2.9 = fair
3.0 - 3.5 = good
3.5 - 4.5 = excellent
4.6 - 5.0 = superior

1) Aesthetics: A gorgeous Colorado wrapper, some slight veins. I like the old band better than the new one, very nice.presentation.

Score for aesthetics: 4.7

2) Pre-light Construction: Some nice heft, this is a full cigar that is very firm and the tobacco is every evenly distributed.

Score for Pre-light construction: 4.5

3) Post-light Construction/How it smoked: Wow, I don’t even have try to pull smoke through this cigar - and given the firmness of the roll and the heft, thinking it a full roll, that is very surprising. For the most part, it exhibited a sharp burn, but I did touch it up a couple times, but only because I am a bit anal about an even burn. This stick produces a white firm ash.

Score for post-light construction: 4.6

4) Flavor and strength: My first thought was, “WOW!” There is an interesting mix of flavors with this stick, many I have a problem identifying. A sharp tingle on that nose when I retrohale shows a predominance of pepper. There is some fruitness, some leather, and coffee interplaying in this very complex smoke..

Score for flavor and strength: 4.9

5) Finish/Aftertaste: This finishes nicely, a bit heavily, but some pleasant flavors of spice on the palate.

Score for aftertaste:4.5

6) Aroma: A pleasant hit of pepper and complexity makes this an enjoyable smoke on the nose.

Score for aroma: 4.8

7) General Comments: I enjoyed this with a Samuel Adams Holiday Porter. I like the strength and the complexity of the flavors.

Overall score for the cigar:4.5

sofaman
02-28-2011, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the review this used to be my favorite go to stick havent had one in a while I need to revisit it.

ajacobs
02-28-2011, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the review.

kelmac07
02-28-2011, 06:21 PM
Nice review Todd!! :tu :tu

HollywoodQue
02-28-2011, 07:30 PM
Thanks Todd, I hope all is well.

RevSmoke
03-01-2011, 06:51 AM
Thanks for the kind words. Yes, all is well.

timj219
03-01-2011, 12:16 PM
This sounds good. But it's "old band". Is it just an old band or is the blend changed too? Anybody know?

NCRadioMan
03-01-2011, 12:24 PM
This sounds good. But it's "old band". Is it just an old band or is the blend changed too? Anybody know?

Not sure if the blend has changed yet but yes, Pepin was going to refine the blend to make it a bit stronger.

Again, I say those new bands are the worst, ever! Thanks goes to Rocky. :rolleyes:

tx_tuff
03-01-2011, 01:38 PM
I love the 601 Red and Green. Thanks for the review.

billybarue
03-02-2011, 08:14 PM
I like the Rabito (long corona) in the reds. I sure hope RP doesn't get in the way of this blend. I hear they are going to get rid of the new bands. Hope they go back to the old ones.