PDA

View Full Version : Recipes with Beer

ChicagoWhiteSox
02-28-2011, 09:03 AM
Anyone make any stews, main dishes, ect. with beer? I've seen a lot of Guinness stew recipes out there, and it made me wonder, how good would a beef stew be with a bottle of Great Divide Oak Aged Yeti(insert your favorite Imperial Stout) added to the mix!?!:dr

Domer
02-28-2011, 10:01 AM
the old standard beer can chicken. they even sell a rack that you put your beer in and then slide the chicken over so it stands up on the grill. I season the chicken with herbs and garlic and stuff an apple or an onion in the top to keep most of the steam in the cavity of the bird.

Not a lot of noticeable beer flavor to the meat but really keeps it from drying out and it's a crowd pleaser.

Bunker
02-28-2011, 10:10 AM
I never make chili without a 12 ounce beer in the mix. Usually plain old Bud is fine, but I have used others to change things up (Blue moon gave it an interesting flavor and any dark beer works too).

mmblz
02-28-2011, 10:54 AM
Just made some bread the other day. Has beer and onions in it, and you roll up cheese in the middle. It was awesome.

zappaFREAK
02-28-2011, 10:57 AM
My mother used to make something she called beef and beer. She would cut up a nice steak and put it in a pot with beer and some other stuff and served it over rice. My mouth is watering thinking about it. Every week my wife makes the shopping list and always needs another meal, I invariably answer beef and beer. she never makes it because she is allergic to hops. I try to tell her that cooking releases all that to no avail. I will see if I can dig up the recipe for you more fortunate folks!

T.G
02-28-2011, 11:24 AM
I cook with beer all the time.

Sometimes I even add it to the food.

landhoney
02-28-2011, 12:12 PM
Look up beer steamed mussels (if you like mussels that is). You can use all types of beer (except very dark beers I think would be too much for the mussels, i.e. stouts and porters), will change the taste obviously, but just make the broth to taste/recipe and throw in the mussels, it's that easy.
It also nice because you can easily make a few different broths and then have a variety or for individuals with different tastes (for instance I add bacon to mine, but wife doesn't like it so I make hers without). :tu

My favorite broth is: crisp bacon chopped, sauteed shallot, blue cheese crumbled, gueze (light sour beer) or white wine, butter, lemon juice, little basil, salt and pepper. Add the mussels to this and serve with crusty bread (dip into broth). These are strong flavors for mussels, but I like that. You could leave out the bacon and blue cheese to make a more mild broth.

Volusianator
02-28-2011, 12:23 PM
I never make chili without a 12 ounce beer in the mix.
Same here, but I use a bottle.

CasaDooley
02-28-2011, 12:43 PM
I cook with beer all the time.

Sometimes I even add it to the food.

:r :tu

gvarsity
02-28-2011, 12:47 PM
Anyone make any stews, main dishes, ect. with beer? I've seen a lot of Guinness stew recipes out there, and it made me wonder, how good would a beef stew be with a bottle of Great Divide Oak Aged Yeti(insert your favorite Imperial Stout) added to the mix!?!:dr

Seems like a waste of a top shelf beer.

innova
02-28-2011, 12:59 PM
Lots of great "drunken" ribeye marinades out there.