PDA

View Full Version : Happy International Rare Disease Day!!!

shilala
02-28-2011, 08:51 AM
It really is, I'm not kidding.
Last year NORD raised $10,000 for Stiffman Syndrome. I was misdiagnosed with Stiffman a couple years ago until they ultimately diagnosed me with Isaac's Syndrome. The two are real close, I think I got the better of the two deals.
Anyways...
If you'll go to this page (http://www.lundbeckinc.com/USA/default.asp) and click in the "Raise Your Hand" box on the right, Lundbeck Inc. will donate a buck for research toward Rare Diseases.

The kind of things NORD deals with are diseases that get very little attention. There's no money in them. It doesn't pay to gather all the data and info and the human tests/trials are very, very limited because of the lack of funding from any direction, so something as small (in medical research terms) as a $10,000 donation can go a long, long way.
In the last 10 years, a lot of treatments have come about because of NORD's involvement. One NORD-connected messageboard I frequent has gathered enough information on symptoms from Isaac's patients all over the world that it's helped spread and create new treatments.
Information that I've gathered there has helped me to form an argument for a drug therapy I'm using right now. I am literally the only Isaac's patient in the world using this drug, and it's working great.

All that was just to say...
When you click the "Make a Difference" button, it really does. :tu

CigarNut
02-28-2011, 09:57 AM
I'm really happy that I don't have any rare diseases!

icehog3
02-28-2011, 10:08 AM
Clicked the link, Scott, every little bit helps. :tu

I am guessing my syphillis isn't considered rare.

ninjavanish
02-28-2011, 10:12 AM

Well, I think a verneral disease implies that you have had to "Shack-up"... in which case, I'm not sure that a douchebag such as yourself does that often or not... so perhaps it is rare Tom. How often would you say this activity occurs? Haha

Just teasin'. :sl;s

Linked and done. Good luck to all with rare diseases. I'm fortunate to only have one rare disease and it's hereditary... it's called plurrhea... it's only symptom is that everything I eat turns to poo. So it's quite managable.

MedicCook
02-28-2011, 10:15 AM
I raised my hand Scott. :tu

icehog3
02-28-2011, 10:35 AM
Well, I think a verneral disease implies that you have had to "Shack-up"... in which case, I'm not sure that a douchebag such as yourself does that often or not... so perhaps it is rare Tom. How often would you say this activity occurs? Haha

I do alright. ;) :r

Gophernut
02-28-2011, 11:01 AM
I raised my hand Scott. :tu

:tpd: Me too!

CasaDooley
02-28-2011, 12:50 PM
Done deal Bro!:tu

shilala
02-28-2011, 02:36 PM

When you calculate the odds of contraction against the frequency in which you're likely to get some scratchin', I'd go ahead and put it in the rare category, my brother. :tu

LeoM
02-28-2011, 02:47 PM
Clicked the link brother :tu

mariogolbee
02-28-2011, 02:57 PM
Clicked it.

icehog3
02-28-2011, 03:09 PM
When you calculate the odds of contraction against the frequency in which you're likely to get some scratchin', I'd go ahead and put it in the rare category, my brother. :tu

Winner!! :wo :wnr

HollywoodQue
02-28-2011, 04:26 PM
I just clicked also

kelmac07
02-28-2011, 05:08 PM
<--------Raised his hand!!

shilala
02-28-2011, 05:22 PM
Winner!! :wo :wnr
That made me lol for real.

icehog3
02-28-2011, 05:54 PM
That made me lol for real.

Be here all za veek. Try the veal. :)

shilala
02-28-2011, 06:11 PM
I'm really happy that I don't have any rare diseases!
Maybe you're not trying hard enough, Michael. Build a house underneath powerlines or something. :tu

MedicCook
02-28-2011, 09:58 PM
Does being a ginger count?

chachee52
03-01-2011, 05:41 AM
Wow, I missed a day for myself? Since 2003 I was diagnosed with a "rare" disease in my knee called BPVNS. Basically my knee joint capsle was being attacked with nodules and my knee was as big as a cantalope (not really exagerating). In Nov 09 I finally decided to have the surgery. They found that it wasn't BPVNS, instead it was a rare form of a tumor what only about 50 cases have ever been reported.
Clicked and done!!