Viaje Satori Karma

Origin : Nicaragua
Format : Robusto
Size : 5 x 52
Wrapper : Select Oscuro
Filler : Nicaragua
Binder : Nicaragua
Hand-Made
Price : $11-13 each (can vary drastically due to availability)

“Satori” meaning enlightenment by the Buddhists, is the perfect description for this superb cigar. I have smoked many Viajes lately and have been exceptionally stunned by some and dulled by others. Andre Farkas, the owner and blender of Viaje, has really put together a spectacular smoke here, so check out the details below.

Appearance : ★★★½☆
This cigar is BLACK!!! A very dark wrapper cloaks a firm packing of brown fillers. The wrapper itself has very minor veins, and a nice triple cap. The band is beautiful and unique with the large Buddha figure in several different colors. Its probably got the neatest band in the market.

Construction : ★★★★½
Although the cigar is packed tight to the touch, it has a perfect draw without any tightness. When cutting the cap I cracked the head, but fortunately it did not affect its performance. The Karma lit easily and burned razor sharp with the light grey ash holding firm for more than 2 inches. The ash provided some cover preventing the cigar from burning hot. At one point during the smoke, I left it sitting for over 2 minutes and picked it up and took a few drags and it still spewed plumes of thick smoke,…… awesome! (A testament to great construction).

Flavor : ★★★★★
Some significant spice and a flavor of soy sauce started this cigar off when first list. I tend to get the soy sauce thing frequently with Viaje sticks. The profile then mellows into some coffee and woodsy notes. The retrohale is where this stick shines because it gives off loads of dark chocolate and meatiness,…. yum! Closer to the 2nd, the power is ratcheted up a bit but still continues to billow out creamy woodsy and new cereal flavors. Chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate end the rest of the cigar and provide deliciousness all the way to the nub. Good God there is a lot of flavor in this stick!

Value : ★★★★☆
In most cases I would not give a $12 cigar a good value rating, but this cigar backs up its price tag with bucket loads of flavor. This is a premium cigar and should be treated as such. Save this one for a good after dinner smoke with great friends. There are just too many great details about this cigar not to justify the price.

Overall Rating : ★★★★★
What comes to mind most when going through the first two thirds of this cigar is Count Chocula cereal! The cereal notes backed with dark chocolate remind when I was a kid eating my morning dose of brown box sugary goodness. This is a very complex cigar with good power that is full bodied. Smoking this one slowly will reward the patient with an amalgamation of different flavors, because letting it burn hot will turn the chocolate/meaty notes severely bitter. All in all, if you can find them then these are definitely box worthy and should age very well.

Bill86
02-24-2011, 10:03 PM
Great review, these sticks are very tasty :dr :tu

GHC_Hambone
02-24-2011, 11:12 PM
Thanks for the review. I have seen these a lot and have been wondering about them.

kelmac07
02-25-2011, 06:21 AM
These are very good!! Thanks for sharing. :D

boonedoggle
04-26-2011, 12:15 PM
Enjoying my first one right now. She does have a very unique flavor profile. Spot on with this review! :)

Zeuceone
04-26-2011, 12:28 PM
these sound like some very good smokes.

N2 GOLD
04-26-2011, 12:32 PM
Great review, these sound very tasty... :tu