PDA

View Full Version : Tubos - To remove or not remove...

michaelmastro
02-23-2011, 04:37 PM
What are the pros and cons of removing tubed cigars for aging? Do they age better out of the tube, or in the tube?

Thanks you all, in advance, and Happy Smoking!

markem
02-23-2011, 04:47 PM
wow, like this is one question that has never, ever been discussed here. If it had been, one would be justified in just pointing out that all the new user docs mention using the search function for common questions, but since it has never, ever been asked here before ...

well, there ya go.

Bageland2000
02-23-2011, 05:05 PM
yikes,:tpd:

you may want to try introducing yourself and read the rulzes, before you start asking questions like that :2

DennisP
02-23-2011, 05:10 PM
wow, like this is one question that has never, ever been discussed here. If it had been, one would be justified in just pointing out that all the new user docs mention using the search function for common questions, but since it has never, ever been asked here before ...

well, there ya go.

Hey Mark, any thoughts on cello?

pnoon
02-23-2011, 05:12 PM
Hey guys. How about some gentle guidance?

Michael - welcome to Cigar Asylum. Some questions are fairly basic and have been asked over and over again. There are a lot of good people here and tons of information. Head on over to the New Inmate forum and introduce yourself.

longknocker
02-23-2011, 05:35 PM

Michael - welcome to Cigar Asylum. Some questions are fairly basic and have been asked over and over again. There are a lot of good people here and tons of information. Head on over to the New Inmate forum and introduce yourself.

Thank You, Peter!:tu

druturn
02-23-2011, 06:26 PM
This is debated among the brothers around here. Personally, I never really buy tubos, so this is not really an issue for me. When I do buy them, I remove the tubos simply for space issues and so that they do not tear the wrappers of my other cigars.

hotreds
02-23-2011, 06:28 PM
Happy smoking to you as well!

thecatch83
02-23-2011, 07:01 PM
I just ordered some Bolivar Crystal Tubo's Robusto's and I plan on keeping them sealed up in my coolidor for quite sometime. I see no reason (space permitting) why you can't leave them sealed up in a humidity controlled setting. GL and welcome to the Asylum!

JPH
02-23-2011, 07:09 PM
You can search to find others opinions but I will offer my opinion on the matter and it is I do not, have never and will never remove cigars from the tubes. Age the cigars how they were packaged is my rule. Don't forget to remove the tube before smoking though otherwise it leaves a metalic taste that is undesirable by many... Also when you attempt to advance the ageing of the cigars in the microwave you need to remove the tube too... That's right folks people have tried this... Lol

icehog3
02-23-2011, 07:12 PM
I leave the cigars in the tubes. If I find that some tubed cigars with age on them are smoking a little flat, I will remove the cap from the tube and age them that way.

Don't let the inmates run you off, we were all new once. :)

Emjaysmash
02-23-2011, 08:24 PM
I leave the cigars in the tubes. If I find that some tubed cigars with age on them are smoking a little flat, I will remove the cap from the tube and age them that way.

Don't let the inmates run you off, we were all new once. :)

:tpd:

alexa071
02-23-2011, 10:55 PM

well, there ya go.

Wow... I haven't been here that long myself and don't post often but ;s

When I got into cigars last year I landed here because of the obnoxious behavior on the OTHER sites... I guess things have changed over the last year...

Is is so horrible to just guide the man to the new member forum and answer such a simple question?

Randy

michaelmastro
02-24-2011, 07:38 AM
First of all, pardon the hell out of me for asking what I thought to be a legitimate question. Second of all, thanks to those who provided usable information.

michaelmastro
02-24-2011, 07:40 AM
Oh, and to introduce myself - I'm Michael Mastro, award winning Photographer and Graphic Designer. Former roadie for rock and r+b acts. Have lived in Los Angeles, Seattle, Santa Cruz California, Hawaii, Texas, Georgia, and now, Mobile Alabama. What am I leaving out? Married, two sons, one grandson.

And I've been smoking cigars for a long time.

pnoon
02-24-2011, 07:42 AM
Chill out folks.
If you read the thread, two admins have posted an attempt to smooth things over. No need to stir things up.
Posted via Mobile Device

Christiel49
02-24-2011, 07:44 AM
:tu

I found the Newbie intro to be very informative. Welcome :D

Christiel49
02-24-2011, 07:46 AM
Oh, and to introduce myself - I'm Michael Mastro, award winning Photographer and Graphic Designer. Former roadie for rock and r+b acts. Have lived in Los Angeles, Seattle, Santa Cruz California, Hawaii, Texas, Georgia, and now, Mobile Alabama. What am I leaving out? Married, two sons, one grandson.

Welcome to CA....... I actually have not purchased any in tubes, so thanks for the info!

michaelmastro
02-24-2011, 07:57 AM
I did a search and my question is what turned up. I still wonder if the cigars in the tube will age the same as they would if I remove them. The cigars in question are R+J Havana Churchills.

Emjaysmash
02-24-2011, 08:02 AM
I did a search and my question is what turned up. I still wonder if the cigars in the tube will age the same as they would if I remove them. The cigars in question are R+J Havana Churchills.

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=12568&highlight=storing+tubos

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1964&highlight=storing+tubos

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=10703&highlight=storing+tubos

wayner123
02-24-2011, 08:04 AM

Welcome.

Are you also running from the Jewish Mafia? :r

michaelmastro
02-24-2011, 08:57 AM
Are you also running from the Jewish Mafia?

Ha!

michaelmastro
02-24-2011, 08:59 AM
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=12568&highlight=storing+tubos

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1964&highlight=storing+tubos

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=10703&highlight=storing+tubos

Thank you, Mooch. Your references have lead me to the conclusion that it's all a matter of preference. I think I'm going to remove the caps and leave them in the tubes.

Thanks to all, and Happy Smoking!

Emjaysmash
02-24-2011, 09:08 AM
Thank you, Mooch. Your references have lead me to the conclusion that it's all a matter of preference. I think I'm going to remove the caps and leave them in the tubes.

Lol I'd rather go by M.J. or if need be "Hammer".

Glad I could help.

floydpink
02-24-2011, 09:15 AM
Welcome Michael, and please stay around a while.

This is a really great place once you get done pledging!:D

Personally, I like to leave the cap on and store tubos. Not sure why, it just hapens that way.

michaelmastro
02-24-2011, 09:21 AM
MJ - Thank you and will do.

Floyd - You might enjoy this - I saw Pink Floyd with Syd.

As for those R+J tubos - Since I will only smoke one a year, I think I'm going to leave them in the box with the top off the tubes.

NCRadioMan
02-24-2011, 09:23 AM
Cigars age in tubes better than if they were sitting out of them. I'm talking 10/15+ years. The tube creates it's own micro environment with, hopefully, not much air exchange and the cigar will stew in it's own brew, if you will. The slow aging with as less air exchange as possible is usually desired.

Leave those tubes closed because in the years to come, they should become spectacular. Like igehog said, before you smoke one, you might want to get it out of the tube for a week or so to let it breath.

A good example are the 98 H Upmann Monarca's. The ones in the tubes are so much better right now!

:2

Welcome!

floydpink
02-24-2011, 09:27 AM
MJ - Thank you and will do.

Floyd - You might enjoy this - I saw Pink Floyd with Syd.

As for those R+J tubos - Since I will only smoke one a year, I think I'm going to leave them in the box with the top off the tubes.

I had a feeling you were old from your intro! (just kidding, I promise!!)

I saw them on the Animals tour, but Syd was institutionalized by then. (he woulda probably fit in great here)

I'd love to hear about some of the acts you roadied for.

Back to the subject, I find that the Cohiba Siglo II's I have in the tubo are normally smoking much better than the ones from the box.

icehog3
02-24-2011, 09:32 AM
Like igehog said, before you smoke one, you might want to get it out of the tube for a week or so to let it breath.

Stupid sexy igehog. :mad:

michaelmastro
02-24-2011, 09:38 AM
Cigars age in tubes better than if they were sitting out of them. I'm talking 10/15+ years. The tube creates it's own micro environment with, hopefully, not much air exchange and the cigar will stew in it's own brew, if you will. The slow aging with as less air exchange as possible is usually desired.

Leave those tubes closed because in the years to come, they should become spectacular. Like igehog said, before you smoke one, you might want to get it out of the tube for a week or so to let it breath.

A good example are the 98 H Upmann Monarca's. The ones in the tubes are so much better right now!

:2

Welcome!

That makes sense. I always thought that the tube, with a bit of cedar inside, would be a good aging environment.

NCRadioMan
02-24-2011, 09:39 AM
Stupid sexy igehog. :mad:

I know, it's hard to stay away from the mighty igehog. :sh

michaelmastro
02-24-2011, 09:40 AM
I had a feeling you were old from your intro! (just kidding, I promise!!)

I saw them on the Animals tour, but Syd was institutionalized by then. (he woulda probably fit in great here)

I'd love to hear about some of the acts you roadied for.

Back to the subject, I find that the Cohiba Siglo II's I have in the tubo are normally smoking much better than the ones from the box.

The time that I saw them was 1967 at the Shrine Exposition Hall in Los Angeles - Blue Cheer, Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac, The Jeff Beck Group and Pink Floyd. For about $2.25.

I roadied for Atlanta Rhythm Section, The Georgia Satellites, The SOS Band, and The Dazz Band.

And, yes I am old. I turned 60 last November...

michaelmastro
02-24-2011, 09:41 AM
BTW - I just started "dry boxing" and it seems to make a difference. More even burn and no bitterness.

Mr B
02-24-2011, 09:43 AM
Thank you, Mooch. Your references have lead me to the conclusion that it's all a matter of preference. I think I'm going to remove the caps and leave them in the tubes.Thanks to all, and Happy Smoking!

That what I do too.

Welcome

NCRadioMan
02-24-2011, 09:46 AM
BTW - I just started "dry boxing" and it seems to make a difference. More even burn and no bitterness.

Now, all you have to do is keep your humidors 60-64% and you can cut out the dry boxing step altogether.

Bruzee
02-24-2011, 09:47 AM

Sweet! Do you photograph cigars? I love me some cigar art!! :tu

Oh, and welcome!

HollywoodQue
02-24-2011, 09:48 AM
I have a H.Upmann cc and a few RYJ still in the tubes...let us know what you kind

rizzle
02-24-2011, 09:49 AM

For realz, man. Everybody was a newb at one time or another. Hell, I'm still a newb to this stuff and I joined when the forum started. And sometimes I hesitate to ask a question because, God forbid, it's been asked before and I didn't use the search function and somebody "who knows stuff" feels like taking a quick jab. Whatever.

NCRadioMan
02-24-2011, 09:51 AM
For realz, man. Everybody was a newb at one time or another. Hell, I'm still a newb to this stuff and I joined when the forum started. And sometimes I hesitate to ask a question because, God forbid, it's been asked before and I didn't use the search function and somebody "who knows stuff" feels like taking a quick jab. Whatever.

Note to self: Next time riz asks a question, tell him to use the search button. ;) :D

icehog3
02-24-2011, 09:54 AM
Now, all you have to do is keep your humidors 60-64% and you can cut out the dry boxing step altogether.

'zactly! :tu

michaelmastro
02-24-2011, 09:55 AM
Sweet! Do you photograph cigars? I love me some cigar art!! :tu

Oh, and welcome!

One of these days I'll have to shoot the cigars I keep for special occasions...

michaelmastro
02-24-2011, 09:57 AM

I like the idea of aging at 70-72% and then dry boxing for a few days.

icehog3
02-24-2011, 09:59 AM
I like the idea of aging at 70-72% and then dry boxing for a few days.

May I ask why, Michael?

rizzle
Note to self: Next time riz asks a question, tell him to use the search button. ;) :D

Thanks, bro...you know I love you, man. :noon

shilala

I purposely avoid tubos because they mold up on me. If I get Anejos and they're in cedar, I take it off for the same reason.
It's odd because I keep all my stuff down around 60%, as a rule. So by all means, stuff should not mold up. The fur doesn't harm anything, but I just don't dig it.
I think you made the right decision, and welcome to the asylum!!! :tu

P.S.
Don't mind Mark, he was in a mood, and for good reason. He had a really rough day, and he's not generally a dick. I think Peter gave him a time-out. :D

NCRadioMan
02-24-2011, 10:02 AM
May I ask why, Michael?

I am interested as well. Nothing wrong with it, as long as you enjoy your cigars but I am curious.

michaelmastro
02-24-2011, 10:03 AM
May I ask why, Michael?

My thought is this - Cigars are made in countries where the average humidity is around 70% and they don't use humidors. So I figure that should be the best humidity for aging. Any thoughts?

michaelmastro
02-24-2011, 10:04 AM
Thanks, bro...you know I love you, man. :noon

I only have two words for you: ROLL TIDE!!!

rizzle
02-24-2011, 10:06 AM
I only have two words for you: ROLL TIDE!!!

Me thinks you'll fit in around here just fine. :D

Roll Tide, brother. :tu

pnoon
02-24-2011, 10:13 AM
I purposely avoid tubos because they mold up on me. If I get Anejos and they're in cedar, I take it off for the same reason.
It's odd because I keep all my stuff down around 60%, as a rule. So by all means, stuff should not mold up. The fur doesn't harm anything, but I just don't dig it.
I think you made the right decision, and welcome to the asylum!!! :tu

P.S.
Don't mind Mark, he was in a mood, and for good reason. He had a really rough day, and he's not generally a dick. I think Peter gave him a time-out. :D
You couldn't be more wrong. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

floydpink
02-24-2011, 10:24 AM
The time that I saw them was 1967 at the Shrine Exposition Hall in Los Angeles - Blue Cheer, Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac, The Jeff Beck Group and Pink Floyd. For about $2.25.

I roadied for Atlanta Rhythm Section, The Georgia Satellites, The SOS Band, and The Dazz Band.

And, yes I am old. I turned 60 last November...

What a lineup.

I was still in diapers in 67.

I didn't know Fleetwood Mac was touring in 67

shilala
02-24-2011, 10:33 AM
You couldn't be more wrong. :)
Posted via Mobile Device
lol ;)

kelmac07
02-24-2011, 10:38 AM
Former roadie for rock and r+b acts.

Welcome to the MADHOUSE!! What rock/R&B bands?

michaelmastro
02-24-2011, 11:11 AM
Welcome to the MADHOUSE!! What rock/R&B bands?

Chainsaw13
02-24-2011, 11:12 AM

Don't forget about wetting the wrapper before lighting. It works, really.

michaelmastro
02-24-2011, 11:22 AM
What a lineup.

I was still in diapers in 67.

I didn't know Fleetwood Mac was touring in 67

This was the original line up.

floydpink
02-24-2011, 11:39 AM
This was the original line up.

Yep, you're right.

I went back and researched it, out of curiousity.

Seems like Peter Green went the same direction as Syd Barrett.

I saw them in the early 80's and still put Stevie Nicks' performance that night as one of the best I ever witnessed from a rock band, although it was induced by heavy drugs.

She looked possessed during Rhiannon and couldn't take her eyes off Lindsey.

I think this was from around that time...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR_i0sKWKEA

michaelmastro
02-24-2011, 11:42 AM
Yep, you're right.

I went back and researched it, out of curiousity.

Seems like Peter Green went the same direction as Syd Barrett.

I saw them in the early 80's and still put Stevie Nicks' performance that night as one of the best I ever witnessed from a rock band, although it was induced by heavy drugs.

Stevie and Lindsay made that band into a great band. Take a look at these...

http://www.michaelmastro.com/mac.thumbs.html

This was 1976-77.

floydpink
02-24-2011, 11:50 AM

This was 1976-77.

WOW!

I would be interested in purchasing one of those or trading some cigars.

I saw you have Deep Purple in there as well.

I was lucky enough to meet Ian Gillan at my friend's English Pub here in Orlando and stayed after closing and partied with him and a couple other guys and got backstage the next night at the show. Totally cool guy.

michaelmastro
02-24-2011, 01:12 PM
WOW!

I would be interested in purchasing one of those or trading some cigars.

I saw you have Deep Purple in there as well.

I was lucky enough to meet Ian Gillan at my friend's English Pub here in Orlando and stayed after closing and partied with him and a couple other guys and got backstage the next night at the show. Totally cool guy.

An old friend of mine is in Deep Purple now - Steve Morse. I saw The Ian Gillan Band, but the venue was horrible for shooting. I did get a couple of good shots of him in the dressing room. Whatta voice!

Trading for cigars... I'm interested! What do you have in mind?

Blueface
02-24-2011, 02:31 PM
Welcome Michael.

Tubo yes for me.
I leave them as is in humi.
Very beaten down subject as you will find.

I am in Mobile once every six weeks or so.
Have never had a cigar while there as can't find a location.
Maybe you can share a good spot and we can enjoy a smoke some time.

michaelmastro
02-24-2011, 02:42 PM
Welcome Michael.

Tubo yes for me.
I leave them as is in humi.
Very beaten down subject as you will find.

I am in Mobile once every six weeks or so.
Have never had a cigar while there as can't find a location.
Maybe you can share a good spot and we can enjoy a smoke some time.

I meet friends for cigars and coffee, downtown at Serda's Coffee Company, Royal and Dauphin, almost every weekday at 10am, and on Sundays at noon. You are more than welcome to join us. Or, per your schedule. It will be good to make your acquaintance.

rizzle
02-24-2011, 02:48 PM

This was 1976-77.

Is Mick as crazy as he really looks. :D

Blueface
02-24-2011, 02:49 PM
I meet friends for cigars and coffee, downtown at Serda's Coffee Company, Royal and Dauphin, almost every weekday at 10am, and on Sundays at noon. You are more than welcome to join us. Or, per your schedule. It will be good to make your acquaintance.

Will take you up on it and let you know next trip.

Saw you website. Awesome stuff. Former wedding photographer here for many years. We can spend a day on photography alone and never get to cigars.:r

michaelmastro
02-24-2011, 03:00 PM
Will take you up on it and let you know next trip.

Saw you website. Awesome stuff. Former wedding photographer here for many years. We can spend a day on photography alone and never get to cigars.:r

Thank you. I appreciate it.

I host a Photography Club on the second and fourth Fridays. I'm getting ready for an exhibition of my work from a trip to Italy last November, where we visited the three villages my grandparents came from.

We could spend a day discussing photography, indeed, but until they make it illegal, we can smoke a cigar while we do.

michaelmastro
02-24-2011, 03:02 PM
Is Mick as crazy as he really looks. :D

Very intelligent guy. Very tall - about 6'8". Didn't strike me as any weirder than anyone else I hung around with at the time. Then again, I hung around with musicians and commercial artists.

Ncpsycho
11-25-2011, 07:11 AM
Thanks for The links....i should have searched first.. luckily no angry posts here lol