PDA

View Full Version : Newbie questions....

DMK
02-22-2011, 06:38 PM
O.K.,.... I'm looking for some info and what some of your favorites are.
I haven't smoked a pipe for a lot of years, since I gave up the long distance driving. I was a casual and uninformed pipe smoker at best. I have and old Medico laying around here somewhere, just can't for the life of find it right now.
I'm looking for, I guess, a poker shaped pipe as I would like the option of setting it down without a stand...:confused:
What is a good, but not too expensive maker? as I'm not sure I will stay with it and don't want to waist a bunch of cash I could spend on cigars...:r

cp478
02-22-2011, 06:41 PM
Missourri meerschaum corncobs are what I recommend. Cheap and don't ghost so you can sample a lot of different baccys and not affect the flavor. I know they are ugly but you just cant beat them.

Mister Moo
02-22-2011, 07:41 PM
Browse Mastro de Paja sellers for a cherrywood sitter. They were making a pretty nice pipe a while back, not too $$$. Cherrywood is the style, btw; the pipe is made from briar.

+1 on the Missouri Meerschaum brand cobs, too.

cp478
02-22-2011, 07:46 PM
I only recommended cobs due to him not knowing if he will like it.
Mastro de paja's are very nice.

alfredo_buscatti
03-29-2011, 01:03 AM
Stanwell (Cup O' Joes has a great selection), new
Stanwell estates from smokingpipes.com or The Piperack.

What concerns me about your post is that you would appear to be purchasing your "one and only" pipe.

If so the pipe will ghost and get insufficient rest between smokes.

I would target group pipe sales of inexpensive pipes on eBay, a dozen pipes for ~$100.00.