PDA

View Full Version : Today I called the cops...

replicant_argent
02-22-2011, 04:53 PM
On the cops... just because I could.
Unmarked car out on the street in 3 or 4 different parking spots, no paint or decals on it anywhere, dark blue crown vic. Guy in a Gophers sweatshirt in the drivers seat tapping into a puter and on his phone, cam on the dash...(looked like a standard unmarked, I guess)

I wandered over to say "Hi" because he was directly in front of my house.
"What are you doing, checking speeds?" (there is a pretty high percentage of speeding on my street, I thought they might be studying it)
"Nope, something else."
And that is all he said. Which annoyed me. I am not usually a twitchy Gladys Kravitz, but...
So I called the non-emergency number, just to see if I asked what the hell he was doing (with the plate #) if they would tell me. She gave me to a dispatcher, I described an unmarked dark blue, no paint, no decals, no unit number, no gov plates car parked with a guy tapping into a computer for hours on my street and he just said "okay, we'll check it out." Of course I didn't mention the antenna pucks or anything. ;)
Truly, curiosity killed the cat, and I thought it quite odd. The wife got an "administrative traffic citation" (read "revenue generation") the other day, and first thought is that he was doing this... He wasn't, and didn't stop any cars. Not that a dude driving a police car wearing a sports themed sweatshirt would.
Just odd.

:tf

Gophernut
02-22-2011, 04:57 PM
Normally, I'd be on your side and say that he was probably up to no good. But you said he was wearing a Gophers sweatshirt, so he must be a nice guy. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt...

shark
02-22-2011, 05:21 PM
I experienced something similar quite a few years ago. I was walking down the street late one night and noticed a suspicious car (Ford Taurus) parked with the interior light on. I walked past and kept going, when I noticed that they pulled away from the curb and began tailing me for a bit. I kept walking along casually and finally they turned around and left. They weren't delivering newspapers or anything. Weird.

kydsid
02-22-2011, 05:27 PM
Might not have been a cop, might have been a fed. You gotta stop hiring those illegals to mow your lawn Pete.

replicant_argent
02-22-2011, 05:31 PM
They couldn't reach the frozen lawn under the 2 1/2 feet of snow above it right now, AND I am one of those guys that likes doing it himself... It's a control issue. Still could have been a fed, but he didn't appear to be in contact with the black helicopters hovering behind the invisible dirigibles.

MedicCook
02-22-2011, 05:31 PM
Good chance it was a PI.

Zeuceone
02-22-2011, 05:33 PM
reminds me of that pastor that got shot by an undercover police officer. the pastor was having trouble with vandalism at his church. He then proceeds to approach the vehicle in the middle of the night that was parked in the church parking lot. seems the pastor was holding his hand gun and well it didnt end well. turns out the cop was doing a routine patrol of the neighbor hood due to the vandalism.

JaKaacH
02-22-2011, 05:54 PM
Never trust a Gopher any farther than you can catapult one..:sl

TBone
02-22-2011, 06:07 PM
Good on you...I would have called from a pay phone and said I saw a suspicious persons peeping through my neighbors window then went back to the car to document what he saw...then I'd sit back and watch the fun stuff begin...just sayin

md4958
02-22-2011, 06:14 PM
"Nope, something else."
And that is all he said. Which annoyed me.

Maybe he was from US Border and Customs Patrol Pete
:lv

;s

:r:r:r

replicant_argent
02-22-2011, 06:19 PM

http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0912/sgt-schultz-sgt-shultz-knowing-nothing-demotivational-poster-1262241779.jpg

awsmith4
02-22-2011, 07:17 PM
Maybe he was part of the investigation chronicling the weird humming noises in your immediate area reported via internet forums

:tf

MajorCaptSilly
02-22-2011, 07:39 PM
I wonder if my equipment is showing up with their equipment. Might be time to move on. Your life is quite ordinary anyway with the exception of the bunny slippers you wear every day,

MCS

replicant_argent
02-22-2011, 07:40 PM
I wonder if my equipment is showing up with their equipment. Might be time to move on. Your life is quite ordinary anyway with the exception of the bunny slippers you wear every day,

MCS
Those are actual bunnies.

Wait, maybe it's the ASPCA.....

gettysburgfreak
02-22-2011, 08:37 PM

;s

:r:r:r

aww man you had to go and bust on my guys lol. We do have plain clothes units though. And were actually called US Border Patrol. We dont like being associated with customs people.

CigarNut
02-22-2011, 08:48 PM
Did he leave or otherwise change any behavior after your call?

elderboy02
02-22-2011, 08:53 PM
Maybe he was cruising for open wireless networks and stealing information from people?

icehog3
02-22-2011, 09:39 PM
Maybe he was on a stakeout or investigation and didn't feel the need to compromise it by detailing to you what he was doing? ;)

Bruzee
02-22-2011, 09:47 PM
Maybe he was on a stakeout or investigation and didn't feel the need to compromise it by detailing to you what he was doing? ;)

:tpd:

Neens
02-22-2011, 11:09 PM
I did this to a P.I once. He was out infront of my business taking pictures of the house/people one door down as well as my front area. The houses are very close and he couldn't help but get the front of my place in his shots. I went out there and asked him what was going on and he gave me an attitude. He was very rude, told me it was none of my business and that I should go back inside and leave him alone. So I called the routine calls number of the local police department, told them there was a strange man out front sitting in his car, take pictures of the front of my business and I was afraid that he might try to rob us. They sent down 3 cars which block him front, back and side and questioned him for a good 15 minutes before coming in and telling us that he was a P.I. on an insurance fraud cause. Everything could have been avoided if he was just a little nicer.

icehog3
02-23-2011, 12:05 AM
Right....he should tell someone, "yes, I am working an insurance fraud case on your neighbor". The neighbor is that person's friend, so they go inside, call him, and tell him not to do anything that will jeopardize the fraud he is perpetrating on the insurance company that hired the P.I. Yeah, makes total sense.

Neens
02-23-2011, 12:59 AM
All he had to say is that he was a P.I. working a case. It could have been on anything. He was snapping away at everything around could have been on or about anything really. Instead he decided to be rude. If he didn't want to be asked questions maybe he shouldn't have parked infront of a restaurant with large windows all along the street right after the lunch rush.

J0eybb
02-23-2011, 01:14 AM
I only assume he was coming for your light beer.

jimdandy
02-23-2011, 01:38 AM
It seems that Magnum was always a little stealthier; that was back in the good ole days I suppose.

replicant_argent
02-23-2011, 06:24 AM
I only assume he was coming for your light beer.

Thank god I have none to give him.

In retrospect, I think it may have been a city flunky working for the traffic and planning commission that borrowed an "extra" city vehicle. One with capability to run plates. We have a much higher traffic rate on our street than it was designed for, and have consulted the city about it (being a "shortcut" for a larger development that was built later behind our neighborhood.)
My only analysis was that he was running plates and plotting salient home addresses in a map to find where the high volume traffic originated from.

That.... Or he was a lost alien ship commander and couldn't recognize the adaptive cloaking of his former ship and was trying to find it.

Eleven
02-23-2011, 06:47 AM

Too bad. He should have been better at not being suspicious looking.

The first time someone gets murdered or a kid gets taken and we find out someone noticed the suspicious person but didn't notify anyone, everyone gets all bent out of shape for people 'not caring'.

Anyone parks anywhere near my house doing what this guy did in the OP, and he gets the cops called on him. He probably gets his own picture taken first, in case the cops get there late.

:2

Christiel49
02-23-2011, 07:02 AM
I'm with Dan. This makes more sense. I don't think the Feds would sit in an obvious car in plain clothes. Kinda seems to pointless.

Maybe a personal vendeta against one of your neighbors. Making them paranoid

LasciviousXXX
02-23-2011, 07:18 AM
Since when did everyone all of a sudden have a right to know what other people are doing? Or feel justified in being upset when they aren't "in on" what's going on. Was he parked on private property? Or was he on a public street?

<shakes head and walks away>

Blueface
02-23-2011, 07:28 AM
Pete,
We use lots of investigators in our fraud investigations.
The very last thing any of them will ever, ever do is tell someone the true reason why they are there, specially any information on the party being investigated. That can lead to privacy issues and result in potential slander and defamation charges.
As such, mum is the word usually.
If on public grounds and one is concerned, notify the police and let them investigate. If they are the police, well, life goes on as doubt they will share the reason for activity and tip anyone off.

replicant_argent
02-23-2011, 08:03 AM
Since when did everyone all of a sudden have a right to know what other people are doing? Or feel justified in being upset when they aren't "in on" what's going on. Was he parked on private property? Or was he on a public street?

<shakes head and walks away> If something odd or out of the ordinary happens in my neighborhood, I want to be aware of the situation.
Curiosity, nothing really more than that. It is good to remember, that sometimes the watchers need to know they too are being watched. There is a "small" amount of corruption in our fair city. Tax monies can be squandered in a multitude of ways, among other things. Look upon it as ensuring my public employees know they are on my dime. "Justified in being upset"? Not upset at all, but I do find a fair amount of cynicism and curiosity can be positively used. Situational awareness is an admirable trait, Tyr, and quite frankly, I feel it is a habit worth practicing. Some people never know what is going on around them. Any douchebag can buy an old city Crown Vic, complete with hockey pucks on the trunk, drivers side search light, etc.

Pete,
We use lots of investigators in our fraud investigations.
The very last thing any of them will ever, ever do is tell someone the true reason why they are there, specially any information on the party being investigated. That can lead to privacy issues and result in potential slander and defamation charges.
As such, mum is the word usually.
If on public grounds and one is concerned, notify the police and let them investigate. If they are the police, well, life goes on as doubt they will share the reason for activity and tip anyone off.
The car was pretty solid as being a current or retired city/county unit, but the complete lack of markings of any type raised my curiosity. There was no real attempt at being "discreet." There is, however, a fairly high percentage of my cities workers I have come into contact with (I would put it at about 80%, perhaps 4 out of the last 5 just in the past few months) haven't been the brightest bulbs on the Christmas tree. This, of course, doesn't directly correlate with the personal adage I try to remind myself of, "Folks, half of the people you run into every day are below average, and it behooves anyone to take that into account."
;)

LasciviousXXX
02-23-2011, 08:52 AM
Understood Pete. I was more pointing my comments towards Neens and his situation but I understand yours as well. I'm all for people being aware of what's going on in their neighborhood. While neighborhood watch programs are often frustrating on a quantity of calls basis, they do in fact on occasion alert officers to valid crimes etc.

I guess my issue was with the "well he was rude" post earlier up. If I had a nickel for every time someone was rude to me.... I'd have like 10 cents ;)

croatan
02-23-2011, 09:00 AM
I see a guy camped out taking pictures out in front of your house as a no-win situation. If he's on a/the job, he's not going to tell you anything, which is just going to piss you off. If he's not on a/the job, then he's probably doing something shady, which should piss you off.

And, as for the guy in the car, he's not going to be happy to have to talk to you because you're either a) screwing with his job or b) screwing with the "job" he's about to pull.

Either way, everyone is pissed off. See, no win :)

So that's why I just call Tom or Tyr ;)

replicant_argent
02-23-2011, 09:02 AM
I see a guy camped out taking pictures out in front of your house as a no-win situation. If he's on a/the job, he's not going to tell you anything, which is just going to piss you off. If he's not on a/the job, then he's probably doing something shady, which should piss you off.

And, as for the guy in the car, he's not going to be happy to have to talk to you because you're either a) screwing with his job or b) screwing with the "job" he's about to pull.

See, no win :)

So I suppose you wouldn't agree with my methodology when I pulled an Axel Foley and shoved a tater up his tailpipe?

LasciviousXXX
02-23-2011, 09:02 AM
So that's why I just call Tom or Tyr

In one more year, you can't call me anymore :tu

LasciviousXXX
02-23-2011, 09:05 AM
So I suppose you wouldn't agree with my methodology when I pulled an Axel Foley and shoved a tater up his tailpipe?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_LgHJ0Gou8p4/TC7ySzuuENI/AAAAAAAAAIE/3rNQYFWGP2A/s320/2547610.jpg

A huh huh huh <-- Axel Foley laugh ;)

markem
02-23-2011, 09:28 AM
[quote=replicant_argent;1182280]So I suppose you wouldn't agree with my methodology when I pulled an Axel Foley and shoved a tater up his tailpipe?

banana

sheesh. kids these days. And note the continuity problem in the movie where the banana he picked from the buffet clearly isn't the one be put in the tailpipe.

markem
02-23-2011, 09:30 AM

Either way, everyone is pissed off. See, no win :)

If someone is parked in your neighborhood doing something that you consider suspicious, call the local police non-emergency number and let them handle it. I live across from a grade school and anyone parked in front of my house taking pictures is gonna get reported quick.

markem
02-23-2011, 09:32 AM
I guess my issue was with the "well he was rude" post earlier up. If I had a nickel for every time someone was rude to me.... I'd have like 10 cents ;)

No one would dare be rude to you, Tyr. It's clearly wrong to be rude to someone shorter than Gerry. :tu

You set yourself up for that one, oh "luscious" one. :r

LasciviousXXX
02-23-2011, 09:42 AM
Randy Newman was rude to me once.... ONCE!

LOL, no one is rude to luscious objects of desire ;)

CigarNut
02-23-2011, 09:56 AM
I'm sorry Týr, but "Luscious" does not go with your Avatar :)

kydsid
02-23-2011, 09:59 AM
LOL, no one is rude to luscious objects of desire ;)

i dare you to say that in a falsetto voice with limp wrists.

seriosuly stuff like that is as fun as the supper troopers meow game. got me thru many a day while i was in uniform.
Posted via Mobile Device

MedicCook
02-23-2011, 10:03 AM
i dare you to say that in a falsetto voice with limp wrists.

seriosuly stuff like that is as fun as the supper troopers meow game. got me thru many a day while i was in uniform.
Posted via Mobile Device

I would play the meow game in the ambulance with the drunks. :tu

Stephen
02-23-2011, 10:12 AM
I would play the meow game in the ambulance with the drunks. :tu
I can see it meow...

"What hurts, chicken f****r..."

replicant_argent
02-23-2011, 10:21 AM
[quote=Eleven;1182162]

banana

sheesh. kids these days. And note the continuity problem in the movie where the banana he picked from the buffet clearly isn't the one be put in the tailpipe.

Artistic license.

And taters work better.

Not that I would know.

icehog3
02-23-2011, 10:24 AM
Too bad. He should have been better at not being suspicious looking.

I said he might be a cop, Scott....I never said he might be a good cop. ;) :r

icehog3
02-23-2011, 10:25 AM

In one more year, you can't call me anymore :tu

In two years you might not be able to call me either meow.

LasciviousXXX
02-23-2011, 10:48 AM
In two years you might not be able to call me either meow.

:tu THIS!!! x100 (only if you meant that in the way in which I think you mean it ;))

And Michael, the luscious thing started when someone mispronounced my username as "Luscious-XXX" :lr

icehog3
02-23-2011, 10:50 AM
:tu THIS!!! x100 (only if you meant that in the way in which I think you mean it ;))

Been crunching numbers, and it seems to make sense as long as I can figure out what to do next, and make sure whatever it is gives me some health insurance. :)

LasciviousXXX
02-23-2011, 10:53 AM
Been crunching numbers, and it seems to make sense as long as I can figure out what to do next, and make sure whatever it is gives me some health insurance.

:tu :noon :banger :xxx

Excellent! I hope it works out for you brother. Lord knows you've put in the work and the time. Much deserved. You could always become a tow truck driver and start breaking laws LOL

Starscream
02-23-2011, 10:58 AM
New banter thread!;)

LasciviousXXX
02-23-2011, 11:00 AM
New banter thread!;)

http://thenextweb.com/shareables/files/2011/02/hammerwebnew_grande.jpeg

:p

Starscream
02-23-2011, 11:02 AM
http://thenextweb.com/shareables/files/2011/02/hammerwebnew_grande.jpeg

:p

:tg

CigarNut
02-23-2011, 11:23 AM
And Michael, the luscious thing started when someone mispronounced my username as "Luscious-XXX" :lrI know, but your avatar is neither Luscious nor Lascivious... at least not for me :)

And, from what I hear from others, you are not nearly as creepy as your avatar... I will leave it to your wife/SO as to whether you are Luscious or Lascivious :D

HK3-
02-23-2011, 11:35 AM
Good on you for harassing the guy.

I would prefer to drive my car over and park it behind him and leave it there. Walk back into your house and about every 15-20 minutes press the panic button on your keys. :r

Stephen
02-23-2011, 12:37 PM

And Michael, the luscious thing started when someone mispronounced my username as "Luscious-XXX" :lr
Freudian slip?;)

hscmit
02-23-2011, 01:05 PM
Good on you for harassing the guy.

I would prefer to drive my car over and park it behind him and leave it there. Walk back into your house and about every 15-20 minutes press the panic button on your keys. :r

thats worth a :r

icehog3
02-23-2011, 02:29 PM
My butt itches.

markem
02-23-2011, 02:52 PM
My butt itches.

http://trus.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pTRU1-7060911dt.jpg

CoreyD
02-23-2011, 02:55 PM
Maybe a neighbor is up to know good or they're awaiting something . I try not to get involved.unless it is to help them.

CigarNut
02-23-2011, 03:18 PM
My butt itches.Never a good sign...

replicant_argent
02-23-2011, 03:20 PM
My butt itches.

You should call Luscious to help you take care of that, I have heard his hands can work magic.

the nub
02-23-2011, 03:31 PM
I'm glad I live in a city where I don't worry about what the cops are doing. When cruisers park in front of my house, which they've done several times over the last few years, I'm glad. It means no one is going to f*ck with my place and if something happens in my neighborhood, they're right there to stop it.

replicant_argent
02-23-2011, 03:49 PM
I'm glad I live in a city where I don't worry about what the cops are doing. When cruisers park in front of my house, which they've done several times over the last few years, I'm glad. It means no one is going to f*ck with my place and if something happens in my neighborhood, they're right there to stop it.

Don't get me wrong, I <3 cops cruising in my neighborhood. Hell, I have even volunteered, and let them use my yard to park their radar trailer.
This guy wasn't a cop. Unshaven, a little sloppy looking, moustache... I am fairly certain my city has a 'no facial hair' policy for cops, as I don't ever recall seeing any with a stache.

icehog3
02-23-2011, 04:14 PM
You should call Luscious to help you take care of that, I have heard his hands can work magic.

I am WELL aware, Pete. ;) :r

replicant_argent
02-23-2011, 04:15 PM
I am WELL aware, Pete. ;) :r

<shudders>
Where is that TMI smiley when you realllllly need it.

I gotta go use the mental floss.

icehog3
02-23-2011, 04:16 PM
<shudders>
Where is that TMI smiley when you realllllly need it.

I gotta go use the mental floss.

I like it best when Luscious loofahs my stretch marks.

replicant_argent
02-23-2011, 04:24 PM
i like it best when luscious loofahs my stretch marks.

g a a a a h h h!
M y b r a i n !

LasciviousXXX
02-23-2011, 04:32 PM
Naked pilates, followed by a vigorous shower (loofah included) = how Tom and I roll :cool:

68TriShield
02-23-2011, 04:33 PM
Is it getting hawt in here or is it just me :noon

LasciviousXXX
02-23-2011, 04:33 PM
Always just you brother :tu

:xxx

CigarNut
02-23-2011, 04:43 PM
So that's why your avatar is smiling :)

DPD6030
02-23-2011, 05:03 PM
Don't get me wrong, I <3 cops cruising in my neighborhood. Hell, I have even volunteered, and let them use my yard to park their radar trailer.
This guy wasn't a cop. Unshaven, a little sloppy looking, moustache... I am fairly certain my city has a 'no facial hair' policy for cops, as I don't ever recall seeing any with a stache.

Have you seen our UCs :r They are exempt from that no hair policy. Of course I could have a stache just not a goatee. I'd rather have a goat. It produces milk which can make cheese.

taltos
02-23-2011, 05:57 PM
Been crunching numbers, and it seems to make sense as long as I can figure out what to do next, and make sure whatever it is gives me some health insurance. :)Perhaps your next job will be Chief of Campus Cops at some school that caters to dumb rich girls.:tu

taltos
02-23-2011, 06:00 PM
I am WELL aware, Pete. ;) :rIs he tall enough to reach your butt?:r:r

icehog3
02-23-2011, 07:06 PM
Perhaps your next job will be Chief of Campus Cops at some school that caters to dumb rich girls.:tu

Or maybe I could cut out the middle man, and just cater to dumb rich girls myself. :)

markem
02-23-2011, 07:12 PM
Or maybe I could cut out the middle man, and just cater to dumb rich girls myself. :)

You already do ... it's just that they don't know it :noon

icehog3
02-23-2011, 07:18 PM
You already do ... it's just that they don't know it :noon

Cuz their so durn stoopid!!! :r

markem
02-23-2011, 07:18 PM
cuz their so durn stoopid!!! :r

o ... M ... G !!!