PDA

View Full Version : Vacation In Washington DC

pnoon
02-19-2011, 12:23 PM
In mid-October, my wife and I will be visiting Washington DC for 8 days. She has never been to DC and I have not been since I was 12 years old. So it will be like a first time visit for me as well.

The only firm plans we have so far is that we will be flying into Reagan Airport. I would like to hear from locals and recent visitors regarding accommodations, dining, sightseeing etc. We plan on visiting the famous memorials, monuments, the Smithsonian, etc. but would like to hear what you all have to suggest. I am not averse to using public transportation and avoiding renting a car for the week. I also have the green light to plan an afternoon or evening for a herf so I may need a car anyway.

Let me hear what you have to say.

Ogre
02-19-2011, 12:34 PM
Peter, I will have Leigh send you a PM when she gets home from work. She used to live and work there. I am sure she would have a few ideas for you.

kaisersozei
02-19-2011, 01:01 PM
If you're not venturing out of DC, you can take the metro to just about everything you'd want to do. You would want to avoid navigating through the District anyway.

Most of the time I'm up there, we're staying with friends & relatives so I'd have to check on accommodations recommendations...! The various museums, monuments, zoo, Arlington National Cemetery, Pentagon, etc., will take you all week to enjoy. Mixed in with a herf or two, you've got yourself an eventful vacation!

pnoon
02-19-2011, 01:01 PM
Peter, I will have Leigh send you a PM when she gets home from work. She used to live and work there. I am sure she would have a few ideas for you.

Excellent, Larry. Thank you. A PM is fine or posting in the thread will work, too.
Either way.

pnoon
02-19-2011, 01:09 PM
If you're not venturing out of DC, you can take the metro to just about everything you'd want to do. You would want to avoid navigating through the District anyway.

Most of the time I'm up there, we're staying with friends & relatives so I'd have to check on accommodations recommendations...! The various museums, monuments, zoo, Arlington National Cemetery, Pentagon, etc., will take you all week to enjoy. Mixed in with a herf or two, you've got yourself an eventful vacation!

I know I could spend 3 or 4 weeks and not see everything I wanted to. That is why I am looking for some specific ideas as well. I'm definitely going to have to make some choices and I am sure I will miss some things I would like to see.

Ogre
02-19-2011, 01:12 PM
If it would be easier, would you rather talk on the phone??? She should be home in about 15 min.

pnoon
02-19-2011, 01:16 PM
If it would be easier, would you rather talk on the phone??? She should be home in about 15 min.

That mighe work down the road. I'd like to see what suggestions she and other members have then talk with my wife. But a phone conversation at a later date would be great.

tsolomon
02-19-2011, 01:25 PM
From Reagan you can hop right on the Metro and get to most places around town. Look for a hotel that is also close to a Metro station and you should be good. As for restaurants, that would depend on what types of food you like and how much you want to spend. Between Maryland, DC and Virginia, there are a number of very good ethnic restaurants as well. Most of the museums and other attractions are free and well worth the trip. You could spend several days just checking out all the attractions down on the mall. High on my list would be the Museum of Natural History, Air and Space and the Indian Museum. All of these are right on the mall and you walk to them easily. The National Zoo is also on my list if the weather is nice.

Ogre
02-19-2011, 01:29 PM
Hi Peter
Its Leigh, just got home, depends on where you are staying, but there are of course all of the amazing museums in DC, right over the line in VA is the spy museum and news museum. There is also the DC zoo, famous. Georgetown is a must do. An adventure would be to drive over to Annapolis, MD and Fells Point. Another adventure would be off to the Baltimore aquarium in the harbor area with great seafood. When it gets closer let me know and where you all are staying and I can go further into details. The kennedy center for a show is also fantastic and the fords theater.

pnoon
02-19-2011, 01:36 PM
From Reagan you can hop right on the Metro and get to most places around town. Look for a hotel that is also close to a Metro station and you should be good. As for restaurants, that would depend on what types of food you like and how much you want to spend. Between Maryland, DC and Virginia, there are a number of very good ethnic restaurants as well. Most of the museums and other attractions are free and well worth the trip. You could spend several days just checking out all the attractions down on the mall. High on my list would be the Museum of Natural History, Air and Space and the Indian Museum. All of these are right on the mall and you walk to them easily. The National Zoo is also on my list if the weather is nice.

Hi Peter
Its Leigh, just got home, depends on where you are staying, but there are of course all of the amazing museums in DC, right over the line in VA is the spy museum and news museum. There is also the DC zoo, famous. Georgetown is a must do. An adventure would be to drive over to Annapolis, MD and Fells Point. Another adventure would be off to the Baltimore aquarium in the harbor area with great seafood. When it gets closer let me know and where you all are staying and I can go further into details. The kennedy center for a show is also fantastic and the fords theater.
Excellent.
Food is wide open. We like all kinds of ethnic food as well as fine dining and deli/bistro/cafe.
Keep the ideas coming.

bvilchez
02-19-2011, 01:47 PM
If you plan on visiting some locations that have an entrance fee or charge let me know. I might be able to get you military discounted tickets.

RGD.
02-19-2011, 01:54 PM
Reagan Airport? Oh, you mean National. Locals still and always will call it National while tourist and newbies call it Reagan - so if you say Reagan expect a moment or two for it to sink in.

I would suggest taking a look at the hotels in National Harbor (http://www.nationalharbor.com/intro.htm). While it's not in DC it's close to National. It's new, has great hotels, restaurants and things to do in the evening safely by walking (I love Bobby McKeys, a dueling piano bar there). And it's not bad for being centrally located to not only visit the typical DC sites but also Virginia and Maryland. I'm pretty sure that Dave (Da Klugs) stayed there on one of his visits from what I remember.

In Virginia you will find Old Town Alexandria, Mount Vernon (George Washington's Home), a heavy dose of Civil War sites and battlefields, the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum at Dulles Airport and Arlington National Cemetery (The changing of the guard is something to see at least once) to name a few.

October would be a great time to visit. You miss the summer tourist crowds, the heat and stifling humidity. The trees will be changing colors, Oktoberfest will be popping up and around. And I'm pretty sure that the Maryland Renaissance Fair will be going on during your visit dates. Temps should be anywhere from the low 60's to upper 70's.

Transportation. I always suggest a mixture of rental car and public. The subways run through DC and into Maryland and Virginia. And you have the bus system. The metro system does not run 24/7. Keep in mind that millions work in and around DC. Rush hours here are extended both in the morning and evening. Taking a rental to a metro subway/bus location gives good flexibility.

Anyway - you have plenty of time to plan and explore all the options and sites.

Ron

tsolomon
02-19-2011, 02:06 PM
Excellent.
Food is wide open. We like all kinds of ethnic food as well as fine dining and deli/bistro/cafe.
Keep the ideas coming.My wife is the foodie and keeps track of the restaurants around town. As you figure out what you're doing and where you're going to be she could probably tell you what is close and good.

MarioF
02-19-2011, 02:19 PM
Peter, we lost our internet connection because of a huge wind storm, so when it comes back I'll get you more ideas of stuff to do. You've had great suggestions so far. The main thing you need to do though is come over for dinner one night, we'll make some homemade pizza, drink some wine and have a cigar. Maybe we can get some other locals to join us!
Posted via Mobile Device

icehog3
02-19-2011, 02:30 PM
Don't forget to stop by Marion Barry's smoking lounge, admission is free.

68TriShield
02-19-2011, 03:02 PM
I would host a herf/dinner for you two in half a heartbeat Peter.
That said,I am close by so plan to see me/us along the line. We'll make ourselves available.
:)

Stephen
02-19-2011, 03:11 PM
Something that has yet to be brought up yet; touring the White House. I believe tickets are free, but you have to go through your Congressman and provide the dates you'll be in town. This should be done at least a couple of months in advance. They could also try and work you in with a guided tour if you enquire.

HK3-
02-19-2011, 03:38 PM
Lived & worked there for five years... Some of my favorites-
http://www.shellysdc.com/ -dinner and cigar smoking
http://www.hayadams.com/washington-dc-bars.php - Great place to stop in for a drink.

hotreds
02-19-2011, 05:30 PM
You have got to include a visit to the FBI!

loki
02-19-2011, 05:40 PM
wife's sister works in dc so I've got a place to crash post herf...

replicant_argent
02-19-2011, 06:30 PM
That said,I am close by so plan to see me/us along the line. We'll make ourselves available.

You beat me to it, Dave, I was going to suggest this as a must do.

mpd340
02-19-2011, 07:21 PM
Checking out Annapolis, MD is a must!

chenvt
02-19-2011, 07:32 PM

I was going to say Dave's is a must-see :D

Peter, for stuff in DC I think it would help a little if you had certain interests. There's the history, memorial, restaurants, etc. Every person is different in those scenarios.

I think a lot of it depends on what you or the wife are interested in. That being said, do you know what area you are looking to stay at? There are advantages to staying outside and advantages to staying inside the city. Maximizing time doing things versus in the train/car is important. Also helps us pinpoint a good place you can go smoke at :)

ade06
02-19-2011, 08:24 PM
I grew up in D.C. so you are in for a great vacation! There are so many things to do and see in D.C. One of the best parts of visiting DC is that the National attractions (e.g., the Mall (the area where most of the muesems are located), Zoo, White House Tours, etc.) are FREE. Restaurants are fit for foodies, but be fore warned that the food tax is 10%, so with tip expect to add 30% to the cost of a meal. The Hayadams is great, but pricey (I've stayed there and didn't think it was worth the dime (great service though)). Definitly stop by for a happy hour drink or two, if you want be check out the polical power scene. National is a great airport and is connected to the Metro, so you don't really need a car to get around. There is just too much to DC to outline in one post, so I'll pop in and add more comments as your trip gets closer.

P.S. Boo to Icehog's Mayor Berry comment! IL politicians don’t necessarily have the greatest track records either… :)

swh127
02-19-2011, 09:02 PM
Never been here before, but my friends love the all you can eat meat place fugo de chao (http://www.fogodechao.com/)

sammyboy405
03-05-2011, 03:10 PM
I Lived in Washington DC for a year when I was in the Air Force. I was Stationed at Bolling AFB. I Enjoyed it.. I didnt have a car there, and i used the Metro all the time. Get the extended passes When i was there they had a week Pass, I think it was 20/30 bucks for a week pass. Tour the Pentagon. Its really neat. The Metro goes right too it. Also if you get a chance Write a Letter to a State Senator telling them you are going to DC and when, and that you'd like to Tour the White House. You have to be recommended by a senator in order to get a tour.

Also The Metro you can get to the Mall (Smithsonian) Also easy access to anywhere as long as you dont mind doing some walking.

I was in the Presidential Honor Guard when I was there. And I was Privileged to see alot of neat stuff. Stay away from the South East Side of DC Over near where Bolling AFB is.

HK3-
03-06-2011, 06:40 AM
Changing of the guards at the Arlington Natl Cemetary is worth a visit as well.

joeobx
03-06-2011, 06:47 AM
If you have the time and a car, a ride down 95 to the National Marine Corp museum is pretty cool.

Starscream
03-06-2011, 11:03 AM
Since you have 8 days, I would recommend making the drive to Baltimore and checking it out for a day.

kydsid
03-06-2011, 11:13 AM
Changing of the guards at the Arlington Natl Cemetary is worth a visit as well.

Definitely. One of the best experiences I have ever had. But remember NOT to cross the rail. A lady tried to cross the rail to get to another seat when I was there. The guard was facing away with his back to the lady. Man had eyes in the back of his head. He spun on a dime, changed his rifle from parade rest to ready rest (I think thats how you call it when moved from shoulder to a two handed grip), and with utmost authority said, "Mam, please return behind the guard rail immediately"

Was awe inspiring. And the changing of the guard was even better.

floydpink
03-06-2011, 12:27 PM
I may be able to assist with accomodations if you need them.

PM me if I can help.

It's been a while, but when my brother graduated from Annapolis, we spent some time there and I was extremely glad I paid for the tour where you can get on and off all day and see the highlights with someone telling you what you are looking at.

loki
03-06-2011, 01:03 PM
if you can get out to dulas and check out the air and space hanger there, it is awesome. Parking sucks @ $15 but the hanger is really cool to see. Don't bother going t the nra museum....it blows goats

pnoon
03-06-2011, 02:17 PM
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions so far. As I said before, there is no way I could do everything I wanted to if I had 8 weeks - let alone 8 days.

Based on these suggestions and those from family and friends outside of CA, we now have much to look into.

Keep the suggestions coming.

:tu